TEAM SHELBY FORUM

caster/camber plates

has anybody installed caster and camber plates on their gt-h or shelby gt?

my front tires are extremely worn on the inside. the tire store

said that my front end couldn't be aligned properly without installing the

plates. thanks in advance.

I'm planning on installing some Maximum Motorsports CC plates on my SGT soon, I too notice the inside of my front wheels being worn since my SGT is a DD it will save me some time on the tires in the long run.

Having the same issue. Talked with Ford Racing today, there's 2 ways tou can go,

cas/cam plates on the top of the struts, or a bolt kit for the lower part of the strut.

The plates are pretty expensive & require strut & spring removal. The bolt kit runs

anywhere from $90 (the cheapest ive seen) to around $133 from the Ford site. It

appears you have to elongate one of the holes in the lower strut for the bolt kit. I'm

considering letting the dealer do it, although i'd rather do it myself, but the price may

stop me. Anybody use the 4R3Z-3B236-AB bolt kit?

I put the Maximum Motorsports CC plates on my SGT-SC and they work perfectly. The money you spend on these plates will save you money you will waste on tires many times over. A no-brainer IMO.

Having the same issue. Talked with Ford Racing today, there's 2 ways tou can go,

cas/cam plates on the top of the struts, or a bolt kit for the lower part of the strut.

The plates are pretty expensive & require strut & spring removal. The bolt kit runs

anywhere from $90 (the cheapest ive seen) to around $133 from the Ford site. It

appears you have to elongate one of the holes in the lower strut for the bolt kit. I'm

considering letting the dealer do it, although i'd rather do it myself, but the price may

stop me. Anybody use the 4R3Z-3B236-AB bolt kit?

that's exactly what i found through my research today. i'm going with the bolt kit from steeda.

Wouldnt you consider having it done under warranty?

have you spoken with someone at ford to confirm that it would be covered under warranty?

i'll call my ford dealer tomorrow to double check. that would definitely be easier on the pocket

Havent actually talked with a dealer personally, plan to later in the week. Although

I believe ive read in the forum previously others have had their tire wear problem

taken care of with the 4R3Z kit at a dealer, whether under warranty or not im not

absolutley sure, but im going to try to get Ford to pay first.

I don't think that you'll find this to be a warranty item. In fact, this issue has been discussed on this forum before, probably back in '07. I believe that your going to find out that the Shelby GT has greater negative camber by design. If you get rid of it, you will save on tire wear, but at the expense of some handling - the car will have more understeer.

I don't think that you'll find this to be a warranty item. In fact, this issue has been discussed on this forum before, probably back in '07. I believe that your going to find out that the Shelby GT has greater negative camber by design. If you get rid of it, you will save on tire wear, but at the expense of some handling - the car will have more understeer.

I have to at least try to get Ford to take care of this, I dont feel burning up tires in 10k

miles is acceptable, if they wont, i'll do it myself. Whereas I agree our cars neg. camber

does enhance handling, I think you could probably bring the specs in somewhere between

good handling & decent tire wear. Too much neg. camber, can also be a detriment to

handling. My rt. side wheel is definitely too neg., it may be good for the track, but for

the type of cruisin & occasional spirited driving i'll do, tire wear is more important.

I have to at least try to get Ford to take care of this, I dont feel burning up tires in 10k

miles is acceptable, if they wont, i'll do it myself. Whereas I agree our cars neg. camber

does enhance handling, I think you could probably bring the specs in somewhere between

good handling & decent tire wear. Too much neg. camber, can also be a detriment to

handling. My rt. side wheel is definitely too neg., it may be good for the track, but for

the type of cruisin & occasional spirited driving i'll do, tire wear is more important.

Well, it's sure worth a try and I hope you're successful! Let us know of course.

i recently installed some strut camber plates on my hertz vert so i can adjust my camber in order to prevent pre-mature tire wear.

the inside of my front tires were bald.

has anybody else done this? if so what are your alignment specs.

thanks in advance

z

i recently installed some strut camber plates on my hertz vert so i can adjust my camber in order to prevent pre-mature tire wear.

the inside of my front tires were bald.

has anybody else done this? if so what are your alignment specs.

A word to any of you who think you might want to autocross your SGT - camber plates will take you out of Stock class, the bolt kit will not.

As the SGT is the "car to have" for SCCA F-Stock, you might want to consider it. Most other autocross clubs base their rules on SCCA.

And BTW, an occasional autocross might even up that tire wear ^_^

Another aspect of which solution to use is the wear on the factory upper strut bearing. These failed often on the 2007 and earlier cars - especially those with handling paks or spring rate changes. When they fail, the car will make a popping noise as the strut is compressed and extended. The tires will also wear differently as the alignment will be changed due to the slop in the bearing. You get a new upper strut bearing with the adjustable camber caster plates.

• 4 weeks later...

$24.99 for this bolt kit from JEGS- I'll be using these on the Shelby until I decide what the future holds for the front suspension in the coming year.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Specialty+Products/827/81260/10002/-1

I've been running the Steeda CC plate's (pictured below) on the Roush for a couple of years now with satisifing results. They were one of the first on the market, now days there are many more to choose from-

upper_strut_mount_s197_550.jpg

$24.99 for this bolt kit from JEGS- I'll be using these on the Shelby until I decide what the future holds for the front suspension in the coming year.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Specialty+Products/827/81260/10002/-1

I've been running the Steeda CC plate's (pictured below) on the Roush for a couple of years now with satisifing results. They were one of the first on the market, now days there are many more to choice from-

upper_strut_mount_s197_550.jpg

Those Steeda plates have been around awhile for sure. Have you had any issue with them or are they holding up fine?

Are you thinking of doing the Griggs front SLA sometime soon Kerry? ;)

Ken

Those Steeda plates have been around awhile for sure. Have you had any issue with them or are they holding up fine?

Are you thinking of doing the Griggs front SLA sometime soon Kerry? ;)

Ken

The Steeda's have about 12k miles on them with no issues at all- the alignment shop enjoyed the ease of adjustability..

Griggs upgrade with the SN95 spindles- time will tell ;)

=-=-=-=-=-=-

The QA1 caster/camber plates arrived from Summit today. However, the instructions specify that they will not work with 'factory struts' and are only compatible with QA1 struts. Anyone have experience with these? Is this just a trick to get people to buy their struts or is there really a reason why these won't work with the FRPP struts? :headscratch:

Ken

Archived