TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New GT350 to Debut Next April @ NY Auto Show?

Can 350hp 4.6 GT-350 compete with a close too 400hp 5.0 mustang at $10,000 less? This thing could be a bigger flop than the Shelby GT.

What makes you think it'll be 350 HP? The original GT350 wasn't 350 HP.

And 'a bigger flop than the Shelby GT'?

You're on the wrong forum to bash the SGT, IMO. Most of us here think pretty highly of the cars we invested in.

Ken

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A modern day GT350 would have to have:

- a glue handling, slot car racing suspension.

- brakes that are so awesome, the brain rocks against the skull when applied.

- nothing on the vehicle that adds weight, but serves no other function.

- just the "right" amount of horsepower. . .nothing friggin crazy. . .just balanced and smooth.

- a free T-shirt should come with every car that says "Put your ass in something fast" screened on it.

- just the "right" amount of horsepower. . .nothing friggin crazy. . .just balanced and smooth.

- a free T-shirt should come with every car that says "Put your ass in something fast" screened on it.

:hysterical:

Put me on the list, but only if the T-shirt is a 100% go.

Can 350hp 4.6 GT-350 compete with a close too 400hp 5.0 mustang at $10,000 less? This thing could be a bigger flop than the Shelby GT.

What makes you think it'll be 350 HP? The original GT350 wasn't 350 HP.

And 'a bigger flop than the Shelby GT'?

You're on the wrong forum to bash the SGT, IMO. Most of us here think pretty highly of the cars we invested in.

Ken

I think the point 94gt was trying to make was not to bash the SGT but to point out how the SGTs sold compared to their bigger brother the GT500. It's not exactly like the SGTs were flying off the lots. In fact, I know many dealerships were discounting the SGTs and at the end you could get them for a few thousand more than a regular GT. And I agree with his statement, the car needs to sell well and at 350hp it is going to be a tough sell when the base GTs will be coming with a 400hp+ 5.0 engine. Then there's the talk of a Boss Mustang on the horizon...

By the way, I originally had ordered an SGT through the military car sales program (a 2008 model). With all the discounts it was going to be 39K. Then I got back to CONUS and found a new 2008 GT500 for 43K. Guess which one I bought?

A Purebreed track car................HHHMMMMMM I hope we get to see something like this in Tulsa

Folks,

If you look at the SAI business model, Shelby history, and likely Ford product plan,

it's pretty easy to see why the TT V6 makes sense for the GT350.

1. Based on the competition, I think we can project a NA V6 for the rental fleet,

the TT V6 for the main stream offer (and CAFE helper), and the Coyote V8 for

the GT. See how that stacks against the Camaro/Challenger.

2. "Shelby" does not stand for V8; it stands for performance accessible to many.

Others have already given examples in this thread: GLHS, CS6, Terlingua. Shelby

has been quoted many times that his favorite car is the next one he builds. So it's

safe to drop all the GT350 must have a V8 arguments, because they are clearly

not looking to the past on this one.

3. Perhaps the biggest bottom line is making money. SAI is not going to compete

with Ford on high end offerings based on the Coyote V8 like the Boss, Mach, etc. They

are also not going to go exotic and do engine swaps. As in the past, they will go into

the Ford parts bin and cobble together a great handling/power package that will

outperform the GT. This is especially true if they want to support their Mod Shops.

The TT V6 suits this purpose quite well as anyone can tell you who has done an

ECU swap on other makes of turbo cars. It is not hard to envision such a GT350

priced perhaps a little higher than a fully loaded GT, but worlds apart when driven

at a strip or track.

My 2 cents...

-Tom

Folks,

If you look at the SAI business model, Shelby history, and likely Ford product plan,

it's pretty easy to see why the TT V6 makes sense for the GT350.

1. Based on the competition, I think we can project a NA V6 for the rental fleet,

the TT V6 for the main stream offer (and CAFE helper), and the Coyote V8 for

the GT. See how that stacks against the Camaro/Challenger.

2. "Shelby" does not stand for V8; it stands for performance accessible to many.

Others have already given examples in this thread: GLHS, CS6, Terlingua. Shelby

has been quoted many times that his favorite car is the next one he builds. So it's

safe to drop all the GT350 must have a V8 arguments, because they are clearly

not looking to the past on this one.

3. Perhaps the biggest bottom line is making money. SAI is not going to compete

with Ford on high end offerings based on the Coyote V8 like the Boss, Mach, etc. They

are also not going to go exotic and do engine swaps. As in the past, they will go into

the Ford parts bin and cobble together a great handling/power package that will

outperform the GT. This is especially true if they want to support their Mod Shops.

The TT V6 suits this purpose quite well as anyone can tell you who has done an

ECU swap on other makes of turbo cars. It is not hard to envision such a GT350

priced perhaps a little higher than a fully loaded GT, but worlds apart when driven

at a strip or track.

My 2 cents...

-Tom

+1 on all our points. There is a lot of "hidden" power that you can easily uncover with turbo cars with a simple ECU change. I wouldn't be surprised that the Eco Boost V6 could bring another 50 to 75 hp and a lot of torque with a simple ECU swap.

I think the point 94gt was trying to make was not to bash the SGT but to point out how the SGTs sold compared to their bigger brother the GT500. It's not exactly like the SGTs were flying off the lots. In fact, I know many dealerships were discounting the SGTs and at the end you could get them for a few thousand more than a regular GT. And I agree with his statement, the car needs to sell well and at 350hp it is going to be a tough sell when the base GTs will be coming with a 400hp+ 5.0 engine. Then there's the talk of a Boss Mustang on the horizon...

