TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Storage

ebonyscgt500

Have a question .....I'm planning on winter storage for my car....trying to decide if I should put the car up on jack stands and if I do , where should I place them.....had a close look under in front of the back wheel, and its hard to decide exactly where to put the jack stand. If you look closely at the location there is two options ....just inside towards the interior , directly on the main frame of the car , or where is the spot to use when jacking up the car .....it difficult to know where is the correct spot, with out doing damage. If anyone can provide me with clearer choice I would appreciate the info....

Thanks........

:shift:

With todays radial tires, weight on the tires not too big of an issue anymore unlike bias..........however, if you want to lift the car, try to leave the suspension as is and not extended, therefore, rear under the axle tube at each end, and the front........at the control arms furthest way out is what I do.

• 1 month later...

Have a question .....I'm planning on winter storage for my car....trying to decide if I should put the car up on jack stands and if I do , where should I place them.....had a close look under in front of the back wheel, and its hard to decide exactly where to put the jack stand. If you look closely at the location there is two options ....just inside towards the interior , directly on the main frame of the car , or where is the spot to use when jacking up the car .....it difficult to know where is the correct spot, with out doing damage. If anyone can provide me with clearer choice I would appreciate the info....

Thanks........

:stop: leave it on the ground!!!!!!!!!!! this is a subframe car do not put the stands under anything,this will make your frame shift.all you have to do is put plastic mats under the tire to keep the cement from touching your rubber tires and you will be fine.i have owned many muscle cars since 1981 and i have done this for poly glass tires and radial tires and have never had any problems in over 20 years.but stay away from metal stands under anything.hope this helps. :redcard:

:stop: leave it on the ground!!!!!!!!!!! this is a subframe car do not put the stands under anything,this will make your frame shift.all you have to do is put plastic mats under the tire to keep the cement from touching your rubber tires and you will be fine.i have owned many muscle cars since 1981 and i have done this for poly glass tires and radial tires and have never had any problems in over 20 years.but stay away from metal stands under anything.hope this helps. :redcard:

I agree!

Mike

post-2888-1167618901_thumb.jpg

post-2888-1167618901_thumb.jpg

How does that help?

humidity travels through the concrete in storage. the rubber mats or carpet with rubber backing stops or totally slows :headscratch: the humidity from travelling to the tires steel belts,thus keeping the steel belts healthy by blocking the humidity.which equals longer lasting rigidity of the tire.hope this helps!!!

:headscratch:

humidity travels through the concrete in storage. the rubber mats or carpet with rubber backing stops or totally slows :headscratch: the humidity from travelling to the tires steel belts,thus keeping the steel belts healthy by blocking the humidity.which equals longer lasting rigidity of the tire.hope this helps!!!

I agree with you. Here in the damp winter months in the Pacific NW the moisture comes up thru the concrete at times. Your idea of putting the moisture barrier down is a good one for sure. I bet that car bubble works good too, but it seems like a hassle to me, unless your going into deep storage for many months.

Thanks. Just wondered since I've had my '69 Camaro stored without any barrier under the tires since 1984 (I only drive it 500 miles/year) and I still have the same tires on it since 1984...with no steel belt problems. And since I worked as a technician for about 5-6 years and never saw a rusted steel belt, I am wondering where this is coming from....has anyone seen any documented evidence of such problems? Am I missing something?

Dave

Thanks. Just wondered since I've had my '69 Camaro stored without any barrier under the tires since 1984 (I only drive it 500 miles/year) and I still have the same tires on it since 1984...with no steel belt problems. And since I worked as a technician for about 5-6 years and never saw a rusted steel belt, I am wondering where this is coming from....has anyone seen any documented evidence of such problems? Am I missing something?

Dave

It is called "anal paranoia". :hysterical:

Dave

I have some Model T wheels and the original tires are gone. I know they were stored directly on dirt during the winter months. So maybe this the documentation you are looking for?

Neither do mine...and I park on concrete. :happy feet:

the original question and answers are all under a canadian forum for all these replys,then you 'alloy dave' from :censored: goat country comes along with a totally different climate and thinks he knows it all. come on southern indiana does not have humidity like canada and the northern states,plus who the hell said that steel belts rust anyways-a figment of your imagination? :hysterical: . :finger:

I, and others that I know of in the Cold Climes of Canada, drive up onto 4" styrofoam blocks. Tires never flatten.

fantastic tip!!!!!!!!! my friend uses full sheets of the styrofoam boards and not only does it protect the tires it also protects the whole car. see you on the road 07 shelby or at a cruise in.happy new year!!!!! :shades:

fantastic tip!!!!!!!!! my friend uses full sheets of the styrofoam boards and not only does it protect the tires it also protects the whole car. see you on the road 07 shelby or at a cruise in.happy new year!!!!! :shades:

In my unheated shop, the moisture that can migrate up thru the concrete floor can be stopped by also parking your car on a plastic tarp that will act as a moisture barrier between the underside of your car and the floor.

