TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Moroso aluminum air/oil separator install

I just received the new oil catch can last night. Since my SGT is still at the paint shop, I won't be able to actually install this thing till early next week.

But I'll use this thread, instead of the other one, just as a DIY install guide.

Ken

p.s. Thanks again to Andrew for the heads up on the Moroso can!

Here's what it looked like out of the Summit Racing box. No hosing, no install sheet, just the can:

DSC05839.jpg

Here's a shot from the top down, showing the internal stand pipe and the filter element:

DSC05840.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, same one I installed a year ago. Used the heavy steel braided line too. Drain it every month. I'm glad the oily air is not being sent back down the intake now.

A few questions.

What's the UPR look like inside and does it use any filter material?

What type of filter material is used in the Moroso separator?

What does the Moroso cap look like underneath - does it use an O-ring to seal?

A few questions.

What's the UPR look like inside and does it use any filter material?

What type of filter material is used in the Moroso separator?

What does the Moroso cap look like underneath - does it use an O-ring to seal?

Hmm.. I should have snagged a photo inside the UPR too, I guess.

They both have a filter element inside. The Moroso element is a lot softer and fills almost the entire container.

The UPR filter is only in the top 1/2 and looks like steel wool to me. There are 3 parts to the UPR can. The bottom part is the 'catch', where the oil collects. The middle part is the threaded coupler between the top and bottom parts. It's threaded with rubber o-rings on each side. When the middle piece is threaded out completely, a thin, perforated, metal disc pops out. That disc is what sandwiches the filter above the middle section, inside of the top section (if that makes sense).

There is a large rubber seal under the Moroso's twist/lock cap (similar to a rad cap) FYI.

Ken

Well the UPR can turned out to be a bust. It's not designed to be used properly on the 05-09. It turns out that the UPR can will work out great for my 66, since the barbed fittings on that can match the fittings on my breather cap and air filter housing.

Anyway, I removed it tonight and installed the Moroso can after all. I tracked down the AN fittings, clamps, and hose at a local shop called American Street Rod. Those guys were really super friendly and helpful. I always prefer to have this kind of stuff in my hands before buying it, so I really lucked out running across this place locally.

Anyway, I routed the inlet hose around the back on the intake, as you'll notice in these pics. And I routed the outlet hose around the front of the engine, tying it off to the radiator hose, so it wouldn't interfere with the fans or pulleys. I used traditional worm gear clamps at the engine. The hose came by suggestion of the guys at the street rod shop. They said it'll hold up as well as anything, which worked out nicely for me, since I like the style of this stuff better than braided lines. The style of this can has started to grow on me and I like the way it turned out.

Ken

DSC06229.jpg

DSC06238.jpg

DSC06245.jpg

DSC06246.jpg

DSC06247.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I checked the drain on this can for the first time since installing it almost a month ago.

I didn't expect a whole lot, so I grabbed this small cap from an empty bottle in the garage (pictured below).

You'll notice that it's full to the brim with oil. I collected a total of 6 cap-fuls of oil. I'm not sure what the measurement is, but it was a whole ton more than I expected.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that this little thing is doing it's job really well.

Ken

DSC06805.jpg

I didn't expect to see so much in only a month. I wonder why Ford omits an OEM catch can?

I certainly didn't expect that much either. I'll keep ya posted on whether it gets better or worse.

How do you have the can attached?

Just a clamp around the bottom AN reducer. It's wedged in there pretty good too. It doesn't move a bit.

Ken

I certainly didn't expect that much either. I'll keep ya posted on whether it gets better or worse.

Just a clamp around the bottom AN reducer. It's wedged in there pretty good too. It doesn't move a bit.

Ken

Ken,

I was looking at the group buy for the UPR can and have a couple of questions.

Do you really need this part if your car is driven under normal conditions, i.e. not raced.

How often should you drain it and how do you drain it? Trying to learn. Thanks,

Dave

Ken,

I was looking at the group buy for the UPR can and have a couple of questions.

