TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 GT500 hold up resolved

samg

Heard from very good sources last week that the issue holding up the 2010 GT500s was related to clutch springs. They had to check all of the built cars. Not many were affected but they did have to change some out. Also understand that the clutch spring issue is not confined to Ford.

I don't have any information if the much discussed airbag issue was an additional problem that held up the cars -- I just know that the clutch springs was the big issue.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heard from very good sources last week that the issue holding up the 2010 GT500s was related to clutch springs. They had to check all of the built cars. Not many were affected but they did have to change some out. Also understand that the clutch spring issue is not confined to Ford.

I don't have any information if the much discussed airbag issue was an additional problem that held up the cars -- I just know that the clutch springs was the big issue.

According to Mr. Arning at the plant whom I and many others have spoken with the only problem, and the reason for the delay in shipping was the air bag trim. He never once mentioned any problem with clutch springs. This very good source of yours, does he work at the plant? How does he know there was a problem with the clutch spring? :headscratch::lurk:

According to Mr. Arning at the plant whom I and many others have spoken with the only problem, and the reason for the delay in shipping was the air bag trim. He never once mentioned any problem with clutch springs. This very good source of yours, does he work at the plant? How does he know there was a problem with the clutch spring? :headscratch::lurk:

The information is correct. Don't know why it has not been discussed previously or how long it will take for further details about it to surface. Regardless of all of that, Ford has earned big time respect for doing the right thing. They made the decision not to pass a potential problem on to their customers or dealers. You know this has had to cost them some big bucks in the process. All of those cars sitting on the lot means delayed cash flow.

Anybody talk to Mr. Arning lately? I called his number yesterday and left a message and havnt heard back from him.

Yep, talked with him yesterday, same old song and dance waiting parts. Unless you are a late build and then you should be on the way.

Cobra09

I havent heard anything about a clutch spring. Pretty sure it was just the airbag cover, but thats just what I was told from the guy running things!!

MM

Well, you can certainly believe what you want but here are a few additional thoughts to consider:

You need to get information from more than one source and do more digging.

Also, think about what is going on --

1) At least hundreds if not a 1,000-odd GT500s are being held up for months. Think about the cashflow impact of that in hard times.

2) Virtually no information is available for many months regarding why. Including not a single GT500 dealer in the ENTIRE United States has been given ANY information for many months. A 100% blackout. You would think at least one would get something!

3) How is it everyone now appears to be getting solid inline production and deliver dates on their cars while those that were built early are still stuck in some lot if there is a parts shortage?

Do you really think all of this is entirely explained by only a dashboard piece (appearing to be a cosmetic impact) that sometimes expands when it is hit by too much sun? And this explaination is getting more tired with every passing month.

Anyway, this is all I am going to say on the matter until more information surfaces from another source.

I spoke to Ralph Arning this afternoon, and I asked him flat out what the clutch spring issue was, and he said "There is NO clutch spring issue".

The airbag cover issue was REAL, and it also affected regular Mustangs as well as Shelbys. He said there were a few THOUSAND Mustangs that were grounded there, waiting for the part, and the retrofit - before they could resume shipping. BUT, Shelbys are shipping...

He also told me my car is finished and was "out being striped", and would ship on Friday, with shipment time of 7-12 days via rail to NJ. :happy feet:

I spoke to Ralph Arning this afternoon, and I asked him flat out what the clutch spring issue was, and he said "There is NO clutch spring issue".

The airbag cover issue was REAL, and it also affected regular Mustangs as well as Shelbys. He said there were a few THOUSAND Mustangs that were grounded there, waiting for the part, and the retrofit - before they could resume shipping. BUT, Shelbys are shipping...

He also told me my car is finished and was "out being striped", and would ship on Friday, with shipment time of 7-12 days via rail to NJ. :happy feet:

Did you ask him what was the distribution of automatic versus manual transmissions?

Did you ask him what was the distribution of automatic versus manual transmissions?

Frankly, No... why would I care about an auto trans Mustang? I ordered a Shelby, so 6-speeds it is, the way it should be...

He did confirm that the "regular" mustang (and whatever trans it has) has the same shape/size passenger airbag cover as a GT500, and while they are cosmetically different looking - they fit (or don't fit) the same way.

Frankly, No... why would I care about an auto trans Mustang? I ordered a Shelby, so 6-speeds it is, the way it should be...

