TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just Drive it!

MarkGT08

I was reading the thread about taking the Shelby on trips. I just wanted to comment on my philosophy on sports cars in general and get some opinions back.

When I was younger, I used to try and keep the miles low on all my toys, Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. And I now longer have any of those cars, and they were all sold/traded in with low miles. And now I look back and wonder why I saved all those miles for someone else to enjoy. And honestly, the additional value of the "low miles" car that I got when I disposed of the car wouldn't compare to the missed fun I got out of driving the car. And I know that a lot of people want to keep the car as a collectors item. I can understand that also. But I always had that same philosophy and it just never happened. I don't have the income of Jay Leno, nor do I ever think I will be able to compare to his garage. I don't feel like being on my deathbed in 30 or 40 years and thinking "I really did a great job keeping the miles off my car"

My wife has told me "if you are saving this car for your old age, TOO LATE". And she's right. Back in my clueless youth, I thought I would end up with a stable of all my cars in some storage unit, all with a story to tell. And in reality, that didn't happen. And in general, that never happens. Everyone has some anecdotal story of some guy who still has his 65 Mustang from when he was a young puppy, but those stories are few and far between.

So I am going to drive the hell out of this car. And probably in the next 5 to 10 years, it will be replaced with "the next best thing". Maybe I will hold onto it, but maybe it will be replaced with a 2015 Shelby.

Only time will tell.

I have 15K miles on my car, not a lot in the big scheme of things for an 07, but enough. My goal is not to keep my miles down so some guy can sell it at Barrett-Jackson 40 years from now for big $$$$. No, I want that SOB to be swearing my name because I drove and enjoyed it so much.

:shift:

I have 15K miles on my car, not a lot in the big scheme of things for an 07, but enough. My goal is not to keep my miles down so some guy can sell it at Barrett-Jackson 40 years from now for big $$$$. No, I want that SOB to be swearing my name because I drove and enjoyed it so much.

+1

I bought my '07 in Sept 2007. Since, it's my only car, it's been my daily driver, just like the 2004 Mach1 before it. I still never tire of driving it, even to the grocery store.

Many years ago, I had a 1971 Porsche 911T while going to engineering school. It, too, was my daily driver. It took me on summer camping trips, up to Boeing in Seattle for a summer job and down to LA for my first job out of school at McDonnell Douglas.

Just short of owning it 10 years, it was destroyed in a fire at the Porsche shop where I had it in for service.

After that, I purchased my (then) dream car. A 1972 Porsche 911S. It was 14 years old an had less than 30k miles when I bought it. I didn't want to add miles on it and devalue it, so I rarely drove it. I sold it a few years later with 35k miles on it.

Big Mistake. I am now kicking myself for not driving it and enjoying it like I did with the first one.

You can never buy the fun and good memories of driving the car like it was meant to.

The extra money I received for its low mileage when selling the car is long gone. I wish I had the memories of driving it for 50k miles, instead!!! :yup::yup:

+1

I bought my '07 in Sept 2007. Since, it's my only car, it's been my daily driver, just like the 2004 Mach1 before it. I still never tire of driving it, even to the grocery store.

Many years ago, I had a 1971 Porsche 911T while going to engineering school. It, too, was my daily driver. It took me on summer camping trips, up to Boeing in Seattle for a summer job and down to LA for my first job out of school at McDonnell Douglas.

Just short of owning it 10 years, it was destroyed in a fire at the Porsche shop where I had it in for service.

After that, I purchased my (then) dream car. A 1972 Porsche 911S. It was 14 years old an had less than 30k miles when I bought it. I didn't want to add miles on it and devalue it, so I rarely drove it. I sold it a few years later with 35k miles on it.

Big Mistake. I am now kicking myself for not driving it and enjoying it like I did with the first one.

You can never buy the fun and good memories of driving the car like it was meant to.

The extra money I received for its low mileage when selling the car is long gone. I wish I had the memories of driving it for 50k miles, instead!!! :yup::yup:

I had a 1998 "heavily doctored" Camaro Z28" After owning it for 8 years and only 28,000 miles, I gave it to my son as a wedding present 2 years ago, since he drooled all over it from the time he was 15. He used it as his daily driver. A month ago, with still only 55,000 miles on it, he was rear ended on an interstate in Seattle during rush hour, and the car was totalled. He is fine, thankfully.

