TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch TSB

I have been reading about the clutch problems, and when I first purchased my car I noticed that the clutch pedal was engaging right near the top. I brought it back to the dealer the next day and they told me there was no adjustment and that it is a high performance clutch and it was normal for the clutch to let out so high.

My car just had the SS package done, (went with the 605 to keep the warranty in tact.) I only have about 600 miles on the car. The car now has a gear roll over noise that is pretty loud, and at times I am also get some chatter when first starting out, as well as some occasional stalling in first and reverse, especially when backing up my drive way. I also have a Roush and the clutch is totally different, so I am thinking that maybe its just me and that I am just not used to the car yet. I cant help thinking though that maybe the car is starting to develop this flywheel problem. My build date is 6/08, just wondering if I should take it back to the dealer or wait and see what happens. I would think that since this is the second car that I purchased from this dealer in the past 2 years, that they would be very cooperative with me, but then again you never know.

I Would appreciate some of your opinions.

Gear rollover noise is normal as is minor chatter like you are explaining... I would honestly hope that you wouldn't need the TSB after 600 miles! but if you have a different clutch, it may very be that you will *not* experience the problems that they are having with the stock setup. Do you know which flywheel you have?

You are close to Palm Springs. Give Allex a shout-out. His user name on here is vapor08GT500. He has helped several TS members (including me) with getting the TSB done at a dealership near him. He has a personal relationship with the service guy and can set it up for you. Just the other day, the service guy called me to see how the car was doing. I have never had a follow-up call in my life from a service tech at a dealership; great customer service.

20442 2007-2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH CHATTER

SOME 2007 - 2009 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "CLUTCH CHATTER" DURING INITIAL TAKE-OFF OF THE VEHICLE WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS HOT. THE CLUTCH CHATTER MAY BE PRESENT IN 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING. THE CLUTCH CHATTER HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 09/15/2008

20441 2007 - 2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - GEAR RATTLE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR

SOME 2007 - 2009 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "GEAR RATTLE" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION. THE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CONTACT PATTERN OF THESE GEARS. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

Gear rollover noise is normal as is minor chatter like you are explaining... I would honestly hope that you wouldn't need the TSB after 600 miles! but if you have a different clutch, it may very be that you will *not* experience the problems that they are having with the stock setup. Do you know which flywheel you have?

No I am not sure which flywheel I have. I took the car out today and I am not sure if its a gear roll over noise or a throwout bearing noise, but when the car is at an idle the noise gets a lot louder, I realize that some noise is normal but this seems to be excessive. Maybe I will take a run by the dealer to see what they say. I also would not think I would need a new clutch after 600 miles but also don't want to have problems in the future. I agree with everyone on the site that Ford should have just done a recall especially since they realize there is a problem. I guess they are just playing the numbers game trying to limit their exposure instead of keeping up their P.R and customer satisfaction.

Why not take it into the dealer & let them have a"MECHANIC" check it , also take in a copy of the TSB you can find a copy on the forum .

Yes I agree that a Mechanic should look at it. I am just gathering as much info possible in case their immediate response is that the condition is normal.

20442 2007-2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH CHATTER

SOME 2007 - 2009 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "CLUTCH CHATTER" DURING INITIAL TAKE-OFF OF THE VEHICLE WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS HOT. THE CLUTCH CHATTER MAY BE PRESENT IN 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING. THE CLUTCH CHATTER HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

20441 2007 - 2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - GEAR RATTLE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR

SOME 2007 - 2009 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "GEAR RATTLE" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION. THE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CONTACT PATTERN OF THESE GEARS. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

Thank you!

You are close to Palm Springs. Give Allex a shout-out. His user name on here is vapor08GT500. He has helped several TS members (including me) with getting the TSB done at a dealership near him. He has a personal relationship with the service guy and can set it up for you. Just the other day, the service guy called me to see how the car was doing. I have never had a follow-up call in my life from a service tech at a dealership; great customer service.

This is how it should be at every dealer. Good customer service keeps people coming back!

Archived