TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Royal Purple

A very high quality product and the only brand of oil that I run in all my cars. Like Stangcrazy says, ONLY use the XPR level of Purple because it has the same viscosity requirements as the original weight oil that FoMoCo requires for the car; that comes directly from Royal Purple.

Regular Royal Purple 10/40 does not have the same viscosity as the 10/40 XPR does.

Again, I am not trying to say anything good or bad about RP. And re Mobil 1 apparently Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol and others are saying their oils have less wear than Mobil 1. Apparently in the standardized testing Mobil 1 has not been doing well on the wear tests. Mobil 1 failed the industry standard wear test Standar IVA.

http://www.jobbersworld.com/March%2020,%202009.htm

Valvoline advertises their synpower has 4 x less wear than mobil one, Castrol claims 8x less wear. Mobil 1 is apparently not contesting the claims.

I have been using amsoil but have an interest in the Castrol Edge.

Concur. A real industry standard. Apparently the IVA standard uses an old Nissan engine that is about 25 years old. They measure the wear on the cam surfaces as part of the testing. But then other oils use their own tests. I think they formulate the oils to pass a certain test and not much more. I would also like to see a standard test for oil filters including multi pass efficieny and micron size.

Slick 50 might be o-k but it is just another feel-good product. With the high-quality oils we have today i see no reason to add any additive to a quality oil, especially synthetics. I live just down the road from where royal purple is made but mobil-1 has been around a long time and is recommended by G.M .for corvettes and Chrysler for vipers so i'll just stick with what i have. Besides, as has been brought out before, Royal Purple is kind of pricey but i only change my oil once a year. These are 200,000 mile engines if you take good care of them and do the proper maintenance .Most people who own these cars are pretty fanatical about there Shelbys so they should last for many many years.

I'm running it in the Shelby but this is not the first negative I've seen about there product. I may return to Mobil 1 next round btw Costco carries Mobil 1 so you know its good :)

This isn't really a negative about the RP product. It is making two points each of which are attacking marketing and NOT identifying anything negative about the RP product itself:

1. The article in essence is mostly saying that car owner testimonials mean or prove absolutely nothing scientifically about a product's quality.

2. The statistical comparative results of certain tests of RP against other oil brands are NOT statistically relevant in terms of their quantitative differences and therefore are not good for making certain marketing claims.

No one here should even consider that the article is downing the RP product because it just plain isn't.

This isn't really a negative about the RP product. It is making two points each of which are attacking marketing and NOT identifying anything negative about the RP product itself:

1. The article in essence is mostly saying that car owner testimonials mean or prove absolutely nothing scientifically about a product's quality.

2. The statistical comparative results of certain tests of RP against other oil brands are NOT statistically relevant in terms of their quantitative differences and therefore are not good for making certain marketing claims.

No one here should even consider that the article is downing the RP product because it just plain isn't.

For me it is just reinforcing my belief that the oils are statistically very close and the rest is just hype to sell product. Can't remember who did the test years ago popular machanics popular science something like that. They ran all the oils in NY taxi cabs for a combined million plus miles and then tore the motors down and miked everthing and found very little difference. The conclusion was buy a decent oil and you are good to go, all that are claiming otherwise are full of pooh...

For me it is just reinforcing my belief that the oils are statistically very close and the rest is just hype to sell product. Can't remember who did the test years ago popular machanics popular science something like that. They ran all the oils in NY taxi cabs for a combined million plus miles and then tore the motors down and miked everthing and found very little difference. The conclusion was buy a decent oil and you are good to go, all that are claiming otherwise are full of pooh...

Agree, there are to many feel good oils out there not counting the additives.If you maintence regularly and use the factory reccomended weight then you shouldn't have any problem

Consumer Reports did this test, they ran the hell out of NYC taxis, changing oil only every 12,000 miles. They found engine wear to be miniscule and differences in brands nearly indiscernible. They basically said that changing oil every 3,000 miles is wasteful.

I bought a case of Royal Purple 5W30 recently as it was discounted for a whole case (basically 2 qts free) and plan on using it on my next oil change. Not sure if isthe XPR version or not.

Don

Can we use 5w30 in are cars with no problems ?????

