TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Cobra Jet

gamera291

What can the Jet do that the GT500 can't do, being the GT500 is 65 horses greater. No sure about axle's (9" on Jet?).

I'm not sure it's about GT500 vs. Cobra Jet, especially since there will only be about 50 built. Still, the CJ is meant to be a completely different animal. It's basically a stripped down, lightweight (about 3,300 lbs.) version of the Mustang, equipped with a killer 5.4l engine and set up just for drag racing. Don't be fooled by the HP numbers though... Ford has to "de-tune" the CJ to meet specifications needed for NHRA's AA Stock class, but the motor is probably making closer to 650.

The real benefit here, is the development of new parts for the CJ that are now available from Ford Racing. The billet throttle body, larger mass air, as well as a number of drag race specific pieces directly from Ford (9" rear, one-piece drive shaft, anti-roll bar, etc.) You can even buy the whole CJ engine if you'd like.

Here is a list of Cobra Jet Parts so far.

I'm just glad to see that Ford is still thinking about the hard-core race enthusiasts but making cool cars and parts available :lurk:

I'm not sure it's about GT500 vs. Cobra Jet, especially since there will only be about 50 built. Still, the CJ is meant to be a completely different animal. It's basically a stripped down, lightweight (about 3,300 lbs.) version of the Mustang, equipped with a killer 5.4l engine and set up just for drag racing. Don't be fooled by the HP numbers though... Ford has to "de-tune" the CJ to meet specifications needed for NHRA's AA Stock class, but the motor is probably making closer to 650.

The real benefit here, is the development of new parts for the CJ that are now available from Ford Racing. The billet throttle body, larger mass air, as well as a number of drag race specific pieces directly from Ford (9" rear, one-piece drive shaft, anti-roll bar, etc.) You can even buy the whole CJ engine if you'd like.

Here is a list of Cobra Jet Parts so far.

I'm just glad to see that Ford is still thinking about the hard-core race enthusiasts but making cool cars and parts available :lurk:

Thanks for the explanation. This will be useful for other noobs other than myself who are learning about a Mustang for the first time!

• 7 months later...

Archived