TEAM SHELBY FORUM

it just getting crazier

I do not care what Mr. Shelby puts out of his upgraded special this special that- there is only one true 40th anniversery Shelby and that is the factory car produced by Ford out of its regular production for 2007. It truly is the car that duplicated the whole Shelby program and all Shelby motor sports is doing is putting a bunch of simple to somewhat complex items on factory cars to try to lure your money and create a one of five hundred or whatever- it may work but what a waiste of money. The aftermarket is doing a better job of retaining the cars while adding improvemnts without taking away from the car that what makes it original. Now that were all the way to 2010 and still going my 2007 could be a classic before ford is done producing gt 500s. There are so many versions of Shelby motor cars out there with so many different badging that who can remember what is what. It is quite simple to remember the first real 40th anniversry gt 500 car produced by ford right off the assembly line- sound like maybe how it was done in 67- Hey I got the shaft for paying way over invoice for my 07but as time goes by I feel more and more like I have the real thing. It is not a money thing as much as a purest thing. If it's the real thing leave it alone- especially what you see. Give me the 07 shitty clutch and all. Even our friendly moderator owns an 07. So if you paid the big bucks for the real thing- 07- at least know it is the real thing. How would I feel if I owned an 08 or later- blessed I guess but not quite the same. Is the 07 a better car maybe not but it does have the true and only 40th production produced number on it- a first with model changes and years following.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you're saying the SVT produced 2007 GT 500 is the true 40th anniversary and are annoyed by SAI 40th anniversary version because it takes away from the true 40th annivesary? Just making sure I understand.

It is quite simple to remember the first real 40th anniversry gt 500 car produced by ford right off the assembly line- sound like maybe how it was done in 67-
Actually in 67 the GT 500s were made at the Shelby facility in L.A. In 68 they moved assembly to the A.O. Smith facility in Livonia, MI.

the whole Shelby program and all Shelby motor sports is doing is putting a bunch of simple to somewhat complex items on factory cars to try to lure your money and create a one of five hundred or whatever
Well it is a for profit business. If they don't generate excitement/interest in their products they aren't going to stay in business very long.

My opinion is that the 40th editions produced in Vegas are the 'real 40th anniversary editions'. Your car was built in 07 by Ford, 40 years after Shelby American built the first GT500.

The 40th upgrade is offered by Shelby Autos, 40 years after Shelby American built the first GT500. Seems pretty simple to me. Not to take away from what your 07 means to you, but I doubt many share your sentiment on the 40th packages offered by the man that built the cars to begin with.

Ken

My opinion is that the 40th editions produced in Vegas are the 'real 40th anniversary editions'. Your car was built in 07 by Ford, 40 years after Shelby American built the first GT500.

The 40th upgrade is offered by Shelby Autos, 40 years after Shelby American built the first GT500. Seems pretty simple to me. Not to take away from what your 07 means to you, but I doubt many share your sentiment on the 40th packages offered by the man that built the cars to begin with.

Ken

+1

I agree with Ken and since I have a car at Shelby Autos currently being converted to a 40th I have voted already with my wallet. I for one am glad to have the option to have SAI create a limited special edition of my '07. Now had the GT500 been produced like the Shelby GT or KR where it was sent first to Shelby for mods before being sent to a Ford dealer then it would be more like '67. Even in this senario I think SAI would still have offered the 40th and SS packages because they could make more money.

I can sympathize with how some people feel about the 40th anniversary car.

I have a 2008 model and wanted an affordable package available to 2008-2009 owners. The only package available for 08-09 owners at the time was the SuperSnake package at $30k. The 40th package (07 owners only)at $12k was affordable for most so, I decided to start a thread about it in the "Ask Amy" section to get a feel how other 08-09 owners felt. Well, like I suspected, most '08-09 owners agreed that they wanted a package available to them that did not cost $30k.

