TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do's and Don'ts when approaching a salesman?

chivas1

Hello fellow Shelby members,

I was wondering what does it take to get a good deal when car buying. And as the title says, what experience did you have when you purchased your GT500. How many times did you go to the dealers? Any and all tips are welcomed!

Thanks for reading this post.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fleet Mgr. or AAA rep if they have one. I find a phone call ahead of time is helpful to arrange a meeting. I usually ask to see the invoice and depending on the model and popularity my offer would begin at $500.00 over invoice. The economy has changed since my last car purchase so do your homework online and findout the MSRP, invoice price, and typical average

My advice, shop online and when you get the deal you want then go in. Try to get your own loan from your bank or credit union.

I agree, that is the way to got (internet sales). One pointer I might add... do not finance through the dealership, if possible. IF YOU DO, make sure that you seal the deal on amount financed, *not* monthly payment.

When I got my GT500 they told me $50,000, which equalled "x" monthly. They then came back and said "due to credit your monthly would be "x" plus "this much more." At the time I was willing to take the deal, and ended up financing $52,000 (unbeknownst to me directly)...

Live and learn :shrug:

I can't speak for all dealerships but the ones I have shopped at in the past, salesman are pretty much useless. They can;t give you prices, tell you anything about the car or value your trade. I'm not real sure what purpose they serve.

I agree with the above poster about the credit union thing. Mine will even tell me my credit score and the value of the vehicle per their "book" (whatever that is) so I am well armed when I go to shop. The main thing is do not impulse buy.

Look online at what you want, learn the specs of the car and the prices (Edmunds is a great resource). Go to the respective manufacturer websites and see what rebates are being offered. Case and point - I knew GM was offering a credit union discount depending on certain factors on top of additional discounts. I went to look at a GM truck and asked what the discount was was me being a member of such-and-such credit union - not to the salesman but to the finance guy. I was told $250.

Unknown to him I had already talked to GM directly and had a letter stating my discount was actually over $2500 additional.

I do not know if he was lying or just didn't know but I do know I have always gleaned a lot more info online than I have ever got in a dealership.

Research, research, research.

No slap to our resident salesman but that's the way it is with me.

Do your homework ahead of time. Options you want, rebates, incentives, and price. Edmunds.com is a good web site. There are others too. Know what you are willing to pay for the car. Then contact the dealer and ask to speak with Fleet Sales Manger. Set up a meeting time ask him/her. Have him/her show you the dealer cost invoice, NOT the window sticker invoice, and work from there. As stated before, the Fleet Mgr. can set a lower price. Don't even worry about the Sales guys on the floor go directly to the Fleet Mgr.

FIA Mike

I also appologize to the salesman, but go above them by phone prior to going to dealer. I have done this for many cars. Call ahead and talk to the new car sales manager. Tell him what you are after, and then call 1-2 other dealers. If they all agree to the same deal, then pursue the one that you liked the most on the phone, or has better service, etc...

Sometimes they will pass you to a salesman after agreeing to the deal. Once in a while, they will refuse to work this way, in which case, move on to the next dealer. If they won't work over the phone, don't waste your time.

I agree, that is the way to got (internet sales). One pointer I might add... do not finance through the dealership, if possible. IF YOU DO, make sure that you seal the deal on amount financed, *not* monthly payment.

When I got my GT500 they told me $50,000, which equalled "x" monthly. They then came back and said "due to credit your monthly would be "x" plus "this much more." At the time I was willing to take the deal, and ended up financing $52,000 (unbeknownst to me directly)...

Live and learn :shrug:

How do you end up financing $52K unbeknownist to you directly? You signed a blank contract?

And what does credit have to do with the amount financed? Credit will affect the interest rate, but has nothing to do with dollar amount financed.

You want to know both, total amount AND what the payment is in addition to the interest rate they are basin that payment on.

Do your homework ahead of time. Options you want, rebates, incentives, and price. Edmunds.com is a good web site. There are others too. Know what you are willing to pay for the car. Then contact the dealer and ask to speak with Fleet Sales Manger. Set up a meeting time ask him/her. Have him/her show you the dealer cost invoice, NOT the window sticker invoice, and work from there. As stated before, the Fleet Mgr. can set a lower price. Don't even worry about the Sales guys on the floor go directly to the Fleet Mgr.

FIA Mike

Why do you say the fleet manager can set a lower price? Unless you have a fleet number that is just a myth. And in many cases you can get a better deal under regular retail than you could through fleet with a fleet number. Government fleet accounts get better pricing, This is because of what the manufacturer sets. On a normal fleet account there are many times where you can get better incentives that is offered to the general public. Just depends on what programs are available at the time.