But what did I save all those miles for? .......So it would be the lowest mileage 98 Camaro in the junkyard! :banghead:

+1

Great example!

After reading this, if it wasn't so crappy out, I'd go for a drive!

I was reading the thread about taking the Shelby on trips. I just wanted to comment on my philosophy on sports cars in general and get some opinions back.

When I was younger, I used to try and keep the miles low on all my toys, Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. And I now longer have any of those cars, and they were all sold/traded in with low miles. And now I look back and wonder why I saved all those miles for someone else to enjoy. And honestly, the additional value of the "low miles" car that I got when I disposed of the car wouldn't compare to the missed fun I got out of driving the car. And I know that a lot of people want to keep the car as a collectors item. I can understand that also. But I always had that same philosophy and it just never happened. I don't have the income of Jay Leno, nor do I ever think I will be able to compare to his garage. I don't feel like being on my deathbed in 30 or 40 years and thinking "I really did a great job keeping the miles off my car"

My wife has told me "if you are saving this car for your old age, TOO LATE". And she's right. Back in my clueless youth, I thought I would end up with a stable of all my cars in some storage unit, all with a story to tell. And in reality, that didn't happen. And in general, that never happens. Everyone has some anecdotal story of some guy who still has his 65 Mustang from when he was a young puppy, but those stories are few and far between.

So I am going to drive the hell out of this car. And probably in the next 5 to 10 years, it will be replaced with "the next best thing". Maybe I will hold onto it, but maybe it will be replaced with a 2015 Shelby.

Only time will tell.

I could not agree with you more!! Although I would love to keep the miles low on mine (I am 25), I am determined to enjoy it while we are both young :happy feet:

My Uncle still has the original Chevy Camaro Z28 from his high school years, and he is... in his 50's now. When we are at a car show a lot of people used to say "Very nice, I used to have one just like it!!"

His only response is always "Did you wreck it or sell it!?" :hysterical:

I think I am going to be a VERY old man with a high mileage car. Nyeh. :shrug:

Ours is my wife's daily driver and gets driven every day rain or shine.

My only concern are the consumables on the car. I have already stashed away the Shelby GT floor mats and put stock Mustang ones in their place and am thinking of doing the same thing with the sill plates.

For now, the scoop and stripes are holding up.

Guess everything can be restored at any time.

At some point, she will likely move on to another driver and this one will (hopefully) stay in my garage.

For now, its a wonderful driver!!!

Man, I struggle with this ALL the time! I commute 30 miles one way and can rack up some miles quick! I don't know why, I just hate thinking of putting miles on it, having some idiot smack into me on the freeway or ANYTHING else happening. I know it's all fixable, but don't know I could handle the heartache. You make some good points though. If nothing catostrophic ever happens to it you're left with two options: 1) Spend $$$ to restore her to her former glory 2)Sell it/give it away and buy whatever the latest greatest is.

Man, I struggle with this ALL the time! I commute 30 miles one way and can rack up some miles quick! I don't know why, I just hate thinking of putting miles on it, having some idiot smack into me on the freeway or ANYTHING else happening. I know it's all fixable, but don't know I could handle the heartache. You make some good points though. If nothing catostrophic ever happens to it you're left with two options: 1) Spend $$$ to restore her to her former glory 2)Sell it/give it away and buy whatever the latest greatest is.

Whoa! I'm not sure I meant to say make it a daily driver, though some have no choice, I do want to keep the car until I die and keep it nice!

I do however think nothing of getting the car on a Sunday morning and just drive for an hour down the highway with no destination. I just enjoy it.

I'm fortunate that I have another car as a daily driver and use it to go shopping and park at the mall etc., but I think there is a happy medium between the two extremes. But in the end do what you will...if you want to keep it with less than a 1000 mi on it, go for it, if you need to drive it every day, do it! In the end do what makes you happy...for me it's driving and yet keeping it in good enough condition to show. It's not easy but can be done!

:lurk:

It's not my daily driver..... it could be. But I look at it sitting there every night when I get home........ And can't wait for the milk run to the store or the weekend. I'm just saying it sometimes it feels like a big waste!