Amy wrote me and asked me to put together a package so I did. I took into account the 40th package and didn't want to simply "copy" it....I thought that would be unfair. I instead, designed a package that would be different, yet easy for Team Shelby to put together. The biggest request in my idea was the suspension. Hell, we have the HP, we just needed some suspension help. I'm glad the team went with the FRPP suspension as I wrote in my email to Amy.

Looking back, I have no idea how much of an influence my idea of a package was to the team. I would hope that some of my ideas played a role. I tried to steer away from the 40th package but the final result was not my decision. I'm not the CEO of Team Shelby, i'm just a Shelby enthusiast.

Are you're saying the SVT produced 2007 GT 500 is the true 40th anniversary and are annoyed by SAI 40th anniversary version because it takes away from the true 40th annivesary? Just making sure I understand.

Actually in 67 the GT 500s were made at the Shelby facility in L.A. In 68 they moved assembly to the A.O. Smith facility in Livonia, MI.

it

Well it is a for profit business. If they don't generate excitement/interest in their products they aren't going to stay in business very long.

What were they when they arrived in L.A. - were they not fastbacks- did Shelby not endorse the 07 and help design it for ford- how many regular 07s did he take to Vegas and turn into 07 Shelby's- the factory ford is still a 40th anniversery shelby- do you agree with that or would you take that away and just say it happened to be fourty years ago this 07 Shelby from the ford factory was built- Ford and Shelby promoted the car as the 40th anniversery from the factory.

no offense but it seems the only Real Collector car that matters is the 2008 KR, which is also a 40th aniver. since the 1st one was a 68KR, so everyone paying for there there 40th badges and stuf for the 07-09GT500's do it cause they like the package not that it really means its the real 40th

I do not think that 07/08/09....etc 40 years down the road are going to be any different. some of those cars will be trashed with racing, accidents...what have you. The few which are garage queens that has not been one way traffic modified will keep some value to our kids since most of us would of kicked the bucket.

My point is :

Any car that survives time with the great name SHELBY slapped on her a$$ will be a piece of history that will find many fans wanting to have. just keep the car in good shape , enjoy driving it and let your kid worry about its value. JMHO

I have never once used the word value- down the road who knows- All I am saying is the Whole shelby motors thing is getting out of control with body and engine modifications on the same car only different years- do this and we will put a badge on your car that calls it a special model- that is the word- model- there are six offered on the beginning of the site today alone- who can remember all the badges and the mods shelby motors makes- it is crazy. I believe the aftermarket products do a better job and allow the car to maintain its character. Lots of good proucts for engine mods and interior mods if someone wants to go that route. A lot more choices for a lot less money. As far as the 07 goes I have every right to believe it is the 40th anniversery Shelby from Ford with Mr Shelby's endorsement along with all the advertising that went into introducing the car as such. It has no bearing on value as the 07s are already dropping in price the quickest being the oldest . It is just the fact that the 07 was unmollested from the factory and was like it or not the 40th year after the first Shelby was built- Shelby Motorsports and its franchises are using the same car and calling it this or that- that is fine as long as they find enough players but the factory cars are the classics and there are lots of choices for change but the whole Shelby Motor thing is getting crazy- My title to the car reads 07 and if my math is correct that is 40 years- also the 07 is the first Shelby built since 67- I do not need a blasted badge on the car to know what year it was built and why. Are all the other model years any less important- of course not.

After SAI offered the 427 package, I felt they went too far. $6k for some fender badging and headrests was a little much for me and I saw no value whatsoever in it. With that said, although I would like to think that I have something special, the fact remains that they are producing so many of these cars and now the upgrades too. In the old days, these cars were produced by the hundreds, now its tens of thousands. Simple math says they are not collectible, even the KR...just check the unsold 2008 KR's on dealer lots.

