TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A-Pillar gauge pod install

My A-pillar gauge pod and gauges showed up from Summit last week. The pod turned out to be just a cover that I'm supposed to install over the factory pillar cover.

I thought I had purchased one that replaced the factory one, but oh well. The gauges match my SPP gauges. They're both Autometer carbon fiber, but these are 2 1/16" instead of 2 5/8".

Anyway, the gauges install very easily into the pod. It's a simply slip fit. I just got the factory cover pulled, so I'll work on getting the wiring and tubing run tonight.

Anyway, once I get that figured out, I'll get some pics up of the install. Is anyone else with an SGT using an A-pillar pod? If so, I'd love to see some pics.

Ken

DSC06669.jpg

DSC06670.jpg

DSC06671.jpg

DSC06672.jpg

DSC06673.jpg

I can't help you with the mod, but that sure is a cool looking set of gauges.

What sort of sensor sends out the Fuel/Air ratio and where do you install it? Or does it already come from the OEM electronics?

Thanks a lot Mark.

The air/fuel ratio gauge has 3 wires. 2 are obviously power and ground. The third splices into the factory O2 sensor's signal wire right at the engine's computer.

I figured it would be a heck of a lot more complicated than that, but I'm not complaining! :)

Ken

My A-pillar gauge pod and gauges showed up from Summit last week. The pod turned out to be just a cover that I'm supposed to install over the factory pillar cover.

I thought I had purchased one that replaced the factory one, but oh well. The gauges match my SPP gauges. They're both Autometer carbon fiber, but these are 2 1/16" instead of 2 5/8".

Anyway, the gauges install very easily into the pod. It's a simply slip fit. I just got the factory cover pulled, so I'll work on getting the wiring and tubing run tonight.

Anyway, once I get that figured out, I'll get some pics up of the install. Is anyone else with an SGT using an A-pillar pod? If so, I'd love to see some pics.

Ken

DSC06669.jpg

DSC06670.jpg

DSC06671.jpg

DSC06672.jpg

DSC06673.jpg

I'm using the SOS A piller pod which does replace the factory one,perfect fit and match,should have had gotten the 3 pod though.

Picture012.jpg

SOS has a great set up of gage pods both pillar and dash and not all bulky like the Shelby squared off one. Just my 2c.

Now I'm not bashing the air fuel ratio gage but providing info on these. Splicing into the computer wire/s is risky enough and with that gage it is not going to tell much because it's not a wide band fuel air gage.

The best way is to get a exhaust pipe bung installed separate from the current O2 sensors, and with your air fuel gage you get a quality Bosch or something wide band sensor to install in that bung, and get the correct readout. Without this set up you have no real reading and especially if installing for S/C use it has little value. They make hand held readouts that plug in the computer connection under the steering wheel area that will tell the same reading and require no splicing, power etc.

Wide band gages are available all over Jegs, Summit etc and are about $350. Add the bung install etc and for $425 your set with a real fuel air ratio readout.

SOS has a great set up of gage pods both pillar and dash and not all bulky like the Shelby squared off one. Just my 2c.

Now I'm not bashing the air fuel ratio gage but providing info on these. Splicing into the computer wire/s is risky enough and with that gage it is not going to tell much because it's not a wide band fuel air gage.

The best way is to get a exhaust pipe bung installed separate from the current O2 sensors, and with your air fuel gage you get a quality Bosch or something wide band sensor to install in that bung, and get the correct readout. Without this set up you have no real reading and especially if installing for S/C use it has little value. They make hand held readouts that plug in the computer connection under the steering wheel area that will tell the same reading and require no splicing, power etc.

Wide band gages are available all over Jegs, Summit etc and are about $350. Add the bung install etc and for $425 your set with a real fuel air ratio readout.

Guages like you have are available that plug directly in to the OBDII port as well, so no cutting splicing.

I really like the gauges. You say the a/f ties into the factory o2 sensor?? I've never heard of that. The only thing I would change is the Apillar mount. The SOS one is cosmetically easier on the eyes, and you won't have to ruin your factory piece. Just my .02

The problem with that port is it's not a wide band and won't get accurate readings. You have to install the correct sensor in the exhaust and have a wide band in order to get the correct result or else it's eye candy.

:cry:

Guages like you have are available that plug directly in to the OBDII port as well, so no cutting splicing.

The problem with that port is it's not a wide band and won't get accurate readings. You have to install the correct sensor in the exhaust and have a wide band in order to get the correct result or else it's eye candy.

:cry:

Meh. Most of this car is eye candy already.

I agree that a wide band is infinitely more useful than a narrow band. I'll never 'need' any of these extra gauges I've piled into my interior as it is though and the price was right on this one. I really just dig the look of the CF gauges and all the pretty lights. :hysterical:

I appreciate the heads up though.

Ken

Meh. Most of this car is eye candy already.

I agree that a wide band is infinitely more useful than a narrow band. I'll never 'need' any of these extra gauges I've piled into my interior as it is though and the price was right on this one. I really just dig the look of the CF gauges and all the pretty lights. :hysterical:

I appreciate the heads up though.

