TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone remove plastic honeycomb hood scoop insert

Has anyone bothered to remove the plastic honeycomb insert in the hood scoop? What exactly would someone see up inside if it were to be removed? How can it be changed to at least be functional in terms of allowing air to flow into the engine bay? Any downsides to doing it?

It depends on which version of the scoop you have, however if it were mine (the final version replacement scoop), you would see the top of the hood, the stripes on the hood under the scoop, bolt holes from the original scoop, and the underside of the scoop (see photo below).....

IMG_0124.jpg

Guest hfrosso

I was also wondering how it will look without the honeycomb grille,i don't like the look of this piece, it just not fit tight in the scoop, and mine hood scoop was replaced!

Does anyone here knows if somoene sells a better grille for the scoop??or how to remove the honey comb grille??

i'm not looking to be functonal.

I spoke with Bill W in July 2007. Forgot how to spell or say his last name but he's the former Ford designer of the intake and exhaust system of our cars which give us the wonderful sound. He did mention they considered making them functional but there was some silly rule from one of the auto regulators that prevented from cutting a six inch hole in the hoods. I think it supposedly weakened the hood if I recall but I'm sure it was likely cost prohibitive too. Anyway I think he mentioned we could do this individually but not in mass production. A while ago I bought a spare scoop on eBay and was planning on drilling holes in the honeycomb parts of that little grille and then drilling a hole in a used hood. That's all on hold for a while. When I find the impromptu interview I did with Bill I'll post it so you can hear his cool story how he designed the system.

Has anyone bothered to remove the plastic honeycomb insert in the hood scoop? What exactly would someone see up inside if it were to be removed? How can it be changed to at least be functional in terms of allowing air to flow into the engine bay? Any downsides to doing it?

I took my out it looks alot cleaner and all you see is the stripe's but cuttting that lip off to open it up is a pain in the @$$$, I also cut the hood open for more cooling and it does vent out nicely. Just don't use a saw-saw trust me it won't work other than damage :cry::censored: and I never confess to it either.

I took my out it looks alot cleaner and all you see is the stripe's but cuttting that lip off to open it up is a pain in the @$$$, I also cut the hood open for more cooling and it does vent out nicely. Just don't use a saw-saw trust me it won't work other than damage :cry::censored: and I never confess to it either.

Remember the old Quaker LIFE cereal commercials when the brother of "Mikey" uses Mickey to test the LIFE cereal flavor???? Well you remind me of that converning your SGT and the evercoming mods you have been storming up lately....

".....give it to RACERX009.......he'll F*$%K it all up"....

I removed mine and it was not problem at all. I really like the looks too. I removed the 3 nuts that hold the grill in place and then took a 3" die grinder w/ thin cutoff wheel to cut out the backing plate that the grill mounts to. I left about 1/2 inch. I then finished it with a Dremmel tool w/ small grinder taking it down to 1/8 of inch. Left this 1/8 for two reasons, rib will help support and I didn't want to get into the scoop itself. With the scoop is already off the car the whole process took 15-20 minutes. Craig

post-10682-1243516181_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1243516181_thumb.jpg

this is my post from back in December where I had the hood cut.....

here's an update on the "scoop project". As I posted earlier, the plan was to cut the hood opening like Chip Beck had suggested. Altough this is relatively easy to do, it was gut wrenching to watch this. Anyway, now it's done and I know some had recently posted questions regarding rain getting in thru the opening. I think Chip did an excellent job of answering that question, but I went one step farther. I happened to notice that laying in my garage was a perfect peice of weatherstip for my '67 project car. The part no. is 03110-1A for 65-68 Mustang. Available at NPD for $12.95. This weatherstrip has a very good seal to hood on the leading edge which I fit/cut then tacked with 3M w/s. Painters tape was used to hold in place until dry. I trimmed the two outside top corners at an angle to match the angle on the inside of the scoop so with the scoop in place it seals at the leading edge of the hood panel and at the sides of the scoop itself. There is no need to go down the sides of the hood opening. Here are some pics to show you what I am talking about which include prep of hood from underside. We used an acid etch primer followed by a 2 in 1 white primer which worked perfectly on the raw edges and rivet nuts. The last pic shows the scoop setting on the hood and as you can see it is not easy to see the seal in place. This was the SAI scoop replacement and I removed the 3 nuts holding the blackout and then cut out the fiberglass bkt that holds the blackout. I did this because I wanted it open and if it goes bad my next scoop will come from Chip's design. Craig

--------------------

'07 Shelby GT - CSM 2873

Performance White/Lemans Silver Stripes -Shelby Hood Pins

Map Accent -Cup holder accent -S/C - maybe some day

post-10682-1243518197_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1243518232_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1243518251_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1243518197_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1243518232_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1243518251_thumb.jpg

Remember the old Quaker LIFE cereal commercials when the brother of "Mikey" uses Mickey to test the LIFE cereal flavor???? Well you remind me of that converning your SGT and the evercoming mods you have been storming up lately....

