TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SUPERCHARGER

I love my Whipple, but no strut tower brace can be used. All depends on what you are looking for, there are many good ones. The reason I went Whipple was I wanted it Registered and Tasca has installed a ton of Whipples and swears by them. Only issue I have is it makes so much power I can smell my clutch burning sometimes, might have to upgrade that as well.

There are numerous threads on this topic. First issue is whether it matters to you to have it in the SAI Registry. If it does, it is Whipple or KB. If you have an '07 (which you do not), it can be a Paxton.

If you are not interested in the SAI Registry, the choices are many. My informal survey suggests that most people who supercharge do not provide the car with other things it needs when it has that much power, like brakes and suspension. Do not kid yourself -- these cars can be more dangerous than you can imagine when you take 318 HP and make it 518 HP. If you do it, get it to a road course and have someone teach you how to drive it and stop it with all that power. If you already are into racing your car, you know what I mean.

Most of the GT500 owners have pretty scary stories of their early days with their cars. I learned a lot talking with some of them. If any of them read this thread, perhaps some will share some of those stories. These cars are animals when supercharged but they can bite back.

Jim

Clark17357 is right, I see many folks dropping a SC and go on the track to drag race and they wonder why their time suck compared to other cars with similar HP/TQ but to only realize that the other car has suspension upgrades that will get the power to the ground.

Any of the SC are good to go but it all depends on what you are going to do with the car.

I'm digging the Procharger system, seen some that makes crazy power and some owners installers are seeing more life out of the "other parts" than the twin screw because the power of the centrifugal ones comes a bit later not instant like the KB or whipple creating less stress but if you upgrade the rest you should have no problem. All in all, I hear it all the time, don't get greedy with the boost for you will be on borrowed time.

I love this sound from the Procharger....

I'd recommend upgrading your suspension, brakes, and tires, before installing an SC.

That way you can deliver your new found power to the ground safely and effectively, when the time comes.

As for brand, it depends on what you intend on doing with the car. If it's going to be a street only car or a weekend dragster, then any roots style would be best, IMO.

If you intend on tracking it often on a road course, go with a centrifugal (Paxton, ProCharger, Vortech). Good luck Louis!

Ken

I like the whipple, I need larger rears, the car is a beast. Still has the same easy to drive characteristics, just happpens way fast...

The Paxtons are not registry approved from any mod shop or SAI. Thats for 07-08 unless something changed. I personally would go Whipple time and again, they have a believer in me.

If you are a crappy driver I suggest some track time and/or autocrossing without the s/c first...but whatever, this is not your first hot rod right?

Besides....live a little... :confused:

Ok, I want to get a Supercharger, but there are so many choices. I need help.

1- What brand do you recommend

2- Which brand can I still put a Strut tower brace on.

1. The newest 550 HP Whipple (I have the older 500 HP version and love it.) If you prefer the looks of the Kennie Bell it is a fine choice too.

2. Paxton is the only one for at least 1 more month until I finish the Whipple strut tower brace I am working on.

Cheers.

Chip

You can have the KB and a strut tower brace, (see Clark17357), not the stock brace but I believe it's from the V-6. If I'm not mistaken Swedeman has a Paxton S/C'ed SGT (manual) and a KB(?) S/C'ed SGT (girlomatic) and prefers the twin screw for its instant gratification, though they are different trannies. I originally chose to go with the Paxton, but since that's not currently an option, I chose the KB (though no tears were shed). The SAI KB install gets you the Shelby badging but for me with the CS-6 hood, no strut brace. Not to further convolute the issue, but have you considered a turbo?

You can have the KB and a strut tower brace, (see Clark17357), not the stock brace but I believe it's from the V-6. If I'm not mistaken Swedeman has a Paxton S/C'ed SGT (manual) and a KB(?) S/C'ed SGT (girlomatic) and prefers the twin screw for its instant gratification, though they are different trannies. I originally chose to go with the Paxton, but since that's not currently an option, I chose the KB (though no tears were shed). The SAI KB install gets you the Shelby badging but for me with the CS-6 hood, no strut brace. Not to further convolute the issue, but have you considered a turbo?

I'm sure you're mistaken about old Swede. Regardless, the V6 brace will clear lots of different SC's, you're right, including the KB and the E-Force.

