TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why I Bought a Shelby GT / GTH

gth0007

Why I Bought a Shelby GT or GTH ? :lurk: With all of the negative stuff on the news lately, let's start a new topic and tell all why you bought your Shelby GT or GTH. I'll start it off with my story. Being 60 years old I clearly remember 60's and early 70's Cobras, Panteras, Shelbys at the Ford/Mercury Dealerships. To own a Shelby product you had to have plenty of money, a very forgiving insurance agent, and an itch to be just a little better than the competition. When the muscle car era ended and the 80's arrived, there was little to get excited about in the automotive world. So, the "old" Shelbys caught fire on price and ended up where they are today, 6 figures for a nice restored one. Fast forward to 2006. Carroll Shelby steps up to the bar and builds his modified Mustangs again. The GTH hits the street and it's 1966 all over again. Not the fastest car on the street, but a nice blend of handling and performance. I had to have one and was fortunate to be able to buy GTH-0007. Sold that car when the white 07 SGTs appeared. Now why did I have to have these cars. Well, first of all the 0-60 and Quarter mile times are better than nearly all of the 60's muscle cars, the SGT handles better than any Mustang ever made, the looks are killer retro (look at the Motor Trend article comparing the SGT and the 1966 GT-350), and the car is so close to the original 1965-1967 Shelby heritage by being actually built at a Shelby factory. So it's 1965-66, all over again, and only Carroll Shelby could have pulled this off and gave so many more people the opportunity to be part of his unique history. Thank you for the memories. :cry:

The car is so close to the original 1965-1967 Shelby heritage by being actually built at a Shelby factory. So it's 1965-66, all over again

This really sums it up for me. I have been a Mustang and Shelby fan since 1981 at age 14 when my dad bought a new '81 Mustang. My first Mustang was a 21 year old '66 coupe a farmer had in his barn and I paid $400 for it. My favorite Mustangs are the 65 - 66 models and I always dreamed what it would have been like to buy a brand new one at the dealership. Fast forward to 2005 and the S197. The retro looks of this Mustang are probably as close as we will will get to a 65 -66 Mustang. I couldn't afford the GT500 with its $20K ADM or the GT-H's selling at auction for $50k - 90k, so in Feb '07 I bought a '07 GT vert. It is a great car, but not a Shelby. Fast forward again to January '09 with our economy in the toilet and the only acceptable car to drive being a hybrid, preferably one NOT built in the USA. I see an opportunity possibly slipping away and I certainly don't know what the future holds, but awesome V-8 rear drive pony cars do not seem to be the future. So, I ran across one of those GT-H's a dealer paid a fortune for with 9,800 miles on it. The dealer only added 50 miles since Feb '07, kept it in climate controlled storage, never titled it from Hertz, and needed to sell. I could not pass it up. Basically, I was able to time warp back to 1966 and buy a brand new GT350H just off rental duty from Hertz that was built and signed by Carroll Shelby. BTW, I think the badge on the trunk lid is my favorite part of the car....

post-3252-1244292693_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1244292693_thumb.jpg

i love mustangs. and to own a shelby. i think that they are the best mustangs ever. just the history shelby and the mustang have together is what did it for me. when the gt-500 was announced i jumped all over it (to own a 500hp supercharged shelby for a little over 50k when a 1967 was going for over 100 plus i did not have a problem paying) , not knowing that they would be making a shelby gt-h and then the shelby gt. i ordered one from the dealer on june 5th 2006. then i went to the mid-america shelby meet a couple of weeks later and saw the shelby gt-h proto-type there i thought man i just pre-ordered a gt-500 w/ a depostit. man i wish i would have known about the gt-h i would have waited (probably not but it sounded good anyway- is what i told my wife) i did tell her that i would love to have one of those when they become availible to purchase. because of the history behind the 66's and now this being the 40th anniversary the history that would be behind these cars, it being the first shelby mustang since 69-70. of course i kept going on and on. plus the fact that i just loved the look. not knowing about the handling and performance behind the cars at that point. so i waited and waited.

then they rolled out of hertz w/ a super high price tag (more than what i paid for my 500hp gt-500) i thought these people are crazy, i don't guess i will ever own one of these cars w/ that kind of price tag. a few months later i was in springfield, mo and i got my second look at one of these cars. the dealer had got one in may of 2007 w/ a price tag of 89k. that confirmed my thought again. so about nov. 2007 the price feel off these cars. so i called the dealer in springfield, he was not about to come off the price but he had just purchased another one from auction. so we agreed on a price over the phone, i asked him to hold the car till i could get up there this weekend to look at and test drive her. the deal was made a couple of weeks later i made it back and closed the deal. having both cars i couldn't really decide on what one i liked the best they both had their pros and cons.

