TEAM SHELBY FORUM

deactivating the 155mph limiter

burnedgt500

:shift::shift: My wife asked me last night what I wanted for Christmas and I told her I would like to take my Shelby around Atlanta Motor Speedway. She told me that she would look into getting that for me. I have been told that you can do it with your personal vehicle how ever I do not know what the rules and regulations are.

So here is my question, how do I turn off or do away with the 155 mph limiter that is on all Shelby's. I think you would agree that if you had the chance to push yours to 180+MPH you all would like to do so on this 1-1/2mile oval. It seems to be the safest possible way to limit the shelby out with out redlining this sweet jewel of a car.

So if anyone out ther can tell me I would greatly appreciate the information. :shift: :happy feet:

:shift::shift: My wife asked me last night what I wanted for Christmas and I told her I would like to take my Shelby around Atlanta Motor Speedway. She told me that she would look into getting that for me. I have been told that you can do it with your personal vehicle how ever I do not know what the rules and regulations are.

So here is my question, how do I turn off or do away with the 155 mph limiter that is on all Shelby's. I think you would agree that if you had the chance to push yours to 180+MPH you all wouldlike to do so on this 2-1/2mile oval. It seems to be the safest possible way to limit the shelby out with out redlining this sweet jewel of a car.

So if anyone out ther can tell me I would greatly appreciate the information. :shift: :happy feet:

Get a tune, SCT, Diablo, etc... And then while your at it buy the JLT CAI, and maybe a pulley swap.

One word of caution the hood on these bad boys vibrate unbelieveable...I think evil Chris had a way to control that or at least someone did.

Good luck with the request..and if you get it...I'd be more than happy to bring my Shelby to keep you company as you go around!!

Cheers,

Requis

So here is my question, how do I turn off or do away with the 155 mph limiter that is on all Shelby's. I think you would agree that if you had the chance to push yours to 180+MPH you all wouldlike to do so on this 2-1/2mile oval. It seems to be the safest possible way to limit the shelby out with out redlining this sweet jewel of a car.

Theres no doubt in a Racing Stock car, set up for the track in question that you may hit 180MPH. However that would be on the edge for a novice even in a Nascar set up. I have friends who have seen 165 there in the Buck Baker Drivng School, great exprience by the way. I think you'll find 150 to be fulfilling and exhilerating. I wouldn't want to run that baby into the fence. :doh:

I have already hit 145mph one early sunday morning with very very little traffic. I barley got a little over half way through 5th gear and the car just still wanted to go. I would love to see just what I can do in a safer enviroment. I had a big fear of a dear jumping out in front of me on the expressway. i think the car would do very well on a oval but I may be mistaking and I would like to just see. It would be an experience of a life time. Im not even a big NASCAR fan but I think this would just be one hell of a ride.

I have already hit 145mph one early sunday morning with very very little traffic. I barley got a little over half way through 5th gear and the car just still wanted to go. I would love to see just what I can do in a safer enviroment. I had a big fear of a dear jumping out in front of me on the expressway. i think the car would do very well on a oval but I may be mistaking and I would like to just see. It would be an experience of a life time. Im not even a big NASCAR fan but I think this would just be one hell of a ride.

Keep us posted. :happy feet:

Not a good idea, IMHO.

Get a passenger. Get someone to drive ahead with a cell phone.

Find an Interstate free and clear of traffic - without woods where a deer, etc, can run out from.

Let your blocker car run up ahead a couple of miles.

Go for it.

Don't risk a tire failure at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Wear some Depends underwear. :hysterical2:

Edit - Stangsunleashed and Rufstang Designs does not condone driving over the posted speed limits.

This post is fictional and should not be taken seriously.

Based on a true story.

Coming soon on the Fox Network.

I don't believe you'll be able to hit 180 (provided the car has that speed in it) on a 1 1/2 mile oval. Your exit speeds are not high enough and the straights are not long enough. Frankly I'd be surprised if you even hit the 155 governed speed. You need a super speedway with longer straights like Daytona or Talladega. Road Atlanta has a pretty long straight but again >150 would be tough.

I like Ruf's idea. Find a long straight deserted road and go for it with someone running your front door.

Not that I would ever do such a thing... :stop:

I don't believe you'll be able to hit 180 (provided the car has that speed in it) on a 1 1/2 mile oval. Your exit speeds are not high enough and the straights are not long enough. Frankly I'd be surprised if you even hit the 155 governed speed. You need a super speedway with longer straights like Daytona or Talladega. Road Atlanta has a pretty long straight but again >150 would be tough.

