TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is this sacrilege?

MarkGT08

I haven't actually gone through with any of this, but bear with me......

I have never been a fan of fake automotive ornaments that pretend to be something that would improve performance or handling if it was real in the first place. And I'm talking about fake hood scoops, fake side scoops, useless spoilers, etc. I guess to some extent, its common with cars now to use this as a sort of styling. And in most cases, it's ok, because the car that they are on are obviously not performance cars, so everyone knows that these things are an exercise in style only, and not some sort of performance enhancement. Look how many slug cars have spoilers now. Not only aren't they doing anything for the car aerodynamics, but they are illogical. Why would someone generate a downforce by pushing down on the trunk of a car. It's not a structural member and if it really did generate a downforce, all it would do is dent the trunk sheet metal.

But to get to my point. All of the threads about the faulty hood scoops, the bad vinyl stripes, etc, makes me wish they weren't installed on the car. To tell you the truth, I have shown my car to a few people who have expressed surprise when they see that the hood scoop is a fake, or that the side scoops aren't real either. And I just mumble something about "legacy looks", blah blah, etc., and change the subject. And personally, I am not a big fan of the vinyl stripes either. Now I know that these items are supposed to be there because of the heritage of the car, but back then they were functional, and not just pretty add-ons. I am already glad that there isn't a spoiler on the GT. It was a good delete. To me, all the air scoops remind me of cheap J.C. Whitney tack-ons.

So, to my point..... What is the general opinion about dumping the fakery? Has anyone modified their car appearance enough to just make the GT what it is; a great handling, performance car, with REAL performance modifications and dump the scoops, OR make them real. Having someone look at that cheap plastic honeycomb insert in the scoops is a little embarassing. I am contemplating making the scoop functional, or just getting a new hood and not installing the fake scoop. And the same for the tack-on side scoops. They aren't fooling anyone. And as for the vinyl, does just painting on the stripes seem like a good idea instead of trying to coddle that damned vinyl? And personally, I think it would be cool as hell to install a roots blower that actually stuck out of the hood. I don't want to hide the damned thing, I want it to strike fear into the hearts of the competition.

I know that most of this has been addressed in separate threads, and I know some of you have made some some of these mods. But my question is not if it is possible to do (because we know that it is); my question is "Would these changes ruin the car as a "Shelby GT"? And I also know that there will be comments like "It's your car; do what you want to". I already know that. I'm just asking for opinions now, or experiences in doing any of this and how happy they are with the results?

So, comments?

But my question is not if it is possible to do (because we know that it is); my question is "Would these changes ruin the car as a "Shelby GT"? And I also know that there will be comments like "It's your car; do what you want to". I already know that. I'm just asking for opinions now, or experiences in doing any of this and how happy they are with the results?

So, comments?

Yes it would! All the issues you point to can and have been resolved. These issues are not much different than issues that were had back in the 60's it's part of having a limited run car. Sure things could have been done better with the luxury of hindsight but the car's "look" is central to its identity. You call things "fakery" but the reality much of a car could be called that but it's really styling and it's that styling that sets the car apart from a GT with some Ford Performance parts thrown on.

Look, as is always the case, I and others will tell you to do what you want, it' your car. But in the end I think you will lose what makes a SGT and SGT and will have essentially a GT that you paid a lot of money for, a car that will one day, hopefully, be restored by a future owner. The GO SGT is a VERY limited car and a VERY nice looking car...don't loose sight of the fact the car is just as much about its visual appeal and tribute to the cars of the 60's as it is a car for today.

Good luck either way!

I always go back to this. The Shelby GT is what it is when we bought it. We knew (or should have known) what it included, be it fake scoops, stock GT brakes, 319 hp or whatever. It was designed and built to provide a Shelby Hertz Mustang for the public; nothing more. We knew that and paid the price.

So, why do some of us complain? If it had real scoops, big brakes and more HP, it would have cost much more $$$. Not far above the price of the SGT at the time was the GT500. The GT500 has more HP, big brakes and no fake scoop.