my deciding factor. there was an all mustang car show a couple of hours away. (my 2nd time to attend my first was w/ our 2005 mustang gt. we sold to get the gt-500) i was tossed what car to take the most powerful or the most limited. i took the most limited and that did it for me. there were 5 or 6 gt-500's at the show and 2 were vista blue the same color i had. with all those late model cars a few shelyb g-t's one black and one white. i had the only hertz edition shelby got all the attention. a first place trophy and best of show (that came w/ a 100 dollar bill). i was pumped. i now have 3 hertz cars, hopefully will be able to get one suprecharged one day.

thanks for letting me share and i hope i didn't bore you w/ the story. i just get that excited to be a part of this great history.

When I was growing up, my father raced Mustangs and was Dick Trickles's head engine mechanic in Wisconsin Rapids, WI (before Dick went on to Nascar). We shared a passion for Mustangs, and of course, Shelbys. When I moved away and had my own family, we grew apart somewhat, as many fathers and sons do. When the modern day Shelbys started to appear, that shared passion once again sparked. That spark led to a renewed relationship with my father that I am very thankful for. In fact, I put my father's name next to mine on the title of my Shelby. That way, if anything happens to me, the Shelby will go to my father and still be a rare one one-owner Shelby Mustang.

I bought my first Mustang in Sept 1967 when I came back from Vietnam 289 2bbl 4 speed fastback. Was cheap than $3000 but still alot of money for a 20 year old with 6 mo to go in the Army. Next step was getting insuance. Because the 390 in a mustang was new that year I was asked if I was married? Also I hadn't driven in a year. Thats what they thought I drove a Tank! Anyway 40 years later the 2005s co\me out and I kinda like them but $30,000 don't think so. Then in 2007 the Barrett-Jackson Acution came along and that was it. Platt paid $600,00 when the announcers were telling us we could buy it for $38,000. That was it . My 60th Birthday present and I love it and will be 63 this year. The driveability is so mush better than 19767 Rick

let's start a new topic and tell all why you bought your Shelby GT or GTH. I'll start it off with my story.

My first car was a 1968 Mustang 302 4bbl. I have loved the ponies since the day I drove it home. When I was 18 I had a choice of buying a 69 Mach 1 w/390 AT or a 67 GT350. $900 for the Mach 1 or $1500 for the Shelby. (If I only knew then!) Over the years I have had over 200 Mustangs, most of them donors for the project cars, but the only style I had never had was a Shelby.

I saw a used (214 miles) 07 SGT on Ebay made a bid under MSRP thinking there was no way I would get it. I paid $36,500 for my first Shelby from Tuttle Ford in Arizona. Driving that car from AZ to home in Washington was the best road trip of my life! When I saw the verts would be available in 08 I knew that I would be getting one of them soon. Started checking out Ebay since the dealers here were asking 15K over sticker. I found a Barrett Jackson convertible :drool: , again in Arizona, for $3k under sticker. :happy feet:

Mustangs003.jpg

Why I bought a Shelby? Everyone has their own reasons I guess...

I was born in 1966. I remember my Grandfather, a tough old Marine who survived Iwo Jima WWII - was a man who collected toy cars and then staged them on a shelf in his office. Now at the time he had a white 1966 6cyl. Automatic transmission Mustang setting in his driveway (which he gave to my kid brother later on). But he also had a toy car on his shelf that was a Shelby Mustang - I guess that's what he must have really wanted. But with raising his new grandchildren (me and my brother) - he just could not afford the Shelby's or even the other performance editions that came out. But even still, no one took better care of their car than my Grandfather did and I watched him spend his weekends keeping them in top shape.

Now that I think about it I guess I fell in love with 60's Mustangs and all early Fords because of him.

At about 14 I knew that there was just no way I would ever be able to live out the boyhood dream of buying a new Silver and Black 1966 Mustang off the lot. Realizing this pretty early on I looked at newer Mustangs from a disappointed distance.

