TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 used car flood!

As of today--May 27--Carmax is listing 11 GT 500's. Ten 07's and one 08. Wow, I can't believe there's that many on the market at once......verts and coupes alike. Even a twin to mine! Wish I could afford another!

There's nearly 75 on autotrader. One optimistic fellow is asking $62,000 for his stock '08 GT500. Another advertises "2008 Shelby GT500E, 1K miles, Torch Red, White Stripes, Red leather Seat Inserts, Navigation System,Ambient Lighting, HID Headlights, Dealer Manuals/Documentation, Engine- 650bhp (Stock was 500hp), Ported and honed supercharger, Pulley swap, auxiliary Idler, K&N cold air intake, Custom dyno tune, Custom work by SandR Performance Tampa Florida, Exhaust- Side exhaust, functional, Long tube headers, Custom one-off tubular exhaust, High-flow cats, Double inlet muffler, ... Full Factory Warranty" How's that work????

Carmax is country wide. Only 11? That's not much for 3 years worth of cars in the whole country..

I agree. However, I live in Orange County, CA and I have seen 3 this past week on the roads. More than I've seen in the past year. My guess is that owners are starting to use them more rather than spend $$$ on a daily driver.

Not too surprising. Thousands of GT500's are out there, some as old as 4 years now, correct? Plus, w/ the recession, maybe a lot of guys have to sell them, which only makes the numbers greater than they might normally be.

I spotted a Super Snake in Bakersfield California last week, and a heavily modified GT500 a day later. Before that, other than mine - I had not seen a GT500 for months.

Been thinking about buying a 08 Bullitt for a daily driver, but who knows what will pop up for sale if I am patient...

There were a lot produced and the end is not in sight so a rare car it is not. Also the posts are down on this sight so it might be the novelty of owning one is on the horizon. It is a great muscle car but not a collector because of the large production numbes and the continued model changes but really pretty much the same car. It could well go on two or three more years. Buy it for its power but not for value as it will never reach past being a muscle car. Should see more on the dragsrtip now that the prices are dropping. Great values out there for someone who wants some instant power. If you have one your hoping to make money off down the road you picked the wrong car unless you plan on being here fourty years from now. Instant muscle car but way down the road as a collector. The number of cars for sale and the low prices confirm the issue. It does not make it any less enjoyabe to the owner who wants to keep the car however Ford is going to go as far as they can with this car so you will see a lot more as time goes by.

I'm sure your probably right about the value issue.

The Shelby, was for me (and my Dad), a lifelong ambition which I honestly thought would be outta my reach. I take care of mine outta respect for what I have and a desire to have it pass on to my oldest daughter in the best condition possible. I take the GT500 out whenever something special is happening with the family, a night out on the town, stuff like that.

I'll drive the piss outta some GT/ Bullitt I'll end up using as a daily driver here soon enough. For now I just love my GT500 enough to treat it like a kings treasure, even if Kelly Blue Book eventually disagrees with me on that! :banghead:

There were a lot produced and the end is not in sight so a rare car it is not. Also the posts are down on this sight so it might be the novelty of owning one is on the horizon. It is a great muscle car but not a collector because of the large production numbes and the continued model changes but really pretty much the same car. It could well go on two or three more years. Buy it for its power but not for value as it will never reach past being a muscle car. Should see more on the dragsrtip now that the prices are dropping. Great values out there for someone who wants some instant power. If you have one your hoping to make money off down the road you picked the wrong car unless you plan on being here fourty years from now. Instant muscle car but way down the road as a collector. The number of cars for sale and the low prices confirm the issue. It does not make it any less enjoyabe to the owner who wants to keep the car however Ford is going to go as far as they can with this car so you will see a lot more as time goes by.

Look at the muscle car market history...same story...some of these will be worth a lot in the right colour combos and in bone stock configuration, especially the 2007's...the muscle car market has always been a cheap buy a few years after launch and a bunch of them get wrecked because people do not respect the power they have.

These will not be priced the same as the original KRs are today but they will be worth a premium down the road.....look at the production numbers for a 1967 mustang GT or GTA or a 1969 Camaro SS and the GT500 numbers of today are pretty low in comparison.

Another factor to throw into the "future value" equation is the O factor which could go either way. Looking at the way he has been approaching other national issues, I would expect a hefty tax on anything above 200 HP (or is that 20 HP?!), meaning muscle car values dropping quicker than a 401(k) in the near term. Just another cheery condition to look forward to.

Another factor to throw into the "future value" equation is the O factor which could go either way. Looking at the way he has been approaching other national issues, I would expect a hefty tax on anything above 200 HP (or is that 20 HP?!), meaning muscle car values dropping quicker than a 401(k) in the near term. Just another cheery condition to look forward to.

So that must mean that 95% of Americans will be driving mopeds. Foolish sheeple, taxes are for liberals :rant2:

Look at the muscle car market history...same story...some of these will be worth a lot in the right colour combos and in bone stock configuration, especially the 2007's...the muscle car market has always been a cheap buy a few years after launch and a bunch of them get wrecked because people do not respect the power they have.

These will not be priced the same as the original KRs are today but they will be worth a premium down the road.....look at the production numbers for a 1967 mustang GT or GTA or a 1969 Camaro SS and the GT500 numbers of today are pretty low in comparison.

That is looking down the road 40 years- should be a lot of gt 500s gone by that time- lots of clones but likely not a lot of the real thing- fourty years is to long to wait for a return- by that time most cars that survive will have had several owners - still will be a muscle car first and foremost- I will never know as in fourty years I will be pushing up dasies.

Archived