TEAM SHELBY FORUM

it just getting crazier

Yeah it is kind of like coke "It's the real thing"- they do that to have their product thought of as the real thing. You are right. The real thing in 07 was the new Shelby- all the rest are still the real thing- real thing not being my point but if it bothers you it likely will bother others so real thing may have been a poor choice of words- but at least you agree with the 40th year point- sorry!

No your point does not bother me and as i said i do recognize the 40th in 07 but that is where Mr Shelby hit a home run, this guy is a genius, he gave every sector the real thing and all can walk away happy claiming that they own the real thing from 40th, SS, KR, SE, ... so every one is happy and got from shelby what they asked for (only if they can price down the packages since we have rough times on both of us and not on shelby only).

I am sorry if my comment was harsh a bit , its just the heat of argument and it is all good here. We are one huge family. ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure I understand. You posted that the only "real" 40th annv is the one from Ford, not the one from Shelby.

1) they ALL came from Ford. Every single "Mustang" came from Ford.

2) Just because SAI modified it with a 40th annv package (or any other package) does not change the year of the car. A 2007 is a 2007 no matter who did what to it.

3) 2005 is the 40th annv of the first Shelby Mustang. 2006 is the 40th annv of the 1966 Mustang, 2008 is the 40th annv of the 1968 Mustang, 2013 will be the 40th annv of the 1973 Mustang. EVERY Mustang made before today is the 40th annv of some Mustang made 40 years ago.

3) This will all be moot when the 50th annv come out.

And as far as cars that were selling for $200k now selling for 1/2 that goes, $100k for a car that originally sold for $4k is still a pretty good price IMO.

The 40th Anniversary is a package to honor this anniversary. I missing the part where it's implied/said that the 2007 GT500 is somehow devalued because of this package.

Sorry, just not seeing what the big deal is here.

+1

Well said and to the point.

I am not sure I understand. You posted that the only "real" 40th annv is the one from Ford, not the one from Shelby.

1) they ALL came from Ford. Every single "Mustang" came from Ford.

2) Just because SAI modified it with a 40th annv package (or any other package) does not change the year of the car. A 2007 is a 2007 no matter who did what to it.

3) 2005 is the 40th annv of the first Shelby Mustang. 2006 is the 40th annv of the 1966 Mustang, 2008 is the 40th annv of the 1968 Mustang, 2013 will be the 40th annv of the 1973 Mustang. EVERY Mustang made before today is the 40th annv of some Mustang made 40 years ago.

And as far as cars that were selling for $200k now selling for 1/2 that goes, $100k for a car that originally sold for $4k is still a pretty good price IMO.

What part do you not understand- when the 2007 shelby came out it was produced by Ford with Carrol Shelby's blessing and input and advetised and promoted well before production as the 40th anniversery car. Regardless of the past models of shelby or years of shelby cars the 07 was promoted as the 40th annivesrary- there was not a 41st or so on- just model changes from the 2007. Shelby has his own business and promotes and badges Ford Mustangs. The new run of Shelbys was started with the 2007 shelby mustang and was given the 40th anniversary status. It was planned well before 07 and sold for big bucks as the 40th annivesary of the great Shelby of the past- a new generation of Shelby's that is still going strong after the first of the new breed in 07.

Sorry, I thought you said/implied the unmodified '07 GT500 was the only "real" 40th annv car. My bad if thats no what you meant.

The new run of Shelbys was started with the 2007 shelby mustang and was given the 40th anniversary status. It was planned well before 07 and sold for big bucks as the 40th annivesary of the great Shelby of the past- a new generation of Shelby's that is still going strong after the first of the new breed in 07.

Actually, '06 (GT-H) was the begining of the new run. But only if you don't count the GLH/GLHS, Omni, Laser, Durango, etc, and of course the Viper.

I do not care what Mr. Shelby puts out of his upgraded special this special that- there is only one true 40th anniversery Shelby and that is the factory car produced by Ford out of its regular production for 2007.

:headscratch: Maybe it's just me, but when I read your posts it sounds like someone told you your car wasn't as special as you think it is, and you feel the need to defend it.

