TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Camaro SS? Not living up to its heritage!

Caught a gorgeous black SS on the highway today.

I went to look at one last week at my local dealer (because I do think the exterior is gorgeous) but the god-awful interior sickened me, and I got out quickly and never looked back.

So I'm on the highway this morning (you know, that deserted highway in Mexico...) and I see a snarling SS grille coming up behind me at a quick pace. He saw the Shelby stripes from a distance, and he wanted to play.

So I'm doing about 65 when he aligns himself next to me on my right, and I rev-match for a smooth downshift to 3rd gear... waiting to pounce. He gives a quick nod and jumps on it, so I slam down the gas and hold on. Immediately I just screamed away. Redline shift into 3rd and he kept falling further behind.

I let off at around 130mph and he was so far behind me I couldn't even hear him crying all over his cheap interior.

We exit later and he ends up next to me at a light, and decides he'll fare better from a dig. I do a 1500rpm launch so I maintain a little traction... and still left him as badly as I did on the highway. I shut 'er down around 80 this time, and he was almost a speck in my mirror.

I used to be a GM guy. Still have owned more GM than any other brand, so it saddened me to rape this guy as badly as I did.

I don't think he'll be searching out any striped cars for a while..... :hysterical:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet!! :happy feet: :happy feet: Thanks for the story!!

I think they tested the SS at 13.0 1/4 mile. You have the Evo Stage 2 that likely runs high 11's and his car was probably bone stock as they were just released.

You sure it wasn't the V-6?

Yes you should have won but not that well.

Hmmmm....

Maybe it was a V6 and he had enough time to slap some SS badges on it?? Lol...

Either way, too bad the Z28 got canned - that would have been the competitor. I wonder why that was reversed (the SS and the Z28). The SS used to be the high output product on top of the Z28, not it is the SS then the Z28... :headscratch:

Either way, too bad the Z28 got canned - that would have been the competitor. I wonder why that was reversed (the SS and the Z28). The SS used to be the high output product on top of the Z28, now it is the SS then the Z28... :headscratch:

It's new leadership who don't know the old ways.....

For shame :cry:

I think it's probably keeping with GM's theme of the SS being the high output vehicle - Silverado SS, Trailblazer SS, Cobalt SS, etc. but yeah, I agree it should have been Camaro->CamaroZ28-> CamaroZ-28 SS.

Caught a gorgeous black SS on the highway today.

I went to look at one last week at my local dealer (because I do think the exterior is gorgeous) but the god-awful interior sickened me, and I got out quickly and never looked back.

So I'm on the highway this morning (you know, that deserted highway in Mexico...) and I see a snarling SS grille coming up behind me at a quick pace. He saw the Shelby stripes from a distance, and he wanted to play.

So I'm doing about 65 when he aligns himself next to me on my right, and I rev-match for a smooth downshift to 3rd gear... waiting to pounce. He gives a quick nod and jumps on it, so I slam down the gas and hold on. Immediately I just screamed away. Redline shift into 3rd and he kept falling further behind.

I let off at around 130mph and he was so far behind me I couldn't even hear him crying all over his cheap interior.

We exit later and he ends up next to me at a light, and decides he'll fare better from a dig. I do a 1500rpm launch so I maintain a little traction... and still left him as badly as I did on the highway. I shut 'er down around 80 this time, and he was almost a speck in my mirror.

I used to be a GM guy. Still have owned more GM than any other brand, so it saddened me to rape this guy as badly as I did.

I don't think he'll be searching out any striped cars for a while..... :hysterical:

I see you have the EVo stage II kit as well. Can we actually call this a fair race? :lurk: If the Camaro was stock which was very likely then he didn't have a chance with your mods. I have a Gt500 Stock and would've loved how my car would've gone against it. :shift: Who knows right?

I see you have the EVo stage II kit as well. Can we actually call this a fair race? :lurk: If the Camaro was stock which was very likely then he didn't have a chance with your mods. I have a Gt500 Stock and would've loved how my car would've gone against it. :shift: Who knows right?

From what I have seen and read lately, gm has been embellishing the performance numbers for both the SS Camaro and the CTS-V. Gm claimed the SS could run 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and the CTS-V in 3.9 seconds. All the info I have seen puts the Camaro SS at 4.8-5.0 seconds 0-60 and low to mid 13s in the quarter. The CTS-V has been tested at 4.2-4.5 seconds 0-60 and mid to high 12's in the quarter. Heck the Camaro SS is only 2-3 tenthes of a second faster than a stock GT Mustang. So with or without mods the GT500 still rules the 4seater coupe arena within the $38-$50k range.

So with or without mods the GT500 still rules the 4seater coupe arena within the $38-$50k range.

I actually had a pre-order for a camaro SS but cancelled it before I purchased my 09 GT500 stock. Hell I had the full package with the SS for 37.9K but for a couple of thousand more, I was able to find a 09 GT500 with everything I wanted on it including the dash plaque. :happy feet: I am very satsified with my decision and dont regret it at all.

Sweet!! :happy feet: :happy feet: Thanks for the story!!

I think they tested the SS at 13.0 1/4 mile. You have the Evo Stage 2 that likely runs high 11's and his car was probably bone stock as they were just released.

As far as I'm concened the Shelby was bone stock too...or at least let's make the Camaro guy think so.

:censored: YES that was a fair race! Run what you brought to the table. Thats what happens when you jump unsuspecting, innocent looking GT500s. Who knows what lurks under those innocent looking hoods. :car: Good story. I don't do street racing but the stories are cool.

:censored: YES that was a fair race! Run what you brought to the table. Thats what happens when you jump unsuspecting, innocent looking GT500s. Who knows what lurks under those innocent looking hoods. :car: Good story. I don't do street racing but the stories are cool.

I did street racing once, but I never inhaled the smoke.

:eek5: "You just shot an unarmed man!"

:glare: "Well, he should have armed himself."

I heard that every dealer got one V6 Camaro (according to my dealer), and that every one has been sold...yet...I've yet to see one anywhere except at a dealer....

I have yet to see one in person, except an auto show. Nice story, like the deserted highway in mexico part.....lol

Archived