TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Early 07 Like New "Again"

gt50035

Well I decided to have my car "professionally" detailed after almost three years of driving (19,5000 miles) and me washing, drying, waxing, etc....and creating the dreaded swirl marks. I found a real pro to do the work. I just wasn't comfortable with a porter cable polishing wheel in my hands. I feel like I have a brand new GT500. All swirl marks and other imperfections are gone and the shine is unbelievable. When this Vista Blue is at its best and in the bright sunlight it is stunning. Of course all the colors are beautiful but I am biased.

A couple of notes:

He said my clear coat was much harder than anticipated ( a good thing I guess)...

He did two polishing passes using Optimum products, a sealant and then Pinnacle Sovereign carnuba wax....

I am happy. :happy feet: Now I don't want to wash it again. :hysterical:

Here are a couple pics:

post-6216-1244516163_thumb.jpg

post-6216-1244516180_thumb.jpg

Good stuff, Geoff. Glad Todd worked out for you ;) I need to stop by and see it....

Thanks Gabe. I am definitely happy with his work. Thanks again for mentioning him to me!

Pm or call and we will meet up.

How do you like the GTA axle backs?

Hey SkyPilot...

I installed my GTA's about two years ago. I really like them. Some notes about them:

1. No drone

2. Great looking 4" Chrome Tips

3. Nice fitment and easy install.

4. Nice throaty rumble (I think just slightly quieter than the KR's)

5. Good price

Lookin' sweet! The Sovereign carnuba does produce a nice deep shine. Looks like he a good job.

Thanks Slabo. He actually spent about 10 hours on my car. It needed the work to get it looking "better than new". The deep shine of that carnuba wax blew me away when I saw it. That Pinnacle Sovereign wax is about $100 for 8oz.

What a perfect JOB! :drool: the the time spent on that detail, the car is better than new. Just wonderling what a job like that cost?

She looks great. Did you go over after care with the detailer to keep the finish that nice for a long time? Usually when theres scratches on the lenses then the wash procedure is much to harsh. Plastic doesnt scratch as easy as clearcoat. The autopia write up is excellent and the camera shots are even better. Enjoy that beauty.

Does anyone know of a good final stedp (wax or sealant) that does not actually attract dust and pollen and so forth maybe reples it?

My car is black which does not help and it looks great, until I drive it and then return with everything almost stuck to the paint. Sorta like how stuff sticks to your tires after dressing them as well as under hood plastic.

mabe a sealant would be better?

Well I decided to have my car "professionally" detailed after almost three years of driving (19,5000 miles) and me washing, drying, waxing, etc....and creating the dreaded swirl marks. I found a real pro to do the work. I just wasn't comfortable with a porter cable polishing wheel in my hands. I feel like I have a brand new GT500. All swirl marks and other imperfections are gone and the shine is unbelievable. When this Vista Blue is at its best and in the bright sunlight it is stunning. Of course all the colors are beautiful but I am biased.

A couple of notes:

He said my clear coat was much harder than anticipated ( a good thing I guess)...

He did two polishing passes using Optimum products, a sealant and then Pinnacle Sovereign carnuba wax....

Here are a couple pics:

I use Meguiar's "Ultimate Quik Wax" (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G17516) for the most stunning, yet completely easy on/off wax protectant. It can be applied in direct sunlight and even to a hot surface - imagine that? All you need are two good microfiber cloths; have one sightly damp and use it as the application cloth - simply spray on the wax and spread onto your paintwork. There is no need to apply this product in circular motion, like traditional waxes/polish; just spread evenly over the surface (ONE SMALL SECTION AT A TIME) and then immediately buff it off to a brilliant shine with your other dry microfiber cloth. It takes me 15 minutes to completely wax my GT500 and I do it about once a week.

Now, if you want to take it one step further, then try this - Meguiar's "Ultimate Quik Detailer" (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G14422). It is applied and buffed off the same way as the "Quik Wax", and is targeted at those "between wax & wash" cycles. It does not need to be applied to a clean surface, although I always wipe-down my car with a damp microfiber cloth before applying any product. The manufacturer does however recommend that you apply this detailer in a shaded area and to a cool surface.

Used as a combo, you will almost never need to wash you car again - period. Run your fingers over the painted surfaces, especially the sections facing the sky and if it doesn't feel like glass, i.e. you notice little bumps, then you need Meguiar's Clay-Bar (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G1016) - guaranteed to restore your car's painted surfaces to a smoothness you will always be amazed at.

I swear by these products. Use them and tell me if you agree. Hope this helps.

- BORG

A couple of notes:

Here are a couple pics:

That looks absolutely amazing. Very deep shine. Enjoy :happy feet:

That looks absolutely amazing. Very deep shine. Enjoy :happy feet:

Thanks Hopsgt500.

The detailer published a write up on his forum and website regarding the process of detailing my car. He sent me a link describing each step with a few pics to go with it. Thought it was very valuable and interesting information. For anyone in the Central Ohio region, I highly recommend him.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-b...uto-detail.html

Does anyone know of a good final stedp (wax or sealant) that does not actually attract dust and pollen and so forth maybe reples it?

My car is black which does not help and it looks great, until I drive it and then return with everything almost stuck to the paint. Sorta like how stuff sticks to your tires after dressing them as well as under hood plastic.

mabe a sealant would be better?

Zaino Z2 polish followed by Z6 Gloss Enhancer Spray works good for me. Z2 seems to be less greasy than the Z5 polish so there is less smearing; I have stopped using Z5 alltogether. Applying Z6 detailer between each coat and after the final coat seems to reduce the amount of dust that likes to collect on the finish after waxing.

She looks great. Did you go over after care with the detailer to keep the finish that nice for a long time? Usually when theres scratches on the lenses then the wash procedure is much to harsh. Plastic doesnt scratch as easy as clearcoat. The autopia write up is excellent and the camera shots are even better. Enjoy that beauty.

Thanks ShowCar.

Yes we did discuss a new wash procedure and in between wax application. I really believe the culprit over time was my wash mitt. It is a microfiber mitt but I was using it to wash the entire car instead of using a separate mitt for the top/sides and for below where the brake dust lies. I think brake dust residue was causing most of the swirls over time. So I will now use two separate microfiber towels for the wash process. Also, will rinse the towel after each section. Then damp dry with a clean waffle microfiber towel and finish it off with

Optimum Instant Detailer http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M...-P286/17-oz-S1/ and then

Optimum Spray Wax http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M...-P280/17-oz-S1/

Hopefully I won't screw it up again! :banghead:

What a perfect JOB! :drool: the the time spent on that detail, the car is better than new. Just wonderling what a job like that cost?

Hans,

It is not cheap but well worth the price to me if done right IMHO. I had not done this to my car since I picked it up new almost three years ago. So after about 10 hours of work at $50 per hour, well you get the picture.

I figure treating your baby to this makeover every three years is a small pay back for the pure joy she gives you back every time you step on the accelerator! :happy feet:

A couple of notes:

Here are a couple pics:

Am amazed from the close up shots on Autopia link ...what an amazing job.

How did you approach the search for the pro in your area, was it the word of mouth or certain certification/qualification a detailer has to acquire to trust him on the car.

if i want to do the same thing in my area what will be your advice on finding the pro that i will allow to work on my car?

Archived