Again, what am I missing here?

Sorry, I thought you said/implied the unmodified '07 GT500 was the only "real" 40th annv car. My bad if thats no what you meant.

Actually, '06 (GT-H) was the begining of the new run. But only if you don't count the GLH/GLHS, Omni, Laser, Durango, etc, and of course the Viper.

Yep, the 2006 GT-H commerated the 40th anniversary of the GT 350H.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23095

+1

I agree with this comment totally, what will a 40th anniversary mean once there is a 50th anniversary?

40th, SE, S/S, whichever it is, take it to the track or the Vegas Bash in January and you will experience the difference from a stock 07-09 GT500 no matter what anniversay digit you decide to assign to it or chose to call the car. :)

Jeez, guys, I mean come on this is ridiculous. SAI is in business to make money. When they cant make money they will go bankrupt. If they go bankrupt then guess what, no more SAI. It is Carrolls wishes to keep his name in the automotive as well as other industries for as long as he can.

We ARE owners now, we have helped to make SAI what it is today. Can you believe that not only 4 years ago they were on the verge of not making it. Thankfully they hooked back up with Ford and created some really bad ass cars for us to drool and lust over and buy.

It is our job to help Carroll ensure his legacy is passed on. I personally hope SAI is around for many, many years. I want my eight year old daughter to be able to purchase a new Shelby in 2016.

As many people have said over the last couple of years, if you bought your car as an investment, you made a mistake. You have been watching way to much Barrett Jackson. If our cars ever reach the values we are and were seeing on the 60's era cars, we will be to old to give a rats ass. I bought my car to enjoy, even though I dont get to drive it often, I drive the shit out of it every chance I get.

Everytime I walk in the garage I feel my heart skip a beat cause there sits a SHELBY ( and its mine). I want everyone to be able to have that feeling. Isn't this what its really about. To me this is not just owning a car, but an experience of a lifetime to be a part of the legacy of the greatest racer in history.

Chris

Jeez, guys, I mean come on this is ridiculous. SAI is in business to make money. When they cant make money they will go bankrupt. If they go bankrupt then guess what, no more SAI. It is Carrolls wishes to keep his name in the automotive as well as other industries for as long as he can.

We ARE owners now, we have helped to make SAI what it is today. Can you believe that not only 4 years ago they were on the verge of not making it. Thankfully they hooked back up with Ford and created some really bad ass cars for us to drool and lust over and buy.

It is our job to help Carroll ensure his legacy is passed on. I personally hope SAI is around for many, many years. I want my eight year old daughter to be able to purchase a new Shelby in 2016.

As many people have said over the last couple of years, if you bought your car as an investment, you made a mistake. You have been watching way to much Barrett Jackson. If our cars ever reach the values we are and were seeing on the 60's era cars, we will be to old to give a rats ass. I bought my car to enjoy, even though I dont get to drive it often, I drive the shit out of it every chance I get.

Everytime I walk in the garage I feel my heart skip a beat cause there sits a SHELBY ( and its mine). I want everyone to be able to have that feeling. Isn't this what its really about. To me this is not just owning a car, but an experience of a lifetime to be a part of the legacy of the greatest racer in history.

Chris

+1

CC

I, for one, am proud to own a 2007 GT500, and don't mind all the new models and packages. I wasn't around in the "glory days" of the '60s Shelbys, but I'm glad I can afford a Shelby now, and I'm glad that many more people (thousands more!) can have the opportunity to own, drive, and enjoy a genuine Shelby automobile.

When the 2007 GT500 was announced, I was as excited about the SVT part as I was the Shelby part. I probably would have still bought this car if it was a 2007 SVT Cobra. The fact that it has Shelby's name, influence, and legacy just makes it that much more amazing a machine. I certainly didn't buy my car as an investment or garage queen - my winter tires are a testament to that!!

I would love to trade in my '08 Focus for a Shelby Focus or Shelby Fusion someday. My wife wants an SVT Raptor. I would LOVE the day where our entire fleet is comprised entirely of SVT and/or Shelby vehicles. I don't think the proliferation of Shelby models now in any way cheapens the heritage or value of the '60s Shelbys...I wonder if Shelby Autos would have produced just as many in the '60s if the politics/economy/whatever were the same as today!

