TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone think the tires are too narrow for thier rims?

It seems like the tread on the front tires on my 2009 GT500 are too narrow for the rims and they are wearing on the outside of the tread; has anyone else noticed this?

I only have 3000 miles on my car, but the tires seem to be wearing funny in the front.

It seems like the front tread needs to be 20 mm wider on the front at least to fit the rim, but would that create rubbing problems on the front end?

-Tom

Generally, irregular tire wear like you're describing, is from an alignment problem. The factory tires fit fine on the factory rims.

If both the inner and outer edges of the tires are wearing faster than the middle, you need more pressure in the tires.

Generally, irregular tire wear like you're describing, is from an alignment problem. The factory tires fit fine on the factory rims.

If both the inner and outer edges of the tires are wearing faster than the middle, you need more pressure in the tires.

It might be an optical illusion, but it seems like the front rims are actually wider than the tire...must be a bear to get the bead to set.

I'll verify my tire pressures though.

-Tom

It seems like the tires on my 2009 GT500 are too narrow for the rims and they are wearing on the outside of the tires; has anyone else noticed this?

I only have 3000 miles on my car, but the tires are wearing funny especially the front.

It seems like the front tire needs to be 20 mm wider on the front at least to fit the rim, but would that create rubbing problems on the front end?

-Tom

Slide your hand across the face of the tread from inside to outside...if you feel feathering it is toed in too much. If the wear is on both the inner and outer side of the same tire that is generally caused by tire pressure like stated above but for it to be low enough to wear, the tire warning system should have went off on your dash.

"Spirited" driving around corners seems to cause tire wear issues similar to what you have described. After approximately 60 miles of road course driving, we had noticeable wear on the inner and outer edges of both front tires. If your tires have not been put through the corners, then air pressure, and alignment could be the culprits. Another factor is if you have had your car lowered, there can be alignment issues which may add to the problem.

Slide your hand across the face of the tread from inside to outside...if you feel feathering it is toed in too much. If the wear is on both the inner and outer side of the same tire that is generally caused by tire pressure like stated above but for it to be low enough to wear, the tire warning system should have went off on your dash.

Tire pressure seems OK. But the wear is on both the inside and outside... I guess I'll have my alignment checked. Could it be camber while turning?

Does anyone have any experience with a little wider tires on the front, say 265/45 instead of 255/45? Or maybe 275/45?

-Tom

Archived