TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dirt Road Shelby GT's

Reino

We after some of us hijacked another thread I though a topic needed to be started for us dirt road homeowners who drive our cars over that same dirt road. The daily scorn of driving it, and knowing it will be dirty by the time you get to the hard surface road is horrible. This is a place for us to sit back, unwind and bitch about it, with others who will understand, because they live through the same situations.

The only thing keeping my sanity is being able to garage it after driving it and knowing it should be clean until the next adventure. Right now it has a slight coating on pollen, which is just as bad.

Worse then driving the SGT is riding a motorcycle down the same roadway on a daily basis.

We after some of us hijacked another thread I though a topic needed to be started for us dirt road homeowners who drive our cars over that same dirt road. The daily scorn of driving it, and knowing it will be dirty by the time you get to the hard surface road is horrible. This is a place for us to sit back, unwind and bitch about it, with others who will understand, because they live through the same situations.

The only thing keeping my sanity is being able to garage it after driving it and knowing it should be clean until the next adventure. Right now it has a slight coating on pollen, which is just as bad.

Worse then driving the SGT is riding a motorcycle down the same roadway on a daily basis.

We dirt road Shelby guys need to hang together and give each other support and encouragement. I am waiting to win the lottery so I can pave my 0.5 miles to the hard surfaced road. In the meantime I wash the Shelby after every outing and love the days after a nice, gentile rain that settles the dust. We should be handicapped at any car show. I feel your pain Renio.

Tips – drive really, really, really slow; go early in the morning before the sun burns off the little moisture the gravel has; look for really windy days provided it is not a tail wind; never, never, never buy a black Shelby GT; never do any burn outs until you hit the pavement; realize you still have the best looking car on the road even if it has a little dust on it.

I know what u mean I live in a small town that has dirt roads everywhere... I have family and friends that live down dirt roads that I visit every weekend and I dont get to drive the shelby that much on weekends cause I have to drive my wifes jeep everywhere... as a matter fact my stangs are neglegted just sitting in the shop...

I copied the paragraph below from my earlier reply in the 91 octane sticker topic. About the only other thing I have to add to it concerns other drivers on the road. Most of my neighbors are fairly okay when it comes to being courteous for oncoming traffic. But sometimes you do get the occasional driver that doesn't slow down for oncoming traffic. They'll be doing 45 or 50 down the road and you see a cloud of dust rolling from behind their vehicle. The only thing you can do is pull way over to the side; stop and roll up your windows and let the dust settle before you continue on. My truck has a small chip in the window from a stone kicked up from an encounter with a young kid in another truck. Things like this tick me off. If you guys are like me you only drive your cars on weekends. One thing I do to avoid traffic is get up very early and take a spin around 8. Everyone is usually still in bed and you have the road to yourself. This is one counter measure I use to avoid chips in the paint or windshield.

Oh by the way, the 07 SGT we have is black. That one is the old ladies car hence the reason why I catch hell if I take HER car and get it dirty. I usually get this :finger: if I don't wash it down good after a run into town. :lol: Better hers than mine! :spiteful:

I have 2 miles before I get to the county road. 2 MILES!! That is no B.S. It's all dirt and crushed granite. PLays hell on the paint. I usually try to drive down the middle where the most traffic drives. Less stones but more dust. Speaking of dust, don't you just love all the dirt that comes out of the lug holes when you're washing the rims off? The dirt just keeps coming and leaves that nice tan stain down the sidewall of the tire when it drys off. It's just a bitch to keep the car clean. Oh sure you can rinse it down each time you get home but then you get hard water stains. I'm seriously going to look into some kind of rinse agent I can hook up to the hose after each drive. There must be some kind of product out there for us.

Reino - you want to take charge of this and be the moderator; be my guest.

Mike

Ha Ha...I just caught this thread...I don't live on a dirt road, but I do have to drive down my alley to put my SGT in the garage...and living out here in DRY west Texas, the dirt and gravel dust has been flying for a while now...I clean the car in my garage, put tire dressing on it and when I hit the pavement, the tires look like $4it...and I'm real familiar with driving VERY slowly down the alley and hoping that there isn't a tail wind when I go to turn into the garage....I feel your pain guys...City said I could get the alley paved when I came up with the money...go figure!

Ha Ha...I just caught this thread...I don't live on a dirt road, but I do have to drive down my alley to put my SGT in the garage...and living out here in DRY west Texas, the dirt and gravel dust has been flying for a while now...I clean the car in my garage, put tire dressing on it and when I hit the pavement, the tires look like $4it...and I'm real familiar with driving VERY slowly down the alley and hoping that there isn't a tail wind when I go to turn into the garage....I feel your pain guys...City said I could get the alley paved when I came up with the money...go figure!

Tire dressing is a four letter word to me. :hysterical: Ya just don't use it. The dust sticks. As a matter of fact I even instructed my dealership when I picked up my cars not to put any of that on the tires just because of that reason.

Tire dressing is a four letter word to me. :hysterical: Ya just don't use it. The dust sticks. As a matter of fact I even instructed my dealership when I picked up my cars not to put any of that on the tires just because of that reason.

Try using VRT (vinyl, rubber and tires) from Adamspolishes.com.... Nice and flat black, dry.