I have never once used the word value- down the road who knows- All I am saying is the Whole shelby motors thing is getting out of control with body and engine modifications on the same car only different years- do this and we will put a badge on your car that calls it a special model- that is the word- model- there are six offered on the beginning of the site today alone- who can remember all the badges and the mods shelby motors makes- it is crazy. I believe the aftermarket products do a better job and allow the car to maintain its character. Lots of good proucts for engine mods and interior mods if someone wants to go that route. A lot more choices for a lot less money. As far as the 07 goes I have every right to believe it is the 40th anniversery Shelby from Ford with Mr Shelby's endorsement along with all the advertising that went into introducing the car as such. It has no bearing on value as the 07s are already dropping in price the quickest being the oldest . It is just the fact that the 07 was unmollested from the factory and was like it or not the 40th year after the first Shelby was built- Shelby Motorsports and its franchises are using the same car and calling it this or that- that is fine as long as they find enough players but the factory cars are the classics and there are lots of choices for change but the whole Shelby Motor thing is getting crazy- My title to the car reads 07 and if my math is correct that is 40 years- also the 07 is the first Shelby built since 67- I do not need a blasted badge on the car to know what year it was built and why. Are all the other model years any less important- of course not.

You have a point with the math, what i wanted to say is the SHELBY badge on the rear of a factory Mustang, the signed plaque by Mr Shelby and the reunion of FORD SHELBY after 40 years is all what matters to me. your point is well taken on the commercial multiple packages from Shelby with after market packages that has more performance bang for the buck than Shelby.

I do see your point and i hoped if they limited their Shelby upgrades to very few 10s 1/4 mile runners( like teaming with evo, lethal and some of those aftermarket great modifiers) and came up with one or two great performance Shelby badges that will kill the corvette like Mr Shelby did in the sixties. but that is business and if they can make money that way what the heck he earned his stripes.

After SAI offered the 427 package, I felt they went too far. $6k for some fender badging and headrests was a little much for me and I saw no value whatsoever in it. With that said, although I would like to think that I have something special, the fact remains that they are producing so many of these cars and now the upgrades too. In the old days, these cars were produced by the hundreds, now its tens of thousands. Simple math says they are not collectible, even the KR...just check the unsold 2008 KR's on dealer lots.

All highly priced classics now were not highly priced at their times. So even if the sales for KRs are slow that doesn't take from their value down the road. they will be the collectible shelbys hands down.

I respect everyones choice for buying and driving whatever they may choose, for what ever reason. I am by no means a Shelby historian, but didn't Carroll Shelby get involved with Dodge on a couple of models along with developing his own super car just a few years ago? That would mean that there have in fact been other"Shelby's" since 1967, several of which that are considered as classics as well.

I chose the package that I did because I liked the modifications along with a documented pedigree, not saying that it is right or wrong, just my choice. Shelby as far as I know has always been associated with high performance vehicles of many types and brands. It seems only natural that Shelby continues to offer several upgrade performance/style packages whether for street driving, track racing or a continuation of an icon. Thus further perpetuating that legacy for generations to come.

Thank you SAI for giving us options.

Be proud of what you have and enjoy it. It would be an awefully boring world if we all drove the same car.

Personaly, I like crazy. "I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every moment of it!" Just my .02 :wacko:

I respect everyones choice for buying and driving whatever they may choose, for what ever reason. I am by no means a Shelby historian, but didn't Carroll Shelby get involved with Dodge on a couple of models along with developing his own super car just a few years ago? That would mean that there have in fact been other"Shelby's" since 1967, several of which that are considered as classics as well.

I chose the package that I did because I liked the modifications along with a documented pedigree, not saying that it is right or wrong, just my choice. Shelby as far as I know has always been associated with high performance vehicles of many types and brands. It seems only natural that Shelby continues to offer several upgrade performance/style packages whether for street driving, track racing or a continuation of an icon. Thus further perpetuating that legacy for generations to come.

Thank you SAI for giving us options.

Be proud of what you have and enjoy it. It would be an awefully boring world if we all drove the same car.

Personaly, I like crazy. "I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every moment of it!" Just my .02 :wacko:

Pedigree? Which pedigree do you have- I must be driving a mongrel as I have a lot of mods and add ons but not a badge- I do have his signature on the dash- Hey he is my hero as well but so is Clint Eastwood but I purchase a lot of other westerns as well. The aftermarket is strong for these cars so do not keep your blinders on when making a change. Shelby Motor Sports is muddying the waters by offering to many changes in the form of badges( pedigrees as you call them) and that is crazy(to many packages) which is insane unless you have more money than sense- my $.05 cents worth.