So, why didn't the guys who complain about fake scoops and lower HP just by a GT500 to begin with? Yes, it would have cost more, but some people's dream Shelby GT would have cost as much or more. Or, appreciate the Shelby GT for what it is and was designed to be, and have fun modding it if you want.

There is a 'funtional' hood scoop option out there - requires some drilling/cutting of your stock Shelby GT hood. It's completely funtional and will be free of the warping issues which have been identified as common with the SAI provided materials for it. Also, you can obtain the CS6 side scoops and pay a little extra to have someone custom install them with an actual hole cut in the quarter to vent into the rear wheel house area. . . . . . West Coast Customs did that on the WCC Shelby they built for Carroll Shelby.

As has been mentioned - do what you gotta do - my addition to that is if you're going to do something, make a step forward, an accent, or an upgrade. . . not detractor or a step backward. If you can make something better - then by all means do it!! Then bring it back here and show us what you did!!

Grabber Orange Shelby GT-C - rare car - very rare. I'm already scared enough to take my car from stock to something else that can't be removed or undone later. I don't even want to think about how I'd be if my SGT was only 1 of 219.

You don't want to remove the honeycomb from the hood scoop, as flimsy as the scoop is, if you remove it I bet it will sag in the middle.

I love the fakery on my car, would not change it for the world.

Chris

Here is my take on this..... The cars of the 60's needed scoops to gain HP,braking,and overall performance. the NEW cars like we own dont have to rely on the functional aspect of installed parts. Their performance is good and with a few bolt ons the performance is second to none.. The stripes let you know what it is from a distance the heritage is there......

If you wanted to strip everything off I am sure a stock GT would have been the way to go it would of been cheaper and has no "useless" scoops or wings..At one time I know they could be had for 19k$ but with that what do you have? A mustang GT NOT a Shelby GT Not a club Not a group of enthusiasts, Not a better than average resale value, not a collectors potential. Problems are part of every build on every car its how they stand behind the problem that satisfies.

anyhow end of my rant

OK, all good feedback and I appreciate it. It's funny that many of you guys mentioned that I would essentailly be changing this car into a regular Mustang GT. I guess maybe I have been a little dulled to the rareness of my GO car because I really didn't pay all that much more than a new Mustang GT because of the economy and being a leftover, etc. Deep down, I also think that the "Shelbyness" of the car is in the real performance add-ons, such as the performance upgrades, and not so much the visuals aspects (although the color to me shouts "Shelby").

So you have convinced me 80% to not screw with the looks. And after three coats of wax, one layer of Armor All, and polishing up the underhood area, and parked under a car cover in my garage (all done this Memorial day weekend), I'm going to leave the looks pretty much stock. But, the 20% of me that is not completely convinced says to make the hood scoop functional and a lower grill to keep the radiator from taking a rock. I will have to work on that.

Thanks again for the comments. All good. That's why we are here. :salute:

I'm with Jeff and ilmor. The SGT is what it is and proudly so. I was originally going to buy a Mustang GT and make it clone of the first SGT I ever saw, a Hertz vert. at Hertz. Becuase of the Ford marketing or lack of, I was unaware that a real SGT existed until I contacted my local Ford dealer about a GT that would have fit my plans.

When I first saw what would become my black SGT, I saw 1966 GT350 scoops, stripes, hood pins and the SHELBY legacy in a newer body style. Never mind that the scoops are for looks. It has the right stuff to wear the Shelby name. Not many cars can say that.

At shows and cruises, I am constantly being confused with regular Mustang GTs that have been modified. I have a dash plaque, engine plate and lettering on my trunk lid that says this car is no run of the mill Mustang GT. It is (or will be) a piece of automotive history. It's your car, but why would you want to join the "regulars"?