You shouldn't have any problems but the close tolerences of these engines allow for the 5w20 grade oil. The thinner the oil the better the circulation through out the engines. I have more tendency to use the factory grade oil than the recommended interval.If you are using an synthetic or synthetic blend oil then you could easily change your oil every 5 or 6000 miles with no problem. I usually have about 3000 miles on my oil change but it takes me a year to drive that much so i'm usually changing oil because of the age of the oil. One thing about Shelby owners is they seem to do plenty of maintenance on there vehicles whether they need it or not, and that's a good thing.

Can we use 5w30 in are cars with no problems ?????

Yes, I believe SAI actually recommends the 5W30

The Ford manual says to use 5W20 but if I remember correctly SAI said to use 5W30 because they thought the SGT would be driven harder than a stock mustang

RP is great, I've used it for years.

If you are using an synthetic or synthetic blend oil then you could easily change your oil every 5 or 6000 miles with no problem.

Having been working on my own cars for 40 years and seeing all the changes that have occurred in the car and oil industry over the last 40 years, let me please say this....

Even with non-synthetic oil, the oil change interval can be 5000 miles. Prior to the mid 1980's the accepted interval for oil change for a car was 5000 to 6000 miles. Right around that decade when EFI came about (1986), the CAR industry took on a marketing strategy to change the consumer's perception about the oil change interval. The payoff was phenominal to change the public's perception as it would instantly double the revenue generated from the car dealer maintenance of the consumer's car in regards to "regular maintenance" and also double the reveneue of the oil manufacturers in regards to oil usage. The strategy was plain and simple - cut the "oil change interval" in half by now requiring that oil changes be done every 3000 miles instead of every 5000 to 6000 miles.

In the life of a car, assuming a 100,000 mile average car-live before the consumer sells it or trades it off the number of oil changes the consumer would have paid for in the life of the car went from 20 oil changes per car-life to 40 oil changes per car-life. You can do the math as to the windfall of revenue for the dealers and oil refineries at the expense of the consumer. And the consumer bought right into the perception lock, stock and barrel.

I have a Nissan master mechanic living next door to me and had a Ford master mechanic living across the street from me..and they have both talked about this "3000 mile oil change interval myth" that has been perpetuated upon the public.

I usually have about 3000 miles on my oil change but it takes me a year to drive that much so i'm usually changing oil because of the age of the oil.

Wow...I put 3000 miles on my car in a month!!

Having been working on my own cars for 40 years and seeing all the changes that have occurred in the car and oil industry over the last 40 years, let me please say this....

Even with non-synthetic oil, the oil change interval can be 5000 miles. Prior to the mid 1980's the accepted interval for oil change for a car was 5000 to 6000 miles. Right around that decade when EFI came about (1986), the CAR industry took on a marketing strategy to change the consumer's perception about the oil change interval. The payoff was phenominal to change the public's perception as it would instantly double the revenue generated from the car dealer maintenance of the consumer's car in regards to "regular maintenance" and also double the reveneue of the oil manufacturers in regards to oil usage. The strategy was plain and simple - cut the "oil change interval" in half by now requiring that oil changes be done every 3000 miles instead of every 5000 to 6000 miles.

In the life of a car, assuming a 100,000 mile average car-live before the consumer sells it or trades it off the number of oil changes the consumer would have paid for in the life of the car went from 20 oil changes per car-life to 40 oil changes per car-life. You can do the math as to the windfall of revenue for the dealers and oil refineries at the expense of the consumer. And the consumer bought right into the perception lock, stock and barrel.

I have a Nissan master mechanic living next door to me and had a Ford master mechanic living across the street from me..and they have both talked about this "3000 mile oil change interval myth" that has been perpetuated upon the public.

I have to laugh everytime one of these oil threads get started, it seem very few things ignite controversy on a site like this more then oil and changing intervals. People seem to adopt brands, products and change intervals like a religion. The marketing boys should be very proud on this one lol I think I read that in europe the recommended change interval is 6k.

I do not use Royal Purple. I do not know if it is a good or average oil. But I did read an article on a Corvette forum recently.

http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/mod_print_...amp;uid=bdgDHkp

I've used Royal Purple in all my Mustangs, my truck, and my Van with many and many miles on them with ZERO problems!

Archived