When I turned 21 my grumpy Grandfather grudgingly gave me his 1964 Ford Galaxie (which I still have and baby as a daily driver) and though I love the blue oval as much as anyone - as each year passed I would look at the new Mustang models Ford was releasing and wonder how they could keep making the car harder and harder to like year after year. I knew that they had hit the ball out of the park back in the 60's - why not swallow some pride and admit that everything after it was - well - poor attempts to fill big shoes? Seeing "Gone in 60 Seconds" at the theaters only reinforced that belief in my mind.

Then back in late 2000 I was surfing the web when I came across an artists rendering of what the 2004 GT Mustang "might" look like - damn - now that was a MUSTANG!!! Could it be possible that a retro Mustang could be released after all? I went down to my local Ford dealer and met with a salesman. I showed him a printed copy of the artist rendering and his jaw dropped. Neither he - nor anyone else there had seen anything like it. I told my wife that IF this car was indeed manufactured - I was going to buy one even if it killed me financially.

Now I kept checking in with my salesman friend from time to time and he started saving anything that he found supporting my dreamed of "concept car" into becoming a reality. One day he called me and asked my to drop in - where he then showed me the first official company releases of the 2005 Mustang. To say I was walking on a cloud is really an understatement. I wrote a deposit check for $1000 on the spot (which they never cashed but he kept in my folder I guess)

I remember thinking it over and over - plotting about which of the Mustang lineup I should buy - I figured the 2005 would probably be the year that all of the "bugs" in the design would be found - then eventually worked out in 2006. Maybe they would even make a Mustang GT, a Boss or even a Mach I if I could be patient. Time would tell. So I sat back and waited.

When I found out that Ford had patched up the relationship with Mr. Shelby and a Mustang edition with his involvement was in the works - I could not believe that the dream I had as a child was unfolding right in front of me.

I think it was in late 2006 my salesman called to tell me that the Mustang I had been waiting almost 7 years for was going to be delivered in a couple of weeks. BUT his manager and then the owner of the dealership told him that regardless how long I had been his customer and I had waited - I would have to throw my hat in the ring for the LOTTERY they were drawing to see if I could buy it - at $87,000. Hell, that was more than my first House cost! So I walked away... Mad, Sad and REALLY Disappointed.

So a couple of years go by. My Grandfather was newly wheelchair bound and thus unable to live by himself and so he moved in with my wife and our teenage kids. I sold off most of his stuff from his apartment in a yard sale, but was told by him under no circumstances was I to let even a single toy car escape! I set up a display type case for his prized car collection in his new bedroom - just so he could see them everyday. He loved it.

As time passed I told my wife that in my heart I knew that in 2009 or 2010 Ford would not leave perfection alone and was probably going to change the design of the retro Mustang... and that my once in a lifetime opportunity was certainly slipping away.

Then last October, just days after the Stock Market crashed - I smelled blood in the water - and I went in to see a dealer in the Los Angeles area. I walked into the showroom and there it was. A 2008 silver and black striped Shelby GT500 Mustang. It was perfect. The sticker price? $85,000.00. Still - the 2009's were arriving and this car had to go - so I made a firm non-negotiable offer of $1,000.00 over invoice.

My family arrived at the dealership and I showed my just too tough to die WWII Marine / 88 year old Grandfather my boyhood dream car - a SHELBY that would soon be setting in the same driveway as his old 1964 Galaxie 500XL -

- and you know what? He just smiled and cried.

Why did I buy one? Because of the retro style. We have a 67 and a 70 and I was on a mission to build a 68 or 69 Cobrajet. I could never find a reasonably priced shell to start with and while paging through an issue of Mustang Monthly I saw the 2005 Mustangs. I finally saw something I liked. The front end looked like a 69 and the rear looked like a 70. Then there was talk of a Shelby. So I sold off most of my CJ items and was told by a coworker about an SGT at a local dealership. Honestly I did want a GT 500 but was disgusted with the dealerships hiking the price up so much over invoice. So I bought the SGT. And I'm glad I did. The 500 came along last October but that's another story.

Seriously, I was sitting at a red light with my wife in my 2001 Corvette. And I was having another fit about how hot the Vette was running and how ticked off I was at the gauges all seeming to be failing...... There just happened to be a Ford dealer on the corner. My wife pointed at the GO Shelby on display out front and said "I'm tired of you whining about this car. So go get THAT one"

So I did.

I knew little about Shelbys. Oh, I knew who Carroll Shelby was, and I knew something about the history of the brand. But until I bought the car I had no idea that there was such a fanatic following until I looked online about a week later and found this site. I thought I bought a sports car, but now it looks like I must have adopted a family member.

