TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which Driving Schools Do You Recommend?

Any recommendations, especially near Michigan?

Can I use my own car, or will I have to use a car provided by the school?

I've read a little on this topic, but not much, so any advice you guys can provide would be much appreciated. :lurk:

My dad and I would like to do this together before we track our cars for the first time. :shift:

Paul

I've read a little on this topic, but not much, so any advice you guys can provide would be much appreciated. :lurk:

My dad and I would like to do this together before we track our cars for the first time. :shift:

Paul

I'd be interested in this too.

From what I have read most schools provide the cars, but they are kinda expensive... the schools.

But I'd be interested to hear what you guys say too.

A friend of mine tracks his Shelby GT all the time in California, goes up to Willow Springs. He tells me I should just go to a track and "do it." But I've always been afraid I'd wind up smashing my car up hehe.

Paul

I took the Skip Barber Intro to racing class with my son at Laguna Seca in Monterey. It's three hours total with classroom time and about an hour of track time. We drove Mazda MX-5's. Now worries about banging up your own car while learning. It's a little intimidating at first but you'll love it. Once you get your car on the track you'll be hooked.

I think they have a track in Michigan.

skipbarber.com

Thanks for the input, guys.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

:lurk:

Aiy Matie! I do at that.

Actually just a bit of expounding on what someone briefly mentioned above. I think the best way to start is to look up the local or regional NASA organization and get involved in their HPDE (High Performance Driver Education) events. They are very structured, with 4 skill levels. The first two levels require an instructor in your car at all times. And this is a good thing. You can never stop learning and often need reminders when you slip back to some "old habits". Before being cleared to Solo, your instructor must sign off on your abilities, so his name is on the line if you turn out to be a bad apple.

All of this will be in your own car (excepting ride-alongs with your instructor; which I highly recommend) and at a variety of tracks in your region.

Also if the "Track Guys" (formerly SVTOA) are anywhere close to you with one of their events; definitely go! They run their events very similar to NASA and are a great group of instructors who also happen to know and love high performance mustangs!

Enjoy, be safe and HAVE FUN!

The best schools I ever did were SCCA Driving Schools. You can rent a car of your choice from another racer (there's always guys around who will do this), or use your own car (which has to meet certain safety requirements). These are 2.5 day schools which end with an actual race between your classmates (at least they used to). You also end up w/ an SCCA competition license when you're done with 2 schools.

Everything everyone has said here is true. It really depends on your goal? You say you want to track your GT 500 but then you say you want to go to a driving school first? Are you looking to improve your driving skills or just take your shelby on a road race track once? If you want to spend a lot of $, and get excellent driving skills, go to Bondurant (i've been twice) or Skip Barber or Panoz, etc. they have proffesional drivers that do this everyday teaching you and you use their cars. Highly recommended but costly. Or hook up with the SCCA, NASA, PCA (porsche club of america) , BMW etc. as they have DE (drivers education) classes that usually last an entire weekend and you can use your own car (or possibly rent someones car for a fee). These are not races or timed events, but drivers education entirely. Keep in mind the 'teachers' at these events are usually just local people who have weekend open track experience or road race experience, and some are better than others. You do get what you pay for as these events are relatively cheap. Don't misunderstand me though, the DE events will teach you a great deal about car control that you do not know now and i recommend to anyone who has never been to one. As a matter of fact, i am having my girlfriend do a DE this fall and using her mustang. I have been to bondurant twice, attended many weekend DE classes in my own mustang, and since i race w/ the SCCA I now am in the pro class w/ the DE events and do not need a 'coach' ride along with me. I actually could teach if i so chose. Be forwarned...... it is addictive lol. Hope this helps.

Paul

From the green banner ad at the top of the Team Shelby page under On Track Events.

Track Guys On Track at GingerMan July 17-18-19.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/eve...AC1EA280AC0974B

Archived