Ken

Yeah, I was thinking about adding a bunch more gauges and not even connecting them up to any sensors. :hysterical:

I would just set them at some nominal value and let the "civilians" think I was actually monitoring something neat. I was thinking about exhaust temperature, Turbine Inlet Temperature, altitude, acceleration, $$ per mile, and brake pad thickness remaining. :happy feet:

Yeah, I was thinking about adding a bunch more gauges and not even connecting them up to any sensors. :hysterical:

I would just set them at some nominal value and let the "civilians" think I was actually monitoring something neat. I was thinking about exhaust temperature, Turbine Inlet Temperature, altitude, acceleration, $$ per mile, and brake pad thickness remaining. :happy feet:

$$ per mile - I definitely do NOT want this gauge installed!

$$ per mile - I definitely do NOT want this gauge installed!

Funny that you should mention that one particularly. I was thinking about designing such a thing. Since we already have miles per gallon indicators, all that would be needed would be a place to enter the cost per gallon of your last fillup, and then you would be able to show Dollars per mile (or Miles per dollar). Or even dollars per hour (based on average speed and consumption)

Funny that you should mention that one particularly. I was thinking about designing such a thing. Since we already have miles per gallon indicators, all that would be needed would be a place to enter the cost per gallon of your last fillup, and then you would be able to show Dollars per mile (or Miles per dollar). Or even dollars per hour (based on average speed and consumption)

Seriously, it's a pretty damn good idea. I'm sure lots o' people that monitor their MPG would snag something like this up in a moment.

Get to work!

I'm using the SOS A piller pod which does replace the factory one,perfect fit and match,should have had gotten the 3 pod though.

Picture012.jpg

Love the looks of that, but what's the little blue nub to the right of the fuel pressure gauge?

Ken I have the speed of sound 3 pod with Spec gauges A/F Trans Temp and exhaust Temp My A/F is wide band by inovateive motor sports, pics in my Album.

PJ

I looked at your pics but didn't see any with the a-pillar showing?

The only gauges I saw are the SPP dash pod gauges.

med_gallery_5821_599_61937.jpg

Sorry for being a numbskull, but what the heck does that mean?

The light lights up when you reach a pre-determined RPM range so you have a easy to see visual indicator of when you should shift gears...been used in drag racing for many years...

Man, that's alot of gauges. There are like what, 12 gauges in that picture. 6 factory, 3 SAI dash pod and 3 more on the pillar pod. Looks cool but I'd be afraid I'd be spending to much time looking at all the pretty lights and not enough time looking at the road. What do all of those gauges do anyway? I do want to add the 3 pillar pod ones. I like the way they look. Thanks for the picts.

Don

Man, that's alot of gauges. There are like what, 12 gauges in that picture. 6 factory, 3 SAI dash pod and 3 more on the pillar pod. Looks cool but I'd be afraid I'd be spending to much time looking at all the pretty lights and not enough time looking at the road. What do all of those gauges do anyway? I do want to add the 3 pillar pod ones. I like the way they look. Thanks for the picts.

Don

Well I will admit they do look purdy but they also have a function. the top one is a wide band Air/Fuel, middle one Trans Temp and bottom one exhaust temp and the Shelby ones are Boost Oil and fuel pressure.

PJ

Well I decided to stick with the a-pillar pod and gauges that I had. I finished 99% of the job last night.

It was kind of a PITA, because the wiring with these gauges was way too short, so I had to tie new wiring in, splice into existing wiring, etc.

The whole thing took me a few hours I'd say. The boost/vacuum gauge lights up nicely. The AFR gauge has power, but no illumination circuit, since the gauge itself is a dancing light.

The only wire I have left to terminate is the AFR gauge's signal wire. I haven't been under the car to trace the O2 sensor wiring out yet, but hopefully tonight once I'm back home.

Anyway, here are some new pics of how they look, along with my Shelby gauge pod.

Ken

DSC06712.jpg

DSC06714.jpg

DSC06718.jpg

DSC06719.jpg

DSC06721.jpg

DSC06723.jpg

Ken

Hey Ken same thing happened to me from summit they told me it was a replacement !!!. I sent it back and got the one I wanted but not from them but kept the gauges. I like summit they never give you a problem with returns and they gave me a discount on the gauges for my trouble. I try and spread my purchase give everyone a chance.

Anthony

DSC06669.jpg

DSC06670.jpg

DSC06671.jpg

DSC06672.jpg

DSC06673.jpg

Hey Anthony I know what you mean. I try to spend my money with a few different shops, so I have a pool of reliable, helpful vendors when I need them.

But Summit is definitely at the top of my list. They've got everything and their customer service is 2nd to absolutely none.

As for this pod, I wasn't sure about the whole 'cover' thing at first. But the more that I monkeyed with it, the more I liked it. Either way, I think the a-pillar setup looks way cool!

Ken

Hey Anthony I know what you mean. I try to spend my money with a few different shops, so I have a pool of reliable, helpful vendors when I need them.

But Summit is definitely at the top of my list. They've got everything and their customer service is 2nd to absolutely none.

As for this pod, I wasn't sure about the whole 'cover' thing at first. But the more that I monkeyed with it, the more I liked it. Either way, I think the a-pillar setup looks way cool!

Ken

Either way Ken looks great !!!!! Also summit tech guys are super nice and on the money and they never try to push you to buy something.

I called about my buddys car and if we should up grade the intake manifold with the new carb and they said a big No the manifold on there is perfect!!

Anthony

post-18733-1246197928_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1246197928_thumb.jpg

Archived