TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Calling All SGT Long Tube Header Modders

I'm thinking of doing the LT mod. I'd like to hear about the successes and/or problems from those who did this mod on their SGT before I make the decision.

Which brand did you go with?

What was the cost for just doing this mod?

What kind of power gains were made?

What problems were incurred during the installation?

How is the road clearance?

Cats of No Cats?

X or H pipe?

Sound changes from stock?

Did the engine have to come off both the motor mounts to do the install?

What made you go with long tubes instead of shorties or medium tubes?

Thanks!

Well I haven't done the LT's yet, but here's what I've heard from guys that have done it on a 3V.

The LT's make real gains, not just 5 or 10 HP in the mid-range like the shortys. I have JBA shortys and noticed no benefit.

You will lose some low end torque with LT's. If you go with 3" instead of 2 1/2" collector/x-pipe, you'll have slightly more low end loss, but slightly better mid-high gains.

In CA, I won't pass smog with LT's, even if they have cats, so I may as well go with the 'off-road' pipes anyway. I couldn't tell you how it would work in Ohio.

The engine must be hoisted and the K-member must be dropped to get them in. This is not a job for those without the proper tools.

As for brand, I've heard that Kooks and JBA's are the way to go, but have zero information that would explain why. Good luck.

Ken

1) personally i went with JBA

2) cost was parts only, my friend and i installed them.

3) power gains i'm not sure but compared to the JBA short tubes which i previously had the sound is INCREDIBLE

4) problems i incurred during installation were none

5) road clearance is fine, unless you plan on baja racing with them.

6) Stock X pipe but i regret this, i would go with a Mac Prochamber exhaust if i did it again.

7) sound change is incredible, mine did not sound as good to my ears as the following youtube link until the Novi2000 went in. I believe the X pipe and 3V gives our cars more a European V12 sound as opposed to muscle. It takes some work to make an S197 mustang to sound like the previous models.

8) engine had to be moved about an inch...which seems arbitrary but is a huge pain to move an engine to install something then put the engine back down.

9) the following link was what made me want to go with long tubes

Mickey Knauss built a Saleen mustang nearly identical to the police car used in the recent Transformers movie, he called it Barricade, which it is called in the movie. Although these guys are terrible drivers, just listen to the sound this mustang puts out, and almost no engine mods Mac Longtubes and Prochamber exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aH7SFbKjNw

watch the link, listen to the sound and then you can read about Mickey Knauss' "Barricade" at:

http://www.modernmustangmuscle.com/features/barricade.html

I'm thinking of doing the LT mod. I'd like to hear about the successes and/or problems from those who did this mod on their SGT before I make the decision.

Cats of No Cats?

X or H pipe?

Thanks!

If car has Supercharger than yea headers will benefit, but if stock then headers are a waste of money as no flow difference from stock manifolds as at least a couple of magazines have done this test when the 05's came out.

Cats of No Cats?

X or H pipe?

Thanks!

I was told when I purchased my 1 7/8 AR Headers with 3" OFF-X pipes to eliminate the Cats because they will eventually burn out. I got my headers with several other modifications, including a Whipple 3.4 blower. The sound and power is amazing. At first, it sounded too loud but now I love it!

Cats of No Cats?

X or H pipe?

Thanks!

1)American racing headers.

2)$1500 including HF catted x + $300 for the install

3)18.5 hp due to losing 1# of boost because of the reduction of back pressure.Since a # of boost = about 12.5 hp the gain would have been about 30hp @ the original 9# of boost.

4)none

5) very close to stock.

6) x

7)Big difference, had to lose the loudmouths I had installed and go with the FRPP(Borla stingers)

8) Not sure, One of the reasons I went with ARH was the fit.

9)About to go forged and I will need them.

i have yet to do long tubes myself, but i am planing on doing so. i did my research and like Ken said you will lose some low end torque. i asked my local mod shop and they said the dynatech LT's and off-road X wouldn't cause low end lose. but they could be jerking me aroud. i plan on talking to another mod shop near by and see what they say inregards to power. http://www.blowbyracing.com/dy20gt13suhe2.html here's the link to my mod shop website and the headers with X pipe. good luck, i'll post more info once i get it.

HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAAAAYYYY!! DUH DUH DAH DAH DAADAAAHHHH!!

i have a full SHELBY branded jba longtubes and full 3 inch exhaust system. here are some video's the pipes are branded shelby jba on the tips and sound amazing!

COST: 1700 for full system(go ceramic or power coated but really whatever floats your boat)

videos enjoy! please note its so loud my camera automatically limits the volume.

revving

from cockpit

drive by

:drool:

if you have any questions just ask i'll answer them as best as possible

give me a few and i'll post a picture of the tips

I had JBA's in my 05 and now I have American Racing LT's.... Hands down for me the ARH are superior. The quality and sound are insane. Get tons of compliments about my exhaust set up all the time. DO yourself a favor and go with ARH along with the H pipe. X pipe is too exotic sounding for my taste anyway. GL with your choice.

Archived