Pedigree? Which pedigree do you have- I must be driving a mongrel as I have a lot of mods and add ons but not a badge- I do have his signature on the dash- Hey he is my hero as well but so is Clint Eastwood but I purchase a lot of other westerns as well. The aftermarket is strong for these cars so do not keep your blinders on when making a change. Shelby Motor Sports is muddying the waters by offering to many changes in the form of badges( pedigrees as you call them) and that is crazy(to many packages) which is insane unless you have more money than sense- my $.05 cents worth.

Sorry, too many years in the horse business, pedigree=certificate of authenticity, CSM#, documented history, etc.

All highly priced classics now were not highly priced at their times. So even if the sales for KRs are slow that doesn't take from their value down the road. they will be the collectible shelbys hands down.

In your opinion. You don't know this as fact. At the rate SAI is going, there are going to be so many different cars that, in my opinion, none will be a true "collectible" Look at the market right now. Cars that were selling for up wards of $200k are now going for half that. And, these are models that had 400 or fewer built. In my humble opinion, cars that are manufactured in the tens of thousands are not going to draw numbers down the road. Even the KR, which most folks admit is an overpriced vehicle, is still built with numbers that limit its collect ability, even 20 years from now. Hell, I paid big bucks for the SS as well as an ADM on my 07. I am not too happy that they keep on offering the same upgrades on every new model year....but I am OK with it as I didn't buy it for an investment.

In your opinion. You don't know this as fact. At the rate SAI is going, there are going to be so many different cars that, in my opinion, none will be a true "collectible" Look at the market right now. Cars that were selling for up wards of $200k are now going for half that. And, these are models that had 400 or fewer built. In my humble opinion, cars that are manufactured in the tens of thousands are not going to draw numbers down the road. Even the KR, which most folks admit is an overpriced vehicle, is still built with numbers that limit its collect ability, even 20 years from now. Hell, I paid big bucks for the SS as well as an ADM on my 07. I am not too happy that they keep on offering the same upgrades on every new model year....but I am OK with it as I didn't buy it for an investment.

Some truth to that! But the KR with only 1000 made should be a solid investment down the road. As for collectability IMO only those which actually went through the Shelby Plant will have value. And that value will be Post Shelby.

Cobra010

Hey it could get wild- how about an 08 shelby super bee ss or a 2010 shelby super cobra ss- or a 2009 shelby CS - or just maybe a finely modded gt 500 with its owners choice of mods and upgrades and just calling it what it is a gt 500. I love my plain Jane 07 gt 500 and the mystery of not a sole knowing what happened under the hood and guessing at which item is not correct for 07 or try to remember what makes it an 07- in my case it is all under the hood and not a sole knows until it is opened. It is a correctly marked 07 gt 500 and when the board lights up at the track all people can do is guess why it ran that number. It says Shelby and that is enough for me. How about them apples Mr. Shelby?

I do not care what Mr. Shelby puts out of his upgraded special this special that- there is only one true 40th anniversery Shelby and that is the factory car produced by Ford out of its regular production for 2007. It truly is the car that duplicated the whole Shelby program and all Shelby motor sports is doing is putting a bunch of simple to somewhat complex items on factory cars to try to lure your money and create a one of five hundred or whatever- it may work but what a waiste of money. The aftermarket is doing a better job of retaining the cars while adding improvemnts without taking away from the car that what makes it original. Now that were all the way to 2010 and still going my 2007 could be a classic before ford is done producing gt 500s. There are so many versions of Shelby motor cars out there with so many different badging that who can remember what is what. It is quite simple to remember the first real 40th anniversry gt 500 car produced by ford right off the assembly line- sound like maybe how it was done in 67- Hey I got the shaft for paying way over invoice for my 07but as time goes by I feel more and more like I have the real thing. It is not a money thing as much as a purest thing. If it's the real thing leave it alone- especially what you see. Give me the 07 shitty clutch and all. Even our friendly moderator owns an 07. So if you paid the big bucks for the real thing- 07- at least know it is the real thing. How would I feel if I owned an 08 or later- blessed I guess but not quite the same. Is the 07 a better car maybe not but it does have the true and only 40th production produced number on it- a first with model changes and years following.

