TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lower End Noise?

When you stick your head down under behind the rear of the front tires, do any of you notice some mechnanical noise that seems to come from the oil pan area? Maybe I am just paranoid?

Mine seems to make a bit of noise at idle. It has done it since new, but when I pulled it into the garage today, it caught my attention again.

I am pretty sure it isn't throw out bearing as it does it regardless if clutch is in or out, yet it sort of sounds like that. It could also be lower bearing noise, which some might be normal?

When I rev it just a bit it goes away. It is really only noticeable right at idle.

The concrete garage floor and wall right next to the car, makes things more noticeable, too.

So....I guess I am asking if your engines are silent, or is there a bit of mechanical noise down low?

When you stick your head down under behind the rear of the front tires, do any of you notice some mechnanical noise that seems to come from the oil pan area? Maybe I am just paranoid?

Mine seems to make a bit of noise at idle. It has done it since new, but when I pulled it into the garage today, it caught my attention again.

I am pretty sure it isn't throw out bearing as it does it regardless if clutch is in or out, yet it sort of sounds like that. It could also be lower bearing noise, which some might be normal?

When I rev it just a bit it goes away. It is really only noticeable right at idle.

The concrete garage floor and wall right next to the car, makes things more noticeable, too.

So....I guess I am asking if your engines are silent, or is there a bit of mechanical noise down low?

I have listened to it a bit more, as well as the bottem ends of my other cars. I think I am just being paranoid, because each car makes some mechanical noise in the bottom end.

This isn't a banging noise, etc... more of a light rattle noise only at idle. Each of my cars has variations of the same sound, so I must just be parnoid when it comes to the GT500.

OK , Lets try this , Because I am curious ..( I am a ford senior tech, ASE master and I own my own Transmission shop ) So it would benefit both of us to try this and report...

Car Hot , pull into the spot where you hear the noise ( I hear mine in the Garage and on the concrete apron )

Idle , Trans in Neutral , foot off of clutch pedal = Noise ? yes or no

Idle , Trans in Neutral , Foot depressing clutch pedal = Noise? Yes or no

Idle , Foot depressing clutch , Engage trans in any gear , = Same Noise ? Yes or no

If you would do this and report , I will do the same . I have no other car to compare to, and I have not had one of these Transmissions apart. Therefore this test will tell us if both Cars are the same or not . and if the noise is truly gear rollover or not.

OK , Lets try this , Because I am curious ..( I am a ford senior tech, ASE master and I own my own Transmission shop ) So it would benefit both of us to try this and report...

Car Hot , pull into the spot where you hear the noise ( I hear mine in the Garage and on the concrete apron )

Idle , Trans in Neutral , foot off of clutch pedal = Noise ? yes or no

Idle , Trans in Neutral , Foot depressing clutch pedal = Noise? Yes or no

Idle , Foot depressing clutch , Engage trans in any gear , = Same Noise ? Yes or no

If you would do this and report , I will do the same . I have no other car to compare to, and I have not had one of these Transmissions apart. Therefore this test will tell us if both Cars are the same or not . and if the noise is truly gear rollover or not.

It does it in all cases you listed.

I do get a different noise, that I am certain is roll-over noise, when the foot is off clutch pedal and trans in neutral AND the AC is on. It seems to cause a slight load change that causes the rollover noise to happen. Without the AC on, it isn't noticeable.

Back to the engine noise... I can't figure out where it is comming from, but it is a light rattle type noise that seems to be lower end, but it actually it could be the supercharger, too. The supercharger makes some noises, too... I can only hear it with the hood closed, as with the open, the injectors make more noise and covers it up, so it is pretty light.

I figure I have 5years, so 4 more summers, to see what happens. If it gets worse, then I take it in. Otherwise I am thinking it is just a normal noise of some tolerance in the engine, oil pump, etc...

I finally drove the car today , My results are listed below , * note the noise was louder with the A/C on *

Idle , Trans in Neutral , foot off of clutch pedal = Noise ? Yes or No ....... YES

Idle , Trans in Neutral , Foot depressing clutch pedal = Noise? Yes or no ........YES , BUT MUCH LESS

Idle , Foot depressing clutch , Engage trans in any gear , = Same Noise ? Yes or no ....NO Completely gone

I also noted that when this gear rollover was happening , if I pushed the shifter all the way to the right in the Neutral gate , You could actually feel the gear rollover as well.

SO I would say what you are hearing is not gear rollover , and probably just normal engine noise.

I finally drove the car today , My results are listed below , * note the noise was louder with the A/C on *

Idle , Trans in Neutral , foot off of clutch pedal = Noise ? Yes or No ....... YES

Idle , Trans in Neutral , Foot depressing clutch pedal = Noise? Yes or no ........YES , BUT MUCH LESS

Idle , Foot depressing clutch , Engage trans in any gear , = Same Noise ? Yes or no ....NO Completely gone

I also noted that when this gear rollover was happening , if I pushed the shifter all the way to the right in the Neutral gate , You could actually feel the gear rollover as well.

SO I would say what you are hearing is not gear rollover , and probably just normal engine noise.

I agree. I do get the louder gear rollover noise when AC is on, too. When it is off, I also hear it, and it is louder than the other noise I hear. I am pretty sure it is just general mechanical noise the more I listen to it.

Thanks for the help!

Archived