TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My thoughts regarding detailing/mods for the new GT500

cbr1000

Before I ordered my car, and while waiting for it I did quite a bit of research regarding modifications, do I detail or let the dealer detail. Since I've received the car a couple things are very clear to me now. Most of the advice I received regarding detailing the car was accurate. You're better off not letting the Dealer detail the car. My car came fairly dirty. I assume it was an average amount of road dust from shipping. I have a new apprectiation for the people that do car detailing for a living. I spent over 20+ hours on the exterior. I know the Dealer would not of done the same. If I were to do the same type of work for someone else I wouldn't do it for less then a coupe thousand dollars. When I researched clay barring some said it is not necessary on a new car. I now know that is not true. You should clay bar a new car. There was two areas of overspray that were not visable until I clayed. I researched waxes and found that most recommended Zaino. I planned to use it, but found out it was only available on line. So, if you want to use that brand order it now. I ended up using Mcquires gold products and NST2.0 wax (maybe it NSX I don't recall, either way it's Mcquires wax about $20 bottle). I used microfiber for everything. If I were better prepared I would of bought, in bulk, the microfiber towels from Costco. Basically I hand washed, clay barred, cleaner wax, wax. I don't recommend doing this if you have health issues or are too busy to commit 20+ hours. Another option to consider would be to pay a professional detailer to do it at their shop or your house. Overall, I'm thrilled at the way the paint turned out. It was a lot of work, but it payed off.

I also did a fair amount of research related to modifications. I'm glad I didn't buy anything in advance. The ride height is okay for me. It looks like it rides a little lower than last years 500. The exhaust note is similair to the KR. I like the factory wheels/tires, and shifter. For now, I'm not sure what mods I will do. I think my first step is going to be the 3M film on the front bumper. I originally planned to lower it and add axle backs. I'm not sure if that's necessary.

Nice write up. Now we need photos . . . you know the rules. ;)

It was interesting reading your post. Spending 20 hours with your new toy, feeling every crease and curve, taking it from dirty to sparkling is an experience that everyone should have. I did it with my car and had a similar feeling as you (although I ordered the Zaino while I was waiting for the car). Bottom line, the time you took on the front end will pay off, literally, for the life of the car.

Jim

Nice write up. Now we need photos . . . you know the rules. ;)

It was interesting reading your post. Spending 20 hours with your new toy, feeling every crease and curve, taking it from dirty to sparkling is an experience that everyone should have. I did it with my car and had a similar feeling as you (although I ordered the Zaino while I was waiting for the car). Bottom line, the time you took on the front end will pay off, literally, for the life of the car.

Jim

It was a bonding experience. A little blood and sweat in the wax...... I do know every detail of the exterior. Tonight I hopefully will get the interior done. It's in pretty good shape, shouldn't take too long.

It was a bonding experience. A little blood and sweat in the wax...... I do know every detail of the exterior. Tonight I hopefully will get the interior done. It's in pretty good shape, shouldn't take too long.

good post.. I cleaned mine up in about 1.5hrs. A quick wash and then Zaino polish(Z5 I think) Car is beautiful. I also would add that the paint is soo much better on these cars from Flat Rock than Dearborn !!

On the mods I plan on keeping it stock until I have completely gotten all I can get out of it stock. I hope to be able to get in the mid - low 12's on factory rubber and tune.. Then tune and pulley's, maybe a TS S/C in a couple years.

Plan on spending less time wrenching on this one and more time driving!

Has it been at least 90 days since your car was painted. You know you gotta let that stuff cure a little. Oh and you polished up your 2010 and no pics????? Come on man we need to see pics. LOL

That's why I believed it was NOT a good idea to clay bar right off the truck.........maybe I was wrong??

Before I ordered my car, and while waiting for it I did quite a bit of research regarding modifications, do I detail or let the dealer detail. Since I've received the car a couple things are very clear to me now. Most of the advice I received regarding detailing the car was accurate. You're better off not letting the Dealer detail the car. My car came fairly dirty. I assume it was an average amount of road dust from shipping. I have a new apprectiation for the people that do car detailing for a living. I spent over 20+ hours on the exterior. I know the Dealer would not of done the same. If I were to do the same type of work for someone else I wouldn't do it for less then a coupe thousand dollars. When I researched clay barring some said it is not necessary on a new car. I now know that is not true. You should clay bar a new car. There was two areas of overspray that were not visable until I clayed. I researched waxes and found that most recommended Zaino. I planned to use it, but found out it was only available on line. So, if you want to use that brand order it now. I ended up using Mcquires gold products and NST2.0 wax (maybe it NSX I don't recall, either way it's Mcquires wax about $20 bottle). I used microfiber for everything. If I were better prepared I would of bought, in bulk, the microfiber towels from Costco. Basically I hand washed, clay barred, cleaner wax, wax. I don't recommend doing this if you have health issues or are too busy to commit 20+ hours. Another option to consider would be to pay a professional detailer to do it at their shop or your house. Overall, I'm thrilled at the way the paint turned out. It was a lot of work, but it payed off.

I also did a fair amount of research related to modifications. I'm glad I didn't buy anything in advance. The ride height is okay for me. It looks like it rides a little lower than last years 500. The exhaust note is similair to the KR. I like the factory wheels/tires, and shifter. For now, I'm not sure what mods I will do. I think my first step is going to be the 3M film on the front bumper. I originally planned to lower it and add axle backs. I'm not sure if that's necessary.

tell me more about the 3M film--i love the car but Ive killed alot of bugs and im afraid when i drive and hit them going fatser,it'll take paint off.