I agree. The last late model Shelby event I went to had more Super Snakes than you could shake a stick at (the whole idea). I know SAI is in business for profit and and good for them but when C.S. put his blessing and input on the factory 07 GT500, it became a 40th when it rolled off the factory line. Some guys that paid for the "40th package" will argue untill subject is pulverized, bottom line is an 07 GT500 is a 40th edition Shelby GT500 simply by the numbers.

I planned from the very start to keep my '07 Shelby GT500 in its' unmodified, original condition. Over time I couldn't resist getting Mr. Shelby's autograph on my passenger sunvisor, as well as the signed dash plaque/door seal plates... Those are my only real mods, however, NO bolt-on, performance mods.

Here's a quote from Mr. Shelby himself, which might put the subject into perspective:

"This car, 40 years later, is everything I dreamed of when we built the originals."

... from SVT Enthusiast, Vol 8, Issue 2 - 2005.

When asked, I proudly tell all my friends and acquaintances my car is a 2007 Shelby GT500, the 40th Anniversary Edition of the original 1967 Shelby GT500.

Keith

I planned from the very start to keep my '07 Shelby GT500 in its' unmodified, original condition. Over time I couldn't resist getting Mr. Shelby's autograph on my passenger sunvisor, as well as the signed dash plaque/door seal plates... Those are my only real mods, however, NO bolt-on, performance mods.

Here's a quote from Mr. Shelby himself, which might put the subject into perspective:

"This car, 40 years later, is everything I dreamed of when we built the originals."

... from SVT Enthusiast, Vol 8, Issue 2 - 2005.

When asked, I proudly tell all my friends and acquaintances my car is a 2007 Shelby GT500, the 40th Anniversary Edition of the original 1967 Shelby GT500.

Keith

YOU ARE 100 PERCENT CORRECT- IT IS THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY- FORD SAID IT AND SHELBY SAID IT AND ENDORSED IT ON ALL THE PROMOTIONS FOR THE CAR BEFORE PRODUCTION STARTED IN 2007- IF YOUR TITLE SAYS 2007 YOU OWN THE ORIGINAL 40TH ANNIVERSARY CAR- MR SHELBY DECIDED TO TAKE SOME CARS TO HIS CLINIC AND BADGE THEM TO DEATH- ONE MAY SAY 40TH BUT IN REALITY IT IS NOT- SHELBY WAITED UNTIL THE TRUE 40TH WAS IN PRODUCTION IN 07 BEFORE HE PROMOTED HIS UPGRADES OR BADGE SYSTEM- HE EVEN TOOK OVER TEAM SHELBY AFTER IT WAS STARTED- BUT WHO CARES IT IS ALL GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY- 1967 TO 2007= 40 YEARS- YOU CANNOT ARGUE WITH THE MATH- SHELBY'S UPGRADED OR MODDED OR MOLLESTED WERE AND ARE BEING DONE AS WE SPEAK SO PICK THE BADGE OF YOUR CHOICE BUT IF YOU HAVE A FORD FACTORY O7 SHELBY KEEP THAT CAR AS ORIGINAL AS YOU CAN AS YOU HAVE THE REAL THING- IT WOULD NOT HURT TO MUCH TO OPEN THE HOOD AND PUT ON A FEW GOODIES BUT WHO WOULD KNOW UNLESS THE HOOD WAS OPENED. HISTORY WILL AND DOES READ THAT FOR 07 FORD AND CARROL SHELBY TEAMED UP THE MAKE THE 40TH ANNIVESARY SHELBY- THE NEXT PARAGRAPHS WILL STATE HIS UPGRADES AND NEW DESIGNED CARS BUT WILL BE IN PARAGRAPH TWO. SO SORRY BUT THAT'S HOW THE CARDS WERE DEALT AND THAT IS HOW THE HAND WILL PLAY OUT- IT IS BRAGGING RIGHTS- NOT MONEY OR VALUE FOR WHO KNOWS WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICE OF THE RICH AND FAMOUS IN ANOTHER 40 YEARS HOWEVER THE FORD FACTORY GT 500 WILL ALWAYS BE THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY CAR FOR FORD MOTOR COMPANY AND CARROL SHELBY- OH YEAH DID I SAY 40TH ANNIVESARY.

