TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trouble with Vert Top

I`ve got an 08 vert with Red Stripes. On the drivers side right above the window there are two 45 degree dents about a half an inch long. These look like something was pushing into it when the top was down. Dealer looked at it and couldn`t see what caused it. Ordered a new top . Anyone have a similar problem.

I`ve got an 08 vert with Red Stripes. On the drivers side right above the window there are two 45 degree dents about a half an inch long. These look like something was pushing into it when the top was down. Dealer looked at it and couldn`t see what caused it. Ordered a new top . Anyone have a similar problem.

Yep I have the same issue also on both sides. I am working with my dealer on it. I was going to order another also but figure it will just do the same thing again so I am waiting for him to find a resolution with a permenent fix. Many people are having this issue on here. I wonder if anyone has found the permentent fix?

Pics please?

Mine is doing it to and Ford knows about the problem. There is a TSB, but it calls for earlier models. This is from another site

I beleive it impacted only 2007 models..here is the TSB:

CONVERTIBLE TOP WEAR—BUILT BEFORE TSB 07-19-1

10/11/2006

FORD:

2005-2007 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 06-22-16 to update the WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of

Parts List. New Vehicle Limited

Warranty Coverage

ISSUE IMPORTANT: Warranty

Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles built before coverage limits/policies are

10/11/2006 and equipped with a convertible top not altered by a TSB.

could develop wear or a hole near the 4th bow Warranty coverage limits

and/or number 1 bow area. This is caused by the are determined by the

number 1 and number 4 bow wearing or pinching identified causal part.

through the vinyl or cloth top. OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

071901A 2005-2007 Mustang 4.4 Hrs.

ACTION Convertible: Replace

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the Convertible Top Cover

condition. Includes Time To Install

Tether Straps, And To SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove And Install Top

1. Install a new convertible top cover. Assembly (Do Not Use

With 52700A, 53000A)

2. Install two (2) tether straps. DEALER CODING

CONDITION

3. Add tape to the number 1 bow panel following

BASIC PART NO. CODE

the instruction sheet provided in the Convertible

7652700 30

Top Kit.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

7R3Z-76539B40-BA Convertible Top Kit - (Black Vinyl)

7R3Z-76539B40-BB Convertible Top Kit - (Camel Vinyl)

7R3Z-76539B40-AD Convertible Top Kit - (Black Cloth)

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do

the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper

vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or

Interesting, I see something starting to show only on my passenger side. Recently have I hove NOT been closing up my top handles when folding down the top because my dealer told me it was not necessary. What do you all do?

I always close mine, but I've got the spots

I've got an early 2007, built in May of 2006. Never had any trouble, but will look closer at the effected areas to see if there is indeed wearing starting to show.

I used to always close the latches before putting the top down. Now, since I've put in the one touch mod, I leave them open.

I'll look and post some pics if there is some wear.

I always close mine, but I've got the spots

Here also. I always closed the handles but have marks on both sides of the car (an 08 model built December 2007) and is particularly noticeable on the passenger side. As a side note, I rarely put the top up so I'm afraid that this may be accelerating the damage.

Here also. I always closed the handles but have marks on both sides of the car (an 08 model built December 2007) and is particularly noticeable on the passenger side. As a side note, I rarely put the top up so I'm afraid that this may be accelerating the damage.

Mines Dec 2007 also. I wonder if there is a specific time frame for the issue? Can people with the issue post their build date?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine seems to be doing this as well. Just the Driver's side so far. 2008 built September '07. I tried to isolate where the rubbing was coming from, and it seems to be a "bar" internal to the top with a little cap on it that is worn/slides off. I'll try to get a picture, but it is very hard to describe. Not sure if that is the full reason, or it is the top that is wearing off the cap on the mechanicals.

Try putting your top down and keeping track of where the rub marks are until about 10% remaining (to full down). You will see what I mean as the top starts to fold around the mechanicals.

Did someone mention if there was a TSB for this? I haven't looked yet...

• 1 year later...

Archived