He did confirm that the "regular" mustang (and whatever trans it has) has the same shape/size passenger airbag cover as a GT500, and while they are cosmetically different looking - they fit (or don't fit) the same way.

Ok, a final request: Does anyone in the ENTIRE universe out there have ANY information on the problem from ANY another source? A big and curious question.

Well, you can certainly believe what you want but here are a few additional thoughts to consider:

You need to get information from more than one source and do more digging.

Also, think about what is going on --

1) At least hundreds if not a 1,000-odd GT500s are being held up for months. Think about the cashflow impact of that in hard times.

2) Virtually no information is available for many months regarding why. Including not a single GT500 dealer in the ENTIRE United States has been given ANY information for many months. A 100% blackout. You would think at least one would get something!

3) How is it everyone now appears to be getting solid inline production and deliver dates on their cars while those that were built early are still stuck in some lot if there is a parts shortage?

Do you really think all of this is entirely explained by only a dashboard piece (appearing to be a cosmetic impact) that sometimes expands when it is hit by too much sun? And this explaination is getting more tired with every passing month.

Anyway, this is all I am going to say on the matter until more information surfaces from another source.

If you ask 100 different folks you might get 100 different answers, but that doesnt make them ALL correct! I asked the GUY who is in CHARGE of PRODUCTION ( Mr Arning) if he dont know NO ONE DOES!!! But like you told me you are welcome to believe whomever you want!

1. YES the cash flow on these cars is a TON, but the hurt it would cause Ford to send them out and let it become a WARRANTY issue would be WORSE!!! Poor marks for quatlity and then have to pay the dealers for fixing them under warranty! AA and Ford did the right thing. Only ship the car when THEY feel its 100%.

2. I NEVER called anyone. This is STANDARD for Ford when bringing out a NEW model! Just because we as dealers can order the cars DOES NOT MEAN they are ready to build them! As soon as MY customers started asking questions I called and found out what the hold up was. Mr Arning didnt try to HIDE anything. He told me the problem and what AA and Ford was doing to get it fixed and that they would NOT ship the cars until they were 100% ready! I agreed with him (not that it changed anything on his part).

3. I have 2 cars that are on the way. The FIRST car was BUILT EARLY. I mean REAL early! I have had the invoice ALONG time. Then it went on HOLD. I told Bob (second allocation) after I talked to Ralph that I thougth that his car would get here BEFORE the first allocation. He has posted on this thread and is welcome to verify what I told him. The first cars built went to a holding lot while AA waited on the parts to arrive. When the parts started coming in and PRODUCTION resumed I knew the car is production would be the FIRST to get the new parts! This is NOT the first this has happened to me. Its MUCH easier to start building cars with the new parts than SHUT DOWN production while you put the new part on 1000 or so cars that are sitting EVERY where outside! Something yall might not know is that EVERY car that had the airbag cover replaced was TESTED again for quality before AA released the car ( THATS COOL) So the 1000 or so cars that were waiting on the airbag were tested TWICE for QA!!!!!!

Im not trying to start a fight with you here, but you act like the clutch spring problem would be something Ford and AA would hide? A problem with the car is a PROBLEM!! The way Ford and AA are looking at it is if the car has ANY problems they are NOT shipping! Clutch spring, Airbag cover peeling, or NOT enough NEW CAR smell!!!! These cars WHERE not going to ship until the airbag cover problem was resolved. If you want to think that it was a clutch spring issue thats fine, but dont call in the BLACK helicopters because of something your heard from a "good source"!

MM

If you ask 100 different folks you might get 100 different answers, but that doesnt make them ALL correct! I asked the GUY who is in CHARGE of PRODUCTION ( Mr Arning) if he dont know NO ONE DOES!!! But like you told me you are welcome to believe whomever you want!

1. YES the cash flow on these cars is a TON, but the hurt it would cause Ford to send them out and let it become a WARRANTY issue would be WORSE!!! Poor marks for quatlity and then have to pay the dealers for fixing them under warranty! AA and Ford did the right thing. Only ship the car when THEY feel its 100%.

2. I NEVER called anyone. This is STANDARD for Ford when bringing out a NEW model! Just because we as dealers can order the cars DOES NOT MEAN they are ready to build them! As soon as MY customers started asking questions I called and found out what the hold up was. Mr Arning didnt try to HIDE anything. He told me the problem and what AA and Ford was doing to get it fixed and that they would NOT ship the cars until they were 100% ready! I agreed with him (not that it changed anything on his part).