YOU ARE 100 PERCENT CORRECT- IT IS THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY- FORD SAID IT AND SHELBY SAID IT AND ENDORSED IT ON ALL THE PROMOTIONS FOR THE CAR BEFORE PRODUCTION STARTED IN 2007- IF YOUR TITLE SAYS 2007 YOU OWN THE ORIGINAL 40TH ANNIVERSARY CAR- MR SHELBY DECIDED TO TAKE SOME CARS TO HIS CLINIC AND BADGE THEM TO DEATH- ONE MAY SAY 40TH BUT IN REALITY IT IS NOT- SHELBY WAITED UNTIL THE TRUE 40TH WAS IN PRODUCTION IN 07 BEFORE HE PROMOTED HIS UPGRADES OR BADGE SYSTEM- HE EVEN TOOK OVER TEAM SHELBY AFTER IT WAS STARTED- BUT WHO CARES IT IS ALL GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY- 1967 TO 2007= 40 YEARS- YOU CANNOT ARGUE WITH THE MATH- SHELBY'S UPGRADED OR MODDED OR MOLLESTED WERE AND ARE BEING DONE AS WE SPEAK SO PICK THE BADGE OF YOUR CHOICE BUT IF YOU HAVE A FORD FACTORY O7 SHELBY KEEP THAT CAR AS ORIGINAL AS YOU CAN AS YOU HAVE THE REAL THING- IT WOULD NOT HURT TO MUCH TO OPEN THE HOOD AND PUT ON A FEW GOODIES BUT WHO WOULD KNOW UNLESS THE HOOD WAS OPENED. HISTORY WILL AND DOES READ THAT FOR 07 FORD AND CARROL SHELBY TEAMED UP THE MAKE THE 40TH ANNIVESARY SHELBY- THE NEXT PARAGRAPHS WILL STATE HIS UPGRADES AND NEW DESIGNED CARS BUT WILL BE IN PARAGRAPH TWO. SO SORRY BUT THAT'S HOW THE CARDS WERE DEALT AND THAT IS HOW THE HAND WILL PLAY OUT- IT IS BRAGGING RIGHTS- NOT MONEY OR VALUE FOR WHO KNOWS WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICE OF THE RICH AND FAMOUS IN ANOTHER 40 YEARS HOWEVER THE FORD FACTORY GT 500 WILL ALWAYS BE THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY CAR FOR FORD MOTOR COMPANY AND CARROL SHELBY- OH YEAH DID I SAY 40TH ANNIVESARY.

I have to argue the point of insisting on the 07 as the real thing, so 08,09.. is not? are the shelbys built in 68 are less desired , wanted or authentic than 67 ,,,,hell no.

as long as you are getting the shelby badge slapped on the ass of a production ford YOU HAVE GOTTEN SHELBY.

I have to argue the point of insisting on the 07 as the real thing, so 08,09.. is not? are the shelbys built in 68 are less desired , wanted or authentic than 67 ,,,,hell no.

as long as you are getting the shelby badge slapped on the ass of a production ford YOU HAVE GOTTEN SHELBY.

