TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock GT Rear Spoiler - HOW EFFECTIVE IS IT?

socalwrench

I'm not sure how thoroughly this has been discussed or not. I did some searching and have come across very little information. It also seems that talking to various people in person, each has a slightly different opinion on how effective it is.

Lately, I have been following the Koni/Grand Am series Mustang race cars and noticed that they are running Steeda rear spoilers (originally they weren't allowed any at all). I have seen one car using a basic lip riveted to the trunk lid, but most are using the low profile pedestal mount made by Steeda. Without access to a wind tunnel, and a limited amount of time on the track- I am seeking advice here. I know that the GT500 spoiler is somewhat effective, but the Pony (V6) spoiler is basically for looks. This leads me to wonder how much the Ford designers and engineers are concerned with high speed aerodynamics.

So, how effective is the stock GT rear spoiler? Does it produce any downforce at all?

The stock Mustang GT spoiler does not provide downforce. The stock Mustang GT500 spoiler does not provide downforce.

Take a look at the spoilers in this link: http://www.mustangchallenge.com/ You will see that they all have some serious height. I saw (and, of course, cannot now find) a windtunnel photos that shows how high the air off the roof flows. That photo is consistent with the spoilers on the race Mustangs.

Jim

I am understanding what you're saying, but I would think that SOME air would flow down the entire back window. Also, I am confused, then, as the FR500C cars spoilers are well below the 10" mark. From that thread, SAI found that the Pony spoiler produced the most downforce?! Wow.

Here are a few pictures of the Steeda spoiler I am referring to. There is also a picture of the simple lip design, I believe before the Steeda spoilers were chosen for the racing class.

STEEDA low profile:

wesd_080919_0010.jpg

daytonakoni_032.jpg

LagunaWP625-1.jpg

fabricated lip:

05Cammer50-2.jpg

You mean when you're drafting? That is a LACK of air on the FRONT of your car, not the back. The air tends to come off of the back of the front vehicle and, instead of hitting the front of the second vehicle, goes over the top and back. This creates a low pressure area between the two cars and can actually cause both cars to gain a small increase in speed (since they are now more 'slippery' in the air stream). Sometimes this is compared to a vacuum (negative pressure) sucking up the second car. At the time you decide to pass the lead car, and stop drafting you will feel more turbulent air on the front of your car.

Basically, drafting takes air off the BACK of the lead car, and off of the FRONT of the second car.

Being a Koni Tech Official, I can tell you that some of the teams will run the Steeda spoiler at some tracks and not at others. This tells me that some down force is created, however greater drag is also created to some extent. They are usually used more at the higher speed tracks. You scared me when you said that you saw a Koni car with a lip spoiler, as those are not allowed. But I see in the picture above that this was the one that Ford/Multimatic was testing with a couple years ago. That was basically like a Gurney on the tail of a higher spoiler. That little lip spoiler did generate some down force, but at a higher speed than would be helpful. So there is air that does make it down to the trunk lid at certain speeds.

I CAN OFFER THIS INPUT ; ALL WINGS WORK TO SOME DEGREE OR ANOTHER .

BEFORE I HAD MY 08 SGT SUPER CHARGED MY CAR WAS

WINGLESS AND AT HIGHER SPEEDS FROM 90 - 139 MPH THE CARS TAIL WAS

NOT AS STABLE OR CONTROLED.

AFTER SAI ADDING THE WING; WHIPPLE 550 ; AT HIGHER SPEEDS THERE WAS A SIGNIFICANT

CHANGE IN THE BACK ENDS RIDE QUALITY AND STABILITY. AT HIGHER SPEEDS I TRAVELED

OVER EXPANSION JOINTS AND CHANGES IN THE ROAD AND THERE WAS LITTLE DEFLECTION

OR MOVEMENT IN THE REAR SUSPENSION. THE CAR SHOWED A DEFINATE CHANGE FOR

THE BETTER IN THE STABLITY AND ATTITUDE DO TO THE EXTRA DOWN FORCE ON

THESE EXTREMELY LIGHTLY WEIGHTED STANG TAILS.

THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND OR ANYBODY THAT WORKS IN RACING OR

WITH WINGED APPLICATIONS THAT THE TRUE DIFFERENCE IN DOWN FORCE IS DUE

TO THE SIZE , ANGLE AND HEIGHT OF THE WING IN CONCURENCE WITH THE

AERODYNAMICS OF THAT PARTICULAR CARS AIR FLOW.

SO TO ANSWER THE QUESTION THAT THIS THREAD IS BASED ON ; THE STOCK GT

SPOILER DOES PROVIDE DOWN FORCE AND IT WILL INCREASE IN POUNDS OF DOWN FORCE

PER SQUARE INCH AS YOUR CAR INCREASES IT'S SPEED.

SCOTTY

(P.S.)

IF I RECALL CORRECTLY THE MUSTANG GT REAR WING CAN GENERATE AS MUCH AS

60 - 70 POUNDS OF DOWN FORCE AT SPEED. THE WING DOES WORK.

I'm glad you chimed in Scotty, as I know you actually had SAI install a GT spoiler because you needed downforce.

I'd be curious which tracks the Koni cars used the Steeda spoiler. This way I could figure out what the speeds were.

I wish there was a good answer, but the set up depends completely on the driver and team. There are some teams that never run the spoiler. There are some that always use it. Set up for each individual car and driver is different. We do tend to see more use at Daytona, Barber, etc. You actually see some of the teams use it at Lime Rock which is probably one of the lowest speed tracks. I'll see if I can get more answers at a later date when I'm at the next race and ask some questions of some teams. Some have the funds to do wind tunnel testing, but most is by experience in set ups over the years.

Archived