As for just buying retail, it does not matter who you go through because the invoice is the same regardless of whether it through the fleet manager, sales manager, owner, sales person or who ever.

Fleet Mgr. or AAA rep if they have one. I find a phone call ahead of time is helpful to arrange a meeting. I usually ask to see the invoice and depending on the model and popularity my offer would begin at $500.00 over invoice. The economy has changed since my last car purchase so do your homework online and findout the MSRP, invoice price, and typical average

Aside from something like a GT500 that is a limited model, you can have anything I have for $500 over invoice. So anytime you need a new car just let me know.

I can't speak for all dealerships but the ones I have shopped at in the past, salesman are pretty much useless. They can;t give you prices, tell you anything about the car or value your trade. I'm not real sure what purpose they serve.

I agree with the above poster about the credit union thing. Mine will even tell me my credit score and the value of the vehicle per their "book" (whatever that is) so I am well armed when I go to shop. The main thing is do not impulse buy.

Look online at what you want, learn the specs of the car and the prices (Edmunds is a great resource). Go to the respective manufacturer websites and see what rebates are being offered. Case and point - I knew GM was offering a credit union discount depending on certain factors on top of additional discounts. I went to look at a GM truck and asked what the discount was was me being a member of such-and-such credit union - not to the salesman but to the finance guy. I was told $250.

Unknown to him I had already talked to GM directly and had a letter stating my discount was actually over $2500 additional.

I do not know if he was lying or just didn't know but I do know I have always gleaned a lot more info online than I have ever got in a dealership.

Research, research, research.

No slap to our resident salesman but that's the way it is with me.

Sales people can't tell you prices (as far as discounting prices goes) nor value your trade because they are not allowed to! It isn't so much they can't, it is they are not allowed! Now if it is a good experienced sales person they may be able to give a price, but they are not the ones that appraise vehicles. A good experienced sales person may be able to give you a ballpark on what they "think" your trade "might" bring, but they still have to have the trade appraised to get an actual number on it.

The sales person's job is to properly qualify the buyer and help the customer select the right vehicle that will fit their needs and wants based on what they can afford. Then demonstrate the vehicle and take the customer on test drives. It is a process like anything else. Those that short cut the process usually end up with no sale at all.

As for not knowing anything about the car, chalk that up mostly to getting the new guy that recently started. It's a tough business and most people can't hack it. So the turn over is huge! Like a revolving door.

I see new sales people get a customer, and within the first 5 minutes they are in wanting plates to go a test drive and they have no information what the buyer's needs and wants are. Someone walks in and says, yeah, I want to look at a new Explorer. Off to the Explorers they go, the customer likes that one, off they go on a test drive in a $35k vehicle, then they come back, customer likes it, they work up the numbers, BAM! $700 month! Customer....oh, that much??? I can't afford $700 month! I need to be no more than $300 month! Oops!!!! WRONG VEHICLE!!!

Now try and show that customer the 3 year old used $12k - $15k Explorer they can afford after driving a nice brand new $35k Explorer. What are the odds they will like that after driving the $35k Explorer? Now had the sales person done their job properly they would have never shown the customer a new $35k Explorer in the first place! Had they done their job correctly and properly qualified the buyer they would have shown the customer one they could afford and had a much better chance of helping the customer find a vehicle they would have liked and purchased.

You would be amazed at how many people have no concept on what a payment would be based on dollar amount. You would "think" the average person knows basic math and would know there is no possible mathmatical way they could ever buy a $35k vehicle for $300 month! But there are many people that have no clue. This is where the sales person's job comes in! It is there job to properly qualify the buyer.

When they skip steps and short cut the system they burn through lots of customers and sell very few vehicles. The ones they do sell are for the most part lay down deals where the customer knew what they wanted, knew about what the payments would be, did their research and were buying the vehicle, period!

They say the national average a sales person should close is 20% - 25% of everyone you talk to. That is 1 out 4 to 1 out of 5 you make a sale. That is average. I see some sales people burn through 8 - 10 customers to get one sale. They need a LOT of people to talk to make any money in this business based on those numbers. Plus they are costing the dealership a lot of lost sales.

When I started out in this my focus wasn't on getting a sale. I put all my focus on high percentage of closing sales. If I could do that successfully then everything else would fall into place. One of the things I needed in order to do that was first to learn how to properly qualify the buyer. Then simplify the buying process. As a customer myself I HATED the hassle of being able to buy a car! I HATED the fact that they would waste 3 - 4 hours of my time going back and forth over a few dollars here and there. It shouldn't have to be that way. Here is what I can pay, if you can do that, I'll buy it! If not, no problem. Simple! But they never would make it that easy. So based on my own experience from buying cars I knew what I hated and didn't like and I refused to do that with my customers.

