TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How are your Hurst shifters holding up?

I have a bolt that has come loose in my shifter 3 times now. I've had the entire shifter replaced under warranty and it may have to be replaced again. It is the bolt directly under the inner boot. Has anyone else has this issue before?

It was common for a 10mm bolt to come loose on the underside but I do not know about the inner boot.

RTV it.

I have a bolt that has come loose in my shifter 3 times now. I've had the entire shifter replaced under warranty and it may have to be replaced again. It is the bolt directly under the inner boot. Has anyone else has this issue before?

I removed it and had the Shelby 5spd installed along with the TSB on the transmission

On a bolt you may have to loosen later RTV works better.

The blue, or low strength loctite is made to hold fasteners from loosening but allows frequent disassembly when needed. RTV is elastic and does not hold fasteners from loosening

Thanks. I'll be sure to pass that info on to all the nuts and bolts I have used it on.

:hysterical: You crack me up.

I personally use RTV as a gasket maker. Loctite sees most of my nut/bolt duty. But to each his own. :)

Ken

Thanks. I'll be sure to pass that info on to all the nuts and bolts I have used it on.

Damn, 20 years of working on equipment from Boeing, Airbus , Lockheed, Pratt & whitney, General electric and Rolls Royce and I find out they're all wrong.... RTV, go figure :doh:

Damn, 20 years of working on equipment from Boeing, Airbus , Lockheed, Pratt & whitney, General electric and Rolls Royce and I find out they're all wrong.... RTV, go figure :doh:

Yeah, sucks when a tail falls off of a 747 because someone used RTV on the bolts that hold it on instead of Locktite!!! :slapfight:

Original HURST shifter still in my car with 17,000 miles on it and not a problem at all...

No problems w/ my Hurst...but then again, only (less than) 4K miles.....

I never heard of RTV until now....I love this site....

No problems with my Hurst shifter, but I'm in the same low mileage club as Carnut and Ilmor! :runaway:

I have had issues shifting into 3rd when the temperatures are cold. I know there's a TSB, but I'm still debating if its a good idea to have my Ford dealer disassemble the transmission to change the syncros. I was thinking of changing to a synthetic oil to see if that improves things.

-yellow pony

I hope you did not try it on a Harley...

Seriously get the Blue Loctite.

If not aluminum go red, only a weak wristed girl could not remove the red. But the red will do a job on aluminum.

Use green for small screws and instruments.

I have 13,500 "spirited" miles on mine over the last two years, and haven't had a single issue... In fact, it is one of the "coolest" parts of driving my SGT... So cool, that I added the V-6 version of the same Hurst Shifter to my wife's 2006 Black 5-Speed Mustang... However, after a few thousand miles or so, HER shifter was extremely loose... And it was the TOP bolt that had worked itself out...

So when I put it back together, I just made sure I tightened it down a little more than when I installed it originally... Haven't had a problem in over 15,000 miles since...

Gregg

07SGT0547

Ilmor/Carnut,

What are you guys saving those cars for? Posterity? Get in em and drive em like you stole em!!!

They aren't going to be worth any more with fewer miles!!!

:hysterical::shift:

Trust me, it's not on purpose - I drive mine as much as I can w/out taking it to work everyday (we abuse our Honda Civic for that purpose). I'm also not worried about it being worth anymore. I'm keeping it forever so the mileage doesn't matter to me. Now... :backtotopic:

My truck is a short bed.

It's not big enough for a Harley which is where it would probably spend most of it's time!happy%20feet.gif

Yeah especially if you used RTV to keep the nuts from backing out...

My current HD has been in the back of a truck once in the last 15 years, and that was when I did not have time to finish rebuilding the top end at a friends house 200 miles from my house (had to go to work), I took the parts home and finished at home. My truck was a 1960 Ford at the time that had flapping fenders and holes to the street, it was worth $400, my friends were laughing that my bike was worth way more than my truck...at the time it was all I owned and I mean all besides some t-shirts and jeans and boots.

If you use loctite and listen to the oldtimers for tips, an HD Shovelhead 66-84 is an extremely reliable bike. To me it is the optimum HD, built before yuppie bikers with trailers and made by hand. And all SAE hardware with very few speciality fasteners and huge internal tolerences to make roadside repair a reality. They also have a total of about 10 oversized ring sets for a set of cylinders (which are replaceable) and the bottom end is roller bearing, runs forever....I guess thats why now that I could buy any bike I want I still ride that same old Shovelhead...In fact I am going to ride it today...and I might work on the Shovelhead chopper I have going on as well...

Cheers.

Archived