TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Faux Gas Cap question

I have a question regarding the faux gas cap. I just bought one for $25.00 from Shelby and it's just a stick on metal cover! Is that what everybodys is? If so did you do anything special to attach it besides cleaning the old cap with alcohol? I didn't know if I should use epoxy or will the two sided tape they supply work?

Thanx

I wasn't a big fan of the way it attaches, but once properly attached there's not issues. That's the problem with alot of the "dress-up" pieces for the S197's... should have bought stock in 3M two-sided tape..... I've personally gone for less appearance items due to this. It would have been nice to have actual replacement parts...

I wasn't a big fan of the way it attaches, but once properly attached there's not issues. That's the problem with alot of the "dress-up" pieces for the S197's... should have bought stock in 3M two-sided tape..... I've personally gone for less appearance items due to this. It would have been nice to have actual replacement parts...

I was gonna get the wheel centers too but now I'm afraid that I might get $100 worth of metal stickers. I know I should of bought them at Carlisle........ 20/20 hindsight.

Damn.... I hope the SC isn't stuck on with tape!!! :eek5:

I was gonna get the wheel centers too but now I'm afraid that I might get $100 worth of metal stickers. I know I should of bought them at Carlisle........ 20/20 hindsight.

The wheel centers are replacements for your existing pony versions. To be on the safe side, I took the wheels off so I could push the old ones out from behind.

The are definetly not stickers!!

The wheel centers are replacements for your existing pony versions. To be on the safe side, I took the wheels off so I could push the old ones out from behind.

The are definetly not stickers!!

Thanks Jay.... Father's Day is coming... I hope someone's paying attention!!! :lurk:

Just a note. The SGT emblem, artwok, die manufacuring, stamping for a fairly small quantity is very expensive. I wish Bud/Amy would post an estimate cost just to help get some perspective on this type of item. It is not like it is a vinly sticker. We are fortunate to have such an exclusive piece for our SGT's. 3M tape is a quality adhesive. Used on the best cars in the world. I can gaurantee you will bend your SGT emblem when you to remove it later. Epoxy unless not to brittle will pop off with thermal expansion, or you could take a knife and pop it right off.

Just a note. The SGT emblem, artwok, die manufacuring, stamping for a fairly small quantity is very expensive. I wish Bud/Amy would post an estimate cost just to help get some perspective on this type of item. It is not like it is a vinly sticker. We are fortunate to have such an exclusive piece for our SGT's. 3M tape is a quality adhesive. Used on the best cars in the world. I can gaurantee you will bend your SGT emblem when you to remove it later. Epoxy unless not to brittle will pop off with thermal expansion, or you could take a knife and pop it right off.

Oh being in the engineering field I understand the cost trust me! But when I purchased the item it was shown already stuck on a lock cover and I assumed that I was getting the whole assembly. I also understand that the 3M tape is a good quality tape. It's just that the original plastic piece on the car is curved and the faux piece is not, I'm afraid of catching the corner with a buffer and bending it that's all. From the replys above everyone is happy I don't have anything to worry about.

Thanx everyone for your input!!! :D

LOL! I sweat bullets wondering if it was straight when I installed it.

I know .... with my luck I'll drop it and it will be stuck to my shoe or the garage floor!!! :doh: I better make sure I install it in the morning before I start drinking! :tequila: At least it would look straight when I got loaded! Don't worry I don't start drinking until the car is in the garage!

It's just that the original plastic piece on the car is curved and the faux piece is not, I'm afraid of catching the corner with a buffer and bending it that's all.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but if I did ...

Properly applied 3M tape sticks good. if the entire logo piece is covered with it, seems like overkill for that application. I'd be tempted to cut the tape so it's just in a 1/4-inch circle around the outer edge, which should be secure, and would relieve pressure from the curved original, as well.

I'm just sayin' ...

Archived