TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust hitting on speed bumps

No matter how carefully I try to go over a speed bump, it seems that the exhaust pipes under the car are always hitting the bumps...is there any way to raise them up some? When I look under the car, they are definately lower than anything else under there...just seems like Ford did not do a good job of tucking these things up under the car very well...

I've only scraped my exhaust once and it happened when someone was riding in the back seat. What an awful feeling that is !!

Wow, are these standard height (whatever that is) speed bump? I haven't had that problem, fortunately. Is your tire/wheel combo possibly more low profile than stock?

Wow, are these standard height (whatever that is) speed bump? I haven't had that problem, fortunately. Is your tire/wheel combo possibly more low profile than stock?

Yup, they appear to be a standard height with a flat top...no bounce over them, but when the pipes get to them, they scrape rather bad...changed stock SGT wheels and tires for GT500 Wheels and Tires, so yes, profile is just a little lower than stock, I'm sure...but when I look under the car, the exhaust pipes seem to really hang lower than anything else on the car...

Have the same problem. I swear the slower I go across them the more it feels like the car will get high centered.

My plan is to undo some of the Shelby suspension mods to gain a little more height. Basically a compromise between the Mustang GT's height and the lower SGT height.

Steve

Carl,

No more speed bumps, speed bumps are bad. Problem solved.

Chris

Well, I generally avoid them like the plague, but while we were in Dallas, the wife wanted to do a little shopping and it seems like every shopping center down there has added a bunch of speed bumps and there just isn't any way to avoid them if you want to park in their lot and shop...

The only drive in theater out here between Midland and Odessa installed some new speed bumps last year going into and out of the parking area, and my wife's Sonata bottoms out on them...I complained about the new speed bumps and they replied that I was only the 2nd person that had complained, and that the speed bumps were of "standard height"...yeah right...maybe for a 4X4, but not for a passenger car...

Have the same problem. I swear the slower I go across them the more it feels like the car will get high centered.

My plan is to undo some of the Shelby suspension mods to gain a little more height. Basically a compromise between the Mustang GT's height and the lower SGT height.

Steve

I won't be "undoing" any of the Shelby suspension, but I'm wondering if a custom muffler shop could tuck the exhaust up under the car a little better...going to look into that and see what I can find out...

No matter how carefully I try to go over a speed bump, it seems that the exhaust pipes under the car are always hitting the bumps...is there any way to raise them up some? When I look under the car, they are definately lower than anything else under there...just seems like Ford did not do a good job of tucking these things up under the car very well...

Personally I bought my SGT for the great suspension and handling Shelby put in the car. The lowering of the car greatly enhances handling with of course the trade-off being that speed bumps and parking bollards become your enemy. Both the Mustang GT and GT-500 sit so high compared to the SGT that they almost look like four wheel drive cars, but then again, they will clear those pesky speed bumps!!

:shift::drool:

Personally I bought my SGT for the great suspension and handling Shelby put in the car. The lowering of the car greatly enhances handling with of course the trade-off being that speed bumps and parking bollards become your enemy. Both the Mustang GT and GT-500 sit so high compared to the SGT that they almost look like four wheel drive cars, but then again, they will clear those pesky speed bumps!!

:shift::drool:

+1

We have a new speed bump at work that looks like a sidewalk instead of a standard speed bump. If I ever go over that thing it will certainly rip out the exhaust. I confronted the facilities engineer about it and he said it was standard height (but it is very wide).

I have also hit the bottom of the front fascia coming out of parking lots due to the rather deep storm culverts. You have to be careful driving these cars.

You can try hitting the bump at a 45 degree angle so that only one wheel is going over the bump at a time. It use to work in my 95 Cobra anyway.

I see your using the GT500 tire and wheel package. Is that wheel/tire combo shorter than the stock SGT wheel/tire height?

You can try hitting the bump at a 45 degree angle so that only one wheel is going over the bump at a time. It use to work in my 95 Cobra anyway.

I see your using the GT500 tire and wheel package. Is that wheel/tire combo shorter than the stock SGT wheel/tire height?

Yeah, I do believe that the tires do have just a little lower profile than the standard SGT tires, so I'm sure I've even lowered it a little more by putting the GT500 setup on it...

Guess I'm going to have to visit one of my local muffler shop guys to see if he can tuck the pipes up just a tad more for me...

I had this problem right after I had my shortys installed. I was dropping my kids off at school and scraped on the same speed bump I had driven over dozens of times with no problem. Took it back to my mechanic and he hoisted it up on the rack loosened the bolts where the headers attach to the exhaust and jacked up the exhaust before retightening. Problem solved.

+1

I turn into any speed bump at a 45 and typically don't have much trouble. My car is a little lower than stock, due to the Griggs setup.

Ken

Two options...

One, go on an angle over the speedbump or

Two, get Bobcat and remove speedbump :hysterical:

I need to drive my car more, cause not once have I thought of adjusting the suspension for a few now and again speed bumps. But then again its not my daily driver. Now i've hit some pretty nasty potholes that really caught my attention.

Archived