3. I have 2 cars that are on the way. The FIRST car was BUILT EARLY. I mean REAL early! I have had the invoice ALONG time. Then it went on HOLD. I told Bob (second allocation) after I talked to Ralph that I thougth that his car would get here BEFORE the first allocation. He has posted on this thread and is welcome to verify what I told him. The first cars built went to a holding lot while AA waited on the parts to arrive. When the parts started coming in and PRODUCTION resumed I knew the car is production would be the FIRST to get the new parts! This is NOT the first this has happened to me. Its MUCH easier to start building cars with the new parts than SHUT DOWN production while you put the new part on 1000 or so cars that are sitting EVERY where outside! Something yall might not know is that EVERY car that had the airbag cover replaced was TESTED again for quality before AA released the car ( THATS COOL) So the 1000 or so cars that were waiting on the airbag were tested TWICE for QA!!!!!!

Im not trying to start a fight with you here, but you act like the clutch spring problem would be something Ford and AA would hide? A problem with the car is a PROBLEM!! The way Ford and AA are looking at it is if the car has ANY problems they are NOT shipping! Clutch spring, Airbag cover peeling, or NOT enough NEW CAR smell!!!! These cars WHERE not going to ship until the airbag cover problem was resolved. If you want to think that it was a clutch spring issue thats fine, but dont call in the BLACK helicopters because of something your heard from a "good source"!

MM

Well let's leave it at that. But you did answer the question that you do not have any information from any other source. If you did perhaps you may be more sensitive to the need for being discrete. And I am not saying anything about anyone else other than there is more information on the matter.

I do agree that it may not matter as long as issues were resolved and the cars are moving. I will also say that the approach you mentioned of not shipping the cars until they are right were the exact words I heard but connected to the clutch springs.

Well let's leave it at that. But you did answer the question that you do not have any information from any other source. If you did perhaps you may be more sensitive to the need for being discrete. And I am not saying anything about anyone else other than there is more information on the matter.

I do agree that it may not matter as long as issues were resolved and the cars are moving. I will also say that the approach you mentioned of not shipping the cars until they are right were the exact words I heard but connected to the clutch springs.

I ask you who this secret source of yours is you never answered whether he worked at the plant or anything. I know our source Mr. Arning is reliable and in the know. As far as I know you got your information from somebody at "Auto Zone" that is zoned out. :hysterical::hysterical:

I was the first one to post a number for the plant on this forum. The number was the main plant number that I found on GOOGLE search. I spoke to a lady and she connnected me to Mr. Arning. So if any one wanted to find a number to the plant all they have to do is search the net. With the lengthy delays I felt we needed some answers to why the cars were not being produced and or shipped so I posted the Main plant number. :headscratch:

I was the first one to post a number for the plant on this forum. The number was the main plant number that I found on GOOGLE search. I spoke to a lady and she connnected me to Mr. Arning. So if any one wanted to find a number to the plant all they have to do is search the net. With the lengthy delays I felt we needed some answers to why the cars were not being produced and or shipped so I posted the Main plant number. :headscratch:

Well,

I have been around here awhile. I know Ralph personally. He has a job to do at the plant and it's not answering hundreds of phone calls from members on this site.

Need I say more ?

Well,

I have been around here awhile. I know Ralph personally. He has a job to do at the plant and it's not answering hundreds of phone calls from members on this site.

Need I say more ?

No need to say more,but all I did was call the plant main number and ask who I could talk to to find out why my car was not being built. I could not get any straight answers from the Ford 1-800 Number so I called the plant. As a customer I have a right to get answers and Mr. Arning has been a huge help and a great guy to talk to. He never said don't call me again, he said call me back next week and I'll give you an update. I will not call him again if it is a problem. My car has shipped now anyway. :shift::shift: :happy feet: :happy feet:

No need to say more,but all I did was call the plant main number and ask who I could talk to to find out why my car was not being built. I could not get any straight answers from the Ford 1-800 Number so I called the plant. As a customer I have a right to get answers and Mr. Arning has been a huge help and a great guy to talk to. He never said don't call me again, he said call me back next week and I'll give you an update. I will not call him again if it is a problem. My car has shipped now anyway. :shift::shift: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Your missing my point.

Nevermind.

Archived