It's great to see such loyalty (although a few of you may need some serious Valium) :hysterical:

Our Boy Scout troop took a tour of the Metuchen, NJ Mustang final assembly plant in 1966. I went with a buddy and his dad in June 1967 to a funny car meet :peelout: at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ. :drool: I still have Brownie photos of the A/FX Tasca Ford Mustang from that day.

My dad's 56 Buick was stolen in the fall of 1967. We made do with our 63 Falcon wagon. He had me go with him to the Ford dealer on a Saturday morning to "have it looked at". There was a new mossy green/gold 1967 Mustang, you know the color, with a black vinyl roof , parked in a stall by the door. A salesman came out and aksed if I wanted to sit in it. What is a 16 year old Mustang crazy kid going to say? I slid behind the wheel and he handed me the keys. I wasn't getting my learner's permit until the next April but my dad said it was okay to start it since it was ours!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

We continued to go to the drags around the northeast. I saw the original Cobra Jets run. My mother was chronically ill so I was the go-fer in our family. The 67 Mustang was basically my car. I took my wife on our first date in that car in 1968. When I went away to school, the car stayed home. My parents eventually sold it.

I got married and we bought a 68 Chevelle. We took it out west in 1973 on the 10K road trip I have mentioned b/4. By the time we ended up in Utah in 1974, the Mustang as I knew it was now a Mustang II, yuck. Besides, I needed a 4x4 to do serious exploring. I was never a fan of any of the 80s or 90s Mustangs.

I started a kitchen and bath remodeling business in 1995. After 9/11 our economy took big hit as Utahns were afraid of an attack during the 2002 Olympics. They laid low and didn't spend money :hide: I almost lost everything. I had my new truck repo-ed, laid off 5 guys and sold 1/2 of my tools. I sold my camper, trailer and ATVs just to keep my house. This created an empty bay in my 3 car garage.

In 2005, I saw my first retro Mustang. As fate would have it, it was that same green color from 1967 :drool: Ford had really outdone themselves this time around. :happy feet:

We always go to the Parade of Homes and the remodeling and gardening shows at the Expo Center. For some reason, Hertz had a display at the remodeleing show in the fall of 2007. They had a SGTH vert. on display :headscratch: . I was kind of out of touch with the automitive world as all cars looked the same and most came from overseas to me. I had no idea Shelby made anything other that the Cobra roadster anymore. What I saw looked like a modern GT350. I thought I was back in 1966 and couldn't stop thinking about the car I saw.

The reason we went to that home show was to check out granite counter tops and copper sinks. My wife said we could get a car if she got new counter tops. My years of whining finally paid off. :happy feet: Naturally her counter tops came first. I figured it would give me more ammo when I found my car. We found a company who checked out and went to pick out our actual granite from the slab yard the day before we headed to Vegas for our annual Las Vegas NHRA Nationals trip.

I decided on a Mustang GT because of the looks and price. The practical side of me made me rent a V-6 2007 Mustang for my Vegas trip. I wanted to get a feel of the creature comforts, visibility, etc, as well as the over all quality. Here comes fate again. Hertz rented us a black car.

Fate stepped in yet again. The parking lot across from SAI is an extention of the Strip parking and Nitro Alley. The Shelby lot was full of Vista Blue Mustangs, most under white covers. At the time, I didn't know a thing about the SGT and didn't know I missed out on the 2007 black and white run. I just kept thinking how it would be to own a new Shelby. Those lucky :censored:

When we got home form Vegas, we decided V-8 Mustang was for us. We scheduled the kitchen install and I went looking for a white Mustang GT that I could have blue Le Mans striping painted on, like the 60s GT350s. I couldn't get those new Sheblys out of my mind.

The dealer I where found the perfect white GT told me if I was considering making a Shelby clone, he could do me one better and sell me this black SGT automatic they had on the lot for almost 6 months. He said the price he was going quote me was absolute. No bickering. I thought, here we go. He knows how I went on about my Vegas sightings and the Hertz car at the home show. I was a sitting duck.

I figured I couldn't afford a Shelby. He split the difference between the GT vs. the SGT. All of this was done over the phone as I was 40 miles away on top of the mountain. Ski season doesn't give me much time off. I never saw the car until I went to sign the paperwork. No matter, I was buying a Shelby. A real Shelby. I had no idea there were only black or white 2007s produced and only 508 black automatics, the fastest ones :stirpot: at that.

