TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Steeda billet charge motion plate install

Well, I had a slow day at work again, so I decided to throw these Steeda IMRC delete plates into my SGT. They've been collecting dust for a couple of months.

Doug at Bamachips emailed an updated tune to me for free, to take the new plates into account. The whole job took me about 3 hours. It required only a few basic tools, but you'll definitely need a Torx ratchet kit. For anyone that doesn't know, these new plates have larger ports than the OEM plates. Also, they don't have butterfly valves like the OEM plates have.

On a side note, if the pics of the OEM plates' butterfly valves don't convince a lot of people that an air/oil separator is necessary in an NA engine, I'm not sure what will! :finger:

Ken

(I'm not doing a step by step of this install right now. I'm pretty tired at the moment. But if anyone wants a complete DIY, I'll type one out.)

DSC06174.jpg

DSC06177.jpg

DSC06179.jpg

DSC06184.jpg

DSC06186.jpg

DSC06194.jpg

DSC06208.jpg

Well what is the verdict? More "seat-of-the-pants" power and torque? Is it worth it or is it one of those mods where "you think" there is more power but are not sure if it's just the placebo effect? :lurk:

Well I haven't driven home yet, so I couldn't tell ya. ;)

Hopefully I didn't forget anything in the install, otherwise it's going to be a long walk home!

I'm headed out the door now for my hour plus commute. I'll report back with my opinion asap.

Ken

Well I definitely notice a good amount of mid-range gains. From 3k-4500 RPM's, there is noticeably more 'punch'. The install and cost of the plates was well worth it, just for that. The high end seems no different. At the low end, it's tough to say, since my tune isn't right.

I emailed Doug about it, but I'm sure it's too late to get anything tonight. The idle is just way too low. The engine stutters in neutral at around 500 RPM's.

It doesn't quite die without the gas, but it's way too close for comfort. I had the same problem with my first tune from him, right after I installed my stage 2 cams.

He fixed it up right away though, so I'm not too worried about it. Once I get the idle corrected, I'll report back on the low end difference. I'm just hoping that there isn't any torque loss in the low RPM range, but it's impossible for me to say just yet.

I plan on getting a new dyno pull this month sometime. I'm really curious to see just how much of a difference these plates and the Steeda UD pulleys have made.

Ken

i heard that with the Novi i have now its not worth getting charge delete plates. Ive been told that i will loose low end tq and hp but gain a little bit in the top end.. how true is this?

I don't know. Steeda claims that you will actually gain low end torque, see significant gains in the mid-range, and little difference in the high end.

I can't confirm the low end gain/loss, until I get on a dyno. I'll let you know how that goes.

On a side note, Doug at Bamachips mentioned that he thought the delete plates were a good 'bang for the buck' mod, whatever that's worth to you. He also knows that I'm planning on a Paxton at some point and made no mention of a low end loss.

Ken

EDIT: FYI, the C&L intake that's awaiting release has these plates built into it. They claim low end torque gains, due to the butterfly deletes. Again, I don't know if that's true, but that's what they are claiming anyway.

Ken, Nice job and thanks for the pictures! I see what you mean about the air/oil separator, that's next on my list before anything else.

Thanks again Chill! :)

thats on my list of mods every one that has done it likes it from what i have heard. let us know how it works out for you ken.

Well Doug at Bama hasn't gotten back to me, so I fixed it myself.

I dug through the 'user options' of the custom tune with my SCT Livewire for a bit and ran across a couple of useful options.

They're titled "Idle speed - neutral" and "Idle speed - drive". They were both set for 740 RPM's, which was apparently too low.

After changing it a few times, uploading the tune a few times, and idling the car a few times, I found that setting these at 790 RPM's seemed just about perfect for my setup.

I didn't lose the heavy lope of my cams, but the lights aren't drawing down anymore either! ;)

Anyway, now that the tune is setup correctly, I can say with confidence that I noticed zero low end loss. The dyno will tell the whole truth I guess, but from the driver's seat, the low end feels no better, but no worse, which is good enough for me. These plates definitely seem to shine in the mid-range. I'm left without regret on this mod.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
sounds great ken darn it i cant wait to get going on my mods.

You'll have your 07 making all sorts of power in no time man! It seems like you and I have very similar ideas on what to monkey with under the hoods of our cars. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a follow up post to this thread, since I was able to get the car on the dyno after these plates were installed.

I wanted to detail out the torque #'s, per RPM range, just in case anyone is concerned with all the talk of low end and/or mid range torque losses with this mod.

Again, I felt zero torque loss after installing these charge motion plates.

Ken

2000-3000 RPM

Before

266 ft/lbs @ 2700

After

270 ft/lbs @ 2750

3000-4000 RPM

Before

301 ft/lbs @ 4000

After

299 ft/lbs @ 4000

4000-5000 RPM