The "big waste" was much of the motive when I sold my racy cars and laid off for a couple decades: it got to the point I had a perfectly good car sitting in the garage three out of four weekends, and although it was fun to drive on the street, it was also not a totally legal exercise, as I was reminded from time to time by the boys with the badges.

San Diego is the perfect place to be retired and have great cars to drive; in 20 minutes you can be on back country roads that are effectively deserted between 9 and 11 am. A neat hundred-mile drive through the twisties (and a few miles to cool down the joy-feet) is practical, and wouldn't necessarily cover any of the same roads during a week of such pleasure drives.

People sometimes say, "You're so lucky to be living in San Diego!" My response: "No luck involved; I planned it that way!"

I agree 100%. My life could have turned out so much different that it did, I feel blessed every time I get in my Shelby and drive it down the road. I have 16K on it now and they are all awesome miles. I do bitch and complain about the HP in these cars but in all reality I love it!

You know, its funny. I also ride a Harley. This is my second Harley. In general, it's the opposite with bikes. I am a member of a couple of Harley forums and the general feeling is to put as many miles on them as you can. It's the high mileage people that do all the bragging, and the low mileage guys that get made fun of a lot. There are lots of jokes about trailer queens and garage queens. Some bikes are on their third or fourth engine or rebuild. It's a point of pride to say that you wore out an engine. Yeah, I know its a different animal, because the bikes are a lot less complicated to maintain and work on. But still, no one really saves a bike like they do a car.

Sometimes, after all these years, I think back on the stresses that came about from worrying about every little scratch on my car and laugh about it now. After all, it was just a car and fixable and replaceable.

Yes Yes drive the car !! I drive my 07 SGT nearly every day and have driven it on vacation twice. I went from Florida to Oklahoma and it was like a perpetual car show with my SGT being the only show participant. At every gas stop, rest area visit, and hotel stay, I had at least one person looking at the car who wanted to know more about the car. At one McDonalds in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, it took me 30 minutes to answer all the questions that 5 people were asking which required raising the hood of course. At a gas station in Montgomery, Alabama a young guy came running from across the street and had to sit in the car (I did remove the keys). Because there was virtually no marketing on these cars most people outside the "car crowd" are unaware what the SGT is. They usually know about the GT-500 but are really suprised that a "small block" Shelby was made in 2007. So the SGT is great to drive and enjoy, just don't knock off any banks driving it, because when the Police BOLO goes out, you'll be the only one on the road driving one.

DD here also, rain or shine this SGT sees it all. I've said it before, I work in the medical field and I see people (young and old) some because of old age, some because of accidents and some because of a disease laying in their "death" beds and all I say to myself is that it can be me on one of those beds one day so before that happens I want to live it up and drive this piece of history as much as I can and as hard as it will allow me to, so when I take my last breath, I'll do it with a smile that I drove a Shelby. Show these cars on the streets, no only in cars shows folks. :woohoo:

You know, its funny. I also ride a Harley. This is my second Harley. In general, it's the opposite with bikes. I am a member of a couple of Harley forums and the general feeling is to put as many miles on them as you can. It's the high mileage people that do all the bragging, and the low mileage guys that get made fun of a lot. There are lots of jokes about trailer queens and garage queens. Some bikes are on their third or fourth engine or rebuild. It's a point of pride to say that you wore out an engine. Yeah, I know its a different animal, because the bikes are a lot less complicated to maintain and work on. But still, no one really saves a bike like they do a car.

Sometimes, after all these years, I think back on the stresses that came about from worrying about every little scratch on my car and laugh about it now. After all, it was just a car and fixable and replaceable.

I know what you mean. I referenced my Uncle's '69 Z28 in my above ^ response. Do you think it is all original with all the matching numbers? No way! Could it have been? Absolutely. Honestly, I think the only thing that is original to the car is the iron 302ci block. Since then he has rebuilt the heads, replaced transmissions, suspension, countless sets of tires, but that just means he enjoyed the car!!

And you are right, it is just a car, and can be fixed. A couple of weekends ago I had a detail friend of mine look at my car, and he pointed out a nick in the paint on the right side, and a rock chip next to the window. I think he expected me to be really upset, but I said "hey, it is going to get chips, it's going to get dings..."