I become very passionate about what ever I get in to. Once I bought my SGT, I did a lot of reading and realized what I had really done. These cars are a special part of the Shelby history and heritage. I am proud to be part of it all. I am forever grateful to Mr. Shelby and his team for giving us the SGT :salute: . This car has changed my life.

My first car was a 1968 Mustang 302 4bbl. I have loved the ponies since the day I drove it home. When I was 18 I had a choice of buying a 69 Mach 1 w/390 AT or a 67 GT350. $900 for the Mach 1 or $1500 for the Shelby. (If I only knew then!) Over the years I have had over 200 Mustangs, most of them donors for the project cars, but the only style I had never had was a Shelby.

I saw a used (214 miles) 07 SGT on Ebay made a bid under MSRP thinking there was no way I would get it. I paid $36,500 for my first Shelby from Tuttle Ford in Arizona. Driving that car from AZ to home in Washington was the best road trip of my life! When I saw the verts would be available in 08 I knew that I would be getting one of them soon. Started checking out Ebay since the dealers here were asking 15K over sticker. I found a Barrett Jackson convertible :drool: , again in Arizona, for $3k under sticker. :happy feet:

Mustangs003.jpg

Finally! Someone else with a BJ SGT!

I really don't have a real good reason why I bought a 2007 Shelby GT. It just happened. My last muscle car was a 69 Dodge Charger with a 383 four barrel carb and automatic on the floor--red with a white vinyl top. A really nice one it was, and like everyone else I've always regretted getting rid of it as I think about years gone by.

I knew I didn't want a new charger. Threre was nothing there! Obviously wasn't designed by a baby boomer.

Once my wife gave me the "go ahead" for a mid-life crisis, all of a sudden the Shelby GT was there and it had everything I wanted. I won't take the time to list them all.

There was no brand loyalty or "I always wanted a Shelby". But once I started my search for a muscle car, the Shelby came out on top. And now, I am one happy Shelby owner.

Karashemshek 07SGT2701

I'd never heard of Carroll Shelby and usually buy real sports cars like Toyota Supras, Mazda RX7s, and Nissan 350Zs, but I saw that adorable little blue coupe with the cute silver stripes car, I just couldn't help myself. I asked if the dealer could remove the silly hood scoop and add a rear spoiler. It needs a spoiler to be a real sports car. I didn't really care for the dash plaque so I removed it. But alas, I'm already bored with it. It's just too retro for my taste. Looks too much like one of those old mustangs from the 1960s...Whatever. I wish there was some way to take the rear off the 2010 mustang and put it on the SGT...would make it look more like the cars I usually purchase.

I think I'm going to sell it and get a Suburu WRX. I read 2 magazine articles that said WRX's were faster than the SGT and plus they look much better.

I'd never heard of Carroll Shelby and usually buy real sports cars like Toyota Supras, Mazda RX7s, and Nissan 350Zs, but I saw that adorable little blue coupe with the cute silver stripes car, I just couldn't help myself. I asked if the dealer could remove the silly hood scoop and add a rear spoiler. It needs a spoiler to be a real sports car. I didn't really care for the dash plaque so I removed it. But alas, I'm already bored with it. It's just too retro for my taste. Looks too much like one of those old mustangs from the 1960s...Whatever. I wish there was some way to take the rear off the 2010 mustang and put it on the SGT...would make it look more like the cars I usually purchase.

I think I'm going to sell it and get a Suburu WRX. I read 2 magazine articles that said WRX's were faster than the SGT and plus they look much better.

:headscratch:

No I'm sober, but here's links to my comments on my often told story of why I bought a SGT from other similiar threads over the years.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=336028

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=677360

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=588997

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=473586

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=445743

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=342969

Just figured most people had already heard my real story and I didn't want to bore them again.

I will return to my sans Suburu Avatar and signature shortly.

And yes I know who CS is and no I don't plan to sell my SGT for a WRX :)...just having fun with ya'll

Great stories guys.

I've always wanted a Mustang. It really started when I saw the 2000 Bullitt. I was married and had other other obligations

that I was more than happy to attend to so I put it on the back burner.