I don't know if this is an actual Carroll Shelby quote, or if it's just been attributed to him (and I'm sure I don't have the quote exactly right), but it goes something like: "If you're not driving these cars, you're doing yourself and the car a disservice." I live by that motto - drive it like you stole it! :shift:

He is making way to many changes to the ford shelby under the pretense of badging(badges being changes to the facrtory car)- people like that so I would hope he stays around a long time. More important I hope ford continues to make the shelby in their plant so we have a car to start with to either leave as is or mod or whatever. I prefer the factory ford shelby mustang progran 07-10 and onward. SAI cannot afford to build a whole car and compete with Ford so will always upgrade factory cars and will likely step to other cars in the future if he really wants to expand. I have never mentioned value so why make it an issue. I prefer the factory car with upgraades from the aftermarket it is as simple as that. Support Shelby is the name of the game and it does not have to be through his aftermarket program- you can badge a shelby or mod it to death from the aftermarket but it is still a shelby. Do I feel blessed to own a Shelby- not really but I love the car as well. Do I get goosebumps everytime I see it- hardly. I do have a strange relationship with whats under the hood and that tickles my fancy whenever the gas peddle touches the floor. I just prefer to put as many mods as possible under the hood and frame and leave the body from the factory stock with stock markings and badging- mainly because it is an 07- which has been explained. To each his own.

After SAI offered the 427 package, I felt they went too far. $6k for some fender badging and headrests was a little much for me and I saw no value whatsoever in it. With that said, although I would like to think that I have something special, the fact remains that they are producing so many of these cars and now the upgrades too. In the old days, these cars were produced by the hundreds, now its tens of thousands. Simple math says they are not collectible, even the KR...just check the unsold 2008 KR's on dealer lots.

I'm not going to get into the fray about what is a 40th and what is not, but I would like to counterpoint the above statement that's highlighted in red...

Don't forget what happened to the 1970 Plymouth Superbird and Dodge Daytona. Those cars langushed on the dealer's lots in some cases as much as 4 years after their original production dates. The dealers that had them couldn't give them away (1st because of their radical appearance, and later because of the BS Arab oil embargo), and now those cars are at the top of the collectible food chain being sold for north of $700,000.

Will the 2008/09 KR's end up the same way as the Superbird? Only time will tell, but I personally suspect that I will be worm meal if or when they do.

Of course this is just my opinion, your's may differ...

WOW This post has created a lot of responces, But the Most important thing to me is that it is a Shelby, The elusive car that I always wanted, I dont care if its a 66 gt350 or a dodge, everyone has a reason for owning the car they have... Me Im just busy trying to put history on the one I was so blessed to have. and best of all , I get to put as many of you in the rear view mirror as possible :^)

:hysterical::hysterical: , Ken :shift:

Do I feel blessed to own a Shelby- not really but I love the car as well. Do I get goosebumps everytime I see it- hardly.

I think this is the statement that differentiates you from some of us. I have dreamed of and drooled over Mustangs and specifically Shelby Mustangs since I was about 12. I never thought I would have the opportunity to own a Shelby myself (still dont really, but I drive my brother's every chance I get) but I have owned 20 or so Mustangs since I turned 16. Some people get it and some don't. I am not picking on you here, but you are just not one of "US" die-hard Shelby fanatics. You are just a Shelby owner and there is nothing wrong with that. I tend to forget that not every one here is as passionate as me about these vehicles. My bad.