Now I do everything myself other than the financing part. I make the deal. I appraise the trade. I make it soooo easy to buy a car and there is no 3 - 4 hours of game playing. This is what you can buy the car for. This is what your trade is worth. This is your total out the door. Period! In and out within an hour! I sell between 60% - 70% of everyone I come face to face with. I have a very high closing ratio. I make it that easy. I sell 25% - 30% of all the cars our store sells in a month. I am always being told by customers they have never purchased a car so fast. Many will tell me you are not like all the other salesmen. LOL. You don't even seem like a salesman. Well, that is because I'm not! To me a salesman is someone that SELLS YOU. I don't sell anyone anything. I just help people buy a car. They can sell themselves on it. If they are not completely sure they want or like the car I rather they not buy it. Otherwise they end up with buyer's remorse and guess who them blame later? Oh I was pressured into buying it! I hear that a lot. People trying to trade out of car they owned less than year. They say they HATE the car. Well why did you buy it if you didn't like it? Oh I was pressured into buying it! I know there are some sales people that are good at that sort of thing. But I can't imagine being able to do it. It just doesn't feel right to me and I like to sleep at night without carrying any kind of guilt. Those that can, well those are the ones I consider the sleazy sales people. Perhaps I'm just lucky that our dealership doesn't expect that stuff from their sales people.

All I did was walk into the dealership, saw the GT500 on the showroom floor. Saw a $5,000 "market adjustment" add on. Told the salesman I would pay sticker (this was 2008). He got some paperwork together. Came back with a number about 1800 over sticker. I refused. Came back with a new number, still over. I pulled out my cell phone and explained that I had a Porsche 911 Carrera S on standby in Miami and didn't really care so much to pay over sticker. I was ready to walk out and all of a sudden it was sticker. Bought the car that night. The other salesmen were shocked I only paid sticker, apparently almost everyone else paid at least 55-60k.

I do most my research online, before ever setting foot in a dealership. Then make contact with an experienced person, sometimes a salesperson others a sales manager etc.

I dealt with the internet sales manager on my last deal, he was very helpful, informed, and could make deals on the spot. He contacted me after an email I sent, and things went very well. I dont mind dealing with sales people as long as they are informed. I hate the newbies that dont know jack about the cars they sell except what color it is....haha.

I am in real estate sales, a broker owning my own company, and I encourage people to take alot of classes, some in construction methods etc. While I also make sure they dont promise, or guarantee anything it is nice to be able to talk to a client with some knowledge base, and reference things with correct terminology. I like to walk through a property with a customer, and be able to say these joists are on 16" centers, and that is a good thing, better construction methods etc. Little things sometimes mean alot to clients.

One of my favorites and it still bugs me today, is when someone refers to an engine as a motor. Motors are electric, and an engine is an engine....lol

Now I do everything myself other than the financing part.

I have dealt with several dealerships where the salesman did everything including the financing and all of them resulted in a sale the first time. These are usually the ones I shop first as well when I'm in the market.

The "other way" usually results in a walk out.

I insist on bottom line of the vehicle and offered interest rates WITHOUT them running my credit. Understand I have already come in with my own financing but that may not mean it's the best rate. If they do not give me those two things THE FIRST TIME instead of that stupid "here's your payments with this amount down", I walk out.

If they will not do business with me BEFORE evaluating my trade. I walk out.

I've had several dealerships refuse to give me a price on the vehicle until they evaluated my trade.

My demands are simple and I am usually well versed in the vehicles I buy.

I wish my tractor dealership sold cars. That was the easiest buy I have EVER been though.

I can't speak for people who does not research before buying. I guess they deserve what they get which is pretty much why the American economy is in the shape it's in.

That made me snicker a little bit.

I think you know what was meant by that. Even though they are still building these they are still limited. If I had any 08 or 09's then those could be had for less with the current economy. But the point is, if there is a model in demand that we can only get a limited number of, I would not sell it for just $500 over invoice. The 2010 will be limited and so far we are only guaranteed to get just one. I would not sell it for $500 over invoice, especially since we are paying $1,500 just to get one.

I think you know what was meant by that. Even though they are still building these they are still limited. If I had any 08 or 09's then those could be had for less with the current economy. But the point is, if there is a model in demand that we can only get a limited number of, I would not sell it for just $500 over invoice. The 2010 will be limited and so far we are only guaranteed to get just one. I would not sell it for $500 over invoice, especially since we are paying $1,500 just to get one.

