TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vibrations When Shifting from 1st to 2nd

requis

Just curious if anyone else has run into any type of vibrations when shifting from first to second. I went in to my Ford Dealership for my first oil change...and I indicated that the there was a serious vibration when going from first to second gear. I indicated I thought and had read about clutch chatter that this might be the issue.

Service manager asked me to take him for a spin with a smile that would shortly disappear. We drove probably around twenty feet when I was told abruptly to stop the car. Asked me to get out and get in the passenger seat he drove probably another 30 or so feet and pulled back into the dealership and immediately put the car on the lift...I've now got a Taurus as a loaner and will keep you posted. They think its a drive shaft issue or a Diff issue. And with 700KM very little in the way of aggresive driving.

Was just curious if any one else was or has experienced anything similar as the vibration can get very violet when you shift hard. Just a thought also watch for the infamous clutch chatter information it could be something else.

Cheers,

Requis

Just curious if anyone else has run into any type of vibrations when shifting from first to second. I went in to my Ford Dealership for my first oil change...and I indicated that the there was a serious vibration when going from first to second gear. I indicated I thought and had read about clutch chatter that this might be the issue.

Service manager asked me to take him for a spin with a smile that would shortly disappear. We drove probably around twenty feet when I was told abruptly to stop the car. Asked me to get out and get in the passenger seat he drove probably another 30 or so feet and pulled back into the dealership and immediately put the car on the lift...I've now got a Taurus as a loaner and will keep you posted. They think its a drive shaft issue or a Diff issue. And with 700KM very little in the way of aggresive driving.

Was just curious if any one else was or has experienced anything similar as the vibration can get very violet when you shift hard. Just a thought also watch for the infamous clutch chatter information it could be something else.

Cheers,

Requis

I would be driveshaft issue. I had a two piece driveshaft in a bronco II that went out one time and it started gradually with a vibration that went away when I got to highway speed. It got worse and worse until I finally had the shop inspect it. I ended up replacing the entire driveshaft and joints.

Cheers,

Requis

That sucks! Keep us posted,

I've heard that some are having clutch issues as the clutch is made here and assembled in Mexico and sometimes the bolts are coming loose as the locktight is either absent or not sufficient.

Do you have any loud noises accompanying the vibrations?

Did you inspect the driveshaft and U-joints yourself first??

I would have demanded a Mustang GT at least or maybe a Lincoln town car.... a Taurus??? That's aweful!!!

Cheers,

Requis

That sucks Barry, I was by there today and Gary told me the story. Hopefully it's only the shaft and you'll be good to go.

Good luck buddy

Paul

That sucks! Keep us posted,

I've heard that some are having clutch issues as the clutch is made here and assembled in Mexico and sometimes the bolts are coming loose as the locktight is either absent or not sufficient.

Do you have any loud noises accompanying the vibrations?

Did you inspect the driveshaft and U-joints yourself first??

I would have demanded a Mustang GT at least or maybe a Lincoln town car.... a Taurus??? That's aweful!!!

No loud noises, just a very strong vibration, no I did not inspect the shaft myself as well I'm fairly new to the performance car thing so I would not have had any inkling as to what I was looking for.

Will do!

Cheers,

Requis

That sucks Barry, I was by there today and Gary told me the story. Hopefully it's only the shaft and you'll be good to go.

Good luck buddy

Paul

Thanks Paul hopefully thats it, The season is likely winding down anyways.

I'll keep you posted!

Barry

Cheers,

Requis

Our first Shelby that was sold in August had the same issues. Lots of chatter and later vibration when shifting gears. We ordered a new clutch and when we took off the original, seems that the pressure plate straps that are normally held by rivets, ford used a bolt instead with a nut at the top that was loc tited.

These units are made in america, but assembled in mexico. A nut had come off one of the bolts that hold the straps in thats what was causing the racket.

Tell your tech at the store when they get the new clutch in from Ford ... to take off all the nuts and re torque them down using alot of red loc tite to insure they dont come off !

Thats what we did

dond

Cheers,

Requis

I have not had a vibration but more like a "clunk" when shifting, almost like a loose trans. mount or maybe a midshift bearing. Anyone else have a "clunking" sound during shifts??

Archived