Do you really need this part if your car is driven under normal conditions, i.e. not raced.

How often should you drain it and how do you drain it? Trying to learn. Thanks,

Dave

I don't really race my car all that often. It's only seen the track a total of 8 or 9 days.

In my opinion, this is a needed mod, no matter how your SGT is used. The Moroso can has a small drain built into the front of it.

The bottom half of the UPR can unscrews from the top, so that you can dump the oil out. The filter is built into the top half of that can. It's actually a little easier to deal with than the Moroso drain.

Hope that helps!

Ken

I don't really race my car all that often. It's only seen the track a total of 8 or 9 days.

In my opinion, this is a needed mod, no matter how your SGT is used. The Moroso can has a small drain built into the front of it.

The bottom half of the UPR can unscrews from the top, so that you can dump the oil out. The filter is built into the top half of that can. It's actually a little easier to deal with than the Moroso drain.

Hope that helps!

Ken

Ken..Dumb question, but if there is no catch can now...where is the oil going currently?? never thought about this mod but Im In

It's getting dumped right into your intake manifold, gumming up the inside of it, coating your charge motion plates/valves, and through your heads. Check this thread for some pics of what the oil looks like after collecting in the intake and charge plates for awhile: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=44154&hl=

Ken

• 2 months later...
Forgive my ignorance, and Zombie Threading.

How does this badboy drain?

It's got a small fitting welded into the bottom/front of the can and includes a blue AN cap for this drain fitting.

Pull the cap, tip the can, that's it. :)

Ken

Hard to see in the pics, but it looks like the hose goes from the PCV valve on the Passenger Cam Cover to the lower fitting on the can, up through the filter media then out the highest fitting to the manifold?

Is the cap just for inspection purposes?

Yep. You can open it up to see how much oil, if any, has collected and whether you need to drain.

Ken

So since it enters through the bottom, wouldn't it have to push through the pool of oil that's sitting there? Or drainback issues?

No, not at all. They designed it so that the oily air (under pressure mind you) is forced in through the bottom of the can through a straight pipe in the center of the can.

The filter media surrounds this pipe in a separate chamber. So the oily air goes straight up through the pipe, then down through the filter media. The oil itself then falls through the filter into the bottom of the outside chamber, completely isolated from the inlet at the bottom of the can. The drain of course is the only way for the oil to escape, unless you just didn't empty the can for a really, really long time. Hope that clears it up for you.

Ken

No, not at all. They designed it so that the oily air (under pressure mind you) is forced in through the bottom of the can through a straight pipe in the center of the can.

The filter media surrounds this pipe in a separate chamber. So the oily air goes straight up through the pipe, then down through the filter media. The oil itself then falls through the filter into the bottom of the outside chamber, completely isolated from the inlet at the bottom of the can. The drain of course is the only way for the oil to escape, unless you just didn't empty the can for a really, really long time. Hope that clears it up for you.

Ken

Perfect. Now it all makes sense. :hysterical:

Gonna guinea pig one for my 03, then slap one on the GT5.

Thanks for the info!

Last one.

Seriosuly. :yup:

Did you use -12 AN hose/fittings or reduce it to -10 or so?

I actually reduced it way down to -8 I believe, which looks pretty goofy.

I recently purchased smaller nipples so that I can cut the original ones out and weld these smaller ones in their place.

I'm not much of an aluminum welder, however, so that may be a few weeks off yet.

Good luck!

Ken

looks good ken i hope this fixes up the issues you have had with it.

Actually, this is the source of my issues. The hose entering the bottom of this can was kinked shut, not allowing a vent for my crankcase pressure.

Right now I have this air/oil can pulled out of the car, begrudgingly so mind you. I hate the thought of all that oil gumming up my intake and heads, but I need to figure out a better way to mount the thing (closer to the source), before I re-install it.

Ken

Archived