TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer detail..second thoughts.

cbr1000

I'm reconsidering having the Dealer detail my car when it arrives. My initial thoughts were to do it myself. After hearing about rail dust, and how dirty they get from transport I'm reconsidering having the Dealer do it. I asked a few questions regarding what's their process regarding detailing. My salesman told me the detailer has worked with them for 30 years and clay bars the entire car. I've never clay barred a car, but was planning on learning. I don't have a porter cable or high quality detailing gear. So, you think I'm okay with letting them do it? I fear embedding the rail dust and other small particles into the finish. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but it sounds like it's going to arrive in bad shape.

Unless you are completely uncomfortable doing it yourself, then I would not let them detail the car, regardless of how much experience they have. The reason is simple: no one cares about your car like you do, because you're the only one with personal money invested in it.

I will let the dealer conduct their PDI (fluids and the like), supervised by me, but I'm taking off all the exterior plastic that covers painted surfaces in their presence, and inspecting the heck out of the interior. I will remove all window stickers and decals and do all the detailing myself.

Reason: I bought an 03 Cobra brand new. When it came off the truck, I looked it over carefully and it was fine except for a healthy layer of road dirt. When I picked it up the next day, it had a 14" long scratch into the primer behind the drivers side rear wheel (in the lower body panel). Never again....

I agree.........do it yourself. The dealer I ordered mine from USED to have really good people detailing their new cars, but has since outsourced to a new company. Even the service manager says he wouldn't trust some of the workers he uses now. Like STILL INTENSE said...... do a thorough job of inspecting your car. I certainly dont think a brand new car needs, nor should have, the clay bar treatment. And they don't need to have fun driving it either (at least not without you in the car)..........thats for you to do!!!

I dont see why you would need to do anything but wash the car and take off the stickers! Getting to wash YOUR car is half the fun. Ask the guys to PDI it and then leave it alone. The car does need to be driven for the PDI, but Im sure they will let you drive it or go with the tech.

To turn on the Supercharger you have to drive the car 5 consective miles! No one else at the store here has ever driven a GT500 but me. I do the PDI test drive. I take the car 4 miles out and the SC turns on almost back to the store. I trust my guys, but I know how Shelby guys are and I dont want someone abusing their cars!!!

MM

At 64 Ive boutght alot of cars,including vettes,stangs etc,and also have a show 65 GTO that i detail myself. Id just inspect the heck out of the car,look for scratches,orange peel,whatever--and accept/reject the car on ist merit.I told a dealer on a new vette, the orange peel was unacceptibel, and he wt-sanded the whole car--it looked great.Go look at the new cars on their lot and see how they look.And if you damage the car plying off the plastic,or scratch it whileclay barring,its your car.Id just let them do it,and tell them if its not right you wont buy the car

Unless you are completely uncomfortable doing it yourself, then I would not let them detail the car, regardless of how much experience they have. The reason is simple: no one cares about your car like you do, because you're the only one with personal money invested in it.

I will let the dealer conduct their PDI (fluids and the like), supervised by me, but I'm taking off all the exterior plastic that covers painted surfaces in their presence, and inspecting the heck out of the interior. I will remove all window stickers and decals and do all the detailing myself.

Reason: I bought an 03 Cobra brand new. When it came off the truck, I looked it over carefully and it was fine except for a healthy layer of road dirt. When I picked it up the next day, it had a 14" long scratch into the primer behind the drivers side rear wheel (in the lower body panel). Never again....

Yessirrr, plus one!!

When I picked mine up they gave it a quick detail, but nothing to in depth. It looked like they were spraying and waxing with a squirt bottle full of liquid Crisco, ha-ha. Hey, it turned out fine! :shrug:

I always refuse the detail on a new car especially when they are dark. When I bought my 2008 F350 (black) I told the dealer not to touch it and when I arrived to pick it up there was holograms all over the truck. It took me 2 days to polish the truck back to a decent condition. Most of the detailers hired by dealers use a dirty wool pad and quickly hit it with a cleaner wax/glaze. As soon as the glaze washes off good luck.

The best way to go about it is refuse the detail, buy a clar bar, paint prep(cleaner) and your favorite wax/sealant. Wash the car and then clay it. Make sure the paint is never dry when claying. This will lead to scratches that will need to be polished out. Wash the car after claying and then hit it with a cleaner and then wax. Done.

This is just my opinion and do not intend to insult anyone. I know there are dealers that prep correctly but none I have dealt with.

Archived