TEAM SHELBY FORUM

In search of advice from fellow Shelby owners.

shelbygt101

I put my 2007 Shelby GT into a Ford "trusted" auto body/paint shop to have a scratch and dent taken care of. It was supposed to take a total of a week to fix but ended up going two. I finally get my car back on May 30th and on May 31st I noticed that it had an additional 400 miles on it. Now, it's quite obvious that someone in the shop took my ride out for a very long spin. The two weeks that it was "in" the shop, one of the weekends happened to be the Memorial Day weekend. I plan on going back to the shop and talk to the manager about it, but I'm wondering what good that would do. Legal actions? Anyone got any good advice on how to handle these mugs?

Not ony would I complain to the shop, but I would notify Ford immediately. I would not hesitate to get someone fired for that.

Just FYI: I had the same sort of worries about my Corvette being in the shop, so I always took a picture of the odometer with a copy of the top section of that day's newspaper alongside it as proof of mileage and date. I learned that trick at the Sheriff's academy.

Wow, I would be super pissed about that.

Chris

I am glad I have Lo-Jack. If I keep the FOB I am alerted as soon as it moves. That would make me very upset to say the least. Hope there was no damage done.

No, no damage done. Just can't believe that these were people who came highly recommended and trusted, and this crap happens.

Not ony would I complain to the shop, but I would notify Ford immediately. I would not hesitate to get someone fired for that.

Just FYI: I had the same sort of worries about my Corvette being in the shop, so I always took a picture of the odometer with a copy of the top section of that day's newspaper alongside it as proof of mileage and date. I learned that trick at the Sheriff's academy.

Pretty much what I had in mind. Thanks for the tip, will definately use that method next time I drop it off.

FROM A LEGAL STAND POINT IT WOULD BE TOUGH TO PROVE. HOWEVER WHEN YOUR

VEHICLE WAS TAKEN IN TO SERVICE THEY SHOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU A WORK ORDER

WITH THE MILES AT THE TIME IN WAS TAKEN IN. I WAS A SERVICE MANAGER FOR TWO

FORD DEALERS BEFORE GOING TO CORPORATE AND I BELIEVE ALMOST ALL FORD SERVICE

DEPARTMENTS RECORD MILEAGE IN N OUT ; WHEN DROPPED OFF N PICKED UP. I WOULD

START THERE 1ST. IF YOU CAN PROVE THAT THEY DROVE YOUR VEHICLE I BELIEVE THAT

YOU CAN CHARGE THEM FOR THE MILES PUT ON YOUR CAR BASED ON THE MONTHLY

PAYMENT YOU MAKE AND ON THE MILES YOU AVERAGE PER MONTH OR YEAR DIVIDED

BY 12 MTHS. ALL I CAN SAY IS I WOULD HAVE SOMEONES ASS ON THE CHOPPING

BLOCK WITH A CALL TO FORD CORPORATE EXECUTIVE HEADQUARTERS AND NOT

THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HUNTING !!!

SCOTTY

All I need is the Lat / Longs and my boys on the ground can lase the target long enough to put warheads on foreheads. We can put a (GBU-28) right up their kazoo. :lol: I'm just kidding, Im a peace freak really. .... or am I? What ever the outcome I hope the mofo(s) who put the 400 miles on it get the chop

post-12648-1243828701_thumb.jpg. <--------------- I think it was this guy.

post-12648-1243828701_thumb.jpg

Simple tell them YOU need a 2010 GT500 vert for the forth of July weekend or you are going to SUE the dealer into oblivion for no reason other to cost them money beacause of what "happened" to your car and tell them that with a card from your attorney... :hysterical:

Or be completley unleashed and find the guy/gal and spend a few days in jail for assault.

Or Consult a santeria voodoo person for a voodoo attack.

Or be cool and ask for a GT 500 for the weekend anyway.... :hysterical: seems only fair dude.

I don't know what I'd do. That's CRAZY!!! Those were 400 "rental car" miles. I write down my milage on 2 post it notes. One I take with me. and the other I leave strategically placed over the Tach. I like to let them see me doing this too.

400 miles? Oh, hell no!!!! Makes you wonder who drove the car besides the person who took it from the dealer, maybe burnouts or other rev matching and all sorts of stuff might of have happened while they were driving your car. Make sure all your Shelby parts are still on the car.

Yeah, a 2010 GT500 for the weekend would make things even.

worst case scenario 400 miles of pure hell look @ the top of the work order that shows incheck mileage and usually shows out miles.

Sounds like that dealership has a problem with respecting peoples prized possesions. what is done is done so now thew owe you compensation... maybe some parts or accessories for free or @ cost... If it was me I would find the person and get my point across hopefully having some self restraint..

"Yeah, a 2010 GT500 for the weekend would make things even." ??????

NO NO NO

There should be no "oops we got caught, so here's a little something in return". What they did is criminal and I would press this issue to FORD and a lawyer. If someone gets caught robbing a bank, do they just have to return the money and all is forgiven? Your car was given in good faith to a repair facility. If it was used in any other manner except to repair it, that is theft. Its a criminal offense.

