TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can anyone recommend a good Carroll Shelby Biography?

StratGirl

My kids got me "Shelby: The Man, The Cars, The Legend" for Christmas and I thought it was an excellent read. Lots of references from interviews, articles and features from the 60's on.....good book, check it out.

My kids got me "Shelby: The Man, The Cars, The Legend" for Christmas and I thought it was an excellent read. Lots of references from interviews, articles and features from the 60's on.....good book, check it out.

All the reviews on Amazon say that one is poorly written and factually inaccurate. :headscratch:

I wish SAI would throw a current version into their merch lineup (or, of course, have a new one written, but i won't hold my breath).

I think the first is still the best; The Cobra Story. You'll have to dig it up in the secondary market, but it gives good history on the man.

Ha, it's going for up to $208.50 on Amazon, and it was published in 1965(!). I'm looking for one that encompasses at least some of the last 40 years.

It was in print on and off for a number of years. My copy is from around 1978 and I paid about $20 for it...back in '78. Look on ebay and elsewhere, I doubt that Amazon will give you a large cross section of what is out there.

I will also suggest 'Snake Bit', the story of the Series 1 debacle. It also gives some idea as to Carrolls health and involvement in what could have been a good program except for the corporate politics, kinda like what ran him out of Ford in the late '60s.

I have, and enjoyed, Shelby: The man, the cars, the legend. I would say that reading them, as well as the Shelbys Wildlife book by Wallace Wyss (as mentioned earlier) would help give you an idea of his life story, but not all of it...as is seems that there is still much to be written.

I guess what I'm saying is that Carroll is not only bigger than life, but he's bigger than one book. Reading one of them will not give you a complete picture of his life, but I'm not sure reading all of them will, either. He continues to create, impress and endure. The stories of his life may be more myth than reality, but I sincerely doubt it. And if there were ever a movie about him, I can't imagine how long it would be...but then, like I said about the books...no one movie could ever encompass what Shelby is, was, or will be.

Archived