TEAM SHELBY FORUM

UPR air/oil separator install

I just finished installing the new UPR billet aluminum oil catch can in my SGT. I purchased this one and the Moroso one, unsure as to which one I wanted.

After a few days of debate, I decided to install the UPR can in my SGT, since it matches a lot better with (ironically) my Moroso tanks and everything else in the engine bay.

I'm keeping the Moroso can, however, and will install it in my 66 fastback instead.

DIY GUIDE

This is a very easy job. You need a 13mm socket, 10 mm socket, and a razor to cut the new hose with.

The install guide, however, shows a bracket under the strut tower brace, where there was none in my car. I used the hole for the small ground wire instead, seen here.

DSC06151.jpg

First, I pulled the strut tower brace off by pulling the 4 13mm nuts holding it down.

DSC06156.jpg

After pulling the 10mm bolt from the small ground wire, I tried fitting the catch can's bracket over the hole. The stock bolt, however, was just a thread too short.

DSC06158.jpg

Luckily, I had this 10mm bolt laying around in my garage, which is double the length of the original.

DSC06159.jpg

DSC06161.jpg

Next, I popped the small intake tube off of the cam cover and the intake elbow. Here's a photo of it uninstalled.

DSC06162.jpg

Finally, I cut the supplied hose to length with a razor. The install guide says that the inlet/outlet are universal, so it doesn't matter which side you connect to what.

DSC06164.jpg

DSC06167.jpg

Here are the 2 cans side by side. It's tough to get the finish of the Moroso can captured, but it's really gritty. Between that and the old school AN fittings, I figured it would look a lot nicer in the 66 than in the SGT.

DSC06146.jpg

DSC06147.jpg

Here are the 2 cans side by side. It's tough to get the finish of the Moroso can captured, but it's really gritty. Between that and the old school AN fittings, I figured it would look a lot nicer in the 66 than in the SGT.

DSC06146.jpg

DSC06147.jpg

Ken, how does it empty? Looks like it is split with a upper ans lower half.

Ken, how does it empty? Looks like it is split with a upper ans lower half.

Yes sir, you're right. The bottom part just unscrews. The top part houses the filter.

I'm not sure how often to check this thing, so I'm sure I'll be dumping it all the time for the first couple months till I figure it out!

Ken

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the can is on the wrong side. The oil catch can needs installed on the driver side where the main PCV vent is. That small vent just vents in a small amount of mostly air. You won't see much if anything there. :doh:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the can is on the wrong side. The oil catch can needs installed on the driver side where the main PCV vent is. That small vent just vents in a small amount of mostly air. You won't see much if anything there. :doh:

The can isn't 'on the wrong side' of anything. This can isn't designed to replace the PCV vent on the driver's side. It's meant to be installed on the slightly smaller vent on the passenger side.

Obviously, there will still be some oil in the intake, but there will most certainly be less of it. I'm happy with the design and the form of this piece. I'll report back in a few months with my opinion on the function of it.

Ken

If you want the benifit of an oil catch can it needs to be on the correct side of the engine. On a scale of 0-100% you may catch 15% on the small passenger side vent and the driver side main PCV 85%. The PCV vent is double the size of the passenger side. Also you are not replacing the PCV vent you are directing the vented mix into the can first to catch oil vapor and then vent the cleaned air to the intake. The PCV valve is still there just a catch can in the piping system now. Looks like a no brainer to me. :headscratch:

If you want the benifit of an oil catch can it needs to be on the correct side of the engine. On a scale of 0-100% you may catch 15% on the small passenger side vent and the driver side main PCV 85%. The PCV vent is double the size of the passenger side. Also you are not replacing the PCV vent you are directing the vented mix into the can first to catch oil vapor and then vent the cleaned air to the intake. The PCV valve is still there just a catch can in the piping system now. Looks like a no brainer to me. :headscratch:

I don't know what else to tell you. If you have this serious of an issue with how I installed the thing, call UPR directly. They wrote the install guide, not me.

Ken

Ken, Great write up, thanks for the tutorial. Looks like something I could do.

Thanks Chill. You could definitely do this install. It looks great and I'm sure will perform great too.

Let me know if you need any help man!

Ken

I have no serious issues on your install, I'm simply providing valued info on installation of a system part to get the best benefit. Of course UPR will tell you what ever so the product sells. The oil catch cans are typically used on S/C and high HP cars where a vacuum pump is used. These when installed correct or better phrase in the most correct area will significantly reduce oil vapor / oil in the intake areas. Installing in the non PCV valve side leaving the PCV valve venting is really eye candy and doing little. I asked UPR and they could not provide valued details other than it will catch oil vapor and admitted yes less but it will catch oil. I'm not doubting that but it will be way less. A search on the various forums or call FRPP, Moroso or speed shops that handle these will all say what I have pointed out. No need to be irritated about it that's how we all learn, and I welcome good info so mistakes are not made or an easier way of doing things is provided. We can always agree to disagree but the proof is in the pudding and the intake. :lurk:

I don't know what else to tell you. If you have this serious of an issue with how I installed the thing, call UPR directly. They wrote the install guide, not me.