I like my SGT for what it is and the look. Now with that said, I've owned many a Mustang in my 30 years of driving, and the one thing I always did, like it or not, was minor modifications to make it what I thought it should have been. All Mustangs are on the light side of what they have potential to be and that goes for Shelby's too.

Sooo, I added the below to my Vista SGT regardless or registry worries and what ever, because it's my SGT and have never heard a bad word about it from anyone that saw it in person. Could really care less anyway because most that talk crap don't have a Shelby or one that is nice. These should have been on the car when built, but the $$$ would have been about $10K more. I looked at the GT500 and I just don't like the look, the hood, the wheels etc or I would have bought one. The Shelby letters on the left side of the trunk look dumb also on the GT500. But hey that's my opinion and if I did get a GT500 the things I did not like would be removed. I happen to like the SGT scoops and never even looked at the hood scoop really until someone said something. There are a couple extremely minor things with it but I don't care enough to remove it and waste time with my car at the dealer. If I get to that point the hood will be off the car and a CS6 type maybe back on it. Anyway enough rambling, my upgrades are below and a link to see the beast if you desire. :peelout:

-Whipple 550hp intercooled S/C

-GT500 rear wing

-Front radiator grill (to black out and protection)

-Shelby razor 20" wheels

-Sub in the trunk to compliment the shaker 500 system

-Rear view mirror with compass and self dim feature

-Window tint

-Oil catch can between PVC and intake

-Silver Chrome Powder Coated SC and Valve Covers

-SOS Dash Gages / Auto Meter Cobalts

-Cobra Rear Faux Cap

-CS6 Grill w PIAA Lights

-HID's

-Side rear window louvers

-Ford Navigation

Visit My Website

Cut a hole in the hood like I did, shave the inside of the scoop, and paint the stripes on. Problem solved.

That doesn't make it any less of a Shelby GT. Almost everyone here has modified their cars to some extent. Hell, the car is one big mod to begin with. It's the Shelby way.

If you don't like it, change it. I personally keep every nut and bolt that I pull off the car, just for some piece of mind. Good luck with whichever path you choose.

Ken

OK, all good feedback and I appreciate it. It's funny that many of you guys mentioned that I would essentailly be changing this car into a regular Mustang GT. I guess maybe I have been a little dulled to the rareness of my GO car because I really didn't pay all that much more than a new Mustang GT because of the economy and being a leftover, etc. Deep down, I also think that the "Shelbyness" of the car is in the real performance add-ons, such as the performance upgrades, and not so much the visuals aspects (although the color to me shouts "Shelby").

So you have convinced me 80% to not screw with the looks. And after three coats of wax, one layer of Armor All, and polishing up the underhood area, and parked under a car cover in my garage (all done this Memorial day weekend), I'm going to leave the looks pretty much stock. But, the 20% of me that is not completely convinced says to make the hood scoop functional and a lower grill to keep the radiator from taking a rock. I will have to work on that.

Thanks again for the comments. All good. That's why we are here. :salute:

i would definatly put a lower grill on it...i was gettin impact craters in my radiator from gravel and stones and everything else that was coming off tires of vehicles in front of me. you'll like the lower grill. it will make it seem to complete the looks of the front end. and hide those dents already in ur radiator B)

as far as scoops....well i just leave mine on so i can hide the ugly mounting holes that they already put in the body and hood to mount them in the first place. some have modded the scoop to make it somewhat more functional and removed the vynil stripes and painted them on and not change the looks of the car that much.

in my opinion if i do anything to it i would try to keep it looking original as i could or at least still be recognizable as an SGT.

alot of guys on here have done HP mods like installed headers or cams or some different intake elbow or different wheels or changed thier engine tunes. if ur goin to keep it original not only should u not change the looks but dont change the performance either. "original is original" as far as i am concerned, inside or out. any kinda mod has already altered it from "original".

all i ever done to my SGT, other than having to repaint and restripe due to hail damage, is added a lower grill and changed hood pins on it. so really (if the definition of "original" is used in the strictest term) then its not "original" anymore. but its still a Shelby. :peelout:

