TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Feedback on running GT500 Wheels/Tires on SGTs

Folks - I have been combing the forums to read as much as I can find on the experience/feedback from SGT owners that have swapped out their wheels/tires for stock GT500 wheels/tires. I would like to increase the tire size on my SGT, provide the option for larger brakes, and keep the 18" wheel size ideally for ride and perfromance reasons. For those of you who have switched to the GT500 wheels, can you provide some feedback? For those that have chosen other 18" wheels, did you consider this? The GT500 option seems attractive as they are Ford OEM, are available as take-offs for a reasonable price, and offer the staggered and larger tire sizes with some options for larger brakes as well? Any help is welcome......

I have been running GT500 wheels and tires for a year. I swapped them out to allow for the installation of the AP Racing brakes. It was frustrating trying to find 18" wheels (not a 20" fan) that would clear the AP brakes. In the end, I went with the GT500 set up for the reasons you mention: the brakes fit, there was availability and the price was reasonable.

I tracked the car with the stock wheels and tires and have done the same after the swap. The only suspension modification made after I swapped out the stock wheels and tires was a Fays2 Watts Link.

For my money, the change was one that produced real results on the track. While my car is supercharged, when you are doing open track, most of your time in the twisties is spent out of boost. The car was at least 15% better in the ability to navigate the curves. I was able to just blip the throttle to kick the rear end out to straighten the car before the next curve. Hard to put into words but the best way to say it is, before the swap, I had to be somewhat careful that I did not over power the tires on the track. Now, the car will hold tight where, before, it would not.

I think the Goodyear Supercar tires help over the BF Goodrich tires that are stock on our SGTs. Bottom line, there is no downside to doing it (other than I like the classic SGT wheels better than anything else out there) from a performance standpoint and the "look" of bigger tires in the rear is, I will admit, very 60's when everyone ran staggered sizes. I got my wheels and tires for $1,000. Heck, you can spend that on tires alone.

Good luck with whatever you do. The single best mod I have made to my car has been the AP Racing Brakes (yes, even better than the supercharger and it is pretty darn impressive). There are no words to describe what it is like to ignore every fiber of your being that is screaming for you to get off the throttle and stand on the brakes and take the car deep into a corner and THEN stand on the brakes. While I favor the AP set up, all of the owners with big brake set ups report great improvement in braking.

Jim

Good luck with whatever you do. The single best mod I have made to my car has been the AP Racing Brakes (yes, even better than the supercharger and it is pretty darn impressive). There are no words to describe what it is like to ignore every fiber of your being that is screaming for you to get off the throttle and stand on the brakes and take the car deep into a corner and THEN stand on the brakes. While I favor the AP set up, all of the owners with big brake set ups report great improvement in braking.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I wish they made the AP Racing kit (front and rear) for the SN95 cars :) :) Although the braking on my Mach is okay - it could be MUCH better I am sure :)

Page

I have been running GT500 wheels and tires for a year. I swapped them out to allow for the installation of the AP Racing brakes. It was frustrating trying to find 18" wheels (not a 20" fan) that would clear the AP brakes. In the end, I went with the GT500 set up for the reasons you mention: the brakes fit, there was availability and the price was reasonable.

I tracked the car with the stock wheels and tires and have done the same after the swap. The only suspension modification made after I swapped out the stock wheels and tires was a Fays2 Watts Link.

For my money, the change was one that produced real results on the track. While my car is supercharged, when you are doing open track, most of your time in the twisties is spent out of boost. The car was at least 15% better in the ability to navigate the curves. I was able to just blip the throttle to kick the rear end out to straighten the car before the next curve. Hard to put into words but the best way to say it is, before the swap, I had to be somewhat careful that I did not over power the tires on the track. Now, the car will hold tight where, before, it would not.

I think the Goodyear Supercar tires help over the BF Goodrich tires that are stock on our SGTs. Bottom line, there is no downside to doing it (other than I like the classic SGT wheels better than anything else out there) from a performance standpoint and the "look" of bigger tires in the rear is, I will admit, very 60's when everyone ran staggered sizes. I got my wheels and tires for $1,000. Heck, you can spend that on tires alone.