Ken

I have no serious issues on your install, I'm simply providing valued info on installation of a system part to get the best benefit. Of course UPR will tell you what ever so the product sells. The oil catch cans are typically used on S/C and high HP cars where a vacuum pump is used. These when installed correct or better phrase in the most correct area will significantly reduce oil vapor / oil in the intake areas. Installing in the non PCV valve side leaving the PCV valve venting is really eye candy and doing little. I asked UPR and they could not provide valued details other than it will catch oil vapor and admitted yes less but it will catch oil. I'm not doubting that but it will be way less. A search on the various forums or call FRPP, Moroso or speed shops that handle these will all say what I have pointed out. No need to be irritated about it that's how we all learn, and I welcome good info so mistakes are not made or an easier way of doing things is provided. We can always agree to disagree but the proof is in the pudding and the intake. :lurk:

There is no 'out of the box' solution for the driver's side. The Moroso can would work well, but collecting the proper reducers, AN fittings, and hose and figuring out a way to mount it in my SGT didn't interest me at the time of this install.

If/when a can is designed for the driver's side of an NA car, I'll consider buying it. For now, one side of the engine will have to do. Neither I nor UPR ever laid claim that this can would collect all of the oil that was passing back into the intake.

Ken

Radical08 is right. The drivers side pulls the dirty air out of the engine. I've had mine there for a year and I usually drain about two teaspoons of oil out every couple months. The clean air is pulled into the engine via the passenger side cover hense the hose from the cold air intake which is right before the throttle plate goes into the pass side valve cover. Really think about it. nice set up just move it to the other side.

Radical08 is right. The drivers side pulls the dirty air out of the engine. I've had mine there for a year and I usually drain about two teaspoons of oil out every couple months. The clean air is pulled into the engine via the passenger side cover hense the hose from the cold air intake which is right before the throttle plate goes into the pass side valve cover. Really think about it. nice set up just move it to the other side.

I've already got an email into UPR about it. I merely followed the instructions. It clearly says and shows this being installed on the passenger side. I've also seen a few other catch cans installed on the passenger vent of NA 3V's. I'll let everyone know what UPR says.

Ken

I've already got an email into UPR about it. I merely followed the instructions. It clearly says and shows this being installed on the passenger side. I've also seen a few other catch cans installed on the passenger vent of NA 3V's. I'll let everyone know what UPR says.

Ken

On the GT500 the passenger side is the correct side.

I have seen pictures of the Supercharger inlet on the GT500 that show what amounts to an oil slick leading in from the throttle body. This leads me to believe that some oil is being fed in from the breather tube. This can happen if the PCV valve is plugged or if the volume of blow-by gases produced in the crankcase is so great that it overwhelms the PVC system forcing its way into the intake through both lines.

We need puke cans now? :headscratch:

I've never noticed an issue and I regularly run mine in the high rpm's. Just how much does it catch?

When I had mine installed on the PCV side, I'd collect about 1 teaspoon every 100 miles.

From my conversation with UPR they want to sell products vice telling you the real deal and should have outlined the product in the description and it's use. They are also only one of many that sell these out there. If you want 100% coverage a can should be on both sides, but if only installing one can it needs to be on the PCV valve side.

From my conversation with UPR they want to sell products vice telling you the real deal and should have outlined the product in the description and it's use. They are also only one of many that sell these out there. If you want 100% coverage a can should be on both sides, but if only installing one can it needs to be on the PCV valve side.

Point taken.

I'll consider a driver's side can at some point.

Just to clear up any confusion, this can was sold to be installed on the passenger side. From the site's description,

"The most common problem is making your car emit light blueish white smoke upon start up or even during normal driving. The throttle body handles your main air stream and has a breather tube running from the crankcase to the throttle body. The vacuum from the incoming airstream and positive pressure in the crankcase combine to get oil in the air tract.

Every car and vehicle is set up this way to help eliminate the pressure build-up in the bottom end of your engine enabling the piston to move up and down with less resistance.

These cans feature a containment system and separator that force all the debris to get captured and contained in the filter while still allowing airflow thus maintaining full function of the breather system."

Here's a photo of the installed can from their site (on the passenger side):

05-09-Mustang-Billet-Bypass-Oil-Catch-Can-Kit-lrg.gif

Anyway, whether it'll do anything to filter the oil out, I can't really say, until it's been installed for awhile. Regardless, I'll work on fitting up a can to the driver's side. Which can did you install, Radical? It's one I've never seen.

Ken

On the GT500 the passenger side is the correct side.

This is an interesting point.