".....give it to RACERX009.......he'll F*$%K it all up"....

Great one has spoken once again !!! Thank you oh great sky pancer !!! Remember guys don't think on your own its dangerous only use your text book like the great Pancer.

Cut the scoop open it's a little work and looks great !!!

Nerds shouldn't own sport cars just dream about them!!!! Quote The Fonz

big deal, IF-it up got all these big tools with big blades and got a little carried away !!! It's not like, I broke the windshield

Oh and pancer bite me!!! :hysterical:

this is my post from back in December where I had the hood cut.....

here's an update on the "scoop project". As I posted earlier, the plan was to cut the hood opening like Chip Beck had suggested. Altough this is relatively easy to do, it was gut wrenching to watch this. Anyway, now it's done and I know some had recently posted questions regarding rain getting in thru the opening. I think Chip did an excellent job of answering that question, but I went one step farther. I happened to notice that laying in my garage was a perfect peice of weatherstip for my '67 project car. The part no. is 03110-1A for 65-68 Mustang. Available at NPD for $12.95. This weatherstrip has a very good seal to hood on the leading edge which I fit/cut then tacked with 3M w/s. Painters tape was used to hold in place until dry. I trimmed the two outside top corners at an angle to match the angle on the inside of the scoop so with the scoop in place it seals at the leading edge of the hood panel and at the sides of the scoop itself. There is no need to go down the sides of the hood opening. Here are some pics to show you what I am talking about which include prep of hood from underside. We used an acid etch primer followed by a 2 in 1 white primer which worked perfectly on the raw edges and rivet nuts. The last pic shows the scoop setting on the hood and as you can see it is not easy to see the seal in place. This was the SAI scoop replacement and I removed the 3 nuts holding the blackout and then cut out the fiberglass bkt that holds the blackout. I did this because I wanted it open and if it goes bad my next scoop will come from Chip's design. Craig

--------------------

'07 Shelby GT - CSM 2873

Performance White/Lemans Silver Stripes -Shelby Hood Pins

Map Accent -Cup holder accent -S/C - maybe some day

Looks great Craig!

That's pretty much exactly what I just had done to my car. I'm not as ballzy as Racer, so I brought mine to a shop for the chop job. The scoop turned out great.

I would definitely not recommend this with the original scoop, for obvious reasons. The new scoop, being much more rigid, should hold up fine without it's fake honeycomb support.

Ken

Looks great Craig!

That's pretty much exactly what I just had done to my car. I'm not as ballzy as Racer, so I brought mine to a shop for the chop job. The scoop turned out great.

I would definitely not recommend this with the original scoop, for obvious reasons. The new scoop, being much more rigid, should hold up fine without it's fake honeycomb support.

Ken

Ken next just call me and I'll bring my jig saw over and some of my meds !! You supply the gin and tonic and point me in the right direction!!!

Anthony

Ken next just call me and I'll bring my jig saw over and some of my meds !! You supply the gin and tonic and point me in the right direction!!!

Anthony

:hysterical: Will do Anthony! I may need more gin than you, however. ;)

Ken

Great one has spoken once again !!! Thank you oh great sky pancer !!! Remember guys don't think on your own its dangerous only use your text book like the great Pancer.

Cut the scoop open it's a little work and looks great !!!

Nerds shouldn't own sport cars just dream about them!!!! Quote The Fonz

big deal, IF-it up got all these big tools with big blades and got a little carried away !!! It's not like, I broke the windshield

Oh and pancer bite me!!! :hysterical:

I guess I just can't understand someone who spends every waking moment doing something like reinventing the wheel (remember your RAM Air), or cutting up my SGT hood here and there....but hey....if your SGT is nothing more to you than just some lost-warrior project car to mess up then I would say the quote from "the Fonz" applies more to you than to me.

Better adjust your ritalin dosage there Latern-man..... :jackinbox:

I removed mine and it was not problem at all. I really like the looks too. I removed the 3 nuts that hold the grill in place and then took a 3" die grinder w/ thin cutoff wheel to cut out the backing plate that the grill mounts to. I left about 1/2 inch. I then finished it with a Dremmel tool w/ small grinder taking it down to 1/8 of inch. Left this 1/8 for two reasons, rib will help support and I didn't want to get into the scoop itself. With the scoop is already off the car the whole process took 15-20 minutes. Craig

Really looks good Craig.