Jim

Additonal question - can you reuse the lug nuts from the stock SGT rims on the GT500 wheels? Also, any speedometer calibration issues or are the overall diameters close enough to not worry about? Any other swap-related issues to worry about, or is it actually a "plug and play" deal....? Thanks again for the advise!

lug nuts are the same from SGT wheel to GT500 wheel...not enough difference in the tire sizes to worry about needing to recalibrate anything at all...pretty much a plug N play deal...only other thing I really need to buy is an adjustable pan hard bar as the wider wheels and tires do make it noticeable that the rear end gets kicked over to the driver's side with the lowering of the SGT. It's only a little, but just enough that you can notice it...

I've had mine for over a year now and I do like how they make the car feel more stable...it handles curves VERY well, but it's still easy to light them up if you want to also :peelout:

I bought mine from a gentleman in Miami who had a 40th Anniversary upgrade done on his GT500...I paid $1200.00 shipped to my front door from Miami, so that wasn't too bad of a deal...considering I live in West Texas! Just make sure to get TRUE OEM wheels and not some knock offs...there are some that LOOK like originals but are somewhat inferior and the backspacing is usually wrong on them, so that causes problems if you want to go with bigger brakes...just be careful when you buy and you'll be fine...

lug nuts are the same from SGT wheel to GT500 wheel...not enough difference in the tire sizes to worry about needing to recalibrate anything at all...pretty much a plug N play deal...only other thing I really need to buy is an adjustable pan hard bar as the wider wheels and tires do make it noticeable that the rear end gets kicked over to the driver's side with the lowering of the SGT. It's only a little, but just enough that you can notice it...

I've had mine for over a year now and I do like how they make the car feel more stable...it handles curves VERY well, but it's still easy to light them up if you want to also :peelout:

I bought mine from a gentleman in Miami who had a 40th Anniversary upgrade done on his GT500...I paid $1200.00 shipped to my front door from Miami, so that wasn't too bad of a deal...considering I live in West Texas! Just make sure to get TRUE OEM wheels and not some knock offs...there are some that LOOK like originals but are somewhat inferior and the backspacing is usually wrong on them, so that causes problems if you want to go with bigger brakes...just be careful when you buy and you'll be fine...

Carl, I have used pan hard bar if you want it?

I euipped the CS69's basically for looks. I have a set of the GT500 take-off wheels myself i purchased on ebay for dirt cheap. But i prefer the stock SGT wheels to be honest as far as looks go. I only i use the GT500 wheels if i know im gonna be thrashing them around. When i want looks i use my CS69's. But there is honestly nothing wrong with the looks of the stock SGT wheels in my mind. They could be a little wider however.

edit:

another option if you like that GT500 wheel LOOK, and want brand new ones are the knock offs at americanmuscle.com. I have no idea how well these are made, but as far as looks go they are really close.

Brand new SVT rims are $219 a piece from FRPP, for your info. They're made in original aluminum finish or black. Most of the take offs I priced from guys online weren't priced too far below what a brand new set would cost, if at all.

If you just want a wider tire, you can run 255/45's on the stock SGT rims. Good luck.

Ken

:happy feet: I just bought a set of these wheels and tires!!

Thanks to you all I am convinced that this is a good option for me and what I am looking for...so I just bought a set of OE New GT500 Take-Offs for $899.00 for the set with tires!! There seems to be a glut of these for sale right now due to the KR program, so I consider this a pretty good deal....$150 shipping from Florida to Maryland...found them on eBay from a variety of sellers, ranging from $899 to around $1400 for the exact same set in case anyone is interested.....got mine from "Wheels and Caps" - they have a great seller rating with over 16,000 feedback responses...

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/index.php?cPath=2_24

$209 per wheel your choice of three finish styles. Scroll down to the bottom. I use mine for track days:

2007Pics004.jpg

I have a set of take of wheels and tires from my SS conversion that I am willing to sell at a reasonable price if anyone is interested PM me.

Also have the front brakes as well that I am looking to part with, would sell the set of four rims, tires and the brakes for $1,200 plus shipping.

I have a set of take of wheels and tires from my SS conversion that I am willing to sell at a reasonable price if anyone is interested PM me.

Also have the front brakes as well that I am looking to part with, would sell the set of four rims, tires and the brakes for $1,200 plus shipping.

PM sent

Archived