TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No SuperCharger Whine in First Gear...

Drove the car 09 with 1400 miles yesterday but noticed that I dont hear the whine on 1st gear. 2nd-3rd I hear with no problems but I can't seem to hear it on first. Is it becuase I need to rev it higher 1st? TC is on.

Thanks

Greg

Should be was the booster gauge showing boost?

When I installed the FRPP CAI the supercharger whine became very prevalent. When I installed the EVO tune the boost comes on quicker which makes it more noticeable. At that point I'm usually too busy holding on to listen. :hysterical:

No boost on 1st. However, I do see it on 2nd-3rd shoot up a little. Oh and I did redline it and car came close to shutting down. LOL

Wow 125K? Thats alot!

Opps I mean 125 kilometers... Little less than 80 miles...

Hi Greg,

The thing to remember here is that the onset of boost is not RPM related. It is throttle position, hence you could be turning 6000 RPM and have 0 psi boost. At the same time if you floor it in any gear at any RPM above idle, you'll see the boost gauge jump up with the accompanying blower whine.

Have fun listening to it.

Drove the car 09 with 1400 miles yesterday but noticed that I dont hear the whine on 1st gear. 2nd-3rd I hear with no problems but I can't seem to hear it on first. Is it becuase I need to rev it higher 1st? TC is on.

Thanks

Greg

First doesn't last long enough to hear anything in mine but it is there obviously

Generally I don't hear the sc whine until 2nd or 3rd. I think there's so much going on at high rpm in 1st (tires squalling, passengers screaming, small animals (and cars) scurrying out of the way, women swooning, etc.) that you can't hear it. Once she's rolling she whines nicely!

:shift::hysterical::hysterical:

Generally I don't hear the sc whine until 2nd or 3rd. I think there's so much going on at high rpm in 1st (tires squalling, passengers screaming, small animals (and cars) scurrying out of the way, women swooning, etc.) that you can't hear it. Once she's rolling she whines nicely!

Hi Greg,

The thing to remember here is that the onset of boost is not RPM related. It is throttle position, hence you could be turning 6000 RPM and have 0 psi boost. At the same time if you floor it in any gear at any RPM above idle, you'll see the boost gauge jump up with the accompanying blower whine.

Have fun listening to it.

Boost is also varied by ambient temperature, altitude, etc. On cool nights I'm getting 13 psi, but in the heat of the day I'm seeing only 11. It's funny he's seeing NO boost on the gauge in 1st at all. That's not right.

If the belt is turning so are the blower rotors,The car is always making some boost it is just bypassed until load demand starts closing the bypass at the rear of the blower.With my setup I can hear it at Idle-sounds more like a turbo whine.With the heat extractors further back on my hood I think somethings/sounds are more pronounced.

I think he is pressing slowly on the gas pedal so he doesn't break the tires loose. That is when there is llittle to no boost because the car is keeping up with the demand you are placing on the car. Try putting it to the floor while in first and you'll hear it. If you don't hear it, that is because you are busy trying not to soil your pants.

+1 :shift:

• 2 weeks later...
Boost is also varied by ambient temperature, altitude, etc. On cool nights I'm getting 13 psi, but in the heat of the day I'm seeing only 11. It's funny he's seeing NO boost on the gauge in 1st at all. That's not right.

I did a little test today, when I stomp the gas in 2nd gear the boost jumps to about 5... It was just a short burst, after glancing at the speedo and noticed I was already doing 60mph... Lol, I love this car!!

My question is how does the boost work. if you step on it does it jump instantly to full boost or ws it a gradual climb? When do they go to full boost, is it a certain amount of continuous driving and or so many engine starts?

My 08 is still stock and I rarely smoke the tires from a standstill but I had an

opportunity to show off a couple days ago and in first gear doing 15mph with

TC off I jumped on the throttle 100% and the rear tires cut loose with ease

and the boost jumped over 9psi on the guage.........Total thumbs up from

the young spectators.........This car is a blast......... :happy feet:

And the "WHINE" is definately noticed............

Funny thing is I could never get the new Corvettes to do this at the GM test drives...... :hysterical:

I was told (and it proved to be true in my case) that you will not get maximum boost until you have done 2500klms (approx 1500 miles). I clicked over the 2500... Slowed down and jumped on it... Sure enough the gauge popped right over to the 9 PSI mark... Awesome... if you are lucky enough to drive a GT500 and you don't do it with a smile on your face then you 'aint driving it right..! happy%20feet.gif

I was told (and it proved to be true in my case) that you will not get maximum boost until you have done 2500klms (approx 1500 miles). I clicked over the 2500... Slowed down and jumped on it... Sure enough the gauge popped right over to the 9 PSI mark... Awesome... if you are lucky enough to drive a GT500 and you don't do it with a smile on your face then you 'aint driving it right..! happy%20feet.gif

I speak kilometers!! I am just over 500 now... Just city driving... What was your boost showing before?

Picked up mine with 5 miles on the odometer and the boost came alive at the 18 mile mark.....

I believe the guage snaps close to 10psi in any gear with 100% throttle.......

Archived