If I ever accepted a 2010 GT500 as a fair exchange, it would be for the same length (two weeks) and you can bet it would have 6000 miles on it when I got back from my coast to coast joyride.

400 miles? Oh, hell no!!!! Makes you wonder who drove the car besides the person who took it from the dealer, maybe burnouts or other rev matching and all sorts of stuff might of have happened while they were driving your car. Make sure all your Shelby parts are still on the car.

Yeah, a 2010 GT500 for the weekend would make things even.

Dumbys!!

All the guys had to do was put the rear end on jack stands and put the car is reverse and drive it until the miles were back to where they started!!! (Another Feuris Bueller reference for yall)

It sucks and it should NEVER happen!! We have had employee take a USED truck for a night. We would have NEVER know but hes NOT a smart guy. He went out and went mudding. He could have come in the next day, washed it (he was the wash guy) and put it back and we would have NEVER KNOWN!!! But he parked it in the very back of the lot and let it sit for a few days. We saw it and he admitted to doing it!

He had pocketed the key before we went home!

Not saying its NOT the dealers or owners fault, but some min wage JERK could have taken the key and picked the car up after closing and brought it back before opening Monday! I WOULDNT call the place and give them a chance to cover anything up. I would just show up and ask them for the work order and hope they wrote the in and out miles on it!!

Good Luck

MM

Get in touch with your state Motor Vehicle Dept. We have a Division of Dealers & Repair in our state.

Make sure you can prove the mileage "in", file a complaint. Of course you should speak to upper

management first & see how they may want to compensate you, but they cant be allowed to get away

with this!

400 miles is an awful lot of miles. Any chance you misread the odometer?

Was the mileage written on the work order or are you going by memory?

I'm not saying it didn't happen but unless you caught it right when you picked the car up its going to be hard to prove, especially to a dealer that let it happen.

If you are 100% confident that 400 miles were put on the car during its stay at the dealership I would talk to the service manager first and if not satisfied talk to the general manager.

My feeling is that they will be more open to resolving this before it gets to any outside agencies. If you immediately go to Ford corporate or another agency I suspect they will just go into 100% denial mode and your complaint will be unresolved as not being able to be proven.

This doesn't mean that you can't complain to corporate Ford at a later date but I would sure try for an amicable resolution from the dealership before cornering them with outside agencies.

Steve

Just wanted to say thanks to all who read and gave their opinions on what I should do about these mugs.

I confronted the management in a calm and professional manner. The personnel working on my ride fessed up on taking it out of the shop and cruised down to frickin' Virginia Beach.

What did I get out of the deal? Free painted on racing stripes. 400 extra miles on my car for a free $1200 paint job. After it's done I'm still reporting their carcasses!

Just wanted to say thanks to all who read and gave their opinions on what I should do about these mugs.

I confronted the management in a calm and professional manner. The personnel working on my ride fessed up on taking it out of the shop and cruised down to frickin' Virginia Beach.

What did I get out of the deal? Free painted on racing stripes. 400 extra miles on my car for a free $1200 paint job. After it's done I'm still reporting their carcasses!

Even that is unacceptable to me! 400 miles of abuse = engine, transmission, clutch, etc.! I say throw the book at them!

Look at it this way, if you took your wife/girlfriend to a doctor and his male nurse "had his way with her", would you settle-up for some free plastic surgery enhancements?

Granted, that's an extreme example, but...

I think they owe you a new car or lifetime free maintenance at the Ford dealer/mechanic of your choice, plus the culprits should be made to apologize, then fired on the spot!

Just my .02 worth!

Sam

AKA:

I put my 2007 Shelby GT into a Ford "trusted" auto body/paint shop to have a scratch and dent taken care of. It was supposed to take a total of a week to fix but ended up going two. I finally get my car back on May 30th and on May 31st I noticed that it had an additional 400 miles on it. Now, it's quite obvious that someone in the shop took my ride out for a very long spin. The two weeks that it was "in" the shop, one of the weekends happened to be the Memorial Day weekend. I plan on going back to the shop and talk to the manager about it, but I'm wondering what good that would do. Legal actions? Anyone got any good advice on how to handle these mugs?

When you brang the car they put down the mileage !!

You can have the guy arrested for unauthorized!!! I have arrested a mechanic for that he happened to be driving this guy's jag. I was going lights and siren everyone stop and drove one the wrong side of the road bam!!!

Hmmmm, those stripes better have a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car, $1200 is not enough for what happened, especially like some one has mentioned if he drove it like he stole it.....Maybe paying for a SC may satisfy things, well, we know that won't happen but hey, gotta try. I think a SC is way less $$$ lost than if word got out that such things as joy rides happens at that dealership and its ok by management.

That is absolutely insane! Don't these idiots know that what they did was UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF A MOTOR VEHICLE which is a felony? Simply the dumbest stunt I have ever heard of from a auto shop. They are probably young and dumb so perhaps getting LEO involved is not warranted but that shop definitely should be kissing your butt :bowdown: and should probably give you a $4,000 paint job, not just racing stripes.

Archived