TEAM SHELBY FORUM

When do you need a new axle?

I was looking at the Stag 6 package offered by Evolution Performance and saw that they put in a Currie 9 inch if I am not misspelling that. At what point do we need to swap rear ends because of excessive power?

When this happens

I actually don't know the real answer though... :)

There really is no "need" for it, even with the 9" you still can break it with a set slicks and alittle to much rpm on a launch. I can think of two very built gt500 that have had 9" in them and they both broke them. I know for a fact one was built about as much as you can build one and it still failed.

It all depends on if you are gonna drag race the car or not, and if so what type of tire you are gonna run. A bone stock gt500 can break an axle with a high RPM launch and enough 'grip' at the dragstrip. Along with broken tranny's, clutches, etc. Of course higher HP and good traction are gonna break parts faster lol.

It all depends on if you are gonna drag race the car or not, and if so what type of tire you are gonna run. A bone stock gt500 can break an axle with a high RPM launch and enough 'grip' at the dragstrip. Along with broken tranny's, clutches, etc. Of course higher HP and good traction are gonna break parts faster lol.

Maybe that's why they put the plastic crap grip F1's on our cars...no traction = fewer warranty claims....lol

There really is no "need" for it, even with the 9" you still can break it with a set slicks and alittle to much rpm on a launch. I can think of two very built gt500 that have had 9" in them and they both broke them. I know for a fact one was built about as much as you can build one and it still failed.

Sorry I disagree. a 9 inch can be basic, somewhat built up and fully built, the number of parts avail are unbelievable........I'm talking from experience. a h/d housing ( not reg. ) and 35 spline axles with a nodular centre or a strange alum center section can handle 1500 hp..........I had one, it was bullitproof and from Currie Enterprises in California and was under my '82 Mustang GT. I currently have friends that run 6.90's -7.0's with 9 inch rears and run 2000 hp............these guys compete with billy glidden, livernois, etc.......yes they break parts but I have yet to hear from my bud he broke the rear end.

Sorry I disagree. a 9 inch can be basic, somewhat built up and fully built, the number of parts avail are unbelievable........I'm talking from experience. a h/d housing ( not reg. ) and 35 spline axles with a nodular centre or a strange alum center section can handle 1500 hp..........I had one, it was bullitproof and from Currie Enterprises in California and was under my '82 Mustang GT. I currently have friends that run 6.90's -7.0's with 9 inch rears and run 2000 hp............these guys compete with billy glidden, livernois, etc.......yes they break parts but I have yet to hear from my bud he broke the rear end.

A lot of it is from the weight of these cars just ask Harleydealer or Dan Schoneck what happened to there 9"s they both have had issues with them. We are not talking about light weight race cars. I agree they are great rear ends but to think you cant break a well built one with a 4k pound car is crazy thats all I was trying to get a across.

Archived