TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Locking Gas Cap

I took the SGT out to dinner last night and the parking lot was full. I usually try to park way out in the North 40 or as close as I can get w/o encountering any other cars when I park. Not so last night and I had to park in the "general population." Anyway, I came out and my gas fill door was open. I checked the cap and it was on tight and i'm imagining MAYBE just some little kid came by and did it. I don't think anyone put anything in there as i've driven it several miles already and it's all fine.

Made me think and I bought this locking gas cap from Ebay today. Anyone else get this? I thought I saw someone bring this up once before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...p;category=6779

Close call- it's always the first thing I buy on my vehicles

Not sure on that part number- I just picked up another Motorcraft # FC-1062 locking cap assy for the 08.

Same number works for both our 06 & 08 Stangs, price was around $40 buck from my dealer.

Hope this helps-

=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I took the SGT out to dinner last night and the parking lot was full. I usually try to park way out in the North 40 or as close as I can get w/o encountering any other cars when I park. Not so last night and I had to park in the "general population." Anyway, I came out and my gas fill door was open. I checked the cap and it was on tight and i'm imagining MAYBE just some little kid came by and did it. I don't think anyone put anything in there as i've driven it several miles already and it's all fine.

Made me think and I bought this locking gas cap from Ebay today. Anyone else get this? I thought I saw someone bring this up once before?

I got the Stant 11510 at Pep Boys for about $12. Works good and no one sees it but me ...

The lanyard slips off the original one pretty easy with a little heat and a small screwdriver, then onto the new one with the same technique.

I got the Stant 11510 at Pep Boys for about $12. Works good and no one sees it but me ...

The lanyard slips off the original one pretty easy with a little heat and a small screwdriver, then onto the new one with the same technique.

The one I got was FC-1062

post-8343-1244200037_thumb.jpg

post-8343-1244200037_thumb.jpg

The one I got was FC-1062

LK_Cap_1.jpg

The good thing about this one, for those of us under warranty, is that no dealer or Ford, will try to blame any fuel system issue on the cap. Don't laugh I've had it happen years ago when they tried to claim my fuel pump went bad because the aftermarket locking gas cap wasn't allowing the tank to pressurize properly or some such nonsense. Not sure if that was an isolated case of silliness but something to think about!

do it, i spent $20 for the piece of mind that if there is a jerk out there, no worries. someone in my area telling me how someone put diesel in his tank while he was on a date and killed his car. $20 now or a couple thousand later? you choose.

The good thing about this one, for those of us under warranty, is that no dealer or Ford, will try to blame any fuel system issue on the cap. Don't laugh I've had it happen years ago when they tried to claim my fuel pump went bad because the aftermarket locking gas cap wasn't allowing the tank to pressurize properly or some such nonsense. Not sure if that was an isolated case of silliness but something to think about!

Good point Jeff.

Steve

(JeffIsHereToo: Buying Motorcraft is like insurance against dealer/Ford intransigence)

Good point Jeff.

Steve

Ayuh. Of course if it gets to that level, a decent investigation is likely to reveal the Ford-backed product is manufactured to the same specs as (and by) Stant.

I understand the motive and the decision; just that my evaluation of the circumstances led to a different choice.

Cliff, are you insane? Call a cab next time ! :finger:

Does anyone know if this (the OEM one) would work on my '09 KR? I was talking to the dealership's parts guy, and he said that the only locking gas cap he has in the computer is not applicable for the '09. Don't remember the exact part number he mentioned.

Does anyone know if this (the OEM one) would work on my '09 KR? I was talking to the dealership's parts guy, and he said that the only locking gas cap he has in the computer is not applicable for the '09. Don't remember the exact part number he mentioned.

I've been using the the Motorcraft 8L3Z-9030-E locking gas cap on my 2007 GT500 since January 2009 without any problems. Should work on the KR as well as any S197 Mustang.

2 parts departments told me the same thing for my 2008, it didn't list a number at all so I had to provide him with the part # that I purchased for our 2006. The Motorcraft locking cap #FC-1062 works in place of all the 2005-2009 since they share the same fuel cap-

Close call! Good idea man. I need to order one of these up stat.