I just happened to rent a car in one of my rare visits to the states and laid eyes on the new '05 Mustang someone had just turned in

I fell in love with it, it was a V6 model. Even though I had already signed the contract for a convertible '04 Mustang the rental agent

was going to give me the Mustang for the same price. But guess what?? The guy who just turned it in, took off with the keys and that was

the only Mustang they had. So I went on my happy (kinda) way. I did every bit of research in the next few months about the Mustang and knew

I had to have a Mustang GT. Then I saw the GT 500 and wanted it badly. MSRP was what?? 45 grand I believe when it was first announced? It looked

unreachable for me when I saw how much the dealers were marking them up. Again on the back burner until I read a short article about the SGT.

More research followed and my mind was settled. I didn't need 500 horses on an island 35 miles long and 8 miles at it widest after all. Fast forward to 2008 and as I was embarked onboard the USS Ronald Reagan, we made a port call to Guam and there it was a brand new 2008 Shelby GT coupe right in my own backyard.

I went back to Guam in October and she was still sitting there. I went to the salesman and asked for a quote, he gave me one with some discounts. I went to the bank and applied for the loan and picked up the car 3 days later. I was like a kid in the candy store with a smile more than a mile wide. Even though I don't get to drive it often, it's been 8 months since I drove her, I have no regrets what-so-ever about finally buying my dream car at 40 yrs old.

I grew up with a 66 coupe and now at 43 and married 25 years I can finally afford it just ordered the 2010 Kon Blue, Satin silver stripes, shaker 1000, HIDS and cover. Mid life crisis my " " I couldn't afford it until now.

didnt start out looking for a mustang....just wanted a late-model musclecar...looked at the new camaro, but just couldnt "fall in love with it", tried to buy a Challenger SRT8, but got tired of being "jerked around" by Chrysler(and its dealers) when I tried to buy their 4,140lb so-called "pony car"....so eventually I sat in a roush with its awesome Hurst shifter & couldnt believe how much I liked it.....So i started looking at "special" mustangs...saw my '07 white SGT w/20" Razors and fell in love!!....perfect size(like the original), good power, awesome handling & looks, and that special little dash plate, how could I not buy it!!

post-25069-1244932916_thumb.jpg

post-25069-1244932916_thumb.jpg

Ok I am long winded but here goes. I have allways loved cars, acording to my mother it was the first word i ever spoke, so it is fitting to tell you that when I saw my first Shelby I was at the mall with mom.

I am not sure what age I was probably 10 or 11, and my mother and I were heading into the mall, so she could drag me around while she shopped. (come to think of it that still happens now, but it's with my wife lol)

Well as we were heading inside, was a red with gold stripes 69 GT 500 convertible parked in front of this resturant that was part of the mall. I had never seen a mustang that looked like that before, I remember walking around and around it and taking in every detail. I asked my mom if we could wait untill the owner came so I could hear it start up, and of course mom waited.

The guy came out of the resturant and saw me staring at the car, he smiled and got in and fired it up. the sound that thing made brought an even bigger grin to my face, the guy reved it up a bit and with out any drama pulled away with a smile on his face.I knew then some day I would own a Shelby Mustang

Fast forward to 2005, I am the owner of a 2001 Mustang gt, and I had herd all the buzz about the new Mustang, finaly in april at the ny auto show i got to see it. I couldn't believe my eyes the car was a knockout, it was exactly what i had dreamed of, and in my moment of euphoria, I remember my wife tugging on my sleave and saying you have to buy one, when I turned to look at her, her eyes were as glazed over as mine. to this very day I have never again seen my wife react that way to a car.

I knew I had to have one so a few months later when they hit the dealerships I went looking for my Mustang. Thats when reality kicked in and smacked me in the face, dealer markups were 2-3000 dollars over sticker, in some cases more. After months of searching i was frustrated and tired of getting the same story from every dealer, no they wouldn't accept x-plan pricing, no they wouldn't even sell me a car for sticker, ect, ect...

Finaly in september of 2005 I got so frustrated I went and test drove a new dodge charger r/t, I liked it and decided it just wasn't in the cards for me to have the mustang.