Ken

I would only do the whipple its a proven performer, its a ford racing product, it doesn't require headlight bucket modification, it does not require front fascia removal to change the air cleaner, it looks better imho, and the install kit is more complete ie plugs, gt500 fuel pumps. but as others have said brakes are going to have to be upgraded brembo is a good choice (gt500 takeoffs) the SGT susp is up to the task

I'd recommend upgrading your suspension, brakes, and tires, before installing an SC.

That way you can deliver your new found power to the ground safely and effectively, when the time comes.

As for brand, it depends on what you intend on doing with the car. If it's going to be a street only car or a weekend dragster, then any roots style would be best, IMO.

If you intend on tracking it often on a road course, go with a centrifugal (Paxton, ProCharger, Vortech). Good luck Louis!

Ken

I disagree, I recommend you go with the SC first...then you have forced yourself to do the rest of the stuff Ken mentioned.

I would only do the whipple its a proven performer, its a ford racing product, it doesn't require headlight bucket modification, it does not require front fascia removal to change the air cleaner, it looks better imho, and the install kit is more complete ie plugs, gt500 fuel pumps. but as others have said brakes are going to have to be upgraded brembo is a good choice (gt500 takeoffs) the SGT susp is up to the task

Does the Paxton require removal of the headlight assembly to change the air cleaner?

Whipple 550 was my only choice.

I agree with this that you really dont need to change the suspension on the SGT because it already is upgraded. The brakes and Tires are a must. I should be finally picking my car up today on this rainy Tuesday.

:hysterical:

+1. Ken read this to yourself a few times.... :hysterical:

Obviously I say the Whipple as that is what I have. As stated before, proven performance, reliable and a complete kit with a clean install. I debated the KB until I saw the hole that needed cutt for the filter and that set up. Just did not like that. I'm sure there are centrifugal units out there that are good but I want a screw unit with instant boost. What ever you decide I would decide wisely and trying test driving if possible because it's lots of $$$$ spent on what ever you get and you have to like it. :confused:

Ken

Truth right here...... I didn't even want to drive my car after the install of the Whipple.... I couldn't stop the thing!

Oh come on now with the brakes thing. I've never had an issue stopping my 550HP car. I suppose if you street race and get up on someones tail but just gettin in it out in the country and what not, I see no issue. If your not racing the car in what ever fashion, the car is set up nice already with suspension and all that and I would not waste my $$$$ on adding more that does nothing to increase speed from point A>>>B. :slapfight:

:hysterical:

+1. Ken read this to yourself a few times.... :hysterical:

Hey thanks for pointing that out RANDY! :hysterical:

Oh come on now with the brakes thing. I've never had an issue stopping my 550HP car. I suppose if you street race and get up on someones tail but just gettin in it out in the country and what not, I see no issue. If your not racing the car in what ever fashion, the car is set up nice already with suspension and all that and I would not waste my $$$$ on adding more that does nothing to increase speed from point A>>>B. :slapfight:

You've never ridden in a Griggs equipped car then. There's a 300HP GR40ST running around Infineon that eats M5's, Porsche's, and 550HP Mustangs alive.

Suspension, brakes, and tires are just as important as power and weight, IMO.

Ken

I disagree, I recommend you go with the SC first...then you have forced yourself to do the rest of the stuff Ken mentioned.

This is what I'm doing! I have the moohla now for the SC, I can do the brakes later, by myself even when the car is sitting over the winter!

I did not remove my front fascia to service my air cleaner. It was right under the front bumper, took about 3 minutes, Rick

Does the paxton require removal of the fascia to change the air filter?

I understand the KB blocks or covers the oil fill access.

Are there any lists of advantages and disadvantages of each system? I know some complain the KB filter may become wet if driven in the rain because it is mounted low. Any disadvantages to the whipple? Any disadvantages to the Paxton?

