TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My first real run-in

Spent the morning yesterday detailing the car (clay bar, polish, wax) despite the 110 degree heat index. Last night, I went to wash my microfiber towels and realized I was out of detergent. After a quick stop at Target, I headed back to the house. I look in the rearview and what did I see? A silver M5 rapidly approaching.

Now, I am not a proponent of street racing by any means, and I often have kids in Scions, Civics, etc revving engines at stop lights. I usually just laugh and go about my business. But this was different...

He pulls up next to me at 40mph and lunges the throttle a little. I quickly turn off the traction-control and drop it into second. He then floors it as do I. That was all she wrote as his car quickly dropped back several lengths. :car:

I slow back down and he catches up with his window down. Wide-eyed he says to me "Holy s*%t! That thing is ridiculous!" I smile and say "yes, it sure is." He then waves and then turns into a subdivision.

Granted that I don't think that this M5 was a 2009 (looked about a year or two old), but I still don't think that even a new one would keep up with the TVS!

Ok, I have donned my flame-suit...

Spent the morning yesterday detailing the car (clay bar, polish, wax) despite the 110 degree heat index. Last night, I went to wash my microfiber towels and realized I was out of detergent. After a quick stop at Target, I headed back to the house. I look in the rearview and what did I see? A silver M5 rapidly approaching.

Now, I am not a proponent of street racing by any means, and I often have kids in Scions, Civics, etc revving engines at stop lights. I usually just laugh and go about my business. But this was different...

He pulls up next to me at 40mph and lunges the throttle a little. I quickly turn off the traction-control and drop it into second. He then floors it as do I. That was all she wrote as his car quickly dropped back several lengths. :car:

I slow back down and he catches up with his window down. Wide-eyed he says to me "Holy s*%t! That thing is ridiculous!" I smile and say "yes, it sure is." He then waves and then turns into a subdivision.

Granted that I don't think that this M5 was a 2009 (looked about a year or two old), but I still don't think that even a new one would keep up with the TVS!

i'm lovin' it!! :shift: :happy feet: my wife has an 08' M3 (which is quick), but she gets dusted too. those bmw M series vehicles are neat cars though. very refined. handle great. i wouldn't hold a candle to her on a twisty road course. :banghead:

gook kill

Look at the specs on the car, while 500hp sounds impressive they only manage to have 383 ft/lbs. of torque and the fact that their car weighs about an extra hundred pounds there is no way he could have kept up with you. Another dork with too much money...

My next door neighbor has an M5. He took me for a ride and I can tell it would be no contest. I'd walk him no problem.

BUT...he also has a, wait for it...wait for it... 2007 Porsche twin turbo. Now that is a friggin machine. He took me for a ride the other night and I was all smiles. Not sure how my stage 2 would fare up against it. The acceleration with the turbos and all wheel drive is mind bending. I was really impressed. Very nice machine.

Any of you guys ever run into one? How'd ya do?

DS

My next door neighbor has an M5. He took me for a ride and I can tell it would be no contest. I'd walk him no problem.

BUT...he also has a, wait for it...wait for it... 2007 Porsche twin turbo. Now that is a friggin machine. He took me for a ride the other night and I was all smiles. Not sure how my stage 2 would fare up against it. The acceleration with the turbos and all wheel drive is mind bending. I was really impressed. Very nice machine.

DS

The 997's are real fast; 3+ secs to 60mph (4-wheel drive helps, despite the added weight of the system). With decent hook-up, I think a Stage 2, but more likely a Stage 3 would be able to run with these cars, but only until aerodynamics of the GT500 prevents attainment of the magical 200+mph bragging rights. Oh, and if it's wet ... I don't think our cars even need to show up.... :cry:

But hey, on the bright side - I think our rides look way nicer, sound much better and are more fun to drive and own. PLUS, cost way less... :happy feet:

sure is fun to play around with the tvs...

DS

my guess is a stage 2 from a roll would have a chance vs a 997. from a dig he would lay the beat down.

was his stock? you have a stage 2? any tires for you? what speed/gear did you go from in the roll?

TVS with procal tune, 373's and 275's on the back cuz thats what Shelby puts on the 40th's. 2nd gear roll 3 times. Didn't look at the speedo, was watching the road and car.

His 997 is an auto and it is completely stock. I've been trying to get him to the track to play some more but all he wants is street play, so I'm out!

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.

i've raced two 996's and one 997 but i never had a stage 2. i did race a stock 996 when i had a stage 1 and he beat me pretty easy from a roll. 55 mph/2nd gear. we only got to go one time. i would of liked to of tried a lower mph in 2nd but thats how it goes. i would think something along the lines of 40 mph/2nd would of been perfect. let us know how you make out. i know your gonna do it.

TVS with procal tune, 373's and 275's on the back cuz thats what Shelby puts on the 40th's. 2nd gear roll 3 times. Didn't look at the speedo, was watching the road and car.

His 997 is an auto and it is completely stock. I've been trying to get him to the track to play some more but all he wants is street play, so I'm out!

well thats no fair :happy feet: if you have had yours on the dyno make sure you get your results added to the link in my sig.

yes, sorry to hijack no more porsche talk. i havent been lucky enough to run an m5 yet.

Archived