TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hi Temp Brake Fluid

So, now that several of you SGT owners have installed hi-temp brake fluid and have some experience with it, what are the recommendations? I'm getting ready to order my S/S lines and Hawk pads, and I need to get the fluid also.

I think the choices are narrowed down to Motul, ATE or Castrol SRF?

AP Racing also has a DOT 3 fluid rated to 527 degrees F.

Lastly, how much will I need to purchase for a complete replacement and fill?

Any help will be apprecated!

So, now that several of you SGT owners have installed hi-temp brake fluid and have some experience with it, what are the recommendations? I'm getting ready to order my S/S lines and Hawk pads, and I need to get the fluid also.

I think the choices are narrowed down to Motul, ATE or Castrol SRF?

AP Racing also has a DOT 3 fluid rated to 527 degrees F.

Lastly, how much will I need to purchase for a complete replacement and fill?

Any help will be apprecated!

AP Racing also has a Super 600 brake fluid with a dry boiling point in excess of 572 deg F. This is one of the best brake fluids available, and is used in NASCAR, and other racing series.

Another excellent fluid is the Motul RBF600. I carry both fluids along with the AP Racing Ultra 5.1, which is the 527 degree fluid you referenced in your post. All 3 fluids are rated at DOT 5.1, which means that they have DOT 5 boiling point or higher, but in a non silicone based fluid.

The AP Super 600 fluid sells for $24.30/bottle, the Motul RBF600 is $18.07/bottle, and AP Ultra 5.1 is $11.73/bottle. You need 3 bottles for a complete flush, and I keep all 3 fluids in stock.

http://www.brake-pros.com/brakefluids.asp

http://www.apracing.com/info/info.asp?sect...luid+Details_48

What Hawk pads are you looking at, and how are you using the car?

Dan

ATE Super BLUE - Makes it real easy to see when each line is completely flushed...

Although I do have 3 bottles of the AP Ultra 5.1, I didn't think I had enough to do a complete flush... So I purchased the ATE stuff when I ordered my HAWK Track Pads...

Now I have enough left of each (and in different colors) to flush the system once a year... As well as, being able to bleed the brakes right before each day at the track...

Gregg

07SGT0547

ATE Super BLUE - Makes it real easy to see when each line is completely flushed...

Although I do have 3 bottles of the AP Ultra 5.1, I didn't think I had enough to do a complete flush... So I purchased the ATE stuff when I ordered my HAWK Track Pads...

Now I have enough left of each (and in different colors) to flush the system once a year... As well as, being able to bleed the brakes right before each day at the track...

Gregg

07SGT0547

+1 ATE Super is in mine...Blue at the moment, but have Gold for next flush. Motive power bleeder is one of the best investments I have ever made!

http://store.motiveproducts.com/shared/Sto...ount2=385856270

What Hawk pads are you looking at, and how are you using the car?

Dan

Dan - thanks for the info. Mostly I use my car for puttering around town :hysterical:, however, on rare occasion (once or twice a year) I autocross it, and this coming October I am doing a track day. :shift: So, my plan is to install Hawk HP Plus pads for the track day along w/ the Baer Decelerator rotors (which I have already purchased) and the hi-temp fluid.

+1 ATE Super is in mine...Blue at the moment, but have Gold for next flush. Motive power bleeder is one of the best investments I have ever made!

http://store.motiveproducts.com/shared/Sto...ount2=385856270

Pony, does this type of bleeder use a bladder or air to force the fluid. If it air then the air can enter the brake fluid. I am interested in a power bleeder so please let me know which type of system this is.

Thank you

I've gone ahead and ordered all the other stuff (s/s lines, pads, fluid and speed bleeders)!! I went for the ATE as I like the idea of seeing the new fluid color as it replaces the old.

edit - I won't actually be installing all this stuff until October when I go down south for my track day. A friend of mine has an auto repair business so we'll just do it all w/ his lift and equipment. The following day we head over to Summit Point WV for the track day.

Then I'll return to CT and essentially be putting the SGT away for the winter again :cry:

Archived