Ken

The FC1005 fuel cap advertised on ebay appears to have the lanyard attachment directed in the opposite direction of the fuel door hinge on the S197s. If you install it this way you may have to mess with the lanyard in order to get the fuel door closed. Of course you can always remove the lanyard, flip it over and re-install. Just make sure to wear mechanics gloves to keep from gouging your hand with the screw driver while removing the lanyard from the neck of the cap.

Or you can just get the 8L3Z-9030-E (a.k.a. FC-1062) with the lanyard directed in the right direction for the S197. IMO this is the better option. :yup:

LK_Cap_Instl_1.jpg

(JeffIsHereToo: Buying Motorcraft is like insurance against dealer/Ford intransigence)

Ayuh. Of course if it gets to that level, a decent investigation is likely to reveal the Ford-backed product is manufactured to the same specs as (and by) Stant.

I understand the motive and the decision; just that my evaluation of the circumstances led to a different choice.

Sure, it's no different, and the issue was BS, but do you want to argue that then and there, go to court, file a suit all because a dealer wants to make more off you with a repair out of your pocket and some guy at the warranty office is trying to save money that day?

When your car is under warranty it's always good to keep these things in mind and I think that was the point and not any personal slam on you or your choice.

Sure, it's no different, and the issue was BS, but do you want to argue that then and there, go to court, file a suit all because a dealer wants to make more off you with a repair out of your pocket and some guy at the warranty office is trying to save money that day?

When your car is under warranty it's always good to keep these things in mind and I think that was the point and not any personal slam on you or your choice.

Yeah, me too.

The idea is, when the service guy says, Uh-uh, if you can say you know there is no reasonable way for him to prove the cause was a different-branded piece, and quote the Magnusson-Moss Act at him, he'd probably reassess the situation. I think.

Two points. both valid, seems to me.

Cheers!

...the stant will work on all of the new mustangs, krs included, and yes indeed, stant is the largest manufacturer of oem gas caps, including the ones on our mustangs...........for the worry warts....if you ever run into an issue with a dealer, just slap on the old one and you're golden.....

2 parts departments told me the same thing for my 2008, it didn't list a number at all so I had to provide him with the part # that I purchased for our 2006. The Motorcraft locking cap #FC-1062 works in place of all the 2005-2009 since they share the same fuel cap-

Yep. Picked up the FC-1092 today and it works fine. Talking to the parts guys, they said that they run into this all the time (where something is marked as non-compatible when it really isn't) with the new computer system they have. But, they did say that they can make notes on the parts information section. They put in a note on the FC-1062, saying that it fit fine on an '09 KR.

BTW, it sure is nice to have a dealership who's parts and service departments are open on Saturday! No doubt part of that is due to the economy, and they want to get all the business they can, but back in the "old days", this was unheard of! I like it!!!!

Guessing the "1092" in 0058's message was a mistype for "1062"?

Any road, I went to my favorite dealer service department today. Asked for an oil change (to Full Synthetic) and tire rotation. They have recently merged with the dealer where I bought the coupe in Sept 2008. I guess they looked at the odometer (5,218 mi) and decided I was in for my first oil change, and said the first one is on them! Free!

So the parts department had no trouble dishing up an FC-1062, and the parts guy said he would charge me wholesale, so he could sleep tonight. Now I have a fully Ford-compatible locking gas cap on the convertible (1,012 mi). Money I would have spent on the oil change, y'see.

Glad I didn't go to Pep Boys for another Stant xx510 cap. BECAUSE, the key on the Ford item is two-way. Stant requires you orient the key the correct way to use it; Ford is kinder to fumbling idiots and allows entry either way. Now if I can just get it to hold still ...

I can't recommend the Stant locking cap, as when I got one ( for very cheap btw) the lock mechanism slid right out! Now we know why it was so cheap.

Spend the $ and get the Motorcraft one. With Premium gas approaching $4 again here they are going to be hard to find!

Archived