I sometimes wonder if there would be a consistent look under the scoop given that when the scoops are "fixed" the replacement is left up to each individual dealer as to who will carry it out. I would hate to trim out the fake plastic grill only to find the striping doesn't necessarily extend all the way to the back of the scoop or there are some unused or badly placed rivet holes or that someone thought nothing inside or underneath will ever get "revealed" when the fake scoop grill was put into place.

I was thinking of drilling holes into the honeycomb grill to at least make it appear that the scoop may be functional...but what you did is a better way to go. Perhaps I will drill some holes and then see if I might see any surprises underneath. If not then I might just go the entire way like you did.

Gentlemen,

This is what I believe the Shelby GT hood scoop should look like. This is a Heath scoop. They are all handbuilt and custom fitted so they lay flat on your hood. It looks better than the factory Shelby GT hood scoop because it is not flat across the top of the opening but has a slight bow (arch) to it which follows the contour of the hood. The top of the hood scoop is not flat either but again has a slight dome to it which follows the contour of the hood and more closely parallels the hood scoop on the 1966 GT350 and the original Cobra. The hood of my Shelby GT is cut out underneath the scoop. I painted the bottom of my hood and the bottom of the hood scoop using the same base coat/clearcoat that exists on the top of the hood. The finished result is aesthetically most pleasing. Using a remote aviation Digital thermometer I checked under hood temperatures in the area of my supercharger before and after. At speed the area around my supercharger is 20°F cooler and after four minutes of idling with the vehicle stopped, the difference is 30°F. My scoop has been open for a year now and there has been no down side other than the cost of performing this work.

Chip

post-12804-1243546826_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1243546837_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1243546848_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1243546861_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1243546826_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1243546837_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1243546848_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1243546861_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing that, for someone to have the Heath scoop installed as pictured above, costs approx. $2000 including all parts, labor and material???

I'm guessing that, for someone to have the Heath scoop installed as pictured above, costs approx. $2000 including all parts, labor and material???

I paid $700 approximately for the Chip Beck scoop and hardware and another $1200 to the body shop for the stripe paint job and hole cuttin'

Had to wait 12 flippin weeks though, but it was well worth it !

Oh yeah, I got to keep the original and have Mr. Shelby sign it....priceless !

Screw the Ford Dealers and the warranty...... pay to have it done right and move on !

Take Care and good luck

Andrew

No, the cost would be about half that. Approx costs are scoop-$600, hardware-$100, paint & cut the hood opening w/ a dremmel-$300

Chip

Are you guys having the underside of the hood's sprayed? In the VB cars it's more obvious than on the white cars. I'm seriously considering this. Chip, since you've had it for quite some time have you noticed an increase in dirt/grime build up under the hood? I'm sort of anal about that particular area and that' probably my biggest resistence to the whole thing...

No, the cost would be about half that. Approx costs are scoop-$600, hardware-$100, paint & cut the hood opening w/ a dremmel-$300

Chip

To clarify, my guesstimate of $2000 is to purchase the scoop and then pay to have someone else do the install including hole cutting, paint, stripe, etc.. This is not something that I would be able to do myself; I doubt most guys would. Andrewnagle1964 says he paid $1900 total so I guess my guess was pretty good!

Guest hfrosso

I already have my hood scoop replaced, don't really wat to mess up with that one now, but i would like jusst to remove the honeycomb grille,

i just don't like the look, does not sit tight on the hood or tight against the scoop.

has anyone removed the grille without removing the scoop??

Anyone can tell me how the grille is attached??

I really like what some of you guys have done cutting the hood open.

Thank's!

I already have my hood scoop replaced, don't really wat to mess up with that one now, but i would like jusst to remove the honeycomb grille,

i just don't like the look, does not sit tight on the hood or tight against the scoop.

has anyone removed the grille without removing the scoop??

Anyone can tell me how the grille is attached??

I really like what some of you guys have done cutting the hood open.

Thank's!

I have had my scoop replaced with the new SAI one it is great. I was thinking lots of blue tape and might be able to remove it from the scoop...I do not know if it would work. I am afraid of messing up the hood....when you cut the hole in the hood what about messing up the stripes?

I have had my scoop replaced with the new SAI one it is great. I was thinking lots of blue tape and might be able to remove it from the scoop...I do not know if it would work. I am afraid of messing up the hood....when you cut the hole in the hood what about messing up the stripes?