October of 2007, the chargers magic had worn off, I still like the car but once I saw Carrol and Ford were building Shelbys, the Mustang itch had got me again. I knew the Gt 500 was out of my price range, but I wasn't sure about the Shelby Gt, after checking several dealers the best I could do was 39000, still a little to much for me to be comfortable, so by late movember I had given up again. then around mid december of 2007 my wife and I were heading to the mall of all places and we got stoped at the traffic light right infront of the Ford dealer. I glanced over at the lot and saw 4 Shelby Gt's sitting there 2 White and 2 of the slower black ones :D So I pulled in and went to talk to the salesman, I asked him if he could do anything with the price seeing that it was december , not exactly mustang weather. I gave him my number and told him if he could do anything to give me a call, an I headed back out to my car. My wife and I went to the mall and as we were coming out, my cell phone rang, X-plan , check, 0.9% financing , check, 2000 rebate, check. I told him we had a deal, and on December 26th 2007, I was the owner of my very own Shelby Gt .

Because I couldn't afford a GT500! :hysterical:

I don't know if that statement is true for you but it is so with me. Now with some more OT at work I hope to own a GT500 someday. I got my SGT because my 1998 SN-95 was not cuttin' it for me and why buy a regular mustang, and so the Shelby GT it had to be, glad I did it because I rarely see another SGT in my town, only at car shows when the collectors take them out, mine is a DD by the way.

I actuallly was looking for a 1966 GT 350 clone to purchase. Can not afford an authentic Shelby. I actually found one in Florida that was done very well. So well that if you did not know what to look for it could be mistaken as a real one exept for the paint (black with white stripes). Great restoration and tribute. While planning the trip to Florida to see the car after much discussion with the owner, I went to a conference in southern California. While looking in an auto shopper magazine I noticed a GTH add at Chino Hills Ford.

Knowing that this was a 40th anniversary car to the 1966 Hertz GT 350 program, I decided to look at the car. Well it was not perfect but what sold me was that it was car 06H0050. The car that I was going to buy was for my 50th birthday. I felt that this was an omen and and opprotunity to own a real Shelby. I went home back to northern California and pondered on it for a couple of days and called the dealer and agreed on a price. I felt it was ment to be. The rest is history.

OK, I'll play.

My name is Rex, and I'm a Mustang-holic.

I confess my first car was a '57 Chevrolet that carried my through my senior year of HS (1970). The week I graduated, I bought a '69 Mach 1. That car was my 'home' for the next 3 years, got me a lot of smiles - and tickets. But by 1972 I was married with a kid, struggling to get by, so the Mach 1 was sold. A few years later I bought a Boss 302, but it was a heap and it went away, to be replaced by a new '76 Mustang II Mach 1. I had actually intended to buy one of those white/blue Shelby lookalikes they made then. Remember those?

Late 1970s I could have bought any of several GT350s for $2500 - $2700, in excellent shape. I never did that, just could not justify it in those days of gas crises. That was the ultimate Mustang. But I passed, and later watched them appreciate way out of my budget. I settled for a '66 Mustang coupe - 4-spd, air, manual disc brakes. We kept that car for most of a decade I guess.

Around 1990 I ran across another '69 Mach 1. Loaded, original car, 42K miles, $3700. Life was good again.

My other lifelong desire was to get an SCCA comp license and go road racing. 1996 I bought an old Reynard FC and got that license, but the race car displaced the Mach 1. Now several race cars later I'm cooling on the racing.

I've needed a nice car for quite a while. When the retro Mustang came out, I was excited to see Ford got it right, finally. My son bought a 2005 GT when they came out, which got me thinking about the same thing. The Shelbys really got me going, but a $42K car was a bit more than I was willing to pay. Then I saw an ad for a new 2008 SGT for $37000. Suddenly a Shelby was (barely) affordable. But I missed that one, and kept watching the ads for another discounted Shelby. I knew I wanted the GT rather than the 500. But I was resigned to buy a Mustang GT, thinking I had missed out on the Shelby deals, and now they weren't making them.

But as I looked at $25K Mustang GTs, I saw a SGT listed on CL for $28K. Hmmmm. I looked at that car, drove it, REALLY liked the ride dynamics and the sound. Further research revealed that SGTs were the only true SAI cars, made only 2 years, and the the only Shelby Mustangs made since 1967 - instant classic, for sure. And I found several under 10,000 miles within driving distance of me for about the same price as a new Mustang GT.

So I ended up with a 2007 white car with 7800 miles zero defects. I just love it. It turns heads as I drive down the street, young and old alike. And driving it takes me back to those '69s - instant flashback

This time the Mustang is going to displace the race car. Anybody want a Formula Continental?

PS - Sounds like I'm not the only Boomer around here :salute:

OK, I'll play.

My name is Rex, and I'm a Mustang-holic.