In my opinion Shelby came out with the SGT as a canvas for us to mod and change and make better. There is no way that they were ever going to come out with a complete car. That would be totally foolish on their part as a service provider and a parts manufacturer and supplier. Why would they come out with a design and not want you to make it your own all the while spending money through Shelby. They are a business and any part they sell and service they perform is part of their business model. I modded mine and will continue to do so all the while making Shelby a bit of profit so they can stay in business and build more cars that we can all decide to mod or not. They better hope that we mod our cars. If not they will be out of work very fast, especially with this economy. So mod or don't mod but I can guarantee that the folks at Shelby are on the side of mod till you drop.

As far as the hood scoop goes it's a direct replica of the ones that were installed on the Shelby Cobra. It's a bit longer and wider to work with the size of the hood but it's all part of the heritage thing man. That's what this car is all about, heritage with a modern platform. The whole package looks good, no one has ever said to me "damn Don that hood scoop isn't real", usually it's more like that's one of the best looking cars I've seen even with it's fake scoops, worthless spoiler, funky wheels and strange pit stripes. I love my Shelby even with all of it's faults.

Don

I haven't actually gone through with any of this, but bear with me......

I have never been a fan of fake automotive ornaments that pretend to be something that would improve performance or handling if it was real in the first place. And I'm talking about fake hood scoops, fake side scoops, useless spoilers, etc. I guess to some extent, its common with cars now to use this as a sort of styling. And in most cases, it's ok, because the car that they are on are obviously not performance cars, so everyone knows that these things are an exercise in style only, and not some sort of performance enhancement. Look how many slug cars have spoilers now. Not only aren't they doing anything for the car aerodynamics, but they are illogical. Why would someone generate a downforce by pushing down on the trunk of a car. It's not a structural member and if it really did generate a downforce, all it would do is dent the trunk sheet metal.

But to get to my point. All of the threads about the faulty hood scoops, the bad vinyl stripes, etc, makes me wish they weren't installed on the car. To tell you the truth, I have shown my car to a few people who have expressed surprise when they see that the hood scoop is a fake, or that the side scoops aren't real either. And I just mumble something about "legacy looks", blah blah, etc., and change the subject. And personally, I am not a big fan of the vinyl stripes either. Now I know that these items are supposed to be there because of the heritage of the car, but back then they were functional, and not just pretty add-ons. I am already glad that there isn't a spoiler on the GT. It was a good delete. To me, all the air scoops remind me of cheap J.C. Whitney tack-ons.

So, to my point..... What is the general opinion about dumping the fakery? Has anyone modified their car appearance enough to just make the GT what it is; a great handling, performance car, with REAL performance modifications and dump the scoops, OR make them real. Having someone look at that cheap plastic honeycomb insert in the scoops is a little embarassing. I am contemplating making the scoop functional, or just getting a new hood and not installing the fake scoop. And the same for the tack-on side scoops. They aren't fooling anyone. And as for the vinyl, does just painting on the stripes seem like a good idea instead of trying to coddle that damned vinyl? And personally, I think it would be cool as hell to install a roots blower that actually stuck out of the hood. I don't want to hide the damned thing, I want it to strike fear into the hearts of the competition.

I know that most of this has been addressed in separate threads, and I know some of you have made some some of these mods. But my question is not if it is possible to do (because we know that it is); my question is "Would these changes ruin the car as a "Shelby GT"? And I also know that there will be comments like "It's your car; do what you want to". I already know that. I'm just asking for opinions now, or experiences in doing any of this and how happy they are with the results?

So, comments?

