TEAM SHELBY FORUM

California Emissions equipment

SteelSteeds

Does anyone know what effect the CA emissions equipment has on the GT-500? I live in Oregon, and there is a blue/white stripe coupe sitting at a local dealership which appears to have been brought in from CA. It has the CA emissions equipment. The other reason I'm wondering is that the OR governor recently snuck through a law mandating that as of the 2009 model year all cars sold in OR must meet CA emissions requirements. I have not heard that CA Shelbys are lower in hp, so I'm really curious.

Is the car for sale on a used car lot. How much and where. If your working a deal I understand.

Just curious.

Rob

It was sitting on the Dick Hannah Ford lot, by the Arena. I don't what the mark up was, but they offered it to me at $20k over. They were also willing to give me "over book value" on my '98. I thanked the sales manager, but told him to call me when they'd sell it to me at MSRP. Haven't heard from him yet. As of Friday they had 2, the blue one and a red one. Friday the blue one was sitting outside in front of the dealer. Today it isn't there. I don't know if that means they parked it inside or sold it.

Mostly I'm just curious if the Shelby is maintaining 500hp with the CA emissions, since we'll be dealing with that in 2 years. I plan to buy well before that, but curious nonetheless.

I researched this some time back and I thought that it was a requirement for any vehicle purchased in CA or a bordering state to have the CA emisions option, since so many cars come to CA from across the state lines. I could be wrong but that was my understanding at the time.

It was sitting on the Dick Hannah Ford lot, by the Arena. I don't what the mark up was, but they offered it to me at $20k over. They were also willing to give me "over book value" on my '98. I thanked the sales manager, but told him to call me when they'd sell it to me at MSRP. Haven't heard from him yet. As of Friday they had 2, the blue one and a red one. Friday the blue one was sitting outside in front of the dealer. Today it isn't there. I don't know if that means they parked it inside or sold it.

Mostly I'm just curious if the Shelby is maintaining 500hp with the CA emissions, since we'll be dealing with that in 2 years. I plan to buy well before that, but curious nonetheless.

There is no difference in the CA emissions equipment than any other state. The certification code must be ordered differently, but there is no additional/different hardware or software. It still has 500 HP.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Rob, you are correct, it's in Portland. It used to be Colliseum Ford, then it was Town and Country Ford, and earlier this year Dick Hannah bought it. It is right next to the Rose Garden Arena, home of the Jailblazers.

I researched this some time back and I thought that it was a requirement for any vehicle purchased in CA or a bordering state to have the CA emisions option, since so many cars come to CA from across the state lines. I could be wrong but that was my understanding at the time.

It isn't a requirement for bordering states, but it is an option, so they can have inventory to sell across state lines. It is NOT currently an option for non-bordering states.

Thanks Dave!

Rob, you are correct, it's in Portland. It used to be Colliseum Ford, then it was Town and Country Ford, and earlier this year Dick Hannah bought it. It is right next to the Rose Garden Arena, home of the Jailblazers.

The Portland Jailblazers...too funny :hysterical: But true.

So that dealership has traded hands many times. Interesting. I see DH buying up dealerships everywhere in the NW. He has a huge operation.

It's not going to be very long before CA emission equipment will be standardized on all vehicles sold in the United States regardless of what State the car is sold in. Unfortunately, the emission equipment delete option won't be around much longer unless you can prove that the vehicle will be used in a Law Enforcement capisity. And if you really think about it for a minute, other than the cat. converters, nowdays the emission controls really don't steal a significant amount of power from the engine like they did back in the mid seventy's through the late eighty's. The problem with our (CA) emission laws is not so much that it mandates that the car has to have controls them from the factory, but more so the mandate that one can never tamper with the equipment, must maintain the equipment for however long you own the car (verifed by a bi-annual visual inspection and emission sniffer on a dyno), and that you can't make any mods to the engine unless the parts you are adding have a CA emission Excutive Order number stamped on them.

But the real pisser to me is that even if the high perfromance engine that I want to put in my post 1975 car has all of the orginal emission controls installed on it and runs cleaner than the orginal engine that it's replacing, I'm still not allowed to make the change because I am not installing the original engine configuration back into the car. The only way that I can change the engine legally is if I give the state $10,000+ dollars and my car for six months for testing so I can get a Excutive Order making my engine swap smog legal. That's how Saleen does it with their Parnelli Jones Mustang. The Parnelli Jones edition 302 engine had to be certified by Saleen because Ford does not offer that engine in a regular production model Mustang (yet). So everyone take heed and fight tooth and nail anytime you hear your state trying to add or change their emmision requirements to be more "like California's".

Believe me it really sucks to be a gearhead living in California. I am envious of all of you who live in states that still let you express your mechanical creativity almost anyway you wish; only limited by the factory warranty requirements that block tampering. I own a 2003 Mercury Marauder that I can't do anything to because no one makes smog legal parts for the car, and it's likely that they never will. That's because Ford only built a grand total of about 11,000 units for the two years the car was for sale, so the performance parts manufacturers don't see much of a market in order to get a return on their investment to have the part made emission's legal. Here's an example for you.. K&N makes a smog legal cold air intake kit for the Crown Victoria, but the almost identical cold air kit they have for the Marauder is not legal because the engines are different between the two cars. It really a stupid situation.

Archived