No, I know. LOL It was just kind of funny. " Limited" Ha ha ha. I heard the 2010 actually were kind of being built in low numbers. Probably cause there's still to many '08's and '09's.. Hey Dude, are there still any NEW '07's left out there? Not buying, just curious.

Sales people can't tell you prices (as far as discounting prices goes) nor value your trade because they are not allowed to! It isn't so much they can't, it is they are not allowed! Now if it is a good experienced sales person they may be able to give a price, but they are not the ones that appraise vehicles. A good experienced sales person may be able to give you a ballpark on what they "think" your trade "might" bring, but they still have to have the trade appraised to get an actual number on it.

The sales person's job is to properly qualify the buyer and help the customer select the right vehicle that will fit their needs and wants based on what they can afford. Then demonstrate the vehicle and take the customer on test drives. It is a process like anything else. Those that short cut the process usually end up with no sale at all.

As for not knowing anything about the car, chalk that up mostly to getting the new guy that recently started. It's a tough business and most people can't hack it. So the turn over is huge! Like a revolving door.

I see new sales people get a customer, and within the first 5 minutes they are in wanting plates to go a test drive and they have no information what the buyer's needs and wants are. Someone walks in and says, yeah, I want to look at a new Explorer. Off to the Explorers they go, the customer likes that one, off they go on a test drive in a $35k vehicle, then they come back, customer likes it, they work up the numbers, BAM! $700 month! Customer....oh, that much??? I can't afford $700 month! I need to be no more than $300 month! Oops!!!! WRONG VEHICLE!!!

Now try and show that customer the 3 year old used $12k - $15k Explorer they can afford after driving a nice brand new $35k Explorer. What are the odds they will like that after driving the $35k Explorer? Now had the sales person done their job properly they would have never shown the customer a new $35k Explorer in the first place! Had they done their job correctly and properly qualified the buyer they would have shown the customer one they could afford and had a much better chance of helping the customer find a vehicle they would have liked and purchased.

You would be amazed at how many people have no concept on what a payment would be based on dollar amount. You would "think" the average person knows basic math and would know there is no possible mathmatical way they could ever buy a $35k vehicle for $300 month! But there are many people that have no clue. This is where the sales person's job comes in! It is there job to properly qualify the buyer.

When they skip steps and short cut the system they burn through lots of customers and sell very few vehicles. The ones they do sell are for the most part lay down deals where the customer knew what they wanted, knew about what the payments would be, did their research and were buying the vehicle, period!

They say the national average a sales person should close is 20% - 25% of everyone you talk to. That is 1 out 4 to 1 out of 5 you make a sale. That is average. I see some sales people burn through 8 - 10 customers to get one sale. They need a LOT of people to talk to make any money in this business based on those numbers. Plus they are costing the dealership a lot of lost sales.

When I started out in this my focus wasn't on getting a sale. I put all my focus on high percentage of closing sales. If I could do that successfully then everything else would fall into place. One of the things I needed in order to do that was first to learn how to properly qualify the buyer. Then simplify the buying process. As a customer myself I HATED the hassle of being able to buy a car! I HATED the fact that they would waste 3 - 4 hours of my time going back and forth over a few dollars here and there. It shouldn't have to be that way. Here is what I can pay, if you can do that, I'll buy it! If not, no problem. Simple! But they never would make it that easy. So based on my own experience from buying cars I knew what I hated and didn't like and I refused to do that with my customers.

Now I do everything myself other than the financing part. I make the deal. I appraise the trade. I make it soooo easy to buy a car and there is no 3 - 4 hours of game playing. This is what you can buy the car for. This is what your trade is worth. This is your total out the door. Period! In and out within an hour! I sell between 60% - 70% of everyone I come face to face with. I have a very high closing ratio. I make it that easy. I sell 25% - 30% of all the cars our store sells in a month. I am always being told by customers they have never purchased a car so fast. Many will tell me you are not like all the other salesmen. LOL. You don't even seem like a salesman. Well, that is because I'm not! To me a salesman is someone that SELLS YOU. I don't sell anyone anything. I just help people buy a car. They can sell themselves on it. If they are not completely sure they want or like the car I rather they not buy it. Otherwise they end up with buyer's remorse and guess who them blame later? Oh I was pressured into buying it! I hear that a lot. People trying to trade out of car they owned less than year. They say they HATE the car. Well why did you buy it if you didn't like it? Oh I was pressured into buying it! I know there are some sales people that are good at that sort of thing. But I can't imagine being able to do it. It just doesn't feel right to me and I like to sleep at night without carrying any kind of guilt. Those that can, well those are the ones I consider the sleazy sales people. Perhaps I'm just lucky that our dealership doesn't expect that stuff from their sales people.