I like Ruf's idea. Find a long straight deserted road and go for it with someone running your front door.

Not that I would ever do such a thing... :stop:

Exactly my point in post #3

So here is my question, how do I turn off or do away with the 155 mph limiter that is on all Shelby's. I think you would agree that if you had the chance to push yours to 180+MPH you all would like to do so on this 1-1/2mile oval. It seems to be the safest possible way to limit the shelby out with out redlining this sweet jewel of a car.

just about all tunes deactivate the top speed limiter.

If you get to top speed on a short track... you will meet with the wall.....

be safe and have fun!.... don't forget to post pics!

If you've never driven on a banked oval at those speeds before.... well, you don't want to get there your first time out. Much over 130 - 150 (depending on the track), and you have to really start watching your exit speeds on the turns, and know your braking pattern going into them. It's something you work up to as you get used to it. Something like the Buck Baker driving school to get you situated in it correctly is a great idea.

It's far different then 150 on a straight line on some open highway, and you've got a nice cement wall to catch you if you make a mistake.

If you do get track time, work up to it, and have fun!

- Tony

humm what sounds like a fun ideal , sometimes ends in disaster . i do not belive the stock suspension would like the turns of a banked track.i also don't think they allow you to drive your street car that fast. to much liabiltys.

How about a local air show? Try to contact the event coordinator and offer to race a plane! An 8000 ft. runway is plenty of space to hit 200 and slow back down. I may not go to an air show but I would go to watch a Shelby race a plane. :happy feet:

Just a thought....

:stop: Check your tires! :stop:

I believe the tires are only rated to 155 mph, which is why the factory tune won't let you past that speed. :idea:

You would be in a world of hurt if you shredded a tire at 180 mph.... :cry:

These tires are Z rated (above 186 MPH / 300 KPH per Goodyear.com) and should be fine under normal high speed conditions.

My top speed limiter has been removed with the tune that I got from Justin at VMP tuning and I had my car up to 155 the other day but it got a little scary as the car started to feel like it was floating and I had a slight cross-wind which didn't help matters.....

I guess after getting used to it a person might push it further and further but it just didn't feel real solid in the wind and the hood seemed like it was about to fly open so I backed off but the car still had alot more speed left in it as I was only in 5th gear .....

I don't really trust the hood latch on the car, just seems a weak point at high speeds especially with a head/cross wind. Sure was fun though!!

These tires are Z rated (above 186 MPH / 300 KPH per Goodyear.com) and should be fine under normal high speed conditions.

My top speed limiter has been removed with the tune that I got from Justin at VMP tuning and I had my car up to 155 the other day but it got a little scary as the car started to feel like it was floating and I had a slight cross-wind which didn't help matters.....

I guess after getting used to it a person might push it further and further but it just didn't feel real solid in the wind and the hood seemed like it was about to fly open so I backed off but the car still had alot more speed left in it as I was only in 5th gear .....

I don't really trust the hood latch on the car, just seems a weak point at high speeds especially with a head/cross wind. Sure was fun though!!

Thanks for the info.

So, why is the speed limiter set for 155 mph?

Any guesses?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_(device)

Many performance cars are limited to a speed of 250 km/h (155 mph) to limit insurance costs of the vehicle.

It's a normal value, not unique to the GT500.

A bit more info about it being a "gentleman's agreement" to avoid government regulation (and a few companies thinking of ditching it) here: http://www.autoblog.com/2005/07/14/manufac...155-mph-limits/

- Tony

Interesting stuff. Thanks guys. :rockon:

I thought of the liability angle of course, but I wasn't buying it. If it was a pure liability issue, they would limit it to a much lower speed, I would think. You can kill yourself pretty easily at 150 mph. :rip:

I wondered if it had to do with a certain part of the car not being safe above 155 mph (hence my incorrect thought about the tires). The post about the "Gentlemen's Agreement" is perhaps the reason.

Any other ideas? :idea:

Everything I'm finding says it came from Europe, which makes sense, because it's 250km/h, and is just a general agreement to limit there. Quite a few companies don't follow it.

Another example article here (not too far in to the Q & A): http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20040924002/tscript.htm

And more here (with pretty decent details of the companies that started it):

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg...d=0#msg_1724075

- Tony

Archived