I think this is the statement that differentiates you from some of us. I have dreamed of and drooled over Mustangs and specifically Shelby Mustangs since I was about 12. I never thought I would have the opportunity to own a Shelby myself (still dont really, but I drive my brother's every chance I get) but I have owned 20 or so Mustangs since I turned 16. Some people get it and some don't. I am not picking on you here, but you are just not one of "US" die-hard Shelby fanatics. You are just a Shelby owner and there is nothing wrong with that. I tend to forget that not every one here is as passionate as me about these vehicles. My bad.
you are so kind- while you were collecting mustangs I was putting three kids through college and now that I own the Shelby I am putting two grandchildren through college- with this money I could have owned any car I wanted- I am passionate about life but even a Shelby is a material thing to me although when I do pick material things I want the best- of all the cars I have owned this is the best. I enjoy it and race it at the track- keep it in as good of shape as possible and keep it garaged- it is an early 07 with less than 4000 miles but I refuse to wet my pants over the car. When I am around the car or driving I know I made a good decision and it is super fast and modded under the hood with an upper control arm and lowers so it is no sissy car. The body is stock from the factory no add ons or changes- You are right some people get it and some do not. I am a proud Shelby owner make no doubt about that. It is a Shelby and I expect a lot from it- I park so far away from stores with the car I should take a taxi to get the rest of the way - most of the time I will not even drive the car if I have to le ave it for extended periods of time- come on give me a break!

I may be wrong, but I am sensing a little animosity in your reply. My apology in my earlier post was sincere. If I have pegged you wrong or misunderstood you I am sorry. That was not my intention. I simply attempted to state that my belief - based on what you said - is that you do not share the same level of adoration for a Shelby Mustang as I do. Again, if I am wrong I apologize.

I will leave it at that and not address MY perceived implication of some of your other sentences. I dont want this to turn into a pissing match.

I am here looking to make friends, trade stories and learn with fellow Shelby/Ford/Mustang folk.

Once again I apologize if my prior statements were insulting, demeaning or otherwise offensive - that was not my intention.

Sean - aka Sportscars

Chris

Hey we are going the wrong direction on this topic and I think it is time to close the book on this exhausted subject- It had some good points and bad points but when it gets going the wrong direction it either needs revival or elimination- I started the subject of this post and by popular demand would like to shut it down. The above post would be a great closing- turn off the lights the party is over-

Chris

Great post and i agree with most of what you say..one thing though. It will never be shelby and will never mean the same when the great man goes horizontal. we are blessed to have our shelbys when he is with us , signing our plaques personally, what a blessing , i wish him long prosperous life...GO SHELBY.

Hey we are going the wrong direction on this topic and I think it is time to close the book on this exhausted subject- It had some good points and bad points but when it gets going the wrong direction it either needs revival or elimination- I started the subject of this post and by popular demand would like to shut it down. The above post would be a great closing- turn off the lights the party is over-

No, The rest of us are all headed in the same direction....away from your crappy attitude. While you were putting three kids through college, (whatever that means, you are a dad...do your job) that man you were putting down in the prior post is taking in many many foster children that have no place but Child Protective Services. He has raised almost 10 of other people's responsibilities dropped on society, AND his 3 kids...which is the reason he doesn't have a Shelby.

I have left this thread alone because it is the stupidest argument on this site...what value is a "40th"? its just a friggin number...Mine is a coveted 41st anniversary model....ooooohhhh! *gasp* Big whoop....every year is another anniversary. A 40th means nothing but 40 years have passed...your car is same as mine, only a few more bugs in the system...and a few more miles and 1 year older. You dont have a 67 GT500, so your car is worth ummm, about 30k right now...so suck it! If you bought your car for some elite "status" symbol, you are the guy who will not get the payoff for what it really means to own one of these cars. A fun driving experience every time you get in the car, and good people here to share it with. I hope you can take an apology next time a little better, even if you cant have a little empathy or be open to other views.

As for the rest of you- I will say Cobrafan's 40th is the most bad ass car I have ever heard or seen... :happy feet:

A true beast, and flagship of what our cars capabilities are.

Great post and i agree with most of what you say..one thing though. It will never be shelby and will never mean the same when the great man goes horizontal. we are blessed to have our shelbys when he is with us , signing our plaques personally, what a blessing , i wish him long prosperous life...GO SHELBY.

I have wondered about this, but you know Henry Ford has been gone a long time....and a Ford is still a Ford...its not like Carroll designs them or turns even one bolt on the cars anymore. They may have asked him if he liked this or that, but I don't think he made any real decisions over marketing or design in quite some time. I could be totally wrong though. :headscratch:

Archived