TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Doing it on the track!!!

FordRocks1

Well, last night was the Grand opening at the Homestead Speedway in Miami and I just had to run my car, they still do not have time slips or a tree light and its only a 1/8 of a mile however, if the turn out continues to grow it will eventually become a full 1/4 mile with all the goods.

Anyway, my first time up was against a GT500 modded and I was nervous as F*** but ran him anyways but his car was not running right.

I am hooked on this now, here is a vid of the local news covering the event, notice at 0:23 the other SGT in the far lane getting a good start, yeah, it was me VS another SGT and I am running on the 20's but I need to get some 18's though. I beat him but others beat on me too.

http://cbs4.com/video/?id=78691@wfor.dayport.com

Well, last night was the Grand opening at the Homestead Speedway in Miami and I just had to run my car, they still do not have time slips or a tree light and its only a 1/8 of a mile however, if the turn out continues to grow it will eventually become a full 1/4 mile with all the goods.

Anyway, my first time up was against a GT500 modded and I was nervous as F*** but ran him anyways but his car was not running right.

I am hooked on this now, here is a vid of the local news covering the event, notice at 0:23 the other SGT in the far lane getting a good start, yeah, it was me VS another SGT and I am running on the 20's but I need to get some 18's though. I beat him but others beat on me too.

http://cbs4.com/video/?id=78691@wfor.dayport.com

Is that pit road you guys are dragging down? LOL...that is too coll!!

Wish Connecticut would do that somewhere, but I think the Safety Police are too powerful here to allow it.

Is that pit road you guys are dragging down? LOL...that is too coll!!

Sure is the pit road and we got to use the garage stalls to do any work that was need, HMS is really trying to push for a 1/4 mile.

My wife said that she will come with me next time so I'm hoping she will like it and so we can do this more often, one thing is that I learned many things about my car just from this one night, the shift points, launching at different RPM's, how tire pressure affects launching and that if I am to go with some 3.73 or even 4.10 gears I will need to get some 18's to stick the rear..The one guy with with the other SGT actually road courses his SGT upgraded the brakes/brake fluids and went with 3.73 and says the car is a blast on the track and will give me any info about road course so I can't wait for that, is good to find helpful people in the car world.

looks like you had some fun, Chris! I haven't been yet either, but hope to go somewhere and let her wail...Craig :shift:

Yeah, I had fun, my hands were shaking all night from the adrenaline rush you get running your car WOT down the track, I kissed the limiter a few times for running hard and trying to keep your eyes on the tach is kind of hard maybe I need to get a shift light so to avoid the limiter, this is addicting, trust me try it once and you'll be hooked.

Still with many mustang guys out there they kept asking me "how does 500HP feel like?", and I have to give them the break down about this Shelby being a SGT and not the GT500 but hey when you don't see many of these SGT's around you can't blame them for not knowing the difference.

Wish Connecticut would do that somewhere, but I think the Safety Police are too powerful here to allow it.

That's a great idea to open the track up for drag racing. Seems like a good way to keep racing off the streets and on the track!

You're right, they'll never figure out how to do this in CT. Too many lawyers and insurance agents!

-yellow pony

Great story! Thanks for the vid man.

Racing is so big in Northern California in general that I can't imagine NOT having several tracks within short driving distance.

I feel bad for you guys that don't have the same luxury! But if I lived where you live, I'd be figuring out a way to open up my own track. ;)

Ken

There are 3 dragstrips within 75 miles from me and they all let the public race. I've only done it once though; hope to do more when the temps drop below 100!!

"Run what ya Brung"....the old saying used to go.... :dog:

once you go track, you never go back. :shift:

LOL!! Here is another vid, I'm the one on the outside lane, I had the guy at the begging but I don't know what happened, he is running 18's and has 3.73 could that be the reason he beat me? :headscratch: Wonder if I should go 4.10 but without the hook again its pointless, need new rear wheels/DR's.

I'm finally getting my SGT on the drag strip :happy feet: on August 21. Our Mustang club is going head to head against another Mustang club at Rocky Mountain Raceway in Salt Lake. Supposedly similar cars from each club will be paired off. I just want to see what my stock SGT can do now this I am pushing 6K miles and feel it loosening up.

The week before we are doing a 2.3 mile road course against the clock at Miller Motorsports Park as part of the annual Intermountain Mustang and All Ford show opur club sponsors.

Two totally different racing styles in a week :happy feet: :happy feet:

I'm finally getting my SGT on the drag strip :happy feet: on August 21. Our Mustang club is going head to head against another Mustang club at Rocky Mountain Raceway in Salt Lake. Supposedly similar cars from each club will be paired off. I just want to see what my stock SGT can do now this I am pushing 6K miles and feel it loosening up.

The week before we are doing a 2.3 mile road course against the clock at Miller Motorsports Park as part of the annual Intermountain Mustang and All Ford show opur club sponsors.

Two totally different racing styles in a week :happy feet: :happy feet:

Sweet!! I will be going again this week to my local track just for fun, I have 11,000 miles on mine and she is still running strong but I want gears and tires, do post your time. GL

I suk! Went to raceway park in jersey friday and stunk up the joint with my two 15 sec runs. Actually high 15's first run, missed third on second run, and beating my friends stock stang with a low 15 on the third run. And as far as reaction time, well lets just say I had green starring at me all night :banghead: But like anything else practice makes perfect". Gotta find 2 sec somewhere! I know I forgot to turn the traction control off on my third run. And I can't prove it but I think the ac was on too. I also babied first gear. Bottom line is my shifting suks :censored:

I suk! Went to raceway park in jersey friday and stunk up the joint with my two 15 sec runs. Actually high 15's first run, missed third on second run, and beating my friends stock stang with a low 15 on the third run. And as far as reaction time, well lets just say I had green starring at me all night :banghead: But like anything else practice makes perfect". Gotta find 2 sec somewhere! I know I forgot to turn the traction control off on my third run. And I can't prove it but I think the ac was on too. I also babied first gear. Bottom line is my shifting suks :censored:

I was missing third also alot, I think its because I didn't press the clutch in all the way, the thing is that I didn't want to kiss the limiter and in a split second if not shifting right you'll miss it. A shift light may fix that for looking at the track and tach is kind of hard to do while hauling a$$.

I actually ran better with TC on for with it off I was spinning the 20's into oblivion :cry:

I try not to dump the clutch off the go, I ease it out and then romp on it, what RPM's are you launching at?

I was missing third also alot, I think its because I didn't press the clutch in all the way, the thing is that I didn't want to kiss the limiter and in a split second if not shifting right you'll miss it. A shift light may fix that for looking at the track and tach is kind of hard to do while hauling a$$.

I actually ran better with TC on for with it off I was spinning the 20's into oblivion :cry:

I try not to dump the clutch off the go, I ease it out and then romp on it, what RPM's are you launching at?

I launched @ around 3grand but plan to be way more agressive next time :victory:

Luckily when I went, I didn't have to worry about that. I have an auto.

I just revved up the engine until just before the tires broke loose and held it there until launch time.

My times with the TC on was pretty consistent when it was off.

I can't wait to go again for my second time, probably not till it cools down some.

Archived