TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rusty rear theory

1) Warehouse flooded and rear axle and housing were on the ground floor of shelving

2) Storage lot at Flat Rock flooded putting all Shelby's under 22" of water

3) Cars driven in rain prior to delivery to dealer

4) Cars transported in rain

5) Poor quality assurance to not coat parts made of iron elements

P.S. - you can make this fun too as we are all in despair of not having our cars yet

Rear Axles were transported from China in the bilge of a Chinese Freighter that had to run bilge pumps constantly :titanic: . Or were left outside at Flat Rock and all the local stray dogs used them as a daily pissing post :dogwalk: :dog: :hysterical2: .

1) Warehouse flooded and rear axle and housing were on the ground floor of shelving

2) Storage lot at Flat Rock flooded putting all Shelby's under 22" of water

3) Cars driven in rain prior to delivery to dealer

4) Cars transported in rain

5) Poor quality assurance to not coat parts made of iron elements

P.S. - you can make this fun too as we are all in despair of not having our cars yet

since this has been happening at least back to 2007,its somethin basic to the system.I spoke to a dear friend who has alot of experience building cars for Ford and he said it was simply that Ford hasnt told their supplier to make the parts so they wont rust--it doesnt cost anymore to buy either part.So Ive got a little skunk works deal going to see how things can be improved..

I went to AAI last year and took the tour. Before the tour we got to have a Q&A session and ask the Ford GT500 Resident Engineering manager a bunch of questions.

I asked him about the rusty rear axle.

He told us all that it's not painted due to the money it would cost and that it would raise the price of the car and they wanted to keep it affordable.

Here's pic's from the Q&A meeting.

Dearborn2008048.jpg

Dearborn2008050.jpg

Dearborn2008051.jpg

Dearborn2008052.jpg

Dearborn2008053.jpg

Dearborn2008054.jpg

Dearborn2008056.jpg

Dearborn2008057.jpg

Dearborn2008058.jpg

Dearborn2008059.jpg

I went to AAI last year and took the tour. Before the tour we got to have a Q&A session and ask the Ford GT500 Resident Engineering manager a bunch of questions.

He told us all that it's not painted due to the money it would cost and that it would raise the price of the car and they wanted to keep it affordable.

Here's pic's from the Q&A meeting.

Dearborn2008048.jpg

Dearborn2008050.jpg

Dearborn2008051.jpg

Dearborn2008052.jpg

Dearborn2008053.jpg

Dearborn2008054.jpg

Dearborn2008056.jpg

Dearborn2008057.jpg

Dearborn2008058.jpg

Dearborn2008059.jpg

Sounds like one of Obamas speeches, ie if they say it often enough it becomes true--did they give you a BS button that you could push??

Winnar!! They were probably thinking you were asking to chrome the thing, but they probably didn't understand "How about a simple dab of Por?".

:hysterical2:

Affordable - to most at $50,000?

I guess $50,002 wouldn't be affordable?

:tease:

+1 Our tour group also asked the same question. Apparantly, none of the Ford axles are painted and the supplier or Ford would have to add a paint facility to paint the axles. It is strictly a cosmetic issue and they do not want to spend the money on it. That said, I would prefer they painted it!

+1 Our tour group also asked the same question. Apparantly, none of the Ford axles are painted and the supplier or Ford would have to add a paint facility to paint the axles. It is strictly a cosmetic issue and they do not want to spend the money on it. That said, I would prefer they painted it!

I still think the reasons are bogus.Think about it--if they make 7,000 shelbys,and let all the other Mustangs rust, they could paint the Shelby parts with one guy,with a few spray cans.I have been told that the vendor could do the rustproofing at no additonal cost.But Ford hasnt speced it in.If you had a customer that was willing to spend almost 60% for a product,wouldnt you make it one that didnt rust.I have 3 other cars,non-Ford exept for an XJR that havent rusted and they are 8 years old,and the casrs cost less than the Shelby.Lets see if they change--

Winnar!! They were probably thinking you were asking to chrome the thing, but they probably didn't understand "How about a simple dab of Por?".

No he understood. John is a member here on TS and saw my thread on my Rusty rear and the paint job I did to it. John knew exactly what I was asking !!!!

Exactly.

What's up with the arm covers? Was it cold? lol

Safety gear that we were required to wear as we toured the entire facility and saw every stage of the cars being built. We were right in there feet away from the robots.

In 2007 Ford must of went with the lowest bidder on the axle who found a way to cut cost by painting only the pumpkin and leaving the axle tubes and brackets unpainted. In 2009 they must have found another lowest bidder because the pumpkin isn't painted for 2009 and 2010 - just think of all the savings!

In 2007 Ford must of went with the lowest bidder on the axle who found a way to cut cost by painting only the pumpkin and leaving the axle tubes and brackets unpainted. In 2009 they must have found another lowest bidder because the pumpkin isn't painted for 2009 and 2010 - just think of all the savings!

my 2010 has a painted pumpkin!!Semi-gloss black, good paint job actually

Hmmm, I guess the pumpkins come painted in two colors then - black and .... orange.

Pumpkin-1.jpg2010_GT500_Axle1-1.jpg

no kidding--is the black rusting on your car!!i didnt clear that area yet,but guess i should--have others gotten rust on their rear pumpkin

no kidding--is the black rusting on your car!!i didnt clear that area yet,but guess i should--have others gotten rust on their rear pumpkin

The first picture is my car's rear end back in 2007 after I removed the rust but before I applied primer and overcoat. The factory paint on the pumpkin is holding up quite well still. I primed the exposed lip just under the cover and I primed and painted the two buttons that are shown rusting in the picture. The second picture is a 2010 GT500 rear end taken shortly after the owner took delivery. I also saw a picture of another car where the pumpkin was covered with rust along with the one you posted on another thread where the car was tilted up on its side.

The first picture is my car's rear end back in 2007 after I removed the rust but before I applied primer and overcoat. The factory paint on the pumpkin is holding up quite well still. I primed the exposed lip just under the cover and I primed and painted the two buttons that are shown rusting in the picture. The second picture is a 2010 GT500 rear end taken shortly after the owner took delivery. I also saw a picture of another car where the pumpkin was covered with rust along with the one you posted on another thread where the car was tilted up on its side.

thru a really good friend,got an email off to Mulally on the rust issue.Just got off the phone withone of his exec assistants who had the pics i sent her from th TS site of the rust on new cars.She was shocked and said they were not aware of the problem.She had contacted Ford enginering VP for the product and SVT. Ive wokred for big companies so this may be deep-6d, but at least i now know Ford CEO is aware of the issue.I said to her, Ford is really upsetting their best market segment on delivery and quality--she had seen the TS website.So, lets see what feedback i get from here

my 2010 has a painted pumpkin!!Semi-gloss black, good paint job actually

I've seen the pictures of your axle and it appears your pumpkin is unpainted from the factory. The only thing that looks painted is the differential cover. Am I missing something? :headscratch:

I've seen the pictures of your axle and it appears your pumpkin is unpainted from the factory. The only thing that looks painted is the differential cover. Am I missing something? :headscratch:

sorry--misunderstood what a pumpkin was--i thoght it was the cover for the differential--yes that was the only painted part in the rear--what is the pumpkin??

sorry--misunderstood what a pumpkin was--i thoght it was the cover for the differential--yes that was the only painted part in the rear--what is the pumpkin??

The pumpkin is the big housing in the center between the axle tubes - contains the differential and ring/pinion gears. The cover bolts to it. The pumpkin was painted at one time, at some point Ford must have stopped doing that.

Archived