Mark, I agree with you. Cars in today's market have the aforementioned fake modifications for looks.... It takes away from the heritage, yes, but... at least they look cool! :rolleyes:

Mark, I agree with you. Cars in today's market have the aforementioned fake modifications for looks.... It takes away from the heritage, yes, but... at least they look cool! :rolleyes:

While I agree the "fakery" is for looks, I don't agree, the "fakery" takes away from the heritage, I think it's a tribute to the heritage on a modern platform. Maybe some didn't but I bought the car for the "looks", I had a 2005 spoiler delete GT and for a lot less money added the FRPP options. I bought this car because it's a tribute to the cars of the 60's and the Motor Trend article that had the two era cars side by side sold me!

The SGT has some "fakery" but not very much and it stands up well as an elegant and I think beautiful car that also signifies a level of performance far greater than it's 319 horses.

To take away the visible cues that make it an SGT and not a GT, to me, seems counter to every reason why the car exists.

But we all may feel differently, and maybe I'm the minority, but that's just my thinking.

While I agree the "fakery" is for looks, I don't agree, the "fakery" takes away from the heritage, I think it's a tribute to the heritage on a modern platform. Maybe some didn't but I bought the car for the "looks", I had a 2005 spoiler delete GT and for a lot less money added the FRPP options. I bought this car because it's a tribute to the cars of the 60's and the Motor Trend article that had the two era cars side by side sold me!

The SGT has some "fakery" but not very much and it stands up well as an elegant and I think beautiful car that also signifies a level of performance far greater than it's 319 horses.

To take away the visible cues that make it an SGT and not a GT, to me, seems counter to every reason why the car exists.

But we all may feel differently, and maybe I'm the minority, but that's just my thinking.

IMHO non-functional pieces take away from the true pedigree of the car... I do see what you are saying though. The irony is that modern platforms all have a certain amount of fakery, because that is what appeals to today's markets. Put a plastic intake on a car during the 60's and you would get an entirely different response. It is simply what 50 years has done to the automobile, that is all :shrug:

Funny, I remember lots of '60s Mustangs with fake hood and side scoops, spoilers and all the rest. People either kept them stock or modded them. So, what's any different today? I say mod it as much as you and your pocketbook can handle, but keep all the stock parts. :peelout:

I always go back to this. The Shelby GT is what it is when we bought it. We knew (or should have known) what it included, be it fake scoops, stock GT brakes, 319 hp or whatever. It was designed and built to provide a Shelby Hertz Mustang for the public; nothing more. We knew that and paid the price.

So, why do some of us complain? If it had real scoops, big brakes and more HP, it would have cost much more $$$. Not far above the price of the SGT at the time was the GT500. The GT500 has more HP, big brakes and no fake scoop.

So, why didn't the guys who complain about fake scoops and lower HP just by a GT500 to begin with? Yes, it would have cost more, but some people's dream Shelby GT would have cost as much or more. Or, appreciate the Shelby GT for what it is and was designed to be, and have fun modding it if you want.

At the time I bought mine the 500 verts were $55K, 10K more than what I paid.

None of the 500 verts had over the top stripes in 2007 (when I ordered my vert).

The 500 does not have an automatic transmission option like they did in the old days. :shrug:

I love the black red stripe 500 verts but no auto or over the top stripes in other colors. I had a black Corvette and it was hard to keep clean.

here's my take.

99.9% of the world couldn't tell you the difference between a Super Snake a Mustang V6, so why do something simply to please the .01% that says "hey those aren't real side scoops." And even those people, how many of them have functioning side scoops. Your car is for you, not for other people.

and another point, unless your driving around in a SSC Ultimate Aero, a Bugatti Veyron, a Maclaren F1 or a Ferrari Enzo, theres always going to be someone who may "poke fun" at a piece of your car.

and if its speed that they are making fun of...tell them ill be right back with my 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo and race any car in the world with it.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I really don't care all that much about what others think about my car. Hell, here in Kalifornia, if you don't drive a Hybrid, you are pretty much a social outcast anyway. My point is that comments remind ME about the fact that these things are just ornaments.

I think that maybe it's because I'm an engineer, and I think that things should be functional, not just for looks.