+1

Guest hfrosso

I don't want to cut the hole in the hood, not looking for function or venting, just looking to remove the grille or replace with something better,but i haven't found anything for sale that will fit in this hood scoop.

To clarify, my guesstimate of $2000 is to purchase the scoop and then pay to have someone else do the install including hole cutting, paint, stripe, etc.. This is not something that I would be able to do myself; I doubt most guys would. Andrewnagle1964 says he paid $1900 total so I guess my guess was pretty good!

A big part of Andrews cost was removing the tape stripes and painting the stripes on the hood as well as painting the scoop, not using a tape stripe on the scoop but painting that stripe as well, and painting the underside of the hood. All of this paint work might be done by somebody who is not even changing his hood scoop. So yes, if you wish to include all of that work, then your guess was pretty good. But for an owner of just wants to switch to a top-quality scoop without doing all of the additional work, you could do it for $1000.

Chip

You know, everything looks great. But to be honest with you, I wonder what you guys all do for a living that you can toss $2000, $1000, $600 around like it was no big deal, especially for a cosmetic change that most people on the street don't even notice unless you point it out to them. (I'm guessing that the ability to modify your cars at will is indirectly proportional to how long you have been married times the number of children that you have in college). Hell, I have a new Harley Street Bob also, and it took me a long time just to justify a luggage rack.

My scoop probably isn't perfect, but I never even noticed any flaws at all until I read about them here and started to look closely. I do see minor flaws, but nothing that keeps me up at night.

These are your cars and if you have the means, then by all means be happy with what you drive. They all look fantastic.

So, I guess what I'm asking is....

Where do you work and are they hiring? :hysterical:

I paid $700 approximately for the Chip Beck scoop and hardware and another $1200 to the body shop for the stripe paint job and hole cuttin'

Had to wait 12 flippin weeks though, but it was well worth it !

Oh yeah, I got to keep the original and have Mr. Shelby sign it....priceless !

Screw the Ford Dealers and the warranty...... pay to have it done right and move on !

Take Care and good luck

Andrew

You know, everything looks great. But to be honest with you, I wonder what you guys all do for a living that you can toss $2000, $1000, $600 around like it was no big deal, especially for a cosmetic change that most people on the street don't even notice unless you point it out to them. (I'm guessing that the ability to modify your cars at will is indirectly proportional to how long you have been married times the number of children that you have in college). Hell, I have a new Harley Street Bob also, and it took me a long time just to justify a luggage rack.

My scoop probably isn't perfect, but I never even noticed any flaws at all until I read about them here and started to look closely. I do see minor flaws, but nothing that keeps me up at night.

These are your cars and if you have the means, then by all means be happy with what you drive. They all look fantastic.

So, I guess what I'm asking is....

Where do you work and are they hiring? :hysterical:

Ahhh I live in the mountains of North Carolina where cost of living is zilch, I pay less than $1,000 a year in property taxes, live in a 2,400 sq foot house that was 5 times cheaper than my brothers house in San Mateo and 50% larger, I work my ass off and bring home over six figures, have 2 kids in private school and a wife who is a stay at home Mom ! NC life sure beats Cali any day of the week and is cheaper on the wallet, I financed the SGT at 0.009% for 60 months so I could mod the hell out of it, I got $58 K in it and will never sell it, it is not my daily driver, got a company car for that and a Tag Heuer on my wrist thanks to my all my modding (see Amex Rewards)

I work at for Conrad Industries the World' Best Embroidered Emblem Manufacturer and yes we are hiring in fact we are hiring an in-house web designer, 2 customer service folks, sewing people for the factory and looking for a traveling salesman who can land the whale ! We employee over 1,000 worldwide and have factories in 3 countries, we made over 60,000,000 emblems last year and have nearly 7,000 customers.

Try putting your hands on one of these babies.....

web.jpg

Take Care

Andrew

I guess I just can't understand someone who spends every waking moment doing something like reinventing the wheel (remember your RAM Air), or cutting up my SGT hood here and there....but hey....if your SGT is nothing more to you than just some lost-warrior project car to mess up then I would say the quote from "the Fonz" applies more to you than to me.

Better adjust your ritalin dosage there Latern-man..... :jackinbox:

Dear sky pancer, I'll post my pics of my work and you can judge it since your a highly qualified critic !!!! Don't be a mod hater just because you can't screw a light bulb in without calling the handy lady.

I also just installed a stock mustang gt rear spoiler and striped it all by myself, I'm sure you could have done it better!!

If, I see you flying over by my way in your little pink plane kiss your A$$ good-bye cause my 50 caliber has your name on it !! :baby::cry::baby:

AYYY!!!!! :fool:

Archived