I just got off the phone with a guy at UPR. I brought this issue up with him and he had to call me back...twice.

Finally, what he ended up telling me was not what I wanted to hear. He says that HE thinks they screwed up. He remembers them using a Shelby (meaning GT500, I'm sure) to design this thing.

I mentioned that the GT500 has the PCV on the passenger side. He sighed heavily and mentioned that they've sold countless numbers of these cans and they're probably not of much use to anyone that's purchased them for the 05-09's. :headscratch:

Radial08, I didn't mean to come off curt. I just followed their instructions and was irritated that their instructions would be wrong. I appreciate your input, however much I hoped it wasn't true.

The design of this thing (the size of the fittings and hose) doesn't allow for it to be installed on the driver's side, the correct side. The UPR guy is going to talk with the head tech about this and call me back tomorrow. He's offered to give me my money back, but I'd rather he either tell me 1) that they'll re-design the can so that it's of any use to the people that have already paid for it, or 2) pull the product from the site entirely.

I'll keep all of you posted. For now, it's still installed. Thanks for all of your unwanted feedback! :hysterical:

Ken

Nicely done Ken, class act. I was ready to pull the trigger but will hold up now. That sure looked nice and I loved how it installed. Damn.

You too Radical08, you guys kept it between the ditches.

Ken

You asked me which side my can was installed on and I told you the passenger side, well it is but the million dollar answer is the hoses run to the drivers side ! I am totally sorry, that is what I get for letting my Amex install my mods.

Drivers Side

web.jpg

Passenger side

web.jpg

Hoses head to drivers side behind engine

web.jpg

web.jpg

Again I am extremely sorry and next time I will make sure I know what the #$%^ I am talking about before answering a question..

Take Care

Andrew

Ken

You asked me which side my can was installed on and I told you the passenger side, well it is but the million dollar answer is the hoses run to the drivers side ! I am totally sorry, that is what I get for letting my Amex install my mods.

Again I am extremely sorry and next time I will make sure I know what the #$%^ I am talking about before answering a question..

Take Care

Andrew

Hey man it's no sweat at all. I'm the dummy that should have known better to begin with. I appreciate all your help, regardless of the UPR dilemma! I should have just sent it back like I originally intended and figured out the Moroso install from the beginning. Oh well, it's been keeping me busy anyway. ;)

Ken

Below is a link to my install. Now my can came from a Vette website as they have quality products I bought for my C6 in the past. The Corvette Forum is a hugh bundle of information and very detailed. We are working on that in here too. The Moroso or even the UPR can will work installed on the driver side PCV. Now I can only speak for the Whipple install but the hose should be the same on the NA cars too.

-The PCV hose is 5/8

-The catch can hose typically has a 3/8 barb fitting

-You could use 5/8 hose all the way by installing 5/8 barb fittings but that is too big really

-NAPA or similar places have hose adapters plastic or metal that will slide in hoses for the 5/8-3/8 reduction

-You can always take a 3/8 hose and it will slide right in the 5/8 hose tight OD-ID of the hoses and they will seal

-No worry about a leak because the vacuum is so small. The preferred way is with adapters and you need 2

-The 5/8 PCV hose (only need maybe 6" goes with adapter to the 3/8 hose to the can inlet maybe 18"

-Now the 3/8 hose from the can outlet about 18" goes to the next adapter to the 5/8 hose where it connects to the intake throttle body area and again only need about 6" of 5/8 hose

-I used the 3/8 hose at the can inlet / outlet because of size and they area to run on the driver side is tight

-With the open filter it provided a perfect attachment point. Anywhere else over there would be hard

-You can run hoses all the way over to the passenger side, I just wanted a close and clean install

Visit My Post and number 16

Thanks for the info. I've been searching around locally for the right AN fittings for the Moroso can. I'll let ya know how that turns out.

On a side note, I got this email from someone at UPR this morning:

"When designing the product, UPR intended to clean up the air intake from excess oil. The ideal set up would be to install a "T" or a second can. Our opinion is that we did not want to interrupt the pcv system. The ease of installation comes into play as well. This is not a cure all, simply just a device to clean up most of the oil from entering the front of the thgrottle body and intake area. I hope this helps."

:headscratch:

Thanks for the info. I've been searching around locally for the right AN fittings for the Moroso can. I'll let ya know how that turns out.

On a side note, I got this email from someone at UPR this morning:

"When designing the product, UPR intended to clean up the air intake from excess oil. The ideal set up would be to install a "T" or a second can. Our opinion is that we did not want to interrupt the pcv system. The ease of installation comes into play as well. This is not a cure all, simply just a device to clean up most of the oil from entering the front of the thgrottle body and intake area. I hope this helps."

:headscratch:

ANPlumbing.com has a good selection of AN fittings. I've purchased from them before.

http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php?

Also I suggest using fuel hose for those lines.

Archived