The oil filler is no problem, I really dont drive in the rain, But Iam sure other people have, I sure KB has researched this before they designed this filter, As I have said before, any supercharger you have is great, drive them and enjoy, Rick

By the name Infineon you obviously are talking about track racing not point a>>>b as I stated meaning 1/4 track. I specifically stated brakes not, suspension etc and never changed brakes on my Vette either with no issues stopping. I'm not racing in a gran prix and as a fact not racing my car at all just having fun in it, so no need to waste any $$$ on brakes, suspension etc. The only thing the SGT was missing when built in my opinion was a S/C. Now if I were race at the track I obviously would need tires, brakes etc to be competative and don't need massive HP to win. A good car set up and skilled driver usually wins at the track. So, unless someone that is adding a S/C to the SGT plans on racing it, I would not spend the dollars on brakes, suspension etc unless you have money to burn. Also comparing a highly modified car by Griggs to a BMW, Porsche or what ever is not a comparison unless we are providing the laundry list of suspension etc mods those cars had for a real side by side look. Any car can be modified to perform well and anyone can be beat at the track. I believe the initial post wanted to know about a S/C. :shift:

Hey thanks for pointing that out RANDY! :hysterical:

You've never ridden in a Griggs equipped car then. There's a 300HP GR40ST running around Infineon that eats M5's, Porsche's, and 550HP Mustangs alive.

Suspension, brakes, and tires are just as important as power and weight, IMO.

Ken

No way any 300hp car is whipping a Whipple car in the 1/4. By the name Infineon you obviously are talking about track racing not point a>>>b as I stated meaning 1/4 track. I specifically stated brakes not, suspension etc and never changed brakes on my Vette either with no issues stopping. I'm not racing in a gran prix and as a fact not racing my car at all just having fun in it, so no need to waste any $$$ on brakes, suspension etc. The only thing the SGT was missing when built in my opinion was a S/C. Now if I were race at the track I obviously would need tires, brakes etc to be competative and don't need massive HP to win. A good car set up and skilled driver usually wins at the track. So, unless someone that is adding a S/C to the SGT plans on racing it, I would not spend the dollars on brakes, suspension etc unless you have money to burn. Also comparing a highly modified car by Griggs to a BMW, Porsche or what ever is not a comparison unless we are providing the laundry list of suspension etc mods those cars had for a real side by side look. Any car can be modified to perform well and anyone can be beat at the track. :shift:

I'm here with you 100%. I've had my Whipple for almost a year now and have never had anything happen to me where I said "man I almost killed myself because my brakes weren't upgraded". The dang thing stops just fine. If your not tracking your car or 1/4 miling your car, I'm not, then the brakes would be nice to upgrade but are they mandatory. I think not. I'm sure that a Griggs suspended SGT will eat our stock SGTs for lunch but if your driving around on the roads of Tampa St Pete do you need a full up race suspension. No you don't. The power thing is way over exagerated. Trust me, it's got more power but it's not like you just sit and burn your tires up all day long. It's faster but it's not all that crazy. It's fun, fun, fun but after a few drives with the thing you are already thinking of ways to get more power.

Now back to subject. Get any SC you can. Have it installed by a good shop. SAI, if the registry thing is important. Whipple, KB, Paxton, Eforce and the list goes on, all have thier plusses and minused. Any one will do, just find the one that turns your gears and go for it. I'd drive any that you can. Find some folks in the area that will either let you drive theirs or take you for a ride. Most like to show off their SCs anyway. I drove a KB, and a Paxton and was driven in a Whipple. I went with the Whipple because it was a FRPP and I liked the twin screw power. The Paxton was great but it didn't have the immediate delivery I was looking for.

As you can tell from this and many other posts it's all up to you to decide. All the kits are complete, they are mostly priced the same and they all provide as much power as your willing to squeeze out of you motor. If you are lucky enough to have a track near by and want to do that then upgrade the suspension till your wallet is empty but don't let it drive your desire to get a SC. Good luck with your decision.

Don

I would agree that adding an improved brake system is never a bad idea.

The decision of an improved braking system should not be based on if you have a SC or not. It should be based on how you intend to drive your car. Even without an SC it may be wise to upgrade your braking system.

Lets back up and consider the function and purpose of a brake system. Simply put, they stop the car from motion (controlling inertia).

If you are considering daily driving and never intend to race your car for extended periods of time (which would possibly increase the temperatures of rotors) then there is no need for a brake upgrade.

However, if you do intend to put your car on the track you must then consider how well you want your brakes to function after they have heated up. If you do go to the track without a brake upgrade, make sure you give yourself plenty of time for the entire system to cool down properly before going out for the second run?

The decisions are yours. Just ask yourself if you want to stop before the next corner?

SC or not, how will you drive your car.

Archived