TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How My Shelby Saved My Life

uno

When i was 21, i was a Senior in college double majoring in Physics and Mathematics. I was a college golfer always fighting with teachers who would fail me for missing midterms and finals because of the golf schedule and travel. During my senior year i happened to qualify for the Nationwide Tour, the minor leagues of golf basically, $750,000 dollar purses at the time. I could not pass up the opportunity to live out my dream so i turned professional. Failed my classes that quarter and dropped out.

I know its not the "role model" thing to do, but it was the best decisions i have ever made. That year led to more and more Nationwide Tour events, enough to buy a house a Subaru WRX STI and my dream car, the Shelby.

When the i saw a 2007 Shelby GT i jumped on it. It was an impulse buy to be honest, i saw it at a dealership and owned the documents within 30 minutes. It was not as fast, nor as agile as the Twin Turbo WRX STI I was driving at the time but it was my dream. I loved the styling, loved the history, loved the fact that it said "Shelby" on it. I felt i owned a piece of history.

My Shelby, the 2nd part of my dream life. It meant to me, myself, as if i had accomplished a great feat. I made my dream to happen. I worked hard, i was never given money from my parents, i never had a golf lesson, i did everything on my own. And to make my dream happen on my own terms at the tender age of 23, The 2007 Shelby GT is a marking stone in my life.

I am 25 now, i recently had a seizure while driving around a 55 mile an hour bend, i hit the center divider, went over a ditch, through a chain link fence and eventually, my left front tire hit a telephone pole. The car itself sustained no structural or mechanical damage other than the Paxton, and the front suspension. LOTS of aesthetic damage though. The car had to be repainted, and rebuilt, but i didnt. I suffered no wounds, not even a scratch of a bruise.

The car is a blessing that saved my life, and watched over me as i seized. It lead me to my brain cancer diagnosis at the perfect time. My Shelby suffered through its flesh wounds at the same time I have suffered through the unfathomable pain of BEATING brain cancer. Side by side we are now fixed, brand new, better than ever.

broken.jpg

broken1.jpg

braintumor.jpg

so as you can see, we've been through alot together. The Shelby is fixed, and so am I. The 18 hour surgery removed the tumor, and they say its all gone. However, only MRI's every 6 months will tell for sure.

I am so glad you are OK. What a blessing that you were not injured in the accident and that you found the cancer as a result. My brother went through a cancer "scare" just last fall with everything also working out.

It can be a real eye opener to just how fragile life can be.

Hats off to YOU, uno! I am 25 too, and although I can't even fathom beating brain cancer, I can relate to your story and getting your dream car so young.

That was one big tumor... you are so very fortunate.

Blessings,

Gabe

HOLY COW MAN !!! I AM SURE WE CAN ALL AGREE THAT GOD HAS BLESSED YOU

AND YOUR FAMILY. CONGRATS ON YOUR FIGHT WITH THE BIG C ; AND SO GLAD

TO HEAR YOU AND YOUR SHELBY ARE DOING WELL.

SCOTTY

This post should be moved to "The Shelby of the Month" forum....I think it applies.....

GT

+1

Great story uno. If ya ever wanna grab a beer or get a golf lesson from me, drop me a line since we live so close man. ;)

Ken

I am so glad you are OK. What a blessing that you were not injured in the accident and that you found the cancer as a result. My brother went through a cancer "scare" just last fall with everything also working out.

It can be a real eye opener to just how fragile life can be.

this is spot on, the reasons i see it as a blessing rather than a tragedy. It was an eye opener for sure, life is indeed fragile. And our Shelby's can take a BEATING!

I was told two things by two people when i asked "why me?" I was never a religious man until these two things brought my mind to ease:

"God does not need evil to create good, but he can always make good from evils."

-My mother

"For I know the plans i have for you." declared the lord. "Plans to prosper you, not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"

-Jeremiah 29:11 told to me by a dear friend

these words comforted me, even though I was not religious prior to the incident, and they explain a lot. I was given 1/5 chances to retain eyesight and leg function during the tumor removal, and lost neither. I feel 100% now, simply waiting for the Doctors to say "go play golf again"

this is spot on, the reasons i see it as a blessing rather than a tragedy. It was an eye opener for sure, life is indeed fragile. And our Shelby's can take a BEATING!

I was told two things by two people when i asked "why me?" I was never a religious man until these two things brought my mind to ease:

"God does not need evil to create good, but he can always make good from evils."

-My mother

"For I know the plans i have for you." declared the lord. "Plans to prosper you, not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"

-Jeremiah 29:11 told to me by a dear friend

these words comforted me, even though I was not religious prior to the incident, and they explain a lot. I was given 1/5 chances to retain eyesight and leg function during the tumor removal, and lost neither. I feel 100% now, simply waiting for the Doctors to say "go play golf again"

There is *NOTHING* that you could experience where he wouldn't be right there with you. God might not do the work for you, but he will definitely be by your side!

He is using you, Uno, and with this experience behind you, you can pass along your wisdom, faith, and hope to someone who faces the battle.

Amazing story. I am very happy for your successful treatment! Are you driving your car now? You may want to change your screen name to Happy for several reasons...Cheers man hope that you continue to progress and feel even better....

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. Close calls tend to make you do a little soul searching, when you otherwise wouldn't. It happened for a good reason, as you know. The Lord works in mysterious ways and will never let you down.

Congrats on your physical and spiritual recovery!

Amazing story. I am very happy for your successful treatment! Are you driving your car now? You may want to change your screen name to Happy for several reasons...Cheers man hope that you continue to progress and feel even better....

i am Happy, blessed, lucky etc. However my screen name is my real life last name haha

Uno...it is really my last name lol

Mr. Uno, you are truely blessed. Thanks for sharing your story with us; god knows we could use some good news around here.

Best wishes for your continued recovery.

:beerchug: I love a happy ending!, take care!

Archived