I too drive a black SGT, but there are no dirt roads in California. :)

This topic has affected me psycologically!! Last night I had a nightmare - that I had to drive my perfectly clean Shelby GT down a dirt road...but not just dirt, mind you. It had rained, and the road was full of muddy potholes. As I drove down the road, my car was bouncing up and down in the unavoidable potholes, and mud was splashing up on my car. I was being tailgated by a Ford Expedition at the same time!! It was horrible!!! :runaway:

This topic has affected me psycologically!! Last night I had a nightmare - that I had to drive my perfectly clean Shelby GT down a dirt road...but not just dirt, mind you. It had rained, and the road was full of muddy potholes. As I drove down the road, my car was bouncing up and down in the unavoidable potholes, and mud was splashing up on my car. I was being tailgated by a Ford Expedition at the same time!! It was horrible!!! :runaway:

:confused:

Welcome to our world ilmor!

Sincerely,

The Dirt Road Shelby Club

Welcome to our world ilmor!

Sincerely,

The Dirt Road Shelby Club

I like that.....The Dirt Road Shelby Club. Has a good sound to it.

Potholes are something that I don't have to deal with too often. The County takes a grader once a month and keeps the road smooth.

I am not a fan of tire shine. Reminds me of spinning rims. :barf:

to each his/her own...

Well, I don't care for SHINEY tires, but I do use some Armour All on them then wipe them down so that they are at least all black and look like new tires...but not shiney like wet black paint...I don't like that look either...

Well, I don't care for SHINEY tires, but I do use some Armour All on them then wipe them down so that they are at least all black and look like new tires...but not shiney like wet black paint...I don't like that look either...

I am sure I would have different car cleaning strategies if I lived on a dirt road. My car gets dirty fast in the city. :)

I like that.....The Dirt Road Shelby Club. Has a good sound to it.

Potholes are something that I don't have to deal with too often. The County takes a grader once a month and keeps the road smooth.

I too like that....check out my new signature.

I too drive a black SGT, but there are no dirt roads in California. :)

Not true my man. I work in a very small town an hour north of Sacramento full of dirt roads.

I wash my car at least once a week at work and once at home.

Ken

Not true my man. I work in a very small town an hour north of Sacramento full of dirt roads.

I wash my car at least once a week at work and once at home.

Ken

Yes. I was just :poke: :tease: :stirpot:

:lurk:

my uncle lives out in the country on a dirt road and people drive like maniacs on it...even in little cars. :wacko:

but i dont visit him in my SGT i take another vehicle.

based on the above application.......Membership DENIED :hysterical:

at least you guys wont be bitchin about my dirty wheel wells in my pics..................

...........kindof hard to keep them clean.

Chris

Dirty wheel wells are the least of my worries. :hysterical:

I tell you what. I won't ever criticize anyone's vehicle because I know how much of a bitch it is to keep them clean. And this is another issue that us Dirt Road Shelby guys deal with. After you've spent the day getting your car nice and clean, waxed and looking good; then you don't want to drive it just because of all the work you just put into it getting it looking respectable again. Sound familiar guys??

Dirty wheel wells are the least of my worries. :hysterical:

I tell you what. I won't ever criticize anyone's vehicle because I know how much of a bitch it is to keep them clean. And this is another issue that us Dirt Road Shelby guys deal with. After you've spent the day getting your car nice and clean, waxed and looking good; then you don't want to drive it just because of all the work you just put into it getting it looking respectable again. Sound familiar guys??

Yup, it sounds way too familiar.

It appears that we need to setup some criteria for membership in the “The Dirt Road Shelby Club” since it is such an exclusive club that people are clamoring to get into. We need to decide at least how long the dirt road to pavement has to be before membership can be granted. For example, Mikecmm has 2.0 miles of dirt road to the pavement and earlk1744 has certified he has 0.5 blocks to a hard surface (but to complicate things he has a dirt parking lot to deal with).

What REALLY ticks you off is spending all day cleaning your car up and not even leaving the garage, then go out to it the next morning, and it's covered in fine dirt...can't get away from that stuff out here in West Texas...even in the garage! I've always heard that BLACK is a full time job, but I'm starting to think that Vista Blue is also a full time job!

What REALLY ticks you off is spending all day cleaning your car up and not even leaving the garage, then go out to it the next morning, and it's covered in fine dirt...can't get away from that stuff out here in West Texas...even in the garage! I've always heard that BLACK is a full time job, but I'm starting to think that Vista Blue is also a full time job!

Carl, I can relate to the above statement, I assure you. You need to go to autozone and get you a California Duster. http://www.calcarduster.com/ they are like 10 bucks. It takes about 5 mins to dust your car off and will not scratch it at all, I use it everytime Im gonna drive her.

Chris

Carl, I can relate to the above statement, I assure you. You need to go to autozone and get you a California Duster. http://www.calcarduster.com/ they are like 10 bucks. It takes about 5 mins to dust your car off and will not scratch it at all, I use it everytime Im gonna drive her.

Chris

I've got one, it's just frustrating to have to use it after the car sits in the garage over night!!! I've accused my wife of sliding her car in there causing the dust to settle on the SGT...she swears she comes in slow...yeah, right!!!! LOL

Yeah well I was brilliant in my color choices. One black and the other....Vista Blue :hysterical: I have to laugh because I love these colors so much and knew what I was in for. The good news is my Merc is desert tan. No work required here. The dust and dirt blends right in with the paint.

001.jpg

Put me in for membership, I have about 3/4 mile of gravel before I hit pavement but even then there are numerous gravel roads intersecting the main highway and ever time a car gets on the highway a large dust cloud follows. I use a California duster before I leave the house and then again when I get home at night, it's a never ending battlle. I chose a white car for this very reason, doesn't solve the problem but I couldn't imagine cleaning a black car while living on gravel. We need some kind of force field around our cars to deflect the dirt and gravel !

Don

Archived