My car was just built 6/3 and i just had the dealer wash it for me and it looks and feels great.I did check the railyard it was delivered to here in ATl and tha car it was on had a heavy mesh curtain on each side--maybe that kept it cleaner--plus its only like 700 miles to falt Rock from here.You must really love that car--ive clay barred my GTO,and its pretty intense and detailed work.

Has it been at least 90 days since your car was painted. You know you gotta let that stuff cure a little. Oh and you polished up your 2010 and no pics????? Come on man we need to see pics. LOL

It's gotta be near 90 days. I don't know how long it takes to throw together a GT500, but my manufacture date was over a month ago. I imagine they paint the frame and exterior at least two months prior. It needed the clay. No doubt about it....I was doubtful because the cars I've bought new in the past were Dealer prepped. I arrived at my Dealer to pickup the car within a couple hours of it arriving off the truck. More pics later.... All I got are dirty car pics which I already posted.

Looks like my first investment into the car is a photoshoot. Just booked a photographer...will post pics after the shoot.

tell me more about the 3M film--i love the car but Ive killed alot of bugs and im afraid when i drive and hit them going fatser,it'll take paint off.

My car was just built 6/3 and i just had the dealer wash it for me and it looks and feels great.I did check the railyard it was delivered to here in ATl and tha car it was on had a heavy mesh curtain on each side--maybe that kept it cleaner--plus its only like 700 miles to falt Rock from here.You must really love that car--ive clay barred my GTO,and its pretty intense and detailed work.

I'm pretty sure I will do this. I've got two calls out now for price/availability info. Both places I've checked use the film from this site....

http://www.xpel.com/ I will post pics if I end up having it done. I have the film on my 4runners rear fender flairs. It came like that from the factory and I've owned it since new 2001. They have held up very well and I can agressively spray that area. Since you don't want to powerwash the stripes I thought about adding the film for protection, but also easy cleaning off of bugs.

Unlike you I made the mistake of letting the dealership clean the car for pick up. They must have used a power washer and a brush to wash her because there were surface scratches all over her and the paint was like sand paper. I too used Meguiars clay kit and syn wax 2.0. I later used their Deep Crystal system which I found worked amazingly well and I think a little cheaper than Zaino. But I do use Turtle wax liquid ice under hood just because it leaves no white residue on rubber and plastic. I think I still have pics up after I used the Deep Crystal. Also there are no abrasives in their cleaner waxes used in the claybar kit and the deep crystal kit. The ScratchX2.0 does have mild abrasives in it though. I had two scratches on the car I had to use the ScratchX on. With mine being an 09' I did do the FRP1 power upgrade and billet lower control arms on the rear to stop the axle hop. I think your 2010 has those things addressed with the power and handling issues. Congratulations and Enjoy!! I just saw the pic's she is beautiful the 2010 GT500's are Gorgeous love that Black with blue stripes!!

Before I ordered my car, and while waiting for it I did quite a bit of research regarding modifications, do I detail or let the dealer detail. Since I've received the car a couple things are very clear to me now. Most of the advice I received regarding detailing the car was accurate. You're better off not letting the Dealer detail the car. My car came fairly dirty. I assume it was an average amount of road dust from shipping. I have a new appreciation for the people that do car detailing for a living. I spent over 20+ hours on the exterior. I know the Dealer would not of done the same. If I were to do the same type of work for someone else I wouldn't do it for less then a coupe thousand dollars. When I researched clay barring some said it is not necessary on a new car. I now know that is not true. You should clay bar a new car. There was two areas of overspray that were not visible until I clayed. I researched waxes and found that most recommended Zaino. I planned to use it, but found out it was only available on line. So, if you want to use that brand order it now. I ended up using Meguiars gold products and NST2.0 wax (maybe it NSX I don't recall, either way it's Meguiars wax about $20 bottle). I used microfiber for everything. If I were better prepared I would of bought, in bulk, the microfiber towels from Costco. Basically I hand washed, clay barred, cleaner wax, wax. I don't recommend doing this if you have health issues or are too busy to commit 20+ hours. Another option to consider would be to pay a professional detailer to do it at their shop or your house. Overall, I'm thrilled at the way the paint turned out. It was a lot of work, but it payed off.

Wow...20 hours on your exterior? I'm hoping mine should only take an hour. Using a clay bar for overspray is generally an easy, minimal effort task. I had to do that on my current car 11 years ago when I took delivery of it. There was black overspray covering the entire car.

Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax is my current favorite. I love the shine it leaves.

099.jpg

102.jpg

096.jpg

063.jpg

106.jpg

104.jpg

094.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

Now thats what I'm talkin about brother! :yup:

Looks PHENOMENAL, you can definitely see that much sweat went into the exterior detailing.

I will post pics of my Kona Vert (hopefully tomorrow if the damn thing shows up)...

Haven't seen any KONA's Yet??? Did Ford forget to buy that color paint??? :headscratch:

I know they have a butt-load of Grabber Blue!!

Be careful washing a black car and your life will be much easier. Buy yourself a waffle weave microfiber drying cloth and never wash in direct sunlight.

Greg where do you buy that kind of cloth??YOu must be jumping out of your skin about the car--is it in Atl yet??

Archived