TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Limited Slip Differential Moan

My dealer has confirmed the clutch disk pack is causing the moan when turning. I have posted before and received good information. My concern now is the Dealer is saying TSB 08-5-10 covers this problem and they will do it. As I read the TSB it does not mention the Shelby, but only the Mustang GT. I asked the Technical Supervisor if this was the right replacement for the GT500 and he said yes. He said the parts are not coming from Ford Racing, but from Ford. I again asked him if this was the carbon fiber disc pack. He said it was and TSB 08-5-10 would do it. I am skeptical about this. I am fearful they will use the standard disk pack and not the correct one, or they will only add friction modifier. The car is suppose to go in tomorrow morning, Wednesday, May 27. Should I wait? Thanks for any information.

Do you have the time to spend to a least see the new clutch packs & the old clutch packs they remove & do a comparison. Also make sure they is install a 4oz bottle of friction modifer .When you get your car back take it to a parking lot & do some figure eights. Good Luck

Hey Denny. It is my understanding that this TSB does NOT cover the GT500. If they order the parts from that TSB it will not be the carbon fiber disks. I have read about several members attempting to address this sound. Many say it will come back after a while. It has been posted that the sound is normal for the GT500. I have it as well and just concider it part of the deal. Make sure you verify the part before they put it in. Here are some pics to help. Good luck.

Carbon fiber disks

GT500disks.jpg

Standard non-GT500 discs

standarddisks.jpg

The part number for the clutch packs applicable to the TSB is listed on it as 6L1Z-4947-B. Since the TSB is applicable to the Mustang GT and not the GT500, those clutch packs will be the non-carbon fiber type. The TSB also states vehicles built after 10/22/06 already have the new clutch packs and to just add a bottle of friction modifier. I had friction modifier added back in 2007, but the noise is still present. I'm okay with it, besides I plan to replace my differential with a Detroit Tru-Trac one day.

Hey Denny. It is my understanding that this TSB does NOT cover the GT500. If they order the parts from that TSB it will not be the carbon fiber disks. I have read about several members attempting to address this sound. Many say it will come back after a while. It has been posted that the sound is normal for the GT500. I have it as well and just concider it part of the deal. Make sure you verify the part before they put it in. Here are some pics to help. Good luck.

Carbon fiber disks

GT500disks.jpg

Standard non-GT500 discs

standarddisks.jpg

Great pictures of the differences of the two clutch packs. I am taking these to the dealer to make the comparison. This is what I needed. It is greatly appreciated as well as the other responses that were posted. Thanks.

I had a brand new Eaton differential with carbon clutches in another one of my toys a few years back. Once they got scrubbed up a bit they began to make the same sound. It's the nature of the beast. The friction material combined with the extra preload is the reason. That sound actually means that things are working as intended. Adding more friction modifier may quiet things for a bit but can actually harm the clutch packs. It will allow too much slippage and eventually wear them out. I thought something was wrong with the Eaton unit until I got schooled on this. It may be a bit annoying at times but at least you know it working properly. And yes, my GT500 sounds the same way with the stock unit.

DS

I had a brand new Eaton differential with carbon clutches in another one of my toys a few years back. Once they got scrubbed up a bit they began to make the same sound. It's the nature of the beast. The friction material combined with the extra preload is the reason. That sound actually means that things are working as intended. Adding more friction modifier may quiet things for a bit but can actually harm the clutch packs. It will allow too much slippage and eventually wear them out. I thought something was wrong with the Eaton unit until I got schooled on this. It may be a bit annoying at times but at least you know it working properly. And yes, my GT500 sounds the same way with the stock unit.

DS

I decided to not have it done. Sometimes the attempt to cure is worse than the disease. This seems to be the case with the differential moan. If the noise indicates things are working, that is a good noise. If I decide to have it done sometime in the future, I will purchase the parts from Ford Racing. The responses helped me make my decision. I was scheduled for immediate service. so am very thankful for the very rapid responses. Thanks.

Denny

Thanks for the explanation "Darkshadow". I was about to take mine to the Dealer in that regard. I can live with that.

No problem. There is one way to quiet it down safely, well kinda. Take those corners sideways...you may hear the tires but I guarantee you won't hear a peep outta the diff. :hysterical:

DS

I had the same problem the low moan eventually became a load howl. My Ford service department wanted to replace the clutch packs with the TSB parts but I insisted it wasn't the right kit for the GT500. The Service manager called Ford, they said tear it down and verify the problem and report back. The clutch packs were bad. Ford said to replace the compete axle assembly not to rebuild it, so thats what they did.

My Ford technician did not think the moan was normal and after a 1,000 miles or so he was right.

I think your service manager should call Ford and talk to them.

• 2 weeks later...
Try doing figure 8`s on an open parking lot & see if this helps make the groan go away. This forces he lubricant(friction modifier) into the clutch packs

This is a rather late reply to your post, but I am not sure I understood. Do you mean it will force the friction modifier that is in the original differential or friction modifier that has been added? Thanks.

Archived