I keep mine garaged and it isn't a daily driver, but it surely isn't a garage queen, either. I do take care of it, but honestly, I don't get too upset when it sees rain or things like that. Cars were built to withstand weather, that's all there is to it. I happened to run into another Shelby owner (unbeknown at the time when I met him - he is a client with our company), and he uncovered a 2007 Shelby GT500 in his garage when I was leaving... he placed a stage 2 on it along with some other modifications, and you want to know how many miles were on it? 170!!

DD here also, rain or shine this SGT sees it all. I've said it before, I work in the medical field and I see people (young and old) some because of old age, some because of accidents and some because of a disease laying in their "death" beds and all I say to myself is that it can be me on one of those beds one day so before that happens I want to live it up and drive this piece of history as much as I can and as hard as it will allow me to, so when I take my last breath, I'll do it with a smile that I drove a Shelby. Show these cars on the streets, no only in cars shows folks. :woohoo:

I couldn't agree with you more!!

This October will be 2 years i have had mine and it has 2,200 miles on it. The low mileage isn't because i am necessarily trying to keep it that way. I was working 10 to 12 hours a day up until i retired on April 20th of this year. Between the long work hours and other personal obligations i just didn't have the time to drive it. I had an 03 Mach for almost 4 years, that i bought new, that had 9,100 miles on it when i sold it. Just didn't have the time to drive it either.

I often wondered why i bothered to buy them knowing how little they would get driven, but i have been a "car guy" since i was old enough to know what they were. When i was young my old musclecars were my daily drivers. I couldn't afford to have something else to drive and leave them sit.

An unused car is the most expensive garage floor covering i can think of. Now that i am retired i should have the time to enjoy the car more, only on nice dry days of course, and if my wife will ever run out of honeydo's....

My favoritte bike parties are the ones where the flyers say "No Trailers"...keeps the rubs away. :hysterical:

One thing I have learned in the Shelby is not to piss off someone in traffic. With my "ordinary" cars, I admit that I have gotten a little "unruly" when someone cuts me off or does something nasty in traffic. And once in awhile, my anger may have provoked a "gesture". I mean, who is going to remember an ordinary Dodge Dakota truck or a metallic gray V6 Mustang weeks later?

But in the Shelby, it sticks out in traffic like a beacon. It's not hard to remember the Grabber Orange Shelby even weeks later.

Cars are to drive...how can anyone enjoy these great cars by just letting them sit? I say enjoy the hell out of it. Make investments elsewhere.

my shelby shares it miles with my harley when its nice and no salt on the road. when its horse sh!t out or the roads are salty i drive what ever 1000 dollar beater i have at the time. some people dont get it but i have lived in the rust belt long enought to know that any car you like and want to keep nice for longer than 5 years does not get driven when the salt is out.

I heard the covered Shelby whimpering in the garage this morning...."drive me" it whispered. How could I deny it?!? Todays heat index had the temp pegged in the triple digits, so I dropped the top then cranked the A/C and tunes.... I was fine as long as I kept movin....

Whoa! I'm not sure I meant to say make it a daily driver, though some have no choice, I do want to keep the car until I die and keep it nice!

I do however think nothing of getting the car on a Sunday morning and just drive for an hour down the highway with no destination. I just enjoy it.

I'm fortunate that I have another car as a daily driver and use it to go shopping and park at the mall etc., but I think there is a happy medium between the two extremes. But in the end do what you will...if you want to keep it with less than a 1000 mi on it, go for it, if you need to drive it every day, do it! In the end do what makes you happy...for me it's driving and yet keeping it in good enough condition to show. It's not easy but can be done!

:lurk:

+1 Well said Jeff I totally agree!

I heard the covered Shelby whimpering in the garage this morning...."drive me" it whispered. How could I deny it?!? Todays heat index had the temp pegged in the triple digits, so I dropped the top then cranked the A/C and tunes.... I was fine as long as I kept movin....

hot as #$%%, down here. i know that this is an sgt forum, but i drive my 07gthvert every day!!

love it!!

HAPPY CRUISING!

Archived