By the way, I originally had ordered an SGT through the military car sales program (a 2008 model). With all the discounts it was going to be 39K. Then I got back to CONUS and found a new 2008 GT500 for 43K. Guess which one I bought?

If I had all of your money, I'd throw mine away!!!

Well, this is one thing Robert & I have always felt would be 'the real deal'. Couldn't agree more, Mongo! Especially on the T-Shirt, I want one already (the t-shirt) :hysterical:

Ken, I don't know but it sure does look like a crate version of the 4.6 with the hot rod cams + ported heads = 350hp

I just think the Shelby V6 area is a little crowded with the wicked bunny and the supercharged CS6. Are not these cars 375hp?

Erich

I didn't realize it had ported heads?

I see what you're saying about the V6 options, but a TT eco-boost doesn't sound like the typical 4.0L!

I didn't realize it had ported heads?

I see what you're saying about the V6 options, but a TT eco-boost doesn't sound like the typical 4.0L!

i mistook the 5.4l as a big block like the vintage 500's because I guess I read something in 2006 describing the new 500's as having "big bock power".

The car is gonna be radical nonetheless!

I think that whatever CS puts out will be an awsome product. I personally just hope they dont use the GT350 name...I think if they were going to use that name they should of used it on the SGT....to be REAL honest, I dont want them to put out anymore Factory modified models, this way our cars can be even more unique. With so many GT500 out there on dealerships, most people already think that our cars ar plane modified Mustangs

I think that whatever CS puts out will be an awsome product. I personally just hope they dont use the GT350 name...I think if they were going to use that name they should of used it on the SGT....to be REAL honest, I dont want them to put out anymore Factory modified models, this way our cars can be even more unique. With so many GT500 out there on dealerships, most people already think that our cars ar plane modified Mustangs

Or you could simply trade in your car for something better SAI comes out with...rather than hope you already own the best and car manufacturers can just close the doors...but that is probably a crazy suggestion...I know.

GT350 a v6, dumb, should call it a GT356. A 2010 model styling and a v6, 2 strikes already. :headscratch::cry:

i agree..a stupid decision on shelby's part..any V6 in the gt350 and i will buy a tojo import...whats next...diesels?

ps: 2010 styling i like...a V6?...NO THANKS

• 1 month later...
Don't worry - everyone here at Shelby knows what the GT350 was.

And we are as eager to see one like everybody else.

Shelby isn't just going to shove a GT350 out of the door without it being done right. . .

I like what you said Robert. I live here on Long Island and I always go to the show at the Javits Center.

If Shelby brings the car to the show, I will absolutly take a lot of pictures of the car. V6 or V8. :camera:

I don't care what engine they use. As long as it has a lot of power.

Just look at the Terlingua Mustang. That's a V6 and has 375 HP from a Vortec supercharger.

:cry: I know the V-6 can make a lot of power but it is still a V-6. The sound of a V-8 is half the fun of having a performance car. Remember a few years ago when NASCAR experimented with the V-6 in the Busch series? Cars were fast and light, but sounded like a bunch of bumble bees coming down the track. At the 12 Hours of Sebring, the Audi turbo diesels are fast, but are so smooth and quiet they almost sound like a street car. The Vintage races held at various tracks around the country attracts a wide assortment of race cars, but it's the V-8 powered cars (the old TransAm cars) that brings people to their feet. Unfortunately the V-8 has to die but it should go down kicking. :shift:

Does any one have an opinion on pricing for this new shelby im guessing around 40k since the GT500 coupe is around 48k hope its priced right . Hope the dealers wont start trying to add adm,s again since it will be a new model. They may try when they first come out but in this economy the mark ups wont last long if they want them to sell.

Does any one have an opinion on pricing for this new shelby im guessing around 40k since the GT500 coupe is around 48k hope its priced right . Hope the dealers wont start trying to add adm,s again since it will be a new model. They may try when they first come out but in this economy the mark ups wont last long if they want them to sell.

I bet it'll be pretty close to the MSRP of a GT500. With a CSM, limited production, and well done mods, plenty of people (me included) would pick a GT350 over a GT500 any day, even if the pricing wasn't far off from one another.

Ken

My GT350 prediction -

2011 Mustang GT based

400HP "Coyote" 4 cam 4V naturally aspirated alum 5.0

FR3 suspension

M5320s exhaust

Hurst

525 in white with blue stripes

525 each in Torch, Kona, and Highland green, all with white stripes

Huge demand, limited supply.

Built by SAI in Nevada

MSRP - $46K

I hope you're right Michael! :lurk:

Although, I think they may borrow from the SR suspension catalog pretty heavily, personally. We'll see.

Ken

It would be great to see more Shelby's running around but with the economy its anyones guess if it's going to happen.

No spy photos ain't a good sign

My GT350 prediction -

2011 Mustang GT based

400HP "Coyote" 4 cam 4V naturally aspirated alum 5.0

FR3 suspension

M5320s exhaust

Hurst

525 in white with blue stripes

525 each in Torch, Kona, and Highland green, all with white stripes

Huge demand, limited supply.

Built by SAI in Nevada

MSRP - $46K

Now this is a nice choice

I like what you said Robert. I live here on Long Island and I always go to the show at the Javits Center.

If Shelby brings the car to the show, I will absolutly take a lot of pictures of the car. V6 or V8. :camera:

I don't care what engine they use. As long as it has a lot of power.

Just look at the Terlingua Mustang. That's a V6 and has 375 HP from a Vortec supercharger.

+1

I'm a fairly patient man and I was very upset when I had to sell my shelby. If a GT350 is in the works it will for sure be my next purchase. Starting to work overtime now to save up a good chunk :happy feet: :happy feet:

Archived