I confess my first car was a '57 Chevrolet that carried my through my senior year of HS (1970). The week I graduated, I bought a '69 Mach 1. That car was my 'home' for the next 3 years, got me a lot of smiles - and tickets. But by 1972 I was married with a kid, struggling to get by, so the Mach 1 was sold. A few years later I bought a Boss 302, but it was a heap and it went away, to be replaced by a new '76 Mustang II Mach 1. I had actually intended to buy one of those white/blue Shelby lookalikes they made then. Remember those?

Late 1970s I could have bought any of several GT350s for $2500 - $2700, in excellent shape. I never did that, just could not justify it in those days of gas crises. That was the ultimate Mustang. But I passed, and later watched them appreciate way out of my budget. I settled for a '66 Mustang coupe - 4-spd, air, manual disc brakes. We kept that car for most of a decade I guess.

Around 1990 I ran across another '69 Mach 1. Loaded, original car, 42K miles, $3700. Life was good again.

My other lifelong desire was to get an SCCA comp license and go road racing. 1996 I bought an old Reynard FC and got that license, but the race car displaced the Mach 1. Now several race cars later I'm cooling on the racing.

I've needed a nice car for quite a while. When the retro Mustang came out, I was excited to see Ford got it right, finally. My son bought a 2005 GT when they came out, which got me thinking about the same thing. The Shelbys really got me going, but a $42K car was a bit more than I was willing to pay. Then I saw an ad for a new 2008 SGT for $37000. Suddenly a Shelby was (barely) affordable. But I missed that one, and kept watching the ads for another discounted Shelby. I knew I wanted the GT rather than the 500. But I was resigned to buy a Mustang GT, thinking I had missed out on the Shelby deals, and now they weren't making them.

But as I looked at $25K Mustang GTs, I saw a SGT listed on CL for $28K. Hmmmm. I looked at that car, drove it, REALLY liked the ride dynamics and the sound. Further research revealed that SGTs were the only true SAI cars, made only 2 years, and the the only Shelby Mustangs made since 1967 - instant classic, for sure. And I found several under 10,000 miles within driving distance of me for about the same price as a new Mustang GT.

So I ended up with a 2007 white car with 7800 miles zero defects. I just love it. It turns heads as I drive down the street, young and old alike. And driving it takes me back to those '69s - instant flashback

This time the Mustang is going to displace the race car. Anybody want a Formula Continental?

PS - Sounds like I'm not the only Boomer around here :salute:

Nice story REX, it's amazing how many SGT owners have similar interests and buying habits. The SCCA thing is where I went AFTER buying the SGT. I made the fatal error of going to a vintage SCCA race at Sebring. Wow wow wow. I thought this racing would just be a bunch of old guys doing track time in their old race cars. Next thing I know, I've bought a really nice six-banger 1965 Mustang fastback, gutted it, called Cobra Automotive, and well, $35,000 later I'm finally about done with my vintage race car. Now all I need is the guts to race, as these guys are dead-on serious about vintage racing. My car has 408 horsepower engine from Cobra Automotive, Holman Moody intake, 9 inch Ford posi-rear end, weighs under 2,700 lbs, and has all of the 1965 Shelby GT-350R "accessories" with the needed safety upgrades. I definitely will not be a front runner but the sound, feel,and plain enjoyment of vintage racing is where the good life begins.

Nice story REX, it's amazing how many SGT owners have similar interests and buying habits. The SCCA thing is where I went AFTER buying the SGT. I made the fatal error of going to a vintage SCCA race at Sebring. Wow wow wow. I thought this racing would just be a bunch of old guys doing track time in their old race cars. Next thing I know, I've bought a really nice six-banger 1965 Mustang fastback, gutted it, called Cobra Automotive, and well, $35,000 later I'm finally about done with my vintage race car. Now all I need is the guts to race, as these guys are dead-on serious about vintage racing. My car has 408 horsepower engine from Cobra Automotive, Holman Moody intake, 9 inch Ford posi-rear end, weighs under 2,700 lbs, and has all of the 1965 Shelby GT-350R "accessories" with the needed safety upgrades. I definitely will not be a front runner but the sound, feel,and plain enjoyment of vintage racing is where the good life begins.

I love vintage racing, will probably go there next. I've been trying to trade my FC for a vintage racer of some sort. An early Mustang would be perfect.

But I owe my wife some track time for being such a good crew-mate on race weekends, so I thought we'd do autocross for a few years.

Archived