This is only needed during the winter months here in the Pacific NW. I also thought of setting a small fan on the shop floor to keep the air moving at certian times of the year but never tried that.

In my unheated shop, the moisture that can migrate up thru the concrete floor can be stopped by also parking your car on a plastic tarp that will act as a moisture barrier between the underside of your car and the floor.

This is only needed during the winter months here in the Pacific NW. I also thought of setting a small fan on the shop floor to keep the air moving at certian times of the year but never tried that.

hey rob,great idea. :idea:

the original question and answers are all under a canadian forum for all these replys,then you 'alloy dave' from :censored: goat country comes along with a totally different climate and thinks he knows it all. come on southern indiana does not have humidity like canada and the northern states,plus who the hell said that steel belts rust anyways-a figment of your imagination? :hysterical: . :finger:

I don't think I know it all. Our humidity here is high in summer....I can't speak to Canadian humidity. You said the humidity travels to the steel belts. Well guess what...steel exposed to humidity causes rust. There is a word called inferring...and that's what I did.

You seem to be making up all these physical theories about flat spots and rigidity with no proof to back it up. Then when I ask for someone to share examples of when this has happened, you start name calling and making fun of where I live. Very nice.

Go ahead and think up all the theories about rigidity and flat spots that you want. You've not offered one shred of proof that this is real. Another user on ignore.

Dave

I don't think I know it all. Our humidity here is high in summer....I can't speak to Canadian humidity. You said the humidity travels to the steel belts. Well guess what...steel exposed to humidity causes rust. There is a word called inferring...and that's what I did.

You seem to be making up all these physical theories about flat spots and rigidity with no proof to back it up. Then when I ask for someone to share examples of when this has happened, you start name calling and making fun of where I live. Very nice.

Go ahead and think up all the theories about rigidity and flat spots that you want. You've not offered one shred of proof that this is real. Another user on ignore.

Dave

here is a theorie for a person like you-"get a life" ...man you have almost 3000 posts,go drive your car instead of wasting time on your pathetic replys.i only place posts to try and help others not cry-cry-cry.thank your lucky stars you have a shelby and enjoy some time with the car,now please do not waste my time and other members time anymore. :hysterical:

here is a theorie for a person like you-"get a life" ...man you have almost 3000 posts,go drive your car instead of wasting time on your pathetic replys.i only place posts to try and help others not cry-cry-cry.thank your lucky stars you have a shelby and enjoy some time with the car,now please do not waste my time and other members time anymore. :hysterical:

Kin, time to play nice, if you don't want to hear what Dave says, put him on ignore. We are all here for the same thing, and thats to share info/ideas on making our rides go farther, faster and last longer. We all come in here with a different background and with different life experiences. Dave had previously mentioned he worked in the tire business, so his experiences may be worth more than, say, mine (no tire industry experience here, just financial :) )

As for non-Canadians coming onto the board, it doesn't bother me. In terms of weather and driving conditions, I have more in common with someone from Vermont or New York State than I do with someone on Vancouver Island. The more input we have on these boards, the better.

As for long term protection of your tires, I'm not too worried. Many tire manufacturers and some auto makers have put recommended lives on tires (6 to 10 years, Ford for example is 6 years) and the highway administration may even make it a law in the US. I'll replace my tires every 6 years, I'd rather not take the chance of a blow-out during a burn-out ;)

Kin, time to play nice, if you don't want to hear what Dave says, put him on ignore. We are all here for the same thing, and thats to share info/ideas on making our rides go farther, faster and last longer. We all come in here with a different background and with different life experiences. Dave had previously mentioned he worked in the tire business, so his experiences may be worth more than, say, mine (no tire industry experience here, just financial :) )

As for non-Canadians coming onto the board, it doesn't bother me. In terms of weather and driving conditions, I have more in common with someone from Vermont or New York State than I do with someone on Vancouver Island. The more input we have on these boards, the better.

As for long term protection of your tires, I'm not too worried. Many tire manufacturers and some auto makers have put recommended lives on tires (6 to 10 years, Ford for example is 6 years) and the highway administration may even make it a law in the US. I'll replace my tires every 6 years, I'd rather not take the chance of a blow-out during a burn-out ;)

+1 smoothy. Chillout kingcobra Dave is a good fella.Canadian or American who cares :extinguish:

Kincobra,

Many of Daves posts have been very helpful to me. His input for new people with the Faq section and many other things on this site are very valueable. An apology my friend is in order here IMO. Lets be nice.

Thanks for your kind words smoothy. I have put him on ignore already.

+1 smoothy. Chillout kingcobra Dave is a good fella.Canadian or American who cares :extinguish:

Thanks for your nice response keith, I appreciate it.

Kincobra,

Many of Daves posts have been very helpful to me. His input for new people with the Faq section and many other things on this site are very valueable. An apology my friend is in order here IMO. Lets be nice.

Thank you Rob, I'm glad I can be of help to some on the board.

Dave

Archived