The arguement has been that the Carrol Shelby Vegas boys took the stock Ford gt 500 and badged it as the 40th. That they did but Ford and Carrol Shelby endorsed the Ford plant production in 07- in fact in advertising before 07- as the 40th anniversary Shelby- Lots of people forget that or want to or do not care but the fact remains the only 40th is the 07 from Ford production. Even Shelby's work on the 07 is an upgrade on all the 07s that came out of Fords plant- so the real thing is the 07. Real thing only defining it as the 40th year annivesary as a factory produced 07. Shelby putting his badges on 07s does not take away the fact that he endorsed this model year along with ford in tons of advertising as the 40th anniversary- do the math- the other years are model changes. The badges and changes Shelby makes to his cars- yours or a new gt 500- are his dreams and schemes. 07-10 factory ford produced cars are the real gt 500s and Shelby Sports as some call them are the name and engine and body changers with each change given a badge. With the 07 factory car- if your title says 07 you have the 40th- 1967-2007- 40 years in simple math so you have the real thing if you want to 40th untouched version Shelby himself endorsed. Is the 08-10 any less of a car- of course not as Ford made improvements and will continue to bring a better product to market- the 07s bring the least money being the oldest but the fact remains they were produced as the 40th anniversary car and that is what they were when they left Fords plant. Real thing does not belittle the other years it is only used in this reasoning to point out there is only one year- the first year the Shelby name was back on the road and that was 2007. Also remember that Ford and Shelby made a big thing of being back together to produce the 07 gt 500 and it was promoted in magazines and advertising as the 40th. Shelby knew it would be a hit so he jumped on the opportunity to create more and better cars for those who wanted his badged products. Part of me says that is great and the majority of me says it is to much- to many badges and cars with different character all using the Shelby name- more parts maybe -that depends on if he makes them or gets them in the aftermarket- if they are his they will be harder to find down the road. The real tradition on Shelby cars goes to the past and whoever got Ford and Shelby back together in 07 was a marketing pro. Ford is doing fine with the gt 500 offering one menu but Shelby has his table so full you have no idea what is on it and it is pure and simple overkill.

The arguement has been that the Carrol Shelby Vegas boys took the stock Ford gt 500 and badged it as the 40th. That they did but Ford and Carrol Shelby endorsed the Ford plant production in 07- in fact in advertising before 07- as the 40th anniversary Shelby- Lots of people forget that or want to or do not care but the fact remains the only 40th is the 07 from Ford production. Even Shelby's work on the 07 is an upgrade on all the 07s that came out of Fords plant- so the real thing is the 07. Real thing only defining it as the 40th year annivesary as a factory produced 07. Shelby putting his badges on 07s does not take away the fact that he endorsed this model year along with ford in tons of advertising as the 40th anniversary- do the math- the other years are model changes. The badges and chanes Shelby makes to his cars- yours or a new gt 500- are his dreams and schemes. 07-10 factory ford produced cars are the real gt 500s and Shelby Sports as some call them are the name and engine and body changers with each change given a badge. With the 07 factory car- if your title says 07 you have the 40th- 1967-2007- 40 years in simple math so you have the real thing if you want to 40th untouched version Shelby himself endorsed. Is the 08-10 any less of a car- of course not as Ford made improvements and will continue to bring a better product to market- the 07s bring the least money being the oldest but the fact remains they were produced as the 40th anniversary car and that is what they were when they left Fords plant. Real thing does not belittle the other years it is only used in this reasoning to point out there is only one year- the first year the Shelby name was back on the road and that was 2007.

I will continue arguing the point of the "real thing"....lol

Is 07 the 40th anniversary? yes.

Is it only the real thing.....hell no

all shelby slapped ass ford production mustangs are the real thing. if not 07 they are not the 40th but are the real thing. they will remain wanted like all the models in the sixties wanted now.

ALL SHELBYS ARE THE REAL THING. you have 40th, SS, KR,...what have you. that is my point.

now repeat after me:

am a proud shelby owner

i own the real thing.

Yeah it is kind of like coke "It's the real thing"- they do that to have their product thought of as the real thing. You are right. The real thing in 07 was the new Shelby- all the rest are still the real thing- real thing not being my point but if it bothers you it likely will bother others so real thing may have been a poor choice of words- but at least you agree with the 40th year point- sorry!

Archived