ShelbyDude,

You sound like a quality salesperson. I, too, sell for a living, and I work alot like you. I don't untilize pressure, but rather sell on my knowledge of what I am selling and how to make it work for the customer. Keep up the good work, as I am sure your customers appreciate you...

Some people think it is all about pressure tactics, etc... It only works if you arn't interested in repeat business, in my opinion....

One of my favorites and it still bugs me today, is when someone refers to an engine as a motor. Motors are electric, and an engine is an engine....lol

Does that mean my Harley is a enginecycle not a Motorcycle :hysterical:

Just Kidding

No, I know. LOL It was just kind of funny. " Limited" Ha ha ha. I heard the 2010 actually were kind of being built in low numbers. Probably cause there's still to many '08's and '09's.. Hey Dude, are there still any NEW '07's left out there? Not buying, just curious.

I think the 2010 is going to be limited because of production being delayed until June. But I think that may have also been due to to many 08 and 09's left.

I don't know if any 07's are left. We no longer have 07 model years in our locate system. We can only search 08, 09 and 10

Bravo Shelbydude!

I am stunned at how many people complain about getting ripped off in the car business. If an average consumer does some minimal research on the particular car they want to buy, there is no reason to over pay for the car. People want great selection, service, facilities & the lowest price & highest trade-in value. Well, that can be done to a certain point. The amount of money it takes to maintain a high quality dealership is mind boggling. This is why we are seeing GM & Chrylser dealers going out of business. They aren't profitable enough to be able to maintain a long lasting & high quality service experience for the customer. Service, training, parts, equipment, inventory floorplan interest all costs money. Offering $100.00 invoice on a car today may seem generous to the hopful buyer, however, the salesperson & the dealer need a lot more profit than that in order to be there for you in the long run. Salespeople get paid on the profit not amount a customer is spending. If a customer pays $50k for a car that actually had a msrp of $58K & the profit was zero, well the salesperson made a whopping $50.00....BEFORE TAXES.

The bottom line is that no one screws anyone w/o their permmission. If someone came to your house to buy your wifes used Ford Explorer & you were asking $10,000.00, would you immediately drop the price down to 9,000.00 if the buyer asked for "your best price"? No, you'd justify your asking price & then you'd ask him to make a reasonable offer & then go from there. You have to put yourself in the other guys shoes. If you are prepared to buy a certain car, do your homework, select the dealer w/ the best reputation for sales & service & go in tell the salesperson what you are looking to accomplish. If they jerk you around, you always have the power of "no".

When the dust settles in the auto industry, everyone will benefit from fewer stores but stonger & more profitable dealerships. The sales & service experience will be much better.

I used vehix and found a dealer that no one would ever think would have had gt500s last winter. They only had 6 focuses, 2 f150s, and for some reason 4 gt500s. Apparently because they didn't want them, they sold them for sticker when other dealers were getting $20k+ over sticker, and ford kept allocating more gt500s for them. No one local could afford, but everyone from the tristate was seeing them on the internet and saving a lot...

You could always talk to Michael Morris (a moderator on this site). He has a dealership and can sell to you and have the car shipped for you.

Jody, as far a motor vs engine goes, you are correct. However last time I checked I have not seen an enginesports company, but I have seen motorsports companies. Also the 5.4 is a "modular motor" according to Ford. So while not techically correct, the words are interchangeable.

Bravo Shelbydude!

I am stunned at how many people complain about getting ripped off in the car business. If an average consumer does some minimal research on the particular car they want to buy, there is no reason to over pay for the car.

And here is the problem. People should not have to research to keep from getting ripped off at the dealership. Me personally, I trust nobody when it comes to my money but why should dealerships be set up to "screw" people? Call it capitalism, the American way or whatever, having to "arm" yourself before making a major purchase like a car is wrong and that is why people have stopped doing it!

Obviously this does not apply to everyone and it would seem our resident dealers are the exception but I would be willing to bet even they at some point and time have taken advantage of the unsuspecting person.

Yes, I love cars, yes, I know how to play the game as most here do but it doesn't make it right. You want to save the auto industry? Fix the dealerships, cut the UAW, pay a decent wage instead of over-inflated paychecks for someone not skilled to do anything except spin a nut and pass that savings on to the product with the best price put on the window every time, all the time. I don't go to Brookshires to buy a steak and then sit down to negotiate the price, rebates and etc. I have yet to have one of my stakes have an additional mark up for $900 window tint, $700 "sealant" and the other crap put on it and I always come home with a steak when I go to buy one. Why should it be different with a car?

Archived