But this is the way it came. It's a Shelby, and removing them would make it look less a Shelby. But keeping them on and making them functional, to me, makes it even better and still a SHELBY. It's not for anyone else but me.

I will be honest, if I was ordering my car options from a manufacturers options list , (and this were a non-shelby), I would not be ordering "non-functional hood scoop" and"non-functional side scoops". But being a Shelby, you can't delete them and still be a Shelby.

Like you, I too have a GT-C and at this point I plan 2 mods (hood pins and lower grille) that's it. In my opinion Shelby engineered these cars and delivered them to us the way they were meant to be. We all know the stock hood pins are terrible and that the stripes will fall off eventually, but these cars were intended to be time capsules, and keeping them stock preserves that. So if you want my .02 here goes, if it really bothers you make all the non-functional stuff functional, (that actually doesn't sound like a bad idea) but keep the stock look. I agree with the previous statements...Why join the "regulars"? Just remember there are only 217 of them...that's it...

In my opinion Shelby came out with the SGT as a canvas for us to mod and change and make better. There is no way that they were ever going to come out with a complete car. That would be totally foolish on their part as a service provider and a parts manufacturer and supplier. Why would they come out with a design and not want you to make it your own all the while spending money through Shelby. They are a business and any part they sell and service they perform is part of their business model. I modded mine and will continue to do so all the while making Shelby a bit of profit so they can stay in business and build more cars that we can all decide to mod or not. They better hope that we mod our cars. If not they will be out of work very fast, especially with this economy. So mod or don't mod but I can guarantee that the folks at Shelby are on the side of mod till you drop.

As far as the hood scoop goes it's a direct replica of the ones that were installed on the Shelby Cobra. It's a bit longer and wider to work with the size of the hood but it's all part of the heritage thing man. That's what this car is all about, heritage with a modern platform. The whole package looks good, no one has ever said to me "damn Don that hood scoop isn't real", usually it's more like that's one of the best looking cars I've seen even with it's fake scoops, worthless spoiler, funky wheels and strange pit stripes. I love my Shelby even with all of it's faults.

Don

Great response that gets to the heart of the question, to modify or not? My take on modifications is that Shelby Autos has a very nice catalog full of all kinds of "fakery" and performance parts. Pick up any copy of a mid 60's car magazine and you will find similar items sold back then by the old Snake Charmer. And if you want to have some real fun, go onto Ebay and attempt to buy any of these ORIGINAL Shelby aftermarket parts. Or for that matter attempt to buy one of the 60's Shelby cars. There will be a time when original Shelby Parts for the new SGTs, GT500 etc will be pure gold. Think about how many CS-6/GTH hoods have been made, how many lower grills with lights, etc etc. Opinions are like a--h--- , everyone has one, so hears mine. If you choose to modify, use ORIGINAL Shelby or Ford parts, (never never sell or throw away the parts you remove), and carefully think through any modification by asking yourself "what am I going to gain with this mod ? " Cutting a hold in your SGT hood to make it functional gains what ? Cutting a hole in your quarter panel to make the side scoops functional gains what ? If you don't have some sort of racing aspirations then these type mods have no practical effects except to get debris and crud into areas of the car that would not be good. I love the SGT, have modified mine using Shelby/Ford parts, and at 60 years old, I'm reliving 1966 all over again with my :happy feet: Shelby SGT with one huge exception, I can afford to buy a Shelby this time around. :happy feet:

Deep down, I also think that the "Shelbyness" of the car is in the real performance add-ons, such as the performance upgrades.

How about a fire breathing 500+ HP Ford Racing Supercharger sitting under a functional hood scoop!

post-12804-1244358177_thumb.jpg

But, the 20% of me that is not completely convinced says to make the hood scoop functional and a lower grill to keep the radiator from taking a rock.

Yeah, make it functional and add the lower grill/rackguard. Great idea!!

post-12804-1244358119_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1244358145_thumb.jpg

Chip

post-12804-1244358119_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1244358145_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1244358177_thumb.jpg

Archived