TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will Las Vegas survive?

Just looked at the water levels of Lake Meade

http://www.arachnoid.com/NaturalResources/

From what I recall, this is where Las Vegas gets there water. I know for the past few years it's been pretty desperate around there for water. I was just wondering if someone in the area could chime in and tell us what you are hearing in the area. Can you make it in the desert without water? Is the water coming from someplace else?

There is an on going issue here in Utah with Nevada. West of Delta, Utah, near Great Basin National Monument is a large under ground aquifer that straddles the Utah-Nevada border. It is several hundred miles north of Las Vegas.

The ranches out on our west desert rely on this water to raise cattle, sheep and hay. It also provides the well water for the ranchers. Nevada wants to drill wells on their side of the border and pipe this water to Vegas. It is said the Utah ranchers would suffer because they need this water for their livelyhood. I don't think the issue has been resolved.

I understood that Las Vegas has new guidelines limiting water features at the hotels that is supposed to cut back on the water demand. The problem is they need new housing for the workers in the new hotels. Part of the housing issue is the water for them. it seem like a catch 22. :headscratch:

I believe Bush signed a pact with the Great Lake states that water won't be piped in or diverted to Nevada. You can't drain the Great Lakes to support life in a DESERT.

There are several bays in the Lake Meade region that are totally dry - gone - back to desert.

At the risk of sounding indifferent - I don't really care a whit about Vegas. If the strip shut down - it wouldn't bother me at all. :lurk:

:worm:

I hope that we survive. I was not that thrilled with moving to Vegas to begin with but now that I have lived here a while I have come to see the beauty of NV. There is more to NV than just the strip. To me it is a small part of what makes this place so great. I can be in the sun or in the snow in under 45 minute drive. I can be in the desert or the mountains depending on what I want to do. I love the mountains in NV.

I thought I might miss the winter but coming from MI I did not even once miss getting up at 3am and scraping off my frozen car. It gets cold here. We had three inches of snow this year and up until the last 4 weeks or so never got about 70 and 40's at night. This is perfect for me. The only thing I do not like is the bugs there are some really weird bugs here that Mi did not have. Plus it does not matter what day it is, or what time of day it is ,I can find something to do or see a show.

There is talk of that right know...Having it piped from Canada.

Im not knowledgable on how we get fresh water other then I know Im on a well and thats how I get mine (after I turn on the faucet), but why cant they just pipe it from the Pacific and build a purifying plant there to purify they water so it can be used. Seems like a lot shorter distance.

Im not knowledgable on how we get fresh water other then I know Im on a well and thats how I get mine (after I turn on the faucet), but why cant they just pipe it from the Pacific and build a purifying plant there to purify they water so it can be used. Seems like a lot shorter distance.